• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
I think the reason why I love Grovile so much (along with Treecko and Sceptile) is because Treecko was my first Pokemon, and the fact that Ash's Grovile was pretty badass in the anime.

domokl

Smash Lord
On the flipside I have my reasons for why I think mewtwo is more likely than sceptile but I don't really feel like its worth argueing at the moment as I am a bit tired.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Mewtwo has been considered by Sakurai, the fact they are bringing popular, relevant characters like Lucina really makes me think that the demand for Mewtwo will be fulfilled for playability, they need the genetic Pokemon for Smash 4 (and X and Y) to sell well.

Last edited:

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
I think we won't get another Pokemon newcomer as why wouldn't he show it off with Greninja? Two trailers centering around a Pokemon seems kind of redundant.

Last edited:

Weeman

Smash Crusader
I really don't what to think about Ridley anymore, on one side it could just be deconfirmed since the direct as a boss, but on the other hand all these teasing about his role is so weird, considering they hinted at it since they revealed the Pyrosphere stage last year, yet we haven't actually seen it yet, it's just... well i don't think it can be just a tease for a boss hazard.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
I think we won't get another Pokemon newcomer as why wouldn't he show it off with Greninja? Two trailers centering around a Pokemon seems kind of redundant.
Which is exactly why the second one will be left to surprise us in-game. I think the only other characters that will be revealed are a Zelda newcomer and Ridley. Also, a veteran to go with each of them, as well as one or two to fill up the gaps. Personally, I think Wario, Ice Climbers, Ness (Zelda newcomer trailer), and Snake (Ridley trailer) will all be revealed before launch.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Which is exactly why the second one will be left to surprise us in-game. I think the only other characters that will be revealed are a Zelda newcomer and Ridley. Also, a veteran to go with each of them, as well as one or two to fill up the gaps. Personally, I think Wario, Ice Climbers, Ness (Zelda newcomer trailer), and Snake (Ridley trailer) will all be revealed before launch.
I think were going to get a Bandana Dee + Meta Knight trailer on August and a Ness reveal on the 27th.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
I think were going to get a Bandana Dee + Meta Knight trailer on August and a Ness reveal on the 27th.
Bandana Dee doesn't strike me as a hype builder, and Meta Knight makes sense to keep secret, in my opinion. I think the trailer for the theoretical Zelda newcomer may well be the 27th, similar to July 14th being the anniversary of F-Zero X.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Bandana Dee doesn't strike me as a hype builder, and Meta Knight makes sense to keep secret, in my opinion. I think the trailer for the theoretical Zelda newcomer may well be the 27th, similar to July 14th being the anniversary of F-Zero X.
The reason I believe we will get a Meta Knight reveal (Along with Bandana Dee) is that him, Wario, and Ice Climbers are the only starting characters from Brawl not to be shown yet. While we have tons of unlockable characters that we know of. Including Marth, Luigi, Captain Falcon, Toon Link, Sonic, and finally Lucario.

I would be surprised if they flipped the Unlockable characters like this. I'm not even sure this game will even have Unlockable characters because we know so much.

I think the reason we aren't seeing Meta Knight, Wario, and Ice Climbers is because those 3 are getting heavy reworks to their moveset. Ice Climbers probably be changed in some way, Wario also, and Meta Knight to get nerfed.

My idea is for Meta Knight to be shown along with Bandana Dee, Wario to be shown off with a Rhythm Heaven rep, and Ice Climbers with another retro character (Takamaru or Excitebiker?).

That's my reasoning.

Shroob

Sup?
Am I the only one who believes that we're just NOT getting a newcomer for Donkey Kong? I just don't see it happening.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I really don't what to think about Ridley anymore, on one side it could just be deconfirmed since the direct as a boss, but on the other hand all these teasing about his role is so weird, considering they hinted at it since they revealed the Pyrosphere stage last year, yet we haven't actually seen it yet, it's just... well i don't think it can be just a tease for a boss hazard.
if that might helps and if you're not worried about breaking your mouse wheel, ENJOY!:

http://smashboards.com/threads/the-...splounge-water.324284/page-1099#post-17045763

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
My opinion on the all the villain characters yet to be confirmed:

Mewtwo: Practically guaranteed. Most requested character worldwide, widely promoted with two Mega Evos, a movie, anime appearance, etc.
The one character that would effectively move units.

Ridley: Also extremely likely. He was indirectly deconfirmed, but never directly shown. All this teasing has to be building up to something, and he is highly requested too, and the last real major character from Metroid.

King K. Rool: Fairly likely. Donkey Kong is overdue for a newcomer, and the only likely choices are him and Dixie, and Lucina could indicate Krool and Dixie can co-exist.

Ganondorf: His playstyle is most likely going to remain the same, but I think his actual move set will be completely differentiated from Captain Falcon.
His sword is also a possibility, but could this playstyle overrlapwith Ike's? Personally, I think the best option is to replace him with Ganon and his trident.

Ghirahim: If the current batch of newcomers is any indication, Sakurai likes new faces. Skyward Sword may be past its prime, but its still the newest Zelda, and the one where most of Zelda's new content comes from. There seems to be an emphasis on uniqueness for Smash 4's newcomers, and Ghirahim not only fits that description here, but in his own series as well. In addition, he will receive a resurgence of his already noteworthy popularity with his appearance in Hyrule Warriors. If there is a Zelda newcomer, and there should be, he would be the smartest choice, not to mention the most fabulous.

Khoru

Smash Champion
The reason I believe we will get a Meta Knight reveal (Along with Bandana Dee) is that him, Wario, and Ice Climbers are the only starting characters from Brawl not to be shown yet. While we have tons of unlockable characters that we know of. Including Marth, Luigi, Captain Falcon, Toon Link, Sonic, and finally Lucario.
what is lucas

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
I think there may be a possibility that we will get a trailer for all of them in August. Bandana Dee + Meta Knight, Excitebiker + Ice Climbers, and Wario + Rhythm Heaven character. The reason is that all of them have an anniversary that relates to August.
  • Kirby's Dreamland came out August 1st, 1992.
  • Rhythm Tengoku released on August 3rd, 2006.
  • Excitebots: Trick Racing was on August 30th, 2011.
That's what I'm thinking will happen.

what is lucas
I left him out because we really don't know his fate. He might be getting a huge rework, he may get cut, who knows. However I do think we will get an answer on July 27th because that's when Mother 1 came out.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I think there may be a possibility that we will get a trailer for all of them in August. Bandana Dee + Meta Knight, Excitebiker + Ice Climbers, and Wario + Rhythm Heaven character. The reason is that all of them have an anniversary that relates to August.

I left him out because we really don't know his fate. He might be getting a huge rework, he may get cut, who knows. However I do think we will get an answer on July 27th because that's when Mother 1 came out.
Xenoblade also released in Europe in August.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Wario + Rhythm Heaven character.
This is pretty much why I think they're holding Wario back for so long.

For the record, a Wario game has an anniversary on August too. Maybe another Captain Falcon situation?

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Xenoblade also released in Europe in August.
Sure, why not? What if we get a huge blowout of characters for the August Nintendo direct? Maybe we will get like 6 trailers. CoroCoro said they are going to release the full character list, so why not?

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617

So, I was just checking wikipedia and I found that the Japanese release date of Paper Mario on the n64 was on August 11 2000.

Why I'm torturing myself SO MUCH?

EDIT: TTYD JP: July 22 2004 OMG Why I did not know that?

Last edited:

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
So, I was just checking wikipedia and I found that the Japanese release date of Paper Mario on the n64 was on August 11 2000.

Why I'm torturing myself SO MUCH?
And Takamaru released for GBA on August 10th, and on Wii August 19th. So many anniversaries in August!

Last edited:

Swift Fox

Smash Lord

Kirby's Dreamland game's real anniversary is on April 27 so I find it pretty unlikely that any one will reveal for 2nd region's anniversary.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
If anyone doesn't know, there are like six or seven Metroid anniversaries in August.

Not saying it means anything, but August is by far Metroid's BIGGEST month.

I made a "BIG" joke. Happy?

Oh, and I think that Ridley's fate will remain hidden until release.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Ouendan releasted at July 28th...YOU KNOW WHAT THIS MEANS FELLAS?

ARE YOU READY?

3! 2! 1! GO!

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Huge List of Maybe Relevant Anniversaries!:
  • Kirby's Dreamland: August 1st, 1992. (Bandana Dee + Meta Knight?)
  • Mother 1: July 27th, 1989. (Ness and/or Lucas reveal? SDCC's final day.)
  • Rhythm Tengoku: August 3rd, 2006. (Wario + RH Rep?)
  • Excitebots: Trick Racing: August 30th, 2011 (Ice Climbers + Excite Biker?)
  • The Mysterious Murasame Castle GBA: August 10th, 2004. (Takamaru?)
  • Paper Mario: August 10th, 2000. (Paper Mario?)
What are some other dates?

Last edited:

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
Well, Pikmin 3 was released on August 4th(in NA), so does that mean....

Plasm Wraith confirmed.

A man can dream...:c

Last edited:

Swift Fox

Smash Lord

LIVE ROSTER PREDICTION
I will update here every time the next character is revealed.

THE REMAINING

vvv Order from pessimistic to optimistic depending on what table is used vvv

NEW-COMER #1: CHORUS MEN
-Gematsu Leak

NEW-COMER #2: SHULK
-Gematsu Leak

NEW-COMER #3: KRYSTAL (biased)
-Star Fox only got one fighter and hasn't gotten any stages since E3 2013, if it was because of one of it is Sauria it will give too obvious of a hint of Krystal. Sakurai will want to hold it for later for better surprise.
-Namco is working with Sakurai who happen to be developer of Star Fox: Assault.
-While Star Fox only has reps from its classic games, Krystal, being a role in modern Star Fox games, got potential thanks to Rosalina and Greninja which also from their respective series' modern games.
-Unique moveset thanks to her staff. In case of Palutena's inclusion she will become semi-clone just as much as Wolf is to Fox,...
-The next Smash Bros being 4th installment = Star Fox is given one more rep which is yet to be used...
-Kremlings, created by Rare, also found in Smash Run. Krystal was also created by Rare so she got good chance thanks to Kremlings.

CUT #12: NESS

CUT #11: JIGGLYPUFF

CUT #10: WOLF or FALCO
-While Star Fox NEED to have one more veteran, whoever got it first will fall to here (and then this line will be deleted anyway; one cut down). I'm not going to rate their chances independently.
-Falco is two-time veteran and well-loved by competitive fans, however, his importance role to Star Fox series itself is no more important than Wolf. He is also a bit more of a clone of Fox than Wolf as well. Falco receive "likely" status but Wolf will receive that status instead when he actually got in first before him.
-Fox's Landmaster has Falco's aerial speed = Falco must receive new FS or nothing at all (cut)

CUT #9: GANONDORF

CUT #8: META KNIGHT

NEW-COMER #4: BANDANA DEE (biased)
-The only best 4th rep of Kirby series.
-Sakurai is the main director of Kirby and SSB series.
-King Dedede no longer have Waddle throw - they become Smash Run enemies and that boosts Bandana Dee's chance due to Waddle Dee being similar to ordinary R.O.B.s in SubSpace Emissary.
--The next Smash Bros being 4th installment = Kirby is given one more rep which is yet to be used...

CUT #7: MR. GAME & WATCH

CUT #6: R.O.B.

CUT #5: FALCO or WOLF
-While Star Fox NEED to have one more veteran, whoever didn't get it first will fall to here. I'm not going to rate their chances independently.
-Falco is two-time veteran and well-loved by competitive fans, however, his importance role to Star Fox series itself is no more important than Wolf. He is also a bit more of a clone of Fox than Wolf as well. Falco receive "likely" status but Wolf will receive that status instead when he actually got in first before him.
-Fox's Landmaster has Falco's aerial speed = Falco must receive new FS or nothing at all (cut)

CUT #4: LUCAS

RETURN #1: MEWTWO
-"We are thinking about it." - Although he's considering about it, it was really old news now. It was before we knew it was "Mega Evolution" and before we knew other Pokemon can Mega Evolve. Maybe Sakurai eventually left it slide.
-Greninja's reveal and Lucario and Charizard got Mega Evolutions before Mewtwo, therefore 6th gen has been repped and fulfilled. Jigglypuff will add cherry on top for its fairy type. No place for Mewtwo.
-In Melee, Mario series had 5 reps and lost 1 rep in Brawl. Pokemon, while have two extra reps in Brawl, will probably lose one rep and leave out 5th rep to Jigglypuff. Especially true when SSB4 no longer has transformation characters, character per slot is being into consideration as well. One rep down, one slot up, even.
-Greninja immune Mewtwo's Psychic type moves. Greninja is Mewtwo's biggest chance killer.

NEW-COMER #5: DIXIE KONG (biased)
-Forbidden 7

CUT #3: SNAKE
-Too realistic weapons, relevant to why Sakurai decided to redesigned the Ray Gun - here
-Do not expect alot of third-party characters - here
-Kojima begged Sakurai to include him
-SteelDriver (new item), Sheik's grenade (new move), Jetpack (new item), and Olimar's new recovery move all similar to Snake's moves and thus hurt his chance.

RETURN #2: ROY
-FE already got 4 reps!

CUT #2: IVYSAUR
-Solozard

CUT #1: SQUIRTLE
-Solozard

OTHER CUTS...
Dr. Mario
Pichu
Young Link
(Blatantly replaced by Toon Link)
P.Trainer
What do anyone think? Oh, and please do me a favor? Please don't bring up arguments about Ridley and King K. Rool, ok? I'm entitled to my opinion :)

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
August is going to be a huge month because it's the last direct before the Japanese release date.

In essence, it's Sakurai's last chance to wow us. It's his last card he can play.

Like if we get another Smash Direct in August I'm going to flip out.

domokl

Smash Lord
August is going to be a huge month because it's the last direct before the Japanese release date.

In essence, it's Sakurai's last chance to wow us. It's his last card he can play.

Like if we get another Smash Direct in August I'm going to flip out.
Exactly why I'm expecting a big villians trailer to happen in august. the anniverasires just line up too perfectly and we have a significant lack of villians at the moment.

Niala

Smash Ace
I would be surprised if they flipped the Unlockable characters like this. I'm not even sure this game will even have Unlockable characters because we know so much.
I understand this is probably quite childish, but that would ruin the experience for me to the point where I just wouldn't buy the 3DS version, particularly given that I'll know three weeks in advance whether or not that's true. I would be the saddest panda there ever was.

Strictly speaking, we don't know the fate of the other veterans any better than we know Lucas'. People just have an assumption (largely due to Gematsu) that he won't be returning.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319

What do anyone think? Oh, and please do me a favor? Please don't bring up arguments about Ridley and King K. Rool, ok? I'm entitled to my opinion :)

I don't really care about Krystal or a DK newcomer, but I would be more than okay with this roster.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779

Well, you need to base your roster off of likeliness, not "opinion". Well "need" is a strong word, but it's only worth discussing if it's more realistic than biased.

Ridley has too much going for him at this point, so I'd replace Krystal. I agree on Dixie over K Rool, even though I'd rather have K Rool, Dixie has more going for her in my mind.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Well, you need to base your roster off of likeliness, not "opinion". Well "need" is a strong word, but it's only worth discussing if it's more realistic than biased.

Ridley has too much going for him at this point, so I'd replace Krystal. I agree on Dixie over K Rool, even though I'd rather have K Rool, Dixie has more going for her in my mind.
I agree, however I think there should be another level called like "Maybe". Bandana Dee should go into that slot, he isn't farfetched as many people believe to be.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
I agree, however I think there should be another level called like "Maybe". Bandana Dee should go into that slot, he isn't farfetched as many people believe to be.
I'd love Bandanna, just not sure on his likeliness. My "hopeful" mind says he'll be there, but the realist in me says not. Hopefully he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom