• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morbi

Scavenger
Because DK is infinitely more popular and sells infinitely better, is historically important to Nintendo, and contains one of the most wanted Newcomers in Smash history.

Wario has Mona, Jimmy T., and Captain Syrup, who, while all interesting in their own right, are not popular or requested.
Series representation is proportional to sales? I suppose we can expect another Wii Fit character to be included in the roster if that is the case. :troll:

Hm. Good point. I might've done that a bit to.
I'm personally expecting Ghirahim and Dark Pit, though I'm wanting Pig Ganon and Medusa.

New theory: Sakurai is teasing characters that people will expect, but in general do not legitimately want. A majority of supporters of Chrom likely supported him because they expected the protagonist of Awakening to be included. More hype characters will be used as a bait-and-switch.
:4robinm::4robinf: is the protagonist of Awakening, yet most people did not expect Robin.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
:4robinm::4robinf: is the protagonist of Awakening, yet most people did not expect Robin.
I thought Chrom was the protagonist, and Robin was some kind of viewpoint character for the audience to relate to. Kinda like Tiz to Agnes to Bravely Default, or Vaan to the actual protagonists in FF XII.

If Chrom WASN'T the protagonist, why would so many people expect him?

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I honestly don't even think most of the people that still defend the leak are fans of Shulk or the Chorus men. They are just VERY used to the idea of it, and I suppose not knowing is scary for some. It hasn't really been brought up at all in the Shulk thread since the Robin reveal.
Obviously that is a hasty generalization fallacy; for instance, I was certainly one of the most vocal detractors of the Gematsu leak, I am sure that most people recall as I made it extremely overt when I attacked it at every chance possible. However, I am an adamant defender of the leak as of current as I cannot stand the utter incompetence of those who's logic dictates that it is objectively proven to be false. Chrom was the only character that was refuted, this contests the leak, it does not confirm it to be false. It is not "scary" not knowing. The fact of the matter is that he quite blatantly has insider information and I have always asserted that portions of the leak were irrelevant because they were fabricated or misconstrued (outdated information by a preponderance of the evidence).

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I thought Chrom was the protagonist, and Robin was some kind of viewpoint character for the audience to relate to. Kinda like Tiz to Agnes to Bravely Default, or Vaan to the actual protagonists in FF XII.

Robin is actually super important to the plot. He probably gets about equal screen time to Chrom, it's hard for me to say one is more important to the other. Chrom feels more typically like he should be the protagonist, but the main conflict in the game ends up revolving around Robin in the end.

Morbi

Scavenger
Robin is actually super important to the plot. He probably gets about equal screen time to Chrom, it's hard for me to say one is more important to the other. Chrom feels more typically like he should be the protagonist, but the main conflict in the game ends up revolving around Robin in the end.
Chrom (main protagonist,exclusive class only shared by offspring) = prominent.
Robin (player's avatar, main protagonist and main antagonist, exclusive class only shared by offspring, cut-scenes through her perspective, playable appearance in Smash over Chrom :troll:) = more prominent.

:4robinm::4robinf:"Time to Tip the Scales!"

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Here is another article I found about Robin via Eventhubs:
Since we posted our translations of Robin's move list -- including details on which moves can only be used for a finite number of times -- in Super Smash Bros for Wii U and 3DS from this week's issue of Famitsu magazine, some of you readers have expressed your concern for the character potentially being too weak once Robin can't use Elwind (up+B) anymore.

The 4-page spread in Famitsu magazine on Smash did not mention if Robin's limited-use moves would regenerate over time, and many of us (including myself) presumed that they would not; not unless Robin fell off the stage and respawned anyway.

But as it turns out, Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS director Masahiro Sakurai did actually mention that Robin's limited-use moves would regnerate over time, in the same issue of Famitsu; it was mentioned in a column he wrote for the magazine, separate from the 4-page spread.

Sakurai wrote in his Famitsu column, as translated by NeoGAF user Masked Men:

"I also implemented the system used in FE:A, in which tomes break after overuse. Likewise, I included a similar system for the Levin Sword, which breaks after a certain number of uses. However, both the tomes and the Levin Sword will quickly regenerate after a set period of time."

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
A story can have multiple protagonists and shift the point of view between each of them as the story progresses.

In that sense, Chrom, Robin and Lucina are the protagonists of Fire Emblem: Awakening. The Gangrel arc was more focused on Chrom, while the Grima arc was more focused on Robin and Lucina.

If what the leak's source got was "Fire Emblem: Awakening protagonist", it could have been any of the three. Especially if the information was in Japanese as said language has no article words (like "a" or "the"). The leak likely stated Chrom out of an assumption that ended up being wrong.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

Arbitrary reasons.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I honestly think that Chrom was the least important out of all 3 of the protagonist. Come at me, haters. :smirk:
I haven't played Awakening yet (Bravely Default is too fun) But Chrom just seems like a boring swordsman.
And if Sakurai would reject Chrom in favor in Robin, there's no way that Dark Pit would be chosen over Medusa.

Oddliestotter

Smash Cadet
Did anyone even honestly support Choir Boys before the Gematsu leak? lol

HEY LOOK WH-
I've never played Rhythm Heaven so I'm confused as what their moves would be. Sakurai knows what's up so if they're in, I'm sure he'd do a great job with them!

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I've never played Rhythm Heaven so I'm confused as what their moves would be. Sakurai knows what's up so if they're in, I'm sure he'd do a great job with them!
True, True. If he can make Wii Fit Trainer look hella fun he'll probably make Choir Boys fun too... Still don't want them though.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I haven't played Awakening yet (Bravely Default is too fun) But Chrom just seems like a boring swordsman.
And if Sakurai would reject Chrom in favor in Robin, there's no way that Dark Pit would be chosen over Medusa.
Dark Pit can be a last minute clone though, while Medusa can't. I suppose Medusa could technically be a Palutena clone, but that wouldn't do her character any justice.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Regarding of last page's topic.

I think Sakurai wants a newcomer for every current gen "heavy hitter" franchise.
We got:
Animal Crossing
Wii Fit
Super Mario Bros
Pokemon
Fire Emblem
Mii (for last and current gen Nintendo, in general)

And we'll no doubtly have:
Donkey Kong (for Tropical Freeze)
Xenoblade (for the X, but representing the franchise as a whole)
Zelda (From the Toon line of Zelda games most likely)
Kirby (Bandana Dee, the villain from Return to Dreamland, or Prince Fluff are my bets).

I don't think Metroid stance a chance for a newcomer because it's prescence hasn't been noticeable this gen so far.
The Hunters are ruled out because they were on just 1 game like a decade ago.
Star Fox was also JUST announced on E3-2014, so unless it was another "Lucina" case, I wouldn't expect someone (let alone someone with an original moveset) to get in.

Rythm Heaven might be popular in Japan, but maybe Sakurai is aiming for iconic characters worldwide mostly.
However, sometimes Japanese popularity alone is enough to get a character in.

The way I see it, the roster is mostly appealing to people who can walk into a store and see all the newcomers appearing in their own game's boxarts (if this makes any sense).

Anyway, this is what I think we'll be seeing.

Last edited:

Oddliestotter

Smash Cadet
Dark Pit can be a last minute clone though, while Medusa can't. I suppose Medusa could technically be a Palutena clone, but that wouldn't do her character any justice.
Perhaps we see Dark Pit as an Assist Trophy, since Assist Trophies are a way of more effectively representing franchises without adding fighters!

Morbi

Scavenger
Did anyone even honestly support Choir Boys before the Gematsu leak? lol

HEY LOOK WH-
Of course, every character has a supporter, at the very least. I have seen some of his fans (one fan) prior to the leak actually, obviously "Choir Boys" were only relevant during "Rhythm Heaven" discussions which were even more rare that one might imagine prior to Gematsu. Nevertheless, I vaguely recall someone expressing an interest in his character. No one responded to him, obviously; however, he did indeed exist.

Oddliestotter

Smash Cadet

I think Sakurai wants a newcomer for every current gen "heavy hitter" franchise.
We got:
Animal Crossing
Wii Fit
Super Mario Bros
Pokemon
Fire Emblem

Kirby (Bandana Dee, the villain from Return to Dreamland, or Prince Fluff are my bets).

I don't think Metroid stance a chance for a newcomer because it's prescence hasn't been noticeable this gen so far.
Star Fox was also JUST announced on E3-2014, so unless it was another "Lucina" case, I wouldn't expect someone (let alone someone with an original moveset) to get in.

Rythm Heaven might be popular in Japan, but maybe Sakurai is aiming for iconic characters worldwide mostly.

The way I see it, the roster is mostly appealing to people who can walk into a store and see all the newcomers appearing in their own game's boxarts (if this makes any sense).

I think you hit it on the head with Star Fox! A new game is in production so Falco and Wolf might come back to create hype for the new game but we'll see. Fingers crossed for Krystal!

The more I keep hearing about Bandana Dee, the more I can see him as a character. Maybe that's just me though! :)

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

We got:
Animal Crossing
Wii Fit
Super Mario Bros
Pokemon
Fire Emblem

Like how you can walk into a store and see Robin on the box art of Awakening?

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988

We got:
Animal Crossing
Wii Fit
Super Mario Bros
Pokemon
Fire Emblem

As long as the Zelda newcomer isn't Ghirahim.

Morbi

Scavenger
Just had a thought, what if Dark Pit and Game and Watch are in similar situations?
Do you intend to assert that Game and Watch will make a cameo in Dark Pit's trailer? I believe that they are in similar situations, albeit the noticeable difference is the apparent allusion to Dark Pit as a character in the game whereas Game and Watch was just present.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Like how you can walk into a store and see Robin on the box art of Awakening?
You got me on this one.
But isn't Robin the main character of the game anyway? (As for the boxart part, Lucina got that bit covered, and they both share the reveal trailer so..)

On a related note, I always saw Robin's inclusion much more likely than Chrom, Gematsu or not.
There's only so many moves Sakurai can take from F.E. swordsmen, while telling us he's looking for innovative movesets with a straight face.

Xenorange

Smash Lord
As in they are both Nintendo characters? Then yes.
Well I mean they were both shown at the end of their respective trailers with no clarification from Sakurai as to what their roles are. Maybe they're hidden unlockables?

Last edited:

Xenorange

Smash Lord
Mr. Game and Watch? Yes.
Dark Pit? I guarantee you no.
You're probably right, I'm not trying to imply that I want him as a playable, but it's just that their situations are so similar. I honestly think DP's chances are high.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Mr. Game and Watch? Yes.
Nice conclusion you have there. :4lucina:

Well I mean they were both shown at the end of their respective trailers with no clarification from Sakurai as to what their roles are. Maybe they're hidden unlockables?
Probably, we'll probably find out about them post-release.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Mr. Game and Watch? Yes.
Agreed.
Double trailers are now a thing.
Charizard:Greninja
Lucina:Robin

If Dark Pit was playable, he would have at least gotten a banner for himself in Palutena's trailer.
I'm betting he's either a glorified color swap (together with voice swap and all) ((Most likely scenario, because why on Earth would Sakurai remove a color swap))
Or to a lesse extent, an AT.

Morbi

Scavenger
The only notable difference being that Pittoo's appearance was alluding to a possible cliff-hanger.

Mr. Game and Watch? Yes.
Do you have any evidence to support this assertion?

Morbi

Scavenger
Agreed.
Double trailers are now a thing.
Charizard:Greninja
Lucina:Robin

If Dark Pit was playable, he would have at least gotten a banner for himself in Palutena's trailer.
I'm betting he's either a glorified color swap (together with voice swap and all) ((Most likely scenario, because why on Earth would Sakurai remove a color swap))
Or to a lesse extent, an AT.
I am not entirely certain if that self-referential incoherence was intended; however, if that is indeed the case, Game & Watch would have at least gotten a banner for himself.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I will explain my reasonings on no Dark Pit a bit further.

Is Dark Pit a really requested character? A really popular one?
I understand if Ridley fans are still hopefuls about a Ridley reveal, and all the "mistery" behind him, becaus he's EXTREMELY popular (at least in the west).

But... is Dark Pit worth some "mistery" behind?
Chances are, if Lucina was revealed right off the bat, in a combo trailer with a truly unique character, then Dark Pit's chances of getting an official Newcomer banner was missed in the Palutena trailer.

Notice how Pit was taken out of the picture at the beginning. And how Dark Pit flies in at the end.
This, between the lines, reads me as Color Swap (with DP's voice).

I am not entirely certain if that self-referential incoherence was intended; however, if that is indeed the case, Game & Watch would have at least gotten a banner for himself.
Isn't he a veteran? Tacked on to a Newcomer's reveal trailer? Why would he want to attempt to steal some spotlight? Captain Falcon didn't get a banner either.

Charizard is sort of debatable, because his announcement as a character had several attatchments to it.
Like say... no more Pokemon Trainer/Squirtle/Ivysaur with him. (And he's still sharing the trailer with a fellow Pokemon character).

Last edited:

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
He's the guy on the box.

I am near convinced Dark Pit is playable. His recognition alone says to me that he might have been a planned alt. like Lucina. If anything was changed at all, bam, new character.

Oddliestotter

Smash Cadet
He's the guy on the box.

I am near convinced Dark Pit is playable. His recognition alone says to me that he might have been a planned alt. like Lucina. If anything was changed at all, bam, new character.
Sakurai did mention that if there's enough distinction between the two characters, then they'll be released as an individual. If not, then they'll be a costume change.

Xenorange

Smash Lord
I have a question, why didn't Falcon get a banner? I would assert his status as a hidden unlockable as well because of this, but he's been reveled on the website. Why does Charizard warrant a banner but Falcon does not? So confusing.

Oddliestotter

Smash Cadet
I have a question, why didn't Falcon get a banner? I would assert his status as a hidden unlockable as well because of this, but he's been reveled on the website. Why does Charizard warrant a banner but Falcon does not? So confusing.

That's a really good point!!!! I missed that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom