• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
I gave up on arguing with this stubborn idiotic hipster a looooong time ago. So I'm just sitting here laughing my head off at his "arguments"

swordbreaker

Smash Journeyman
Any business? There are no sacred cows here...if people want to praise, they're free to praise, and if people want to criticize, they're free to criticize. No reaction happens in a vacuum, therefore no reaction is unwarranted.

Also, I couldn't care less what he personally finds "fun." He's not a potential customer, therefore his personal feelings should be irrelevant when the fact that Nintendo is a business is considered.
What is your opinion on the fact that there was no "character fan poll" this time around? I find it very odd that the only real fan requested characters (if you look at the history of what the fandom as a whole wanted) were Mega Man, Little Mac and Villager. Everyone else was a "rising star" so to speak.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
What is your opinion on the fact that there was no "character fan poll" this time around? I find it very odd that the only real fan requested characters (if you look at the history of what the fandom as a whole wanted) were Mega Man, Little Mac and Villager. Everyone else was a "rising star" so to speak.
I noticed this a long time ago, and am planning on pointing it out post-release, depending on what ultimately happens with the roster. It's indicative of a few things: one, that popularity, when it is being considered, is being taken from outdated polls, and two, that listening to fans has been less of a priority.

I mean, hell, for Brawl, they set up an entire Japanese website dedicated to taking requests for all sorts of game content (characters, stages, items, music, modes). Say what they will about its gameplay, but most people walked away from Brawl universally praising its content. I worry that this game will go more of the Melee route of putting in less satisfactory content overall, and with the gameplay allegedly being what it is, that certainly doesn't bode well for its long term prospects IMO.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
You mean, like everyone?

You don't think the majority of people betting on Shulk don't want someone like, Ridley or King K Rool, or something?
(I don't know what you kids are into, these days.)
Speak for yourself. I actually want Shulk shown and I want to see how he plays.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
'WAIT, you devilishly shiny rogue!' you might say.
why
why would you even

I carry on the argument because folk are utterly convinced that anything outside of Gematsu is possible when there's no evidence to that effect. Period.
First of all, there is no evidence suggesting otherwise either. Well, other than your own convoluted theory.
Secondly,
Greninja's trailer purposefully made people think he was a certain clone.
Ridley is still being heavily hyped, with no mention at all by name.
K. Rool's lackeys are all over the place with no King to be seen.
We still lack a defining "Retro character" (although, the heavy emphasis on the Arcade Punch-Out!! leads me to believe Little Mac probably is our "Retro character").

There's reason to believe more new characters weren't mentioned in the Gematsu Leak. So your claim that "there's no evidence to that effect" is completely false.

Last edited:

MYU2

Smash Apprentice
If it is Shulk (which I doubt), I wonder why he out of all newcomers need a 3 minute video?

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Greninja's trailer purposefully made people think he was a certain clone.
I really keep seeing this but I just don't get it

The silhouette might have missed some distinctive features for Greninja (understandably, as explained below), but I didn't see any ball fingers or tail either.
Didn't the fact that he was upside down raise a few alarms?
How about the ninja hand sign that was immediately done?
Or the water shuriken, which looks nothing like shadow ball, and is the signature move for Greninja?

It really goes without saying why there was a silhouette to begin with; because he's a ninja. Was the intention to leave people who know nothing about Greninja wondering who it could be? Or simply to go with the ninja theme that makes complete sense? I don't know, but I really doubt Mewtwo has anything to do with it.

I certainly knew who it was immediately, but I was slow in realizing he was gonna be a playable character. Was really surprised at all the Mewtwo mentions once I came here after the trailer. Hell I ended up asking some friends if the silhouette looked anything like Mewtwo and they all told me "nope".

Last edited:

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
If it is Shulk (which I doubt), I wonder why he out of all newcomers need a 3 minute video?
Maybe to be like an epic Xenoblade cutscene?

I mean we got all kinds of animation styles and such, heck they even got the same animation studio who did the Kid Icarus shorts to do the Palutena animation.

swordbreaker

Smash Journeyman
I noticed this a long time ago, and am planning on pointing it out post-release, depending on what ultimately happens with the roster. It's indicative of a few things: one, that popularity, when it is being considered, is being taken from outdated polls, and two, that listening to fans has been less of a priority.

I mean, hell, for Brawl, they set up an entire Japanese website dedicated to taking requests for all sorts of game content (characters, stages, items, music, modes). Say what they will about its gameplay, but most people walked away from Brawl universally praising its content. I worry that this game will go more of the Melee route of putting in less satisfactory content overall, and with the gameplay allegedly being what it is, that certainly doesn't bode well for its long term prospects IMO.
Assuming the context was taken correctly for Sakruai's tweet. If he is truly that clueless (He asked why people in Japan were sending negative comments), I wonder if he actually believes he is doing people a favor by adding these characters. It just doesn't make any sense, he should know full well why they are mad. Is he playing the fool? If I was making the game it would bring more joy to me adding characters like K. Rool and Ridley than Chorus Men, I'm almost certain that anyone who appreciates the later would have pretty much taken anything anyway and would be more yes-men. With the former more people will be happy, if you leave the later out, the people would just be like "Oh well, they didn't have a chance anyway." and move on.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
That's a low blow to people who want Chorus Kids

We're just some peasants who'd accept anything, aren't we? jesus.

Last edited:

MYU2

Smash Apprentice
Maybe to be like an epic Xenoblade cutscene?

I mean we got all kinds of animation styles and such, heck they even got the same animation studio who did the Kid Icarus shorts to do the Palutena animation.
I forgot about Palutena, she had a 3 minute video too

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
That's the thing, the context is very vague. We don't know exactly what was sent to him (aside from it allegedly being vulgar) and we don't know what he responded to in particular. I could see why he'd be confused if the tweets were about Palutena, since, even though she's basically his OC inclusion, she allegedly had quite a following overseas, even moreso than she did here. If he sent out something similar after release, though, it'd probably be because of the final roster.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It'd be very easy to make a three-minute trailer for any newcomer if it's filled with a bait-and-switch beginning like Rosalina's, or focuses on more than just the newcomer like Greninja's or Villager's.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Chrom would be a hypekiller, though I imagine he'd still have a neat trailer.

The other two would be hype though, in part because you just know Chorus Mens' trailer is going to be ridiculous when it touches down.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Expect Shulk or Chrom.

Dream for Ridley!

MYU2

Smash Apprentice
Chrom would be a hypekiller, though I imagine he'd still have a neat trailer.

The other two would be hype though, in part because you just know Chorus Mens' trailer is going to be ridiculous when it touches down.
I can only imagine rage in people faces when they see the chorus men.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
I'm more curious as to how they'd actually play. I want to see how Chrom would fair in comparison to Marth and Ike, and of course I really want to see how they would pull off the Chorus Men.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
A little bit off topic, but where did Sakurai mention that they were approaching the end of the character trailers or that stuff?

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
You'd think Sakurai would've learned from his mistakes and saved the best for last this time.

If Chrom and Chorus Men are among the last few newcomers, they're going to be the target of all the hate and dissatisfaction.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Can everyone stop hating on the Chorus Kids?
They have a lot of fans, people who would actually enjoy playing as unique and fun characters like them.

Go check out the Chorus Kid thread if you need proof of that @ S swordbreaker .

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
They'd have far fewer fans if people didn't think they were happening.

A little bit off topic, but where did Sakurai mention that they were approaching the end of the character trailers or that stuff?

Weeman

Smash Crusader
They have a lot of fans, people who would actually enjoy playing as unique and fun characters like them.

I don't think anybody hates them, in fact most people probably expected Rythm Heaven representation in some form. People just get bitter because they're not the newcomers they wanted, let the rage pass and everyone will try them out.

Last edited:

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord

I like how you're just making assumptions regarding their playstyle.
They'd have far fewer fans if people didn't think they were happening.
Exactly. Most of the "fans" are just people who think they're inevitable, so they support them so as to not be disappointed in the final roster.

Last edited:

MYU2

Smash Apprentice

Nobody is hating on them, infact I support & would love for them to be in the game. But let's be honest if they are revealed people are going to be butthurt & complain about them, eventually they'll lighten up to the kids no doubt.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand

Nope, we're just people who'd accept anything, so we clearly don't deserve something.

Only people who are demanding do.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I've never even played a rhythm heaven game and I really want to see them. As for hype/surprise, Shulk and Chorus Men would get hype, but most anyone else other than Chrom would be both a surprise and get hype. Monday can't get here soon enough.

TheUnsullied

Smash Apprentice
Can anyone tell me which characters were revealed before Brawl was released in Japan and which characters were discovered after the release?

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
His tweet or whatever said "We're really scraping the bottom of the barrel on these newcomer videos"

Which might just mean the ones he's gonna announce are almost over

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Can anyone tell me which characters were revealed before Brawl was released in Japan and which characters were discovered after the release?
Ness, Jigglypuff and Lucario were accidentally leaked by Nintendo. All other secret characters were hidden before the release.

Xenorange

Smash Lord
I don't think shulk's getting revealed on Monday, why spoil it? I don't think the tweet guarantees it.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
All characters technically leaked prior to release, though ROB, TL, Wolf, G&W, Falco, and Ganondorf only leaked a day or two prior when street dates were broken.

TheUnsullied

Smash Apprentice
Ness, Jigglypuff and Lucario were accidentally leaked by Nintendo. All other secret characters were hidden before the release.
So let me just get this straight.. All the unlockable characters were not officially revealed until after the game released?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom