• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
A gecko that wasn't even a thought until a remake for it's game was mentioned 2 years after the roster was finalized?
The Sceptile fanbase started growing legs after Charizard and Greninja were shown off. Before the announcement of the remake.

People surmised that if Squirtle and Ivysaur were cut and Greninja added; a fully evolved grass starter would complete the pattern.

Sceptile seemed like a popular and likely choice after people ticked off all the grass starters. I wanted Serperior myself.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
The Sceptile fanbase started growing legs after Charizard and Greninja were shown off. Before the announcement of the remake.

People surmised that if Squirtle and Ivysaur were cut and Greninja added; a fully evolved grass starter would complete the pattern.

Sceptile seemed like a popular and likely choice after people ticked off all the grass starters. I wanted Serperior myself.
Sceptile would be cool. But its unlikely at this point, if I could have any pokemon it would be Blaziken, and then I'd have my 2 favorite mons playable in smash (Lucario is my 2nd fav)

I'm just waiting for Meganium and Yanmega to get mega forms though. For the redundant hilarious names

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
That example is always displayed beautifully during every Super Bowl.

Anyways, I'm curious to see who thinks the leak finalizes the roster, or leaves out some characters.
I think it's possible that the Gematsu leak listed all the newcomers, but I also think it's very possible that the information we've received is incomplete. For someone who has information about the roster, the leaker hasn't really leaked that much information. For example, we've yet to hear anything about veterans aside from the Ness and Lucas debate. This lack of information leads me to believe that the leaker is either withholding information, which we already know he does since outdated information was leaked at separate times, or has incomplete information. In either case, the possibility of further characters beyond those exists. That's also not mentioning the fact that the information leaked is from a point when the roster was mostly, but not completely, finalized, meaning further characters could have been added in later.

I don't think we can get a definitive answer to whether or not there are more newcomers that Gematsu didn't leak, but it could certainly go either way. Though with possible hints towards characters like Mewtwo, Ridley, and K. Rool, I'm hoping for the best in this case.

queenrosetta

Smash Apprentice
I want Dixie. That's who I want. I'm playing tropical freeze and she's so adorable
I wouldn't even care if she's a semi clone of diddy

epicgordan

Smash Ace
Okay, here are the most likely character reveals for this week: Ice Climbers, Wario, Falco, Mr. Game & Watch, and maybe Jigglypuff.
Near the tail end of the month, we can also include Ness in that roster due to the Earthbound Anniversary (even though Lucario was the only character to date whose reveal coincided with an anniversary).
So why these five characters specifically? Well, Ice Climbers due to a leaked in-game image that shows them performing their side taunt in battle against Little Mac, Rosalina, and Greninja on the Mushroom Kingdom U stage; the fact that such a battle was recorded off the Wii U gamepad (which may deconfirm the leak if gamepad-exclusive gameplay isn't possible); and the fact that there was no viable live feed of such a battle between these three on that very stage that could be adequately photoshopped. Even disregarding the leak, it always felt appropriate and likely for them to be the next character revealed.

Mr. Game & Watch, I feel could very likely be our next reveal since he was teased at E3's Pac-Man trailer. But, if his teased appearance is to build up to something else (like my theory regarding Jigglypuff or R.O.B. being teased in order to build up to the unveiling of the Chorus Kids), we may not even get official confirmation until after launch.

Falco mostly draws from the now debunked Petilil leak, but there are several reasons why he is very likely to be revealed next. For starters, we have yet to get any Star Fox-related stages, and Fox is the only initial 10 veterans not to have another character from his own franchise revealed yet. The fact that Luigi, Toon Link, Marth, Sonic, and Lucario were all revealed before launch even though they were all historically unlockable characters, with all but Lucario having so far, been suggested to be starters in some capacity or another also helps his case, arguably moreso than any other unlockable characters. With the exception of Pac-Man, I believe all the characters revealed so far will be a starter in at least one of the two versions of the game (a few may even be version-exclusive starters, mind you, where you have to unlock them in the other version), and I believe this trend will continue on until Japanese launch. On top of that, this is the second straight day where Sakurai's pic of the day turned out to be connected to long-range smash attacks, which may in fact, build up to a character and/or stage reveal to round up the week. So, if we don't get Ice Climbers, Falco is my next most likely pick.

Wario: So far, Captain Falcon, Ness, Lucas, and Meta Knight are the only other characters left who have had experiences as starter characters who are likely to return. Ness and Lucas will be tied more to Earthbound's anniversary more than anything (with Lucas likely to be cut), while Captain Falcon and Meta Knight comes across as characters that will wind up being unlockable content this time around. This essentially leaves Wario as the most likely returning veteran not named Falco or Ice Climbers to join the roster this week. If the week passes, this might change down the line, but for the time being, I do believe that we will be getting Wario fairly soon.

Jigglypuff: I might be splitting hairs, but she is essentially the only character left of the original 12 who has never started in a Smash Brothers game; Luigi is highly likely to be doing so on the 3DS, and Ness and Captain Falcon have all done so in Melee. I know I mentioned the leaked reveal last week or something, but the fact that Kirbopher was interviewed by GameXplain, and no mention of Jigglypuff being leaked was made leads me to believe that the person who dropped the bombshell really just made a big mistake. Still, I find her far more likely than any of the other veterans on standbye except maybe Meta Knight--who I predict to be an August reveal at best.

Speaking of which, for August, I'd cut Jigglypuff and Mr. Game & Watch from my considerations, and add Meta Knight (his would be a very special reveal) and Ganondorf (Hyrule Warriors release) alongside Ice Climbers, Falco, and Wario. Chances are very great that we'll get one, if not two of these three this month. As for newcomer reveals, there are five possibilities, and it all depends on what kind of Direct it will be, and what Sakurai has planned for August as a result. Here they are:

Mewtwo: While not a newcomer per se, the fact that he was absent in Brawl will more than likely suggest that he'll get a newcomer trailer. This is assuming that Jigglypuff gets confirmed beforehand, or is otherwise to be teased again (similar to Mr. Game & Watch to Pac-Man), and will likely only happen if the August Direct turns up to be a Pokémon Direct.

Shulk: They may choose to reveal him only if we begin to see a steady amount of hints building up to his reveal. So far, the only piece of evidence that is in any way, shape or form, concrete, is the fact that his voice actor came out and stated that he just got done voicing characters for games coming out this year, and will tell us about them once he knows he won't get in serious trouble for doing so. It was rumored that some people found some Mechon M60 trophies; I actually want to see those trophies. Very unlikely regardless, because he just screams secret character to me.

Chrom: What this guy has going for him is the version-exclusive STARTER theory. If either Shulk or Chrom gets revealed, it'll probably tease R.O.B.; Shulk's trailer would probably have him fighting R.O.B. in much the same way he fought the Mechon, while Chrom could join Marth and Ike in a trailer paying homage to Brawl's SSE.

Chorus Kids: Really, R.O.B. and Jigglypuff have to both be teased--if not flat-out revealed--before Chorus Kids can make any sense. They'd work best as character reveals after launch.

Ridley: At first, I thought his chances were going to be likely due to the release of Smash 4 this September, but let's be honest; if he is to be playable, he'd be revealed either in October, or around the time the Wii U version comes out. Pyrosphere is a Wii U-exclusive stage, anyways.

So, the characters I feel are most likely to be confirmed next: Ice Climbers, Falco, and Wario. Ness might come afterwards, but the remaining two will have a more likely shot at getting in. And then in August, I'd add Meta Knight over Ganondorf due to how special a moment it would be, and it would help build a lot more hype without taking away from the other characters. In the Direct, it all depends on what is being planned, but for now, Chrom is the most likely option.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Near the tail end of the month, we can also include Ness in that roster due to the Earthbound Anniversary (even though Lucario was the only character to date whose reveal coincided with an anniversary).
Someone forgot Peach being on the anniversary of Mario 1

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Little Mac was on an anniversary as well, but that was most likely a coincidence.

When is the Hyrule Warriors release date? It's the only game left until September that could get a reveal for it, Ganondorf being that character.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
We talking possible reveal dates for newcomers and/or veterans?

Well, Metroid does have an August anniversary, and there's an August Direct. Yeah, anniversaries have been known to mean jack at this point, but I would at the very least expect some kind of closure on Pyrosphere on that date.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Well, I doubt Rhythm Heaven would have precedence closure-wise over Metroid. Them Sneaky Spirits weren't exactly as promoted and publicized nearly as much as Pyrosphere.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Well, I doubt Rhythm Heaven would have precedence closure-wise over Metroid. Them Sneaky Spirits weren't exactly as promoted and publicized nearly as much as Pyrosphere.
Pyrosphere wasn't in the demo, and the Sneaky Spirits were :4pacman:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I doubt a MOTHER newcomer. Unless there's a mega-super-awesome-HD-release of all 3 games to be announced.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I just want to be done with it and see Wario soon.

It actually is the one possible Smash related news that I really want to see at this point.

D

Deleted member

I just want Wario and the Ice Climbers to be revealed just so I can say; "Yup, we have all the essential starter characters."

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
The only mother character I wouldn't object to is Giygas.
Well, I WOULD object to him, but it'd be offset by how cool he is.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
The only mother character I wouldn't object to is Giygas.
Well, I WOULD object to him, but it'd be offset by how cool he is.
I'd probably object to any character from the original MOTHER who isn't Teddy. Ninten, Ana, Lloyd, and Giegue are just slightly modified versions of the more iconic Ness, Paula, Jeff, and Mewtwo. They're better off as alternate costumes.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Kinda weird really. Before SSB4 was even developed, I bought Rhythm Heaven DS (known as Rhythm Paradise in EU) and got quite hooked into the series. I guess around 2010? I imported Puyo Puyo 7 around that time too.

I'm quite happily surprised to see RH looking more and more being in Smash 4 as a repped series (probably), but I dunno what to still think on Chorus Kids. But as long as we get the rhythmic quirkiness injected to Smash through them, I wouldn't be more happier.

And hey, no need to rub on people about the character supports. I do still remember the times when I'd check out the origins of the playable characters. Never felt so fun discovering their backgrounds and history, along with where their skills came from in Smash.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I'd probably object to any character from the original MOTHER who isn't Teddy. Ninten, Ana, Lloyd, and Giegue are just slightly modified versions of the more iconic Ness, Paula, Jeff, and Mewtwo. They're better off as alternate costumes.
I think you mean Mewtwo is a slightly modified Giegue.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
It's annoying when people make assumptions and think they can dictate what people can and can't support. Just putting it out there.

You can support the Chorus Kids all you want. There's nothing saying you can't, despite what some would want you to think. There's not a time limit that defines what you can and can't support. So they were leaked, who gives a damn? I certainly don't. Admittedly I didn't know who they were at first, but after seeing them in action, I regretted not knowing them and immediately supported them. So yes, you can support them without knowing who they were before the leak. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise, because they're wrong. Plain and simple.

People are bound to disagree, but that's their problem. I know what I support.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Rhythm Heaven is yet another Nintendo franchise of which I regrettably have not played a single game from yet, though as I learned more about the series I started to like the idea of it getting a character in Smash. I was kind of against the Chorus Kids for a while, but they've grown on me overtime, so I'd be glad to see them depending on how they're handled.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
When it comes to people supporting whoever they want, 'live and let live' is my mentality. No harm, no foul. . .so long as people aren't spamming the forum with Mariners Moose discussion threads.

I lose respect for people when, one, they become Gimmick Users who go out of their way to insert their character into each and every conversation they see (people call this 'passionate,' but it's really just trolling), or two, they flip-flop on their opinions based on what Sakurai does (either they instantly love an included character they previously hated or they instantly hate a disconfirmed character).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom