• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
When it comes to people supporting whoever they want, 'live and let live' is my mentality. No harm, no foul. . .so long as people aren't spamming the forum with Mariners Moose discussion threads.

I lose respect for people when, one, they become Gimmick Users who go out of their way to insert their character into each and every conversation they see (people call this 'passionate,' but it's really just trolling), or two, they flip-flop on their opinions based on what Sakurai does (either they instantly love an included character they previously hated or they instantly hate a disconfirmed character).
The last part reminds me of that "Undecided Voters" joke from Family Guy.

But yeah, essentially this. The only exception I see to the last part is if they hated a character due to a preconceived playstyle in their minds that they hated, but ended up liking the route taken. Off-hand, I know some people were like this for Rosalina and Pac-Man.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I lose respect for people when, one, they become Gimmick Users who go out of their way to insert their character into each and every conversation they see (people call this 'passionate,' but it's really just trolling), or two, they flip-flop on their opinions based on what Sakurai does (either they instantly love an included character they previously hated or they instantly hate a disconfirmed character).
For the latter, would hating an excluded ("disconfirmed" isn't a word) character because of the fanbase consisting of obnoxious twits count?

D

Deleted member

You joke about that, yet it's unfortunately quite possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

For the latter, would hating an excluded ("disconfirmed" isn't a word) character because of the fanbase consisting of obnoxious twits count?
Shadow?

or two, they flip-flop on their opinions based on what Sakurai does (either they instantly love an included character).
I'm probably understanding this wrong, but what your saying almost sounds like you hate users who change their opinions. Can you possibly simplify what you mean here? Do you mean for example, if I hated a character before they was included, but loved them and obsessed over them after they was included simply because they were in the game? Or do you perhaps mean, if I hated a character because I didn't see potential for the character, but liked them after their reveal because they were executed in a way you never thought? I'm assuming the former.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I have a feeling those who joke about Toon Zelda (or treat her as an impossibility) would wind up the most salty if she does actually end up making it in as a playable character....

Anyway, about the whole character support discussion I don't really see anything wrong with people supporting the Chorus Kids now, even if it was after the leak came along, especially if they genuinely like the idea of those characters and want them in the game. I don't really think it's that much different to say, the Inkling, they came along people's radar later and they grew very interested in those characters and would like to see them in Smash too.

Not sure if that's a good analogy but oh well... Just my two cents I guess....

Last edited:

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
If Toon Zelda gets in Smash Bros, she earned it. And those who ***** and moan about it won't understand that. Plus, she's already been planned to be in Brawl, so maybe he also doesn't want her file to rot away. I don't know, I won't be mad, becasue this is hopefully Sakurai's last Smash Bros.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
I have the feeling those who joke about Toon Zelda would wind up the most salty if she does actually end up making it in as a playable character....

Anyway, about the whole character support discussion I don't really see anything wrong with people supporting the Chorus Kids now, even if it was after the Leak came along, especially if they genuinely like the idea of those characters and want them in the game. I don't really think it's that much different to say, the Inkling, they came along people's radar later and they grew very interested in those characters and would like to see them in Smash too.

Just my two cents I guess....
Pretty much this, i mean it's not that the Chorus Kids were even talked about at all before the leak, maybe other Rythm Heaven characters since i saw people supporting guys like Karate Joe or Wrestler, so in this case no one flip flopped, they just liked an idea that nobody thought before.
I myself changed my view on the Mii's, wich i despised the idea of. But after actually seeing them in action they turned out to be much better than i expected, so i'm okay with their inclusion now.

epicgordan

Smash Ace
Concerning Wario, are you referring to that new leak claiming to be tied to the gematsu leak as well as the guy who leaked the entire Brawl roster? The leak can be found at Smash Dojo under Rumors, and is titled Gematsu Plus.

And the guy claimed the following: Ridley, Dixie Kong, Shulk, Chrom, Chorus Trio, Isaac, and Mewtwo were all going to be playable characters, and that Wario would be confirmed by the end of next week at the latest (giving us a time table to July 18). Given that Wario is practically a given for next reveal (it's either him, Ice Climbers, or Falco; Meta Knight feels more like an August reveal at the earliest, and that's assuming he'll be a starter in one of the games first), and we are about at that point in time that we got another veteran reveal. And while I can see Ridley and Mewtwo being the two other exceptions to the gematsu leak alongside Rosalina (heck, there's more evidence of them being playable than Shulk), I personally consider Dixie Kong and Isaac's chances to be rather poor at best; the former feels like a distant possibility due to Tropical Freeze having came and went, and Isaac because he's second party, and is neither Kirby nor Pokémon.

But don't worry; if either one of these characters gets deconfirmed, or if we get a different newcomer, or the gematsu leak itself never gives us an update on the aforementioned new additions, or if they don't even call them the Chorus Trio, then it doesn't matter if Wario does get confirmed or not. Heck, I'm sure some of you guys can deconfirm this leak instantly since he stated that the guy who tipped off Sal Romano and this leak is the same guy that leaked the entire Brawl roster here on the smashboards. I don't know about you guys, but did the guy who leaked the Brawl roster over here ever said anything of this sort? I doubt it.

Also, apparently, the tipster works at animation and sound. But who knows? Can anybody deconfirm, or disconfirm, this leak outright? Does anybody really want there to only be Ridley, Dixie Kong, Isaac, Mewtwo, and the Gematsu trio left in the newcomer department? Just want quick confirmation, please.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
If Toon Zelda gets in Smash Bros, she earned it. And those who ***** and moan about it won't understand that. Plus, she's already been planned to be in Brawl, so maybe he also doesn't want her file to rot away. I don't know, I won't be mad, becasue this is hopefully Sakurai's last Smash Bros.
Well i'm personally against her inclusion simply because i wouldn't like to see 3 Zeldas and i think other Zelda characters would be better, but yes nobody will argue that she doesn't deserve it.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Also got to keep in mind that there were folks that wanted a character from Rhythm Heaven, though the ultimate question that was constantly pressed on was who, due to Rhythm Heaven lacking a mascot or main character. Hence why people scrambled with characters like Karate Joe and Wrestler.

Which is where the Chorus Kids come in, basically helping people solve the question that has been going for years.

(Personally I would of chosen MC Adore as my "answer", but I'm not complaining)

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Wario is probably the safest guess, and we're likely getting a reveal soon.

I don't think it means anything honestly, but we'll see. I'll be happy enough to see Wario.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
D

Deleted member

Someone is pretty neutral :p
No, I'll be laughing for different reasons.

If he's revealed, it will be joyous laughter that one of my favorite characters from Brawl is finally back.

If he isn't revealed, it will be mean spirited laughter toward anyone who thought the "leak" was real. I'll laugh harder when no one is revealed at EVO.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I'm probably understanding this wrong, but what your saying almost sounds like you hate users who change their opinions. Can you possibly simplify what you mean here? Do you mean for example, if I hated a character before they was included, but loved them and obsessed over them after they was included simply because they were in the game? Or do you perhaps mean, if I hated a character because I didn't see potential for the character, but liked them after their reveal because they were executed in a way you never thought? I'm assuming the former.
It's the former that's grating to me, because it comes across as that user trying to follow the popular opinion rather than standing up for their own principles. Having an actual independent change of opinion based on new info is perfectly fine.

No. Fanbases can definitely cross the line from sympathetic to cringeworthy through stuff like straw-grasping and insane outbursts following disconfirmations (which is a word; 'deconfirmed' is the fan-made one).

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566

If he's revealed, it will be joyous laughter that one of my favorite characters from Brawl is finally back.

If he isn't revealed, it will be mean spirited laughter toward anyone who thought the "leak" was real. I'll laugh harder when no one is revealed at EVO.
I'll just be sipping my coffee.. Wait a moment I don't drink coffee..

Soda thats it

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Someone is pretty neutral :p
I'm actually neutral on all character except Ridley (which I kinda want), maybe King K Rool (still have to decide if I want him or won't care either way) and of course Paper Mario.

Even the sal leak. I'm neutral on all of them (I just can't decide anything about chorus men since I don't know how it will be implemented if he is).

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
I'm actually neutral on all character except Ridley (which I kinda want), maybe King K Rool (still have to decide if I want him or won't care either way) and of course Paper Mario.

Even the sal leak. I'm neutral on all of them (I just can't decide anything about chorus men since I don't know how it will be implemented if he is).
I've dug a few of the newcomers and quite a few won me over.

Shulk and Chrom will be the icing on my cake. Despite Chrom not being one of my fav FE lords. Should the leak be accurate

Morbi

Scavenger

I am not really expecting any Smash characters for EVO. Killer Instinct or Mortal Kombat X characters? Sure. Those are prominent fighting games that understand the competitive scene. So I would not be surprised. I would; however, be surprised if Nintendo gave us something for Smash given the notion that they revealed Pac-Man after the invitational, without the crowd. I do believe that a Falco reveal would be perfect for EVO though. Especially if Dr. PP takes it! :awesome:

D

Deleted member

It's the former that's grating to me, because it comes across as that user trying to follow the popular opinion rather than standing up for their own principles. Having an actual independent change of opinion based on new info is perfectly fine.
Oh, OK. I will admit that that is annoying. Not just in Smash terms, I really hate it when someone decides to like something simply because it's "cool." F***ing Jason DeRulo needs to get the f*** out of my house. Why the hell does my sister even like this crap?

I am not really expecting any Smash characters for EVO. Killer Instinct or Mortal Kombat X characters? Sure. Those are prominent fighting games that understand the competitive scene. So I would not be surprised. I would; however, be surprised if Nintendo gave us something for Smash given the notion that they revealed Pac-Man after the invitational, without the crowd. I do believe that a Falco reveal would be perfect for EVO though. Especially if Dr. PP takes it! :awesome:
Yeah, I don't think anyone will be revealed either. I'll be pleasantly surprised if something does happen, but I highly doubt it. As for Mortal Kombat X, Ermac reveal when

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
People, we aren't getting anything from EVO.

This is like the 347th time you people are falling into the same fallacy expectation, so why would it suddenly be different this time?

Morbi

Scavenger

This is like the 347th time you people are falling into the same fallacy expectation, so why would it suddenly be different this time?
Which "fallacy expectation" might this one be? Does it have a name? Or perhaps you mean to say "fallacious"?

D

Deleted member

"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again."

kylexv

Smash Master

I said earlier that we MAY get a character at EVO. It could be the POTD on Friday. It might not even be for EVO.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
The announcement after the Melee tournament means nothing.

Unless you actually believe UMvC3 is getting an announcement. Nope, wait 8 more years.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Unless you actually believe UMvC3 is getting an announcement.
It is. Disney somehow got around Japanese law and bought Capcom. A patch for the game is in the works with new characters, like Scrooge McDuck. Mega Man still won't be playable.
:4pacman:

Mr_Anderson

Smash Cadet
If Wario is revealed Friday, I'd be OK with those characters being the final newcomers. I'd love it to be K. Rool instead of Dixie, but you can't win 'em all, I guess. It does, however, seem like one of those "too good to be true" leaks. There's too much info there that the fans want to hear, especially with Mewtwo and Ridley. My gut is telling me that it's fake. At least we have a very limited timeline to see if it's false, like the Falco leak.

Also, I'd still rather have Karate Joe over Chorus Kids for a RH rep, but whatever. Seeing as I didn't think I'd like Miis or Pacman in Smash at all, but Sakurai made them work, I bet he can do the same for the Chorus Kids.

D

Deleted member

If Wario is revealed Friday, I'd be OK with those characters being the final newcomers. I'd love it to be K. Rool instead of Dixie, but you can't win 'em all, I guess. It does, however, seem like one of those "too good to be true" leaks. There's too much info there that the fans want to hear, especially with Mewtwo and Ridley. My gut is telling me that it's fake. At least we have a very limited timeline to see if it's false, like the Falco leak.

Also, I'd still rather have Karate Joe over Chorus Kids for a RH rep, but whatever. Seeing as I didn't think I'd like Miis or Pacman in Smash at all, but Sakurai made them work, I bet he can do the same for the Chorus Kids.
If it truly was too good to be true, it would say no cuts, all Melee vets return along with the new characters.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566

Because in this fandom people tend to get their hopes up at the fall of a hat. Only natural for something like this though

D

Deleted member

Because in this fandom people tend to get their hopes up at the fall of a hat. Only natural for something like this though
"OH MY GOD, NINTENDO REFERENCED A CHARACTER!!!!1!! COULD THIS CHARACTER MAYBE BE PLAYABLE?????/???"

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Now watch us get Meta Knight on that Friday instead and watch the fraud try to cover his ass.

"Oh, did I say Wario? Actually I meant to say Meta Knight, my Japanese is really bad, y-yeah."

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Now watch us get Meta Knight on that Friday instead and watch the fraud try to cover his ***.

"Oh, did I say Wario? Actually I meant to say Meta Knight, my Japanese is really bad, y-yeah."
Or it could be.. Meta-Wario.. the birth of legend

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
I feel as if I'm one of seven or eight people who would actually be happy to see Toon Zelda playable in Smash Bros. I would be more happy to see Tetra, but I feel Toon Zelda's chances are slightly higher. Either way I think it would be nice to see another Toon character to help round out the roster of playable Zelda characters a little more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom