• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'm not sure technical limitations explains those two cuts due to :4zss: returning.
Well no they could've returned as individuals, I'm just saying if it weren't for technical limitations we probably still would've had them actually return as Pokemon Trainer.

Literally all melee clones had more differences than Lucina
Not a lot more. The point was that they are all super easy to do yet many didn't return. Ease might be the reason we get a new clone or two, but it's not a reason for why a character would return.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
The fact how this is true makes me want to flip some tables. I still demand an explanation on Dark Samus
Truth be told, I sort of like the idea of having Dark Samus to represent the Metroid Prime trilogy, like how Rosalina and Bowser Jr. represent Mario Galaxy 1/2 and the NSMB games respectively, but unlike those characters, who still make constant appearances in their series, Dark Samus hasn't been in any game since the conclusion of the Prime trilogy back in 2007, and seemingly has no future ahead of her.

And to be honest, I could see why Sakurai picked ZSS over Dark Samus when wanting to include another Metroid character back in Brawl. The thing is, over in Japan, the Metroid games developed by Nintendo R&D1 and Yoshio Sakamoto are considered the mainline series (and that'd include Zero Mission where ZSS originated from), while the Prime games are seen as weird western spinoffs.

I'd say that's a factor to why Other M got the spotlight in terms of Metroid representation in Smash, because, well, it was basically considered the first mainline home console Metroid game in years. Smash has always had some history being more based on the east than the west, like the inclusion of Japan only characters like Marth, Roy and Lucas and the exclusion of most American only content like Mike Jones.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Truth be told, I sort of like the idea of having Dark Samus to represent the Metroid Prime trilogy, like how Rosalina and Bowser Jr. represent Mario Galaxy 1/2 and the NSMB games, respectively, but unlike those characters, who still make constant game appearances, Dark Samus hasn't been in any game since the conclusion of the Prime trilogy back in 2007, and seemingly has no future ahead of her.

And to be honest, I could see why Sakurai picked ZSS over Dark Samus when wanting to include another Metroid character back in Brawl. The thing is, over in Japan, the Metroid games developed by Nintendo R&D1 and Yoshio Sakamoto are considered the mainline series (and that'd include Zero Mission where ZSS originated from), while the Prime games are seen as weird western spinoffs.

I'd say that's a factor to why Other M got the spotlight in terms of Metroid representation in Smash, because, well, it was basically considered the first mainline home console Metroid game in years. Smash has always had some history being more based on the east than the west, like the inclusion of Japan only characters like Marth, Roy and Lucas and the exclusion of most American only content like Mike Jones.
Honestly, as racist as it may potentially sound, Smash needs to stop focusing on Japan. Japan has the least sales of console games iirc and has a smaller smash fanbase. Why was almost everyone happy with Little Mac's inclusion? Because Japan didn't even know who he was. By arbitrarily saying no to American only things, you should say no to Lucas and the FE cast. I love FE but still, it's one or the other!

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Honestly, as racist as it may potentially sound, Smash needs to stop focusing on Japan. Japan has the least sales of console games iirc and has a smaller smash fanbase. Why was almost everyone happy with Little Mac's inclusion? Because Japan didn't even know who he was. By arbitrarily saying no to American only things, you should say no to Lucas and the FE cast. I love FE but still, it's one or the other!
To be fair, Awakening has sold way better in the west than in Japan...

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Let's be fair here, I wouldn't say Smash is completely biased against the US - It's just the fact that Sakurai is Japanese, his staff is Japanese, Nintendo is Japanese, and Smash is a Japanese made game. The east having more influence here does make sense.

The US is thrown a bone sometimes. Like you said, Little Mac and Punch-Out!! were much, much more famous in the US than they were in Japan. I believe a similar thing could be said for Duck Hunt and the NES Zapper. Over here, they're highly iconic pieces of retro gaming, partly due to being bundled with the NES, but not so much in Japan. In fact, the Zapper as we all know it wasn't even released there. It had the appearance of a realistic revolver and was literally called just "The Gun".

So naturally, with the NES Zapper basically not being released in Sakurai's home country and his refusal to have realistic firearms in Smash (Snake's moveset was intentionally designed not to use any actual guns), I never expected it to officially make an appearance in a Smash game. Then Duck Hunt's trailer proved me wrong:

As well as Sakurai's comment on one of the pic of the days: "The object being held is called an NES Zapper. This is an accessory which was released for the NES outside of Japan." So he's not completely oblivious to the west.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Being fair, Sakurai has been trying to be a bit more reluctant on including Japanese only characters this time. Which is probably why Lucas and perhaps Roy where lower priority....

Can we have a character that is the most popular in Europe for once.....Like Layton.........?:x

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Let's be fair here, I wouldn't say Smash is completely biased against the US - It's just the fact that Sakurai is Japanese, his staff is Japanese, Nintendo is Japanese, and Smash is a Japanese made game. The east having more influence here does make sense.

The US is thrown a bone sometimes. Like you said, Little Mac and Punch-Out!! were much, much more famous in the US than they were in Japan. I believe a similar thing could be said for Duck Hunt and the NES Zapper. Over here, they're highly iconic pieces of retro gaming, partly due to being bundled with the NES, but not so much in Japan. In fact, the Zapper as we all know it wasn't even released there. It had the appearance of a realistic revolver and was literally called just "The Gun".

So naturally, with the NES Zapper basically not being released in Sakurai's home country and his refusal to have realistic firearms in Smash (Snake's moveset was intentionally designed not to use any actual guns), I never expected it to officially make an appearance in a Smash game. Then Duck Hunt's trailer proved me wrong:

As well as Sakurai's comment on one of the pic of the days: "The object being held is called an NES Zapper. This is an accessory which was released for the NES outside of Japan." So he's not completely oblivious to the west.
Oblivious means not knowing. Sakurai's ignoring certain things. Didn't DKC do well in Japan too actually? Otherwise Sakurai might not like us western folk touching monkeys

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
So continuing the Pokémon theme from page 1934, (cause I don't want to talk about cuts, or Japanese bias) here is the list of potential newcomers for Pokémon I came up with.

Golduck-Golduck can be found in every single game (Meaning you aren’t forced to transfer it from generation to generation to have it in every region). This is saying a lot considering that the only other to do this are Zubat, Golbat, Psyduck, Magnemite, and Magneton. Golduck is the only one of these six Pokémon that could really work in a smash game. It can also make use of a wide veriaty of moves to keep his moveset interesting.
Heracross-Heracross has appeared in every game since its debut, and despite being bug type, managed to remain viable in competitive play. Because of this, Heracross has its own little fanbase, and is perfect for a Hoenn rep (that isn’t a starter). He has tons of moveset potential and has a Mega Evolution. And Mega Evolution=Insta-Final Smash.
Zoruark-Zoruark has appeared in every game since its debut…but it appeared in the last generation so that doesn’t really count. What makes people like it so much is its ability: Illusion. It also starred in its own movie, and many believed it would replace Lucario. (Which made me kind of hate Zoruark because Lucario is my 3rd favorite Pokémon, and was 2nd favorite at the time.) It does have the moveset potential though.
Sceptile-Sceptile has a pretty big fanbase, not sure why, but it does.
Beedrill-A Beedrill swarm has appeared in every region even though it doesn’t appear in every game. It is in no way more likely than the others in this list, but it does stand out. (At least in my opinion)
Smeargle-Smeargle has almost endless potential, but lacks the fanbase…Maybe if he got an evolution...
Blaziken-Blaziken has pretty good potential, and has an established fanbase, so why not?
Garchomp-Garchomp has the potential and (as far as I know) the fans.
Plussle & Minun-Plussle & Minun could bring a gimmick that nobody else can, so if they were planned for Brawl, then it doesn’t seem all that Farfetch’d. I’m willing to bet that it they were in Brawl than they would be in ssb4
Darkrai-Darkrai is relatively well known, is totally OP, has much potential to bring his OP moves to the battlefield, and has starred in its own movie. Unfortunately, he is a Poké Ball summon.
EDIT: Any Pokémon that appears in Pokken Tournament cause they get insta-fame.
EDIT 2x: Weavile and Ledian-The two don't seem to have very many fans, but they would be cool Joto reps.
EDIT 3x: Weavile isn't from Joto.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Being fair, Sakurai has been trying to be a bit more reluctant on including Japanese only characters this time. Which is probably why Lucas and perhaps Roy where lower priority....

Can we have a character that is the most popular in Europe for once.....Like Layton.........?:x
Yeah, you know that is an interesting thought, are there any character choices in the roster that appeal specifically to European fans?

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
So continuing the Pokémon theme from page 1934, (cause I don't want to talk about cuts, or Japanese bias) here is the list of potential newcomers for Pokémon I came up with.

Golduck-Golduck can be found in every single game (Meaning you aren’t forced to transfer it from generation to generation to have it in every region). This is saying a lot considering that the only other to do this are Zubat, Golbat, Psyduck, Magnemite, and Magneton. Golduck is the only one of these six Pokémon that could really work in a smash game. It can also make use of a wide veriaty of moves to keep his moveset interesting.
Heracross-Heracross has appeared in every game since its debut, and despite being bug type, managed to remain viable in competitive play. Because of this, Heracross has its own little fanbase, and is perfect for a Hoenn rep (that isn’t a starter). He has tons of moveset potential and has a Mega Evolution. And Mega Evolution=Insta-Final Smash.
Zoruark-Zoruark has appeared in every game since its debut…but it appeared in the last generation so that doesn’t really count. What makes people like it so much is its ability: Illusion. It also starred in its own movie, and many believed it would replace Lucario. (Which made me kind of hate Zoruark because Lucario is my 3rd favorite Pokémon, and was 2nd favorite at the time.) It does have the moveset potential though.
Beedrill-A Beedrill swarm has appeared in every region even though it doesn’t appear in every game. It is in no way more likely than the others in this list, but it does stand out. (At least in my opinion)
Smeargle-Smeargle has almost endless potential, but lacks the fanbase…Maybe if he got an evolution...
Blaziken-Blaziken has pretty good potential, and has an established fanbase, so why not?
Plussle & Minun-Plussle & Minun could bring a gimmick that nobody else can, so if they were planned for Brawl, then it doesn’t seem all that Farfetch’d. I’m willing to bet that it they were in Brawl than they would be in ssb4
Darkrai-Darkrai is relatively well known, is totally OP, has much potential to bring his OP moves to the battlefield, and has starred in its own movie. Unfortunately, he is a Poké Ball summon.
Gardevoir.

Cool Typhlosion

Smash Apprentice

Maybe throw Jhoto a bit of love all it got was a Clone and some Pokeball pokemon

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442

Obligatory when talking about Pokemon:

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Oblivious means not knowing. Sakurai's ignoring certain things. Didn't DKC do well in Japan too actually? Otherwise Sakurai might not like us western folk touching monkeys
Well We do want Ridley and we all know Sakurai could care less about him

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Someone made a support thread for Tyranitar the other day. He would be cool since he'd represent pseudo-legendaries and the Johto region. If we got a Johto Pokemon I'd prefer Sneasel or Pichu though.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Mfw nobody else wants Scizor.

View attachment 53045
I don't like Scizor that much. It bugs me. Scratch this joke
I'm guessing no one's mentioning him on account of him being a Poke Ball summon. He could be cool. I don't want to see any more "Badass humanoid" Pokemon though.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Mfw nobody else wants Scizor.

View attachment 53045
Scizor is my second favorite Pokemon (with Mewtwo as my third) so he would be pretty awesome, but I think his move potential is limited.

Feraligatr (if it wasn't for Greninja, anyway), Tyranitar, Suicune, Sneasel, and Celebi are probably the Johto Pokemon I would like to see the most in Smash. Ampharos and Heracross would be pretty sweet too, though.

Though, I always thought Rhydon would be a cool Smash Pokemon, as the first Pokemon ever created and the first Rock/Ground type in Smash.

EDIT: Something interesting to consider:

Types not in Smash 4
Grass*
Poison*
Ground
Rock
Ice
Bug
Dragon
Ghost

*In a previous Smash game.

Pretty mindblowing to me that there's never been a Bug or Dragon type.

Last edited:

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
One thing I do see happening next Smash is :4villager::4villagerf: getting the taller re-designs from New leaf

As for Pokemon I like playable it's definitely a tie between

and

I'd also like some better Fairy representation at least give :4jigglypuff:a few sparkles here and there

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
To be completely honest, I missed out on two generations of Pokemon and I haven't been playing Pokemon Y as much as I'd like to (I believe I'm between the first and second gyms), but if I had to pick another Pokemon to include (aside from veterans - I'd love to see Squirtle and Ivysaur return), I'd go with Genesect.

Don't know much about it, but it's the only bug-type legendary, one of the few man-made Pokemon (though I could be wrong on that one), and it's a transforming bug robot with a cannon on its back, so I'd be interested in seeing it in Smash Bros. Admittedly, my reasons probably aren't the best, but I completely missed out on the generation that it appeared in, so I'm largely going off of its appearance.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I just don't think Meowth would be a very novel fighter beyond being a cartoon cat.

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
I like a lot of the choices but if I had to pick two, they would be Sceptile and Hawlucha. They have a big fanbase going for them so that's a plus. Sceptile would be a cool fighter to have, he's my favorite Hoenn starter, and it would balance out the grass, fire, and water starter thing. I want Hawlucha so I can put him in the ring with Little Mac and have a boxer vs wrestler fight.

Last edited:

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Novel? Meaning?
Novel; Adj.

"Of a new kind; different from anything seen or known before."

Many people doubt the inclusion of Team Rocket based gizmos, which basically just leaves him as a cat with a coin projectile. He offers so little to the roster as a fighter that he would likely be overlooked in favor of fighters who have more obviously interesting fighting potential.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Novel; Adj.

"Of a new kind; different from anything seen or known before."

Many people doubt the inclusion of Team Rocket based gizmos, which basically just leaves him as a cat with a coin projectile. He offers so little to the roster as a fighter that he would likely be overlooked in favor of fighters who have more obviously interesting fighting potential.
Little Mac is just a boxer. Duck Hunt Dog is just a cartoon dog. I never forget those detractors and their arbitrary arguments.

Meowth could easily fit the feline fighter archetype that Smash lacks... Meowth could be like Felicia, Cham Cham, etc. from other fighting games where he fights by scratching, pouncing, and being agile... in addition to throwing coins in different ways.

Really, you should visit the support thread and check out the moveset (work in progress).

StormC

Smash Hero
Little Mac is just a boxer. Duck Hunt Dog is just a cartoon dog. I never forget those detractors and their arbitrary arguments.
It wasn't an argument. It was me stating my disinterest in Meowth as a fighter. You're free to disagree.

(Duck Hunt isn't just a dog, it's a dog with a bird and an offscreen gunman.)

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
It wasn't an argument. It was me stating my disinterest in Meowth as a fighter. You're free to disagree.

(Duck Hunt isn't just a dog, it's a dog with a bird and an offscreen gunman.)
You obviously were interested enough to express your disinterest. :troll:

And for 12 years, many people dismissed Duck Hunt Dog because they cannot picture a cartoon dog fighting with ducks like Banjo-Kazooie and using an offscreen gunman like I often suggested... Duck Hunt is exactly what I envisioned... and now people are interested in Duck Hunt only because they had no choice but to be compelled to see it (thank you based Sakurai). :awesome:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I don't like Scizor that much. It bugs me. Scratch this joke
I'm guessing no one's mentioning him on account of him being a Poke Ball summon. He could be cool. I don't want to see any more "Badass humanoid" Pokemon though.
Scizor is no longer a Poké Ball summon. He is just a background character. and you know what we do with background characters? We leave them to Alfonso!
To be completely honest, I missed out on two generations of Pokemon and I haven't been playing Pokemon Y as much as I'd like to (I believe I'm between the first and second gyms), but if I had to pick another Pokemon to include (aside from veterans - I'd love to see Squirtle and Ivysaur return), I'd go with Genesect.

Don't know much about it, but it's the only bug-type legendary, one of the few man-made Pokemon (though I could be wrong on that one), and it's a transforming bug robot with a cannon on its back, so I'd be interested in seeing it in Smash Bros. Admittedly, my reasons probably aren't the best, but I completely missed out on the generation that it appeared in, so I'm largely going off of its appearance.
He is a Poké Ball Summon though.
I like a lot of the choices but if I had to pick two, they would be Sceptile and Hawlucha. They have a big fanbase going for them so that's a plus. Sceptile would be a cool fighter to have, he's my favorite Hoenn starter, and it would balance out the grass, fire, and water starter thing. I want Hawlucha so I can put him in the ring with Little Mac and have a boxer vs wrestler fight.
Hawlcha has a fanbase? Where?

Sid-cada

Smash Lord

Meowth could easily fit the feline fighter archetype that Smash lacks... Meowth could be like Felicia, Cham Cham, etc. from other fighting games where he fights by scratching, pouncing, and being agile... in addition to throwing coins in different ways.

Really, you should visit the support thread and check out the moveset (work in progress).
OK, confession time. While I supported Little Mac, I kinda dismissed Duck Hunt. Most movesets I saw didn't feature the moveset he was given, though, or described so poorly that I missed what was there. Honestly, the can and gunmen saved him.

I'm going to have to echo what I said about Duck Hunt before with what Meowth move sets are currently there, though. A move set is a toolkit; you've given me a pretty picture. It's nice looking, but it doesn't do anything.

When making a move set for me, try striping away as much imagery as possible, and just imagine hitboxes. Boil each move down to it's basics: the damage racker, the spacer, the KO move, then fit together a coherent play-style.

"Boxer" is not a play-style, but "Patient character who excels at countering opponents" (what I envisioned his play-style beforehand) and "Completely grounded character whose domination and charging for a one-hit KO, balanced out by terrible air and recovery" are. Thus far, you've presented something remarkably similar to MK's and Sonic's "rush you down and give you no breathing room." Care to split hairs?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
OK, confession time. While I supported Little Mac, I kinda dismissed Duck Hunt. Most movesets I saw didn't feature the moveset he was given, though, or described so poorly that I missed what was there. Honestly, the can and gunmen saved him.

I'm going to have to echo what I said about Duck Hunt before with what Meowth move sets are currently there, though. A move set is a toolkit; you've given me a pretty picture. It's nice looking, but it doesn't do anything.

When making a move set for me, try striping away as much imagery as possible, and just imagine hitboxes. Boil each move down to it's basics: the damage racker, the spacer, the KO move, then fit together a coherent play-style.

"Boxer" is not a play-style, but "Patient character who excels at countering opponents" (what I envisioned his play-style beforehand) and "Completely grounded character whose domination and charging for a one-hit KO, balanced out by terrible air and recovery" are. Thus far, you've presented something remarkably similar to MK's and Sonic's "rush you down and give you no breathing room." Care to split hairs?
I can talk about playstyle and like I said before, Meowth could fill the feline fighter niche that is currently lacking in Smash. Feline fighters from other fighting games such as Felicia from Darkstalkers, Cham Cham from Samurai Shodown, Taokaka from BlazBlue, Ms. Fortune from Skullgirls, and Catwoman from Injustice Gods Among Us can be used as a frame of reference. What they have in common is that they fight by scratching and being agile... that's Meowth's speciality since he is the Scratch Cat Pokemon.

Hmm... looking at my moveset, perhaps Meowth could chain together different special moves after using Feint Attack (Down+B). That could make Meowth somewhat a trickster... playing mind games with opponents by keeping them guesing what Meowth might do after doing Feint Attack.

Feint Attack followed by Pay Day (Neutral B)... Meowth could pounce while scattering coins from his body... it could be as useful as M. Bison's flaming body move. It is stronger, slower, and doesn't go far compared to the vanilla version (Neutral A).

Feint Attack followed by Thief (Side+B)... it could be a fourth jump if the moves are used in that order (recommended for horizontal recovery)... Meowth could pounce on the opponent and steals their held item (if any)

Feint Attack followed by Fury Swipes (Up+B)... it could be a fourth jump if the moves are used in that order (recommended for vertical recovery)... Meowth basically back flips over and then scratches in the chosen direction.

Just brainstorming here. :awesome:

EmceeEspio

Not the Break Man
NNID
captainlucario

I myself, as a Meowth fan, would imagine him as a spacey rush down character, with Pay Day neutral B refreshing his Claw and Swipes attacks as a projectile. He can't take a hit, and his KO power is limited, but he racks damage quickly with moves like Payday (B), Fury Swipes (Side B), and Night Slash (Down B).

Oh yeah, and he would have to talk. That is the most important part. If he got in without "Meowth, that's right!" In a Tauntbor Victory or SOMETHING, I would be a tiny bit ABSOLUTELY LIVID.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom