• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Duck Hunt Dog wasn't very requested either... and Wii Fit Trainer literally had zero (genuine, not troll) requests according to Sakurai.

The common arguments against Meowth are:
  • too many 1st gen reps (what's wrong with that? most, if not all, of the first 151 Pokemon are pretty damn iconic compared to the majority of other 500+ Pokemon)
  • too many Pokemon reps (oh, but if it is your favorite Pokemon (examples: Hawlucha, Sceptile, etc.) then it is suddenly not too many Pokemon, right?)
  • not unique enough (so come up with something to make it unique - at least I am making an effort)
  • does not have anything that writes a moveset (ignorance due to knowing Meowth only from the anime... Meowth as a species are capable of many moves in the games... Meowth in Smash could be a composite character, based on both anime and the games)
  • anime characters are prohibited (Meowth originated in games first :rolleyes:)
  • but I want Team Rocket Meowth and not a generic Meowth from the games so it will never happen (so because it is unpreceded, Team Rocket Meowth cannot set a precedent?)
  • we already have a Normal-type Pokemon so we shouldn't have another one! (says who?)
  • we are not going to have two different Pokemon of the same type in the same game (oh, because :4greninja: replaced :squirtle: right? :rolleyes: even though they aren't even similar to each other at all :facepalm:)
  • he is not requested enough (yay for circular logic... don't request Meowth > Meowth is not requested enough > don't request Meowth > ...)
I guarantee if Meowth is in a legit leak or Meowth is unexpectedly confirmed as a newcomer, many of you will be suddenly hyping for Meowth and saying you have always wanted Meowth all along, that you secretly wanted Meowth in Smash for years, that he really deserved to be in Smash since Smash 64, that it made too much sense to add Meowth in Smash, etc. Just like what's happened with :4duckhunt: in the ESRB leaks. :052:
The difference is that DLC is like 100% about requested characters or huge icons like Ryu.
I don't hate Meowth, but I'm pretty sure it will not happen.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
There's also the fact that a lot of people just prefer most of those 500+ Pokémon over Meowth.

Not that I don't like Meowth, but there are about ten Pokémon I'd rather see before it, in all honesty.
I understand your point... I'd like to see Hawlucha, Sylveon, etc. in Smash... it's just that it makes more sense to add a famous Pokemon like Meowth over an obscure Pokemon since Meowth would be widely recognized by several demographic groups, especially casual gamers and Pokemon anime fans in addition to Smash fans and Pokemon game fans.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Are there any STAGES people want . I came up with an idea for Temporal tower
The great thing about DLC stage is that they can add music people were clamouring for, or ones that didn't make the cut.
All stages I want are for the Wii U version unless specified otherwise.

Existing Stages

:4mario:: Princess Peach's Castle :mariomelee:, Rainbow Cruise :mariomelee:, Mario Bros.:mario2:, Paper Mario :4mario:.

:4tlink:: Hyrule Castle :link64:, Great Bay (3DS) :linkmelee:, Pirate Ship :toonlink:.

:4samus:: Brinstar Depths :samusmelee:.

:4kirby:: Dream Land :kirby64:, Fountain of Dreams :kirbymelee:.

:4fox:: Corneria :foxmelee:, Venom :foxmelee:.

:4pikachu:: Pokemon Stadium :pikachumelee:, Poke Floats :pikachumelee:, Spear Pillar :pikachu2:

:4yoshi:: Yoshi's Island :yoshi64:, Yoshi's Story :yoshimelee:.

:4falcon:: Big Blue :falconmelee:.

:4ness:: New Pork City :ness2:

:4lucina:: Arena Ferox :4lucina:

:4pit:: Reset Bomb Forest :4pit:.

:4wario2:: WarioWare Inc. :warioc:.

:4sonic:: Green Hill Zone :sonic:.

:4pacman:: Pac-Maze :4pacman:.

:substitute:: Battlefield [Melee], Final Destination [Melee]

Original Stages:

:4mario:: Paper Mario Show Stage - changing backgrounds references all Paper Mario games. Live audience.

:4bowser:: World Bowser - badass carnival, Bowser stage, excuse to use more Super Mario 3D World and Bowser music.

:4dk:: Gang-plank Galleon - King K. Rool home stage, more awesome DKC music.

:4link:: Voyage of Time - Hybrid stage of all Ocarina of Time Temple dungeons. Ocarina songs play during transitions.

Overall Top Five:

1. Pirate Ship
2. World Bowser
3. Big Blue
4. Princess Peach's Castle
5. Poke Floats

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Any stage that's exclusive to the 3DS shouldn't be on the Wii U and vice versa IMO. It waters down the 3DS version which already is really inferior to the Wii U version.

Also, that's the great thing about both versions. You can play as the same characters though the stages are different.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Mario: Bowser's Castle (seriously, how have we been through four Smash Bros. games with Bowser, but not his castle?)

Donkey Kong: Gangplank Galleon, Krazy Kremland, Krack Shot Kroc... There's so many options for stages, so I don't know why they exclusively stick with jungles

Metroid: Phendrana Drifts, SkyTown - again, there are way more options than an industrial/lava-based stage

Kid Icarus: Hades - he could work as a playable character, but I think he could also work as a stage (at the very least, you'd probably get a lot more funny comments out of him this way)

Wario: Greenhorn Forest, Wario's Castle (based on the first stages of Wario Land 2), The Big Bridge (or anything from Wario Land 3), Glittertown - it would be nice to actually see Wario's platforming games represented, as opposed to being virtually ignored within Smash Bros.

Sonic: Chemical Plant Zone (any classic stage would work, really, but when I think of ones that could be turned into Smash Bros. stages, Chemical Plant is the first that comes to mind)

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
The thing is that I don't really care about or play the 3DS version...as far as I'm concerned it's Smash Lite and I prefer to play on the Wii U.
I guess it's in the realm of possibility but if it were to happen, the 3DS version should get an equal amount of Wii U stages in the game as well to balance it out. You don't want to market one version of the game as inferior to the other.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I guess it's in the realm of possibility but if it were to happen, the 3DS version should get an equal amount of Wii U stages in the game as well to balance it out. You don't want to market one version of the game as inferior to the other.
You do when the 3DS version is clearly selling a million times better than the console version because the Wii U is sinking like a rock.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Eh I'd rather see brand new stages or old stages from the first three games that didn't return to either version than getting stages from one version to another. I have no issues with playing either version's as I play them both regularly anyway. And the fact they have a number of different stages is what they where partly advertised for. Maybe one or two stages for each. But probably for the best to stick with brand new stages or stages from the first three games that didn't return to either imo.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
You do when the 3DS version is clearly selling a million times better than the console version because the Wii U is sinking like a rock.
True but it has more to do with the Wii U not doing so well while the 3DS is selling like crazy.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Doesn't Pichu kinda destroy that second last argument?
Yeah, I know.... but then again Pichu was cut from the sequels... :ohwell: and he was a last minute unplanned filler clone. :ohwell:

The difference is that DLC is like 100% about requested characters or huge icons like Ryu.
I don't hate Meowth, but I'm pretty sure it will not happen.
I know it will not happen for SSB4 DLC... I am just trying to get more people to be more vocal with their support for Meowth for SSB5. We probably have five years before SSB5 is even announced so I am trying to gather more supporters in the meantime... trying to get Nintendo's, Pokemon Company's, and Sakurai's attention so they would do something about it.

I know people feel that Nintendo and Sakurai don't listen to the fans... but we did get :bowsermelee::falcomelee::ganondorfmelee::marthmelee::mewtwomelee::peachmelee::zeldamelee: in Melee, :charizard::dedede::diddy::ike::lucario::metaknight::olimar::pit::pt::sonic::toonlink::wario::wolf: in Brawl, and :4bowserjr::4duckhunt::4littlemac::4lucas::4megaman::4mewtwo::4mii::4palutena::4pacman::4robinm::4shulk::4villager: in SSB4... some of them took longer than others but they all eventually became playable characters in Smash, finally!!! The persistence paid off for those supporters... I am not giving up on Meowth now because I've been supporting him since Smash 64... just like most of you don't give up on Ridley, King K. Rool, Dixie Kong, and/or Toad since 1999.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Eh I'd rather see brand new stages or old stages from the first three games that didn't return to either version than getting stages from one version to another. I have no issues with playing either version's as I play them both regularly anyway. And the fact they have a number of different stages is what they where partly advertised for. Maybe one or two stages for each. But probably for the best to stick with brand new stages or stages from the first three games that didn't return to either imo.
You don't want to see 3DS stages get more music options? Like the Rainbow Road stage with every version of the Rainbow Road theme on it?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah, I know.... but then again Pichu was cut from the sequels... :ohwell: and he was a last minute unplanned filler clone. :ohwell:
Yeah but still. As far as I'm aware his cut had more to do with him being a (very controversial) joke character than his typing....
You don't want to see 3DS stages get more music options? Like the Rainbow Road stage with every version of the Rainbow Road theme on it?
Well that would be nice I guess. But since that stage was crafted specifically for coming from a handheld game for handheld themed crossover game. I kinda doubt we would see it. If anything, I think we can probably see Magicant and Mute City coming over to Wii U if we would get any DLC 3DS stages brought over....
That said, I'd still rather see more stages that aren't in either version than just bringing over every stage from one version to another.... :/

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I officially want Wonder Red now. Stages?
:4mario:: Bowser's Castle, no brainer
:4pikachu:: Poke Floats, just for nice chaotic matches
:4kirby:: Another Dimension, Grand Doomer's theme and Super Copy Abilities are mandatory
:4dk:: Gangplank Galleon, Fear Factory and Bramble Blast, shows other places DK goes to
:4duckhunt:: A different version of the stage but with the Zapper in the foreground trying to net some KOs
:4fox:: Sauria, so we get the fan favourite Tricky to appear(!)
:4link:: Stone Temple, a Frigate Orpheon reskin
:4marth:: A battlefield with multiple effects such as rain to slow movement or fog to make players lose sight of the stage, can still see themselves
:4ness:: Magicant for Wii U
:4megaman:: A travelling stage that showcases some of Mega Man's stages, Metal Man with conveyer belts, Ring Man with dissaperaing platforms, etc.
:4pacman:: Pac-Maze for Wii U
:4rob:: Gyromite stage where a giant ROB moves vertical platforms and Stack Up, Where blocks are balanced, they can be knocked over and used as weapons!
:4samus:: Brinstar Depths and Norion, Norion having the gimmick that the floor takes damage, to much damage, it shifts to a giant vent, where it's an aerial battle, walls damage you so you don't remain helpless
:4shulk:: Mechonis, gotta have that sexy titan on there somewhere

StormC

Smash Hero
So here's a question to float: if Brawl had DLC, what characters would they have added?

I feel like the following would have been the most likely candidates:

-Mewtwo
-Dr. Mario
-Roy
-K. Rool
-Krystal
-Mega Man
-Bowser Jr.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
So here's a question to float: if Brawl had DLC, what characters would they have added?

-Mewtwo
-Dr. Mario
-Roy
-K. Rool
-Krystal
-Mega Man
-Bowser Jr.
I actually agree with all of these.

I was going to make my own list and then realised it was literally the exact same, so I'll just concur with what you have to say. :3

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Sakurai loves stage hazards, c'mon Samurai, just imagine... lava, Lava Bubbles, Twomps, spikes, Dry Bones, Bowser statues, doors, darkness, bridges...

You know you want it.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

-Mewtwo
-Dr. Mario
-Roy
-K. Rool
-Krystal
-Mega Man
-Bowser Jr.
Probably just the Forbidden 7 that had coding in the game.

- Mewtwo
- Roy
- Dr. Mario
- Dixie Kong
- Toon Zelda/Toon Sheik
- P & M

It is worth noting that Dixie was specifically planned to be playable with Diddy as a team (similar to how they are in DKC2) so they might have had to make Dixie from scratch as a new character.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
As SMX said. Most likely the "forbidden seven" with maaaaybe another character or two.
I kinda feel they have a good chance of getting revived for this game too though. Well at least Dixie Kong and Toon Zelda besides Roy at least....

Last edited:

-Mewtwo
-Dr. Mario
-Roy
-K. Rool
-Krystal
-Mega Man
-Bowser Jr.
The immense outburst of Geno fans might have made an impact but I doubt it.

Probably the forbidden 7 and maybe someone from brawls hype days. (except pra_mai. Personally doubt that was Plusle +Minun even though I would love them)

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Yeah, I don't deny the Forbidden 7 is certainly likely, but some strike me as more likely than others.

And Sakurai would probably look to poll results for character ideas in addition.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
What about the third part of the Paper Mario stage?
This part of the stage is the very reason why I don't like Paper Mario all that much.

I came up with an awesome stage idea. What if we got the Boss Battle rooms from the Mega Man series? The stage would randomly choose from six layouts:
1-This is a flat stage with nothing else too it terrain wise. (Akin to most boss rooms, but has the background of Cloud Man's stage.)
2-This is a basic Pyramid (No slopes though, just walls). The leftmost section is higher than the rightmost section. (Based off of Spark Man's battle room)
3-From left to right this stage has a straight platform with a small dip near the center, a taller platform slightly off center, another dip, and then a straight platform that is level with the leftmost one. (Based off of Snake Man's battle room)
4-This stage is Pyramid like (No slopes), but there is a dip in the middle of it. (Based off of Quick Man's battle room)
5-This is a basic Pyramid (No slopes). (Based off of Pharoah Man's battle room)
6-This stage has a straight platform, then three platforms to the right of it. (Think stairs) There is a small dip that is level with the second platform, and then two more raised platforms to the right of that. (More stairs). (Based off of Flash Man's battle room)

Each Layout has it's own Stage Hazard. Tengu Man appears in Layout 1, Spark Man has Layout 2, Snake Man has Layout 3, Quick Man has layout 4, Pharoah Man has layout 5, and Flash Man has layout 6.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Here's my updated list of DLC characters I think are most likely getting in the game as well as retro DLC stages that I want in the game. Stages to the left are exclusive to the 3DS while the ones on the right are exclusive to the Wii U. The 2 ones in the center are for both versions.

:4mario: Bowser's Castle
:4yoshi: Stage based on the Fuzzy level from SMW2: YI (with fuzzies as stage hazards:troll:)
:4dk: Gangplank Galleon or The Flying Krock
:4wario2: Something from Wario Land series
:4link: Lon Lon Ranch
:4kirby: Fountain of Dreams or something from KRtD or KTD
:4pikachu: Poke Floats or something from Pokemon Mystery Dungeon series

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Stages?

Mario: Don't care.
DK: Gangplank Galleon or The Flying Kroc
Zelda: Sacred Grove (despite woods being a major region of Zelda games we've never had any in Smash)
Metroid: Meridia (something that's not lava please)
Other: Venus Lighthouse or Elemental Stars Chamber (Golden Sun)

Troykv

Smash Master
Stages?... Mmm...

:4mario: (:4bowser:) = A REAL Bowser/Koopa's Castle (Please)
:4dk: = Some stage related with K. Rool
:4marth: (:roypm:) = The Dragon's Gate (or any non-generic place from Pre-Awakening games)

And... Yeah... I don't want in particular other stage

Burruni

Smash Hero
Stage Wishlist?

:4mario:/:4yoshi:: Bowser's Castle, incorporates bits from various titles.
:4dk:: Gangplank Galleon
:4wario2:: Anything from the Wario Land/World titles.
:4pikachu:: Saffron City 64 & Stadium (Melee)
:4link:: Hyrule Castle 64
:4kirby:: Dreamland (64/Melee) & Fountain of Dreams (Melee)

That's... really it.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I feel like Glitz Pit lends itself so well to being a stage. Rawk Hawk works as the boss and some of the fighters can walk into the arena as enemies.
here;s the thing, you can actually do this with the theater.

That's why it's more wanted, gltis pit is the second because it's actually a kind of a theater if you want.

plus, just having the audience makes the theater a must :)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Stages?

Gangplank Galleon
Bramble Scramble

And uhm... Dunno. Give me something from Fire Emblem Path of Radiance or Radiant Dawn. Tower of the Goddess could be a nice idea for example. Altea could also serve as a specific stage for Marth.

Oh and give Bowser his damn castle already. I mean wtf where they thinking, not even having such a stage in Melee and Brawl? There are a whooping NINE Koopas playable in this game, where is their home base? :4bowser::4bowserjr::4larry::4roy::4wendy::4iggy::4morton::4lemmy::4ludwig:

Ganondorf also needs some kind of stage.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom