• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Yeah, I doubt Shulk will be replaced, but a couple of people mentioning the idea makes an impressionable individual like myself slightly concerned. Palutena us also very slightly iffy IMO, but I'm pretty sure she isn't getting cut either.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
:4shulk: can easily be what :4marth: is to FE when it comes to representing Xenoblade. Their can be a bunch of newcomers for the Xenoblade franchise but :4shulk:will always have his spot reserved in Smash seeing as how he's almost the face of the series.

Like I said before, :4robinm:is way too unique to be cut from the roster. If theirs any FE character that's getting cut, it's :4lucina:.

:4littlemac::4bowserjr::rosalina::4palutena:are also pretty much locks for staying in the game. :4greninja:is defiantly not going to get cut seeing as how people thought :4lucario: was getting scrapped and he returned.

Sakurai is notorious for not cutting any retro characters so it's safe to say that :4duckhunt:won't be cut in Smash 5.

:4drmario:is a special case when it comes to clones. He's the only 1 of the 3 clones to have a good amount of differences with his originator and also gives players a chance to use :4mario:'s old moveset pre-Brawl so he has a lot of relevance going in to Smash 5 and will most likely not be cut.

Unless theirs some sort of disagreement between Nintendo and Capcom/Namco, :4megaman::4pacman:are defiantly locks for Smash 5 regardless of how relevant their series are on the merit of being iconic figures in video gaming history.

:4sonic:has his place reserved as the "face of 3rd party representation in Smash" so to speak so he'll never get cut from the roster.

So really, it boils down to :4darkpit::4lucina:being at risk of being cut and even that i'm not too sure of. The 2 can either be significantly decloned or be relegated to alts.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I doubt Lucina and Dark Pit will be cut. At most, I think, they'll be relegated to alts.
If Sakurai directs the next game, then that probably won't happen. He didn't want to make Dr. Mario an alt for Mario because he didn't want to offend the character's fans by having him use Fludd and stuff like that.

Which I can understand. I always really hated the idea of taking already established characters and making them into alts. This is mostly in regards to the people who thought Lucas, Wolf and Falco should be alts for Ness and Fox. Even though Doc is basically Mario in different clothing, in the context of Smash, he's his own character, and his own identity, and Sakurai would probably just toss him and the other clones out completely if he couldn't bring them back as their own character slots.

And about Project M....Dr. Mario being an alt there only kinda sort of works because their Mario is designed as a mixture of his Melee incarnation and Doc, which Smash 4 Mario obviously is not. Even then...there are some things that are off (Mario's flamethrower winpose looks really awkward with Doc's electricity) .

EmceeEspio

Not the Break Man
NNID
captainlucario
If Sakurai directs the next game, then that probably won't happen. He didn't want to make Dr. Mario an alt for Mario because he didn't want to offend the character's fans by having him use Fludd and stuff like that.

Which I can understand. I always really hated the idea of taking already established characters and making them into alts. This is mostly in regards to the people who thought Lucas, Wolf and Falco should be alts for Ness and Fox. Even though Doc is basically Mario in different clothing, in the context of Smash, he's his own character, and his own identity, and Sakurai would probably just toss him and the other clones out completely if he couldn't bring them back as their own character slots.

And about Project M....Dr. Mario being an alt there only kinda sort of works because their Mario is designed as a mixture of his Melee incarnation and Doc, which Smash 4 Mario obviously is not. Even then...there are some things that are off (Mario's flamethrower winpose looks really awkward with Doc's electricity) .
This is one of the things that have always bothered me.

This, and saying certain characters would be clones when it makes no sense for them to be. (Impa and Mach Rider as clones? SERIOUSLY!?!?)

EmceeEspio

Not the Break Man
NNID
captainlucario
...except Impa would be a perfect clone of Sheik.
Can't see Mach Rider being a clone of anyone though?
I've had several complaints after saying Mach Rider would be a cool character that he would be "Captain Falcon with Bike Specials".

Two words: BIKE FU.

He is always on his bike. Interesting AND hella fun. All problems solved.

For Impa, give her a Naginata and different Ninja tropes. She and Shiek can play similarly without being full clones.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
If they include Impa it's not going to be using a side weapon from a spin-off game. If they have to have a character representing Hyrule Warriors Lana is a much better choice.

I used to want a permanently mounted Mach Rider as a character but now I prefer Excite Biker because it makes a lot more sense and would be less problematic.

EmceeEspio

Not the Break Man
NNID
captainlucario
If they include Impa it's not going to be using a side weapon from a spin-off game. If they have to have a character representing Hyrule Warriors Lana is a much better choice.

I used to want a permanently mounted Mach Rider as a character but now I prefer Excite Biker because it makes a lot more sense and would be less problematic.
I actually don't see why not. I'm not saying she should use the design (Though I do think that is her best one), I'm just saying that it's an interesting concept and now has ties to the character from a more popular appearance of hers.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
Honestly if you swapped Bowser Jr. and Shulk's places here it would be pretty close to my own opinion...
The fact that Sakurai stated that Bowser Jr. was close to being scrapped due to time constraints tells me that he and the Koopalings have the biggest chance of getting cut outside of the clone characters.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
:4darkpit: and :4lucina: just seem like no brainers,
I agree.

:4greninja: :4robinm::4shulk: could be replaced by newer characters in their franchises,
That didn't really stop :jigglypuff64: or :marthmelee: or :sheikmelee: or :lucario: or :ike: or :ness2: though, did it?

Though I do think :4greninja: will be low priority, he's no Lucario. That said, while I believe he'll be low priority, I think he'll still make it back.

:4megaman: could be gone for not having a game in a billion years,
Well it's not like he got in for being a super recent kinda character in the first place.

and I get the feeling that :4mii:is either going to be scrapped or reduced down to one super customizable character.
Reduced to one super customizable character maybe, but outright scrapped seems about as likely as Nintendo outright scrapping the Miis in general.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I hope so. I would rather have Bowser Jr. have cool palette swaps rather than having the Koopalings as alts.

I also want this:4roy:son of a gun to be obliterated from this planet.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I don't know why people are doubting cuts. They've happened literally every time except for when the roster only contained 12 characters.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I don't know why people are doubting cuts. They've happened literally every time except for when the roster only contained 12 characters.
Thing is Sakurai hates making cuts so I doubt we would see anyone getting cut given the massive amount of characters we would see in Smash 5.

Everyone in the roster currently has no reason to be cut other than the 2 everyone mentioned before and even then, they would have a good chance of getting in the game afterwards.

Thing is Sakurai hates making cuts so I doubt we would see anyone getting cut given the massive amount of characters we would see in Smash 5.

Everyone in the roster currently has no reason to be cut other than the 2 everyone mentioned before and even then, they would have a good chance of getting in the game afterwards.
you doubt people would be cut because the roster is larger? that seems backwards.

And people said the same thing about ice climbers/wolf/lucas etc that there was "no reason to be cut" and look where we are now.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I hope so. I would rather have Bowser Jr. have cool palette swaps rather than having the Koopalings as alts.

I also want this:4roy:son of a gun to be obliterated from this planet.
pls no. We can always have 2 Roys. Just make this one have Koopa at the end of his name
Once I was on Castle Seige for Allstar fighting Roy, Roy's Hope or something played

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
So basically, only in like 2 out of 4 games?:troll:

Nah but seriously, regardless of what cuts will happen, the only character cuts from the Smash 4 newcomer roster that I actually want to be cut would be two out of the three Mii Fighters.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Sakurai's words < Sakurai's actions

There have been cuts every time since Melee. Thinking there won't be any cuts going forward with the roster now reaching a tipping point for those of the genre and focusing on the recent is just silly.

Obv I can understand why people wouldn't want cuts, but to think they won't happen is pretty much turning a blind eye to the last three rosters.

And yes, there will be DLC, but there's also DLC this time around which will only add to the number of characters that would have to make it back next time for there to be no cuts.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Sakurai clearly prioritizes other elements of the game more than bringing back the entire roster, which probably isn't how we'd do things, but explains why characters with "no reason to be cut" end up being cut.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
you doubt people would be cut because the roster is larger? that seems backwards.

And people said the same thing about ice climbers/wolf/lucas etc that there was "no reason to be cut" and look where we are now.
Unless they were specifically planning some characters for DLC, I doubt it would happen. Snake and IC's had issues that forced them to be cut while Lucas (and most likely Wolf as well) are returning as DLC. The only true cuts from Brawl are Squirtle and Ivysaur which I guess is to be expected as with all the Gen 1 reps in the game currently, only Charizard would return from the 3 given his massive popularity.

Nothings for sure though I doubt it would happen unless it was for Lucina/Dark Pit.

Sakurai's words < Sakurai's actions

There have been cuts every time since Melee. Thinking there won't be any cuts going forward with the roster now reaching a tipping point for those of the genre and focusing on the recent is just silly.

Obv I can understand why people wouldn't want cuts, but to think they won't happen is pretty much turning a blind eye to the last three rosters.

And yes, there will be DLC, but there's also DLC this time around which will only add to the number of characters that would have to make it back next time for there to be no cuts.
Going back to what I said above, unless some characters are being planned specifically for DLC (or can't make the initial roster due to time restraints), there's a good chance that no one other than the previously mentioned 2 will get the boot.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
The thing to remember about cuts is that the team is working with a finite number of resources and time, they need to meet a deadline and they know they can't finish everything they want to do, so priorities are made and because of that things like characters will fall to the wayside. It's just the way development works, as much as you want to put in what you want, not everything can be done and it's better to get what you can do in the time allotted then try to do everything and end up with a half-finished mess.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Going back to what I said above, unless some characters are being planned specifically for DLC (or can't make the initial roster due to time restraints), there's a good chance that no one other than the previously mentioned 2 will get the boot.
It's possible it will only be Lucina and Dark Pit, and maybe Dr. Mario - he seems more expendable than most even if he has shown up more than once - but then again it's not like either round of cuts has been comprised solely of characters expected to get cut (or at least more expected than others).

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
It's possible it will only be Lucina and Dark Pit, and maybe Dr. Mario - he seems more expendable than most even if he has shown up more than once - but then again it's not like either round of cuts has been comprised solely of characters expected to get cut (or at least more expected than others).
Nah, Doc most likely has his spot reserved in the series going forward. He's easy to make and is differentiated enough from Mario enough to keep his spot not to mention he gives players a chance to use pre-Brawl Mario's moveset.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
But he's clearly been low priority ever single time he's been planned. It just depends how low priority he is in the future.

And again, just because they're easy to bring back doesn't mean they will come back. Often the easier characters to bring back are the ones most in danger of getting cut, because they're clones and semi-clones.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
But he's clearly been low priority ever single time he's been planned. It just depends how low priority he is in the future.

And again, just because they're easy to bring back doesn't mean they will come back. Often the easier characters to bring back are the ones most in danger of getting cut, because they're clones and semi-clones.
I suppose so. Then again, all the 6 veterans that got cut this time around weren't even semi-clones, with the least unique of them only sharing a couple of moves with other characters.

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
I highly, highly disagree with Greninja, Robin and Shulk.

They didn't cut Lucario, Marth, Ike, Ganondorf, Ness, Sheik and it seems like Roy is returning - why would they arbitrarily cut / replace those three characters?

The last-minute clones I can see getting the axe, unless they're fundamentally altered on some level. I doubt Mii will get dropped as well.
Lucario is still significant to the series, look at him in X and Y.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I suppose so. Then again, all the 6 veterans that got cut this time around weren't even semi-clones, with the least unique of them only sharing a couple of moves with other characters.
Lucas and Wolf existed in Smash partially because they were based off other characters, you can call that what you like.

But it really was a different story for the other four. Three were technical-related (Squirtle and Ivysaur probably would've made it back if not for the transformation separation) and Snake was in a situation Nintendo characters wouldn't find themselves in.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Same could be said for the handful of Melee clones which didn't make it back. It's not about ease, the characters who get cut are often the easier ones to bring back anyway.
Literally all melee clones had more differences than Lucina

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Lucas and Wolf existed in Smash partially because they were based off other characters, you can call that what you like.

But it really was a different story for the other four. Three were technical-related (Squirtle and Ivysaur probably would've made it back if not for the transformation separation) and Snake was in a situation Nintendo characters wouldn't find themselves in.
I'm not sure technical limitations explains those two cuts due to :4zss: returning.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
As far as cuts are concerned, it really all boils down to this:

Will the game's engine be changed heavily like it has in past games? If yes, there will be cuts. If no and the game is considered to be a nice balance, the max cuts we'll get are the easy clones, and everyone else, including DLC characters and Ice Climbers, will be back.

And honestly, I have a feeling its going to be a latter. The engine won't be changed too heavily in the next game ('cuz Sakurai isn't come back this time after all) and they'll just update the graphics a bit and make minor tweaks to existing characters, and we won't get many new characters, either.

Argos

Smash Apprentice
I think Sakurai likes to bring back as many characters as possible but doesn't prioritize clones and runs into the occasional snag that makes further work on them more complicated than he thinks they're worth (Ice Climbers getting cut due to the technical limitation as well as only being in one not-particularly-beloved game in 1985, Squirtle and Ivysaur not being seen as significantly robust or iconic as characters to justify keeping them in after the transformation-related issues). I think Mewtwo is the only outlier in this, and he was the furthest along of the forbidden seven iirc. I was like 80% sure Ike was getting cut this time around and had that backfire on me.

edit: Ah wait there's still Snake. I don't think any of us know exactly what's going on with Snake.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I'm not sure technical limitations explains those two cuts due to :4zss: returning.
Well, Metroid has two characters and Pokemon already has six. ZSS is pretty much the only other character that Metroid is going to get, while Pokemon will have more contenders in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom