• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I could be mad but at least he plays Smash..
He doesn't. He wasn't aware there was a new one and said Brawl. Most of my friends play smash, one of them doesn't like Nintendo but after playing Smash he actually really liked it. Ironically enough the total newbie even won a few times, though that's because we don't know what to do against Sonic

Cool Typhlosion

Smash Apprentice
Meowth moveset

B pay day : Simmilar to poke ball role
→b theif : It can steal an enemys item
↑B Rocket balloon : He creates the Meowth ballon from the anime and can fly up
↓B Hypnosis: Meowths Eyes start to glow Pink and any Nearby foe will fall assleep (Meowth can learn it as an egg move from Musharna and a few others)

Final smash Rockstar meowth : he puuls out a gutair and Does basically a stronger version of Babara from Brawl the (gutair Makes a rock version of the rocket theme from gen 1/5/6

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Only beef with the Japan vs Western bias is that this bias made Sakurai resistant in adding Diddy to Melee.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
So assuming the ballot is actually used to chose one or two characters, who do you think is actually going to be added as DLC?

I think maybe Wolf because he's an easy to add veteran, but other than that I have very little idea.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
So assuming the ballot is actually used to chose one or two characters, who do you think is actually going to be added as DLC?

I think maybe Wolf because he's an easy to add veteran, but other than that I have very little idea.
I imagine Wolf will be pre-ballot.

The most popular candidates seem to be K. Rool and Isaac, both of whom are arguably long overdue in the roster.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904

The most popular candidates seem to be K. Rool and Isaac, both of whom are arguably long overdue in the roster.
I voted Isaac.

Yeah, I figured maybe those two but there's so many characters out there that it's SUPER hard to tell.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I'm of the opinion that the ballot "winners" will not be determined by quantity of votes, but by essential merit of popularity and what they can offer.

So while X character could hypothetically get the most votes in a quantitative sense, Y character may still be chosen over them due to their own individual merits, e.g. moveset potential, ease of inclusion, etc.

As much as I would love for it to happen, Sakurai isn't going to change his mind on Ridley or promote Lyn just because they get the most votes; at the same time, K. Rool or Isaac "winning" the ballot in terms of numbers doesn't mean they will automatically be chosen from the other ballot contenders.

What matters in this case is a combination of quantity and quality, and I think it's important that voters consider how they express themselves when voting and make mention of why they think this character should be chosen. K. Rool and Isaac could well be the characters chosen, and if that's the case, it won't be because voters spammed ballot entries en masse - it will be because they made good arguments as to their merits, organised their causes well, demonstrated their potential as characters and overall managed to detail a high level of quality and care in their support.

Of course, we don't know how many will be chosen from the ballot: we could very well end up with five or six newcomers, maybe even more. My opinion is that the ballot isn't a true referendum in the traditional sense, and instead is more akin to a suggestion box. Sakurai will undoubtedly take note of how many characters are being voted for, but mindlessly inflating the ballot count with automated responses isn't going to help much: again, to reiterate, the quality matters as much as the quantity here. And irrespective of which character(s) is / are chosen, it's a great chance to make our voices heard, and it may very well influence Sakurai's creative process in otherwise unexpected ways.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

SSB5 should add these long overdue characters...

Isaac didn't exist in 1999 and that's why he is not in the picture... but he is long overdue too.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I've been posting that picture on Twitter once in a while but it doesn't generate traffic. I guess it doesn't reach enough people to get Nintendo's and Sakurai's attention.

memoryman3

Daisy Obsessed
NNID
memoryman3
Nah, Doc most likely has his spot reserved in the series going forward. He's easy to make and is differentiated enough from Mario enough to keep his spot not to mention he gives players a chance to use pre-Brawl Mario's moveset.
I see other Mario reps more derserving of a spot that another Mario.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Doc won't even get in the way of anyone else seeing as he's easy to make and has a good reason to stay on the roster. Besides, I got a feeling that a character can get cut twice from the roster.

As for stages, I want to see Fourside brought back with a Day/Night system as well as the return of Poke Floats and Rainbow Cruise (all on the Wii U).

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
SSB5 should add these long overdue characters...

Isaac didn't exist in 1999 and that's why he is not in the picture... but he is long overdue too.
Gotta agree that they are the most iconic characters left.

Impa is up there to tho

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
As for the ballot question, I can see 9 DLC characters in total. 6 pre-determined DLC characters...

- Mewtwo
- Lucas
- Wolf
- Roy
- Ryu
- Another character we don't know about

As well as 3 ballot DLC characters

- K. Rool
- Isaac
- A heavily requested third party character

Kamui Nohr

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, so it seems I was bored enough to give Super Smash Bros. characters a little bit of the the Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm treatment. I don't mind someone else coming up with their own. I certainly won't cover all the characters.

Awakening: Captain Falcon explosively pumps himself up with excitement. No physical transformation has taken place, but he is stronger and faster and his A attacks are fire-enhanced and his dash now leave trails of flames.

Ultimate Jutsu: Gets into the Blue Falcon and drives it towards the victim. As soon as Blue Falcon hits the victim, Captain Falcon jumps out and gets behind the victim to Falcon Punch him. See this part of the video.

Ultimate Jutsu Finish Line(s):

"Only the Captain Falcon who surpasses Captain Falcon can become Captain Falcon." (Uh...)

"See you at the finish line."

To Samus: "You put up a great fight, but it looks like that bounty is about to be mine. YES!"

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Here is what I think we will see.
Roy: They can use Marth as a template, and work from there.
Young Link: All you need to do is shrink Link's sprite slightly, change the weight value, play with the damage output, create a new Neutral Special, and create 8 reskins........It's less work than starting from scratch at least.
Pichu: Like every character listed above, Pichu has a character to work off of. In this case it's Pikachu.
Wolf: There is no reason not to add him.
Ice Climbers: Considering how they rushed to add Bowser Jr., I don't think they would just say "oh well" and go on their merry way. The Ice Climbers were done on the Wii U before they got cut, so I'm sure they will find a way to add them in without changing them too much.
Characters that were far along in development before getting cut.
Here are Ballot characters I think we will see
King K. Rool
Bandana Dee
Isaac
Characters nobody expected

List of characters that wouldn't surprise me, but can't make either list because reasons.
Snake
Squritle
Ivysaur

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
As for the ballot question, I can see 9 DLC characters in total. 6 pre-determined DLC characters...

- Mewtwo
- Lucas
- Wolf
- Roy
- Ryu
- Another character we don't know about

As well as 3 ballot DLC characters

- K. Rool
- Isaac
- A heavily requested third party character
True. But I doubt we will get anymore 3rd party characters after Ryu. My guess is this:

:4mewtwo:
:4lucas:
:wolf:
:roypm:
(Ryu)
???
Ballot Character

Yeah, so it seems I was bored enough to give Super Smash Bros. characters a little bit of the the Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm treatment. I don't mind someone else coming up with their own. I certainly won't cover all the characters.

Awakening: Captain Falcon explosively pumps himself up with excitement. No physical transformation has taken place, but he is stronger and faster and his A attacks are fire-enhanced and his dash now leave trails of flames.

Ultimate Jutsu: Gets into the Blue Falcon and drives it towards the victim. As soon as Blue Falcon hits the victim, Captain Falcon jumps out and gets behind the victim to Falcon Punch him. See this part of the video.

Ultimate Jutsu Finish Line(s):

"Only the Captain Falcon who surpasses Captain Falcon can become Captain Falcon." (Uh...)

"See you at the finish line."

To Samus: "You put up a great fight, but it looks like that bounty is about to be mine. YES!"

I could give this a try.
:4sonic::
Awakening: Super Sonic
Ultimate: Light Speed Attack (kinda like Ranarok/:4greninja: but much brutal)

Victory Quotes
:4mario:: "Try again next time, Plumber Boy"
:4megaman::"Gotta step up your game next time, Rock."
:4falcon::"Still the Fastest, Cap"
:4drmario::4darkpit::4lucina::"Fakers. When will they learn"

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
Are there any STAGES people want . I came up with an idea for Temporal tower
:4mario:: Bowser Land from Super Mario 3D World, Glitz Pit or X-Naut Fortress from Paper Mario TTYD.
:4dk:: None I want.
:4yoshi:: Baby Bowser's castle.
:4wario2:: None I want.
:4link:: Deku Castle from Majora's Mask.
:4kirby:: Sky Sands from Kirby Air Ride.
:4pikachu:: Spear Pillar as a returning stage.
:4pit:: None I want.
:4marth:: None I want.
:4fox:: Aparoid City from Star Fox Assault.
:4littlemac:: The Statue of Liberty?
:4ness:: Fourside or New Pork City as a returning stage.
:4samus:: The second B.O.X Security Robot fight from Metroid Fusion.
:4falcon:: Big Blue as a returning stage.
:4wiifit:: No options here.
:4villager:: None I want.
:4shulk:: None I want.
:4gaw:: None I want.
:4duckhunt:: No options here.
:4rob:: Gyromite, that's really the only thing they could do.
:4mii:: Hobbyville from BattleGround Z.
:4sonic:: Stardust Speedway.
:4megaman:: Slash Man's stage.
:4pacman:: Pac-Maze on Wii U.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
:4mario:: Bowser Land from Super Mario 3D World, Glitz Pit or X-Naut Fortress from Paper Mario TTYD.
:4dk:: None I want.
:4yoshi:: Baby Bowser's castle.
:4wario2:: None I want.
:4link:: Deku Castle from Majora's Mask.
:4kirby:: Sky Sands from Kirby Air Ride.
:4pikachu:: Spear Pillar as a returning stage.
:4pit:: None I want.
:4marth:: None I want.
:4fox:: Aparoid City from Star Fox Assault.
:4littlemac:: The Statue of Liberty?
:4ness:: Fourside or New Pork City as a returning stage.
:4samus:: The second B.O.X Security Robot fight from Metroid Fusion.
:4falcon:: Big Blue as a returning stage.
:4wiifit:: No options here.
:4villager:: None I want.
:4shulk:: None I want.
:4gaw:: None I want.
:4duckhunt:: No options here.
:4rob:: Gyromite, that's really the only thing they could do.
:4mii:: Hobbyville from BattleGround Z.
:4sonic:: Stardust Speedway.
:4megaman:: Slash Man's stage.
:4pacman:: Pac-Maze on Wii U.
Also, don;t forget the theater from TTYD :)

it\s actually the Paper Mario one that people want the most :)

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
True. But I doubt we will get anymore 3rd party characters after Ryu. My guess is this:

:4mewtwo:
:4lucas:
:wolf:
:roypm:
(Ryu)
???
Ballot Character
Nah, were bound to at least get 9 DLC characters in total. Also, that would bring the roster total of 60 characters! I can't think of any game with that amount of playable characters.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Meowth is not a very requested character...
Duck Hunt Dog wasn't very requested either... and Wii Fit Trainer literally had zero (genuine, not troll) requests according to Sakurai.

The common arguments against Meowth are:
  • too many 1st gen reps (what's wrong with that? most, if not all, of the first 151 Pokemon are pretty damn iconic compared to the majority of other 500+ Pokemon)
  • too many Pokemon reps (oh, but if it is your favorite Pokemon (examples: Hawlucha, Sceptile, etc.) then it is suddenly not too many Pokemon, right?)
  • not unique enough (so come up with something to make it unique - at least I am making an effort)
  • does not have anything that writes a moveset (ignorance due to knowing Meowth only from the anime... Meowth as a species are capable of many moves in the games... Meowth in Smash could be a composite character, based on both anime and the games)
  • anime characters are prohibited (Meowth originated in games first :rolleyes:)
  • but I want Team Rocket Meowth and not a generic Meowth from the games so it will never happen (so because it is unpreceded, Team Rocket Meowth cannot set a precedent?)
  • we already have a Normal-type Pokemon so we shouldn't have another one! (says who?)
  • we are not going to have two different Pokemon of the same type in the same game (oh, because :4greninja: replaced :squirtle: right? :rolleyes: even though they aren't even similar to each other at all :facepalm:)
  • he is not requested enough (yay for circular logic... don't request Meowth > Meowth is not requested enough > don't request Meowth > ...)
I guarantee if Meowth is in a legit leak or Meowth is unexpectedly confirmed as a newcomer, many of you will be suddenly hyping for Meowth and saying you have always wanted Meowth all along, that you secretly wanted Meowth in Smash for years, that he really deserved to be in Smash since Smash 64, that it made too much sense to add Meowth in Smash, etc. Just like what's happened with :4duckhunt: in the ESRB leaks. :052:

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
There's also the fact that a lot of people just prefer most of those 500+ Pokémon over Meowth.

Not that I don't like Meowth, but there are about ten Pokémon I'd rather see before it, in all honesty.

Last edited:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Nah, were bound to at least get 9 DLC characters in total. Also, that would bring the roster total of 60 characters! I can't think of any game with that amount of playable characters.
Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 3 has 161 playable characters.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Duck Hunt Dog wasn't very requested either... and Wii Fit Trainer literally had zero (genuine, not troll) requests according to Sakurai.

The common arguments against Meowth are:
  • too many 1st gen reps (what's wrong with that? most, if not all, of the first 151 Pokemon are pretty damn iconic compared to the majority of other 500+ Pokemon)
  • too many Pokemon reps (oh, but if it is your favorite Pokemon (examples: Hawlucha, Sceptile, etc.) then it is suddenly not too many Pokemon, right?)
  • not unique enough (so come up with something to make it unique - at least I am making an effort)
  • does not have anything that writes a moveset (ignorance due to knowing Meowth only from the anime... Meowth as a species are capable of many moves in the games... Meowth in Smash could be a composite character, based on both anime and the games)
  • anime characters are prohibited (Meowth originated in games first :rolleyes:)
  • but I want Team Rocket Meowth and not a generic Meowth from the games so it will never happen (so because it is unpreceded, Team Rocket Meowth cannot set a precedent?)
  • we already have a Normal-type Pokemon so we shouldn't have another one! (says who?)
  • we are not going to have two different Pokemon of the same type in the same game (oh, because :4greninja: replaced :squirtle: right? :rolleyes: even though they aren't even similar to each other at all :facepalm:)
  • he is not requested enough (yay for circular logic... don't request Meowth > Meowth is not requested enough > don't request Meowth > ...)
I guarantee if Meowth is in a legit leak or Meowth is unexpectedly confirmed as a newcomer, many of you will be suddenly hyping for Meowth and saying you have always wanted Meowth all along, that you secretly wanted Meowth in Smash for years, that he really deserved to be in Smash since Smash 64, that it made too much sense to add Meowth in Smash, etc. Just like what's happened with :4duckhunt: in the ESRB leaks. :052:
Doesn't Pichu kinda destroy that second last argument?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom