• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Don't forget to look out for Sakurai retweeting the Direct!

I just rewatched/listened to the 50-Fact Extravaganza. It made me relive the hype of seeing Mewtwo getting brought in as DLC. I'm super happy about it again :150::mewtwopm::mewtwomelee::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
It's a good thing that's fake, because I really hate the idea of "Ice Climber". I'd rather see Popo/Nana just axed altogether than to see their uniqueness gutted.

It also at least gives them a chance to reappear in Smash 5 with their duo mechanic still intact. I don't see Pokemon Trainer ever being revisited, for example, with Charizard now being his own character slot.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
He doesn't specifically mention Mewtwo. My better judgement tells me not to make anything of that, but this is SmashBoards.

The last hope that Sakurai and Kojima worked out getting Snake back in before the issues with Konami popped up.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
He doesn't specifically mention Mewtwo. My better judgement tells me not to make anything of that, but this is SmashBoards.

The last hope that Sakurai and Kojima worked out getting Snake back in before the issues with Konami popped up.
Watch the certain fighter he's referring to the be Villager in the Mario Kart DLC.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Technically the Ice Climber would still be very unique in terms of appearance, being an ice climber with the ability to control ice is pretty standout.
Yes, but in terms of gameplay, their duo mechanic is what really made them stand out. I'd hate to see that tossed out possibly forever just for the sake of including them in the game.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I like this idea (and it supports Takamaru- because it should have been used for Link or Samus or Pit, and instead goes to Takamaru because only now have they gotten interesting with moves*)

Think- Turo from PSASBR.

*I often lament the ideas that characters did not received simply because they were added early on.
I guess that helps make them different, too. But... poor DK.
Something about Takamaru changing weapons with one of his specials?

Why not just incorporate his projectile attacks into his moveset to make him less of a swordfighter?
All of Takamaru's projectiles hurt him too.
Luckily, his sword has reflecting capabilities.

Kunai: Fast, low damage, affected by gravity (Heavier needle)
Pinwheel: Same as AT
Fireball: Very slow and very powerful.
Smoke Bomb: Very quick, small knockback.

NeutralB: Shogi Shuffle

Takamaru shuffles through his Shogi pieces.
Shuffling changes the trajectory of all projectiles in Takamaru's moveset.
Takamaru gains a bit of Super Armour when shuffling.

Rock: Projectiles go in all four directions.
Bishop: All projectiles fly to the left, right and ahead of Takamaru.
King: All projectiles go in a straight line.

NeutralB2: Shuffle Strike
Takamaru can use a quick, hard-hitting sword strike while shuffling, but the shuffling is slower

NeutralB3: Swift Shuffle
Takamaru shuffles faster, but the Super Armor is gone.

SideB: Pyrokinesis
This special changes every projectile of his moveset in a Fireball, dealing big knockback but traveling incredibly slow.
Watch out!

SideB2: Thunder Spell
Takamaru gives every projectile the ability to paralyze, but it lasts very short!

SideB3: Sharpest Blade
Every projectile deals more damage, but your attacks won't reflect them anymore!

UpB: Lightning Bomb
Takamaru shoots down a lightning bomb that makes a thunder bolt under him, shooting him up (Think Tornado Hold mixed with Elwind)

DownB: Invisibility Cloak
Takamaru becomes invisible for a short time, but he doesn't jump as high.
Can't attack or shuffle while invisible.

DownB2: Short-Time Cloak
The cloak lasts shorter, but your jump isn't limited.

DownB3: Cloak Counter
Attack while invisible!
This attack lasts the shortest, but you end with a strike!

Final Smash: Samurai Night
The screen turns dark and Takamaru throws out all of his arsenal (Kunai, Pinwheel, Inazuma Lightning, Fireballs).
Only the projectiles are visible, the rest is covered in the night.

LAIDO TIME!
Jab: Rapid Jab his AT does.
FTilt: Takamaru jumps up and throws pinwheels.
UTilt: Takes out the sword and points his sword in the air in front of him and sheats his sword. (Like that Link Taunt but better)
DTilt: Takes out his sword and pushes the side into the ground.
Dash Attack: Throws 3 Kunai up.

Nair: Takamaru throws 4 smoke bombs that surrounds opponents with smoke for a second. (King: Forward.)
Fair: Overhead slice
Bair: A quick strike with the side of the sword
UAir: Throws 4 Kunai (King throws them all upwards)
Dair: Sets his feet on lightning. No movement attached, so surprise opponents

FSmash: Summons three fireballs and strikes them with a sword. Both parts deal knockback
USmash: Throws four lightning bombs that paralyze opponents
DSmash: Basically a double Pika thunder on both sides.

Pummel: Throws tiny smoke bombs
FThrow: Dissapears quickly and then strikes with his sword
DThrow: Sets the ground on fire
UThrow: Throws the opponent up, jumps, and throws pinwheels
BThrow: Marth's Iaido Counter
I believe that @WeirdChillFever's moveset fulfills both of your needs: The weapon changing gimmick and having mostly projectiles in other moves.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Putting Sakurai's Instagram into Google Translate gets me this;
"Particular fighter, there is a possibility to make an appearance."
So he could be reffering to anybody. K.Rool, Mewtwo, Ridley, Wolf, anybody. And Sakurai always tends to be cryptic when mentioning unannounced media, so that only furthers the hype.

If it is Ridley, that'd be ****in' hilarious. :p

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Though K.Rool will probably will the title as 'most requested newcomer'
Eeeeh....I'm not too sure about that. Ridley is as well-liked in Japan as he is in the West, so he's about on par with K.Rool (and arguably more important to Nintendo's history, seeing as how he was likely conceptualized by Gunpei Yokoi).

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Eeeeh....I'm not too sure about that. Ridley is as well-liked in Japan as he is in the West, so he's about on par with K.Rool (and arguably more important to Nintendo's history, seeing as how he was likely conceptualized by Gunpei Yokoi).
Don't get me wrong, I prefer Ridley and know of his worldwide popularity, K.Rool is probably the more popular choice though. We'll see

Technically the Ice Climber would still be very unique in terms of appearance, being an ice climber with the ability to control ice is pretty standout.
But they lose everything that makes them. . .them. There's making changes to a character, like Bowser

and completely reworking a character. Splitting them up would do just that and basically turn off any fan. It's like how some say dorf isn't changed to annoy fans but infinitely worse.
Charizard is sort of a counterargument but ehhh.

Question: Who do you expect to see at the top of @ PushDustIn PushDustIn 's poll? Heard we'd get results tomorrow. I'm betting on K.Rool and Ridley being at the top newcomers personally
easily wolf and lucas

highest newcomer will almost certainly be K rool. then Im guessing either Ridley or Rayman. (I feel like im forgetting someone)
Putting Sakurai's Instagram into Google Translate gets me this;

So he could be reffering to anybody. K.Rool, Mewtwo, Ridley, Wolf, anybody. And Sakurai always tends to be cryptic when mentioning unannounced media, so that only furthers the hype.

If it is Ridley, that'd be ****in' hilarious. :p
literallyGraspingAtStraws_Bob'sBurgers.gif

dude if Google translate is your source you may want to rethink it.
Ridley has been deconfirmed. RIP :(

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
literallyGraspingAtStraws_Bob'sBurgers.gif

dude if Google translate is your source you may want to rethink it.
Ridley has been deconfirmed. RIP :(
You never know with Sakurai, though; I mean, look how many people thought Mewtwo was deconfirmed because of the trophies and look where we are now, nearing his release as a fighter. :p He could always use the more Gieger-esque Ridley as the playable one and the M:OM one as the stage boss; the one in Other M is a clone, so having a clone alongside the original is actually reasonable. I mean, Mew and Mewtwo appear beside each other all the time, so clones being alongside the original is always possible.

And calling it now, if it is Ridley that is revealed, the trailer will lampshade the hell out of the Ridley doubles. :p

As for using Google Translate, I was kind of hesitant to even use it, but decided just to try it to see if it was gibberish; had it been gibberish, I'd have just gone to a different translator immediately. But it was coherent, so I decided that it may have been accurate for once. Just to be safe, I just ran it through Babylon and got a similar result;
Certain fighters, might be to make Appearance ...
Running it through imtranslator gets me this;
Can certain fighter makes a appearance.
So the gist is the same; I assume the message really says either "Certain fighter(s?) make an appearance" or "Certain fighter(s?) might (be able to) make an appearance...". Either way, he seems to be teasing more than one fighter; every translation I've gotten is plural, not singular...so maybe the Direct will reveal more than just Mewtwo.

Last edited:
You never know with Sakurai, though; I mean, look how many people thought Mewtwo was deconfirmed because of the trophies and look where we are now, nearing his release as a fighter. :p He could always use the more Gieger-esque Ridley as the playable one and the M:OM one as the stage boss; the one in Other M is a clone, so having a clone alongside the original is actually reasonable. I mean, Mew and Mewtwo appear beside each other all the time, so clones being alongside the original is always possible.

And calling it now, if it is Ridley that is revealed, the trailer will lampshade the hell out of the Ridley doubles. :p

As for using Google Translate, I was kind of hesitant to even use it, but decided just to try it to see if it was gibberish; had it been gibberish, I'd have just gone to a different translator immediately. But it was coherent, so I decided that it may have been accurate for once. Just to be safe, I just ran it through Babylon and got a similar result;

Running it through imtranslator gets me this;

So the gist is the same; I assume the message really says either "Certain fighter(s?) make an appearance" or "Certain fighters might be (able) to make (an) appearance...". Either way, he seems to be teasing more than one fighter; every translation I've gotten is plural, not singular...so maybe the Direct will reveal more than just Mewtwo.
Whoever wrote the trophies (likely sakurai) states The clones as regular old Ridley. "long standing rival" first appearance Metroid.

Look I want Ridley too but he has absolutely no chance in Smash 4

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Whoever wrote the trophies (likely sakurai) states The clones as regular old Ridley. "long standing rival" first appearance Metroid.
The trophy descriptions is really vague, actually;
Samus's long-standing rival in battle. In this game, he's a common foe to all the fighters in the Pyrosphere stage. However, if you manage to launch him or knock him over, he'll become an ally to whoever dealt the last blow. Defeating him in a timed battle nets you +1 KO.
It doesn't even mention anything about his character, just gameplay mechanics. And, if we take a look at the trophies for Little Birdie and the Mystery Creature;
It may be hard to believe, but this is a younger version of the infamous Space Pirate Ridley. No matter how cute he is, don't think that you can love him and take him home--his next form is lizard-like with a sharp tail, and he has no problem turning his caring owner into a tasty snack!
What once was a cute little bird has changed into a lizard-like creature. It still has some white feathers from its previous form, but that's where the similarities end. Is there something in its blood that drives it to confront Samus whenever possible? Her parents were Ridley's victims, after all.
They are also quite vague, at least for the US releases...because the Europe release does specify which Ridley it is in the Mystery Creature trophy;
If Little Birdie is Ridley's cute baby years, this must be his awkward teenage phase. The feathers on his back are the only real clue that it's the same creature. Is there something in Ridley's genes that make him hate Samus so much? The original Ridley killed her parents, and now this one is out to get her too!
I'm not sure which is more accurate, though.

Look I want Ridley too but he has absolutely no chance in Smash 4
We also said that about Mewtwo, and look where we are now. :p
We can't predict Sakurai very well, so trying to play the "They'll never get in" card is as risky as playing the "This character is a shoe-in!" card; we don't know at this point, so saying anything untill we do know is sort of being triggerhappy. I'm waiting untill the Direct ends before giving judgement, since Sakurai's been pulling our leashes since the beginning. Hell, his comments may have intentionally been worded so as to make as much debate as possible just to make the reveal of him as DLC a shock among shocks; but we don't know, so I'm still holding my breath.

Won't stop me from fighting to the bitter end, though. ;p

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

It doesn't even mention anything about his character, just gameplay mechanics. And, if we take a look at the trophies for Little Birdie and the Mystery Creature;

They are also quite vague, at least for the US releases...because the Europe release does specify which Ridley it is in the Mystery Creature trophy;

We can't predict Sakurai very well, so trying to play the "They'll never get in" card is as risky as playing the "This character is a shoe-in!" card; we don't know at this point, so saying anything untill we do know is sort of being triggerhappy. I'm waiting untill the Direct ends before giving judgement, since Sakurai's been pulling our leashes since the beginning. Hell, his comments may have intentionally been worded so as to make as much debate as possible just to make the reveal of him as DLC a shock among shocks; but we don't know, so I'm still holding my breath.

If Ridley is announced in 24 hours I will bless you with a follow

clone Ridley hasn't been a "long-standing rival". that is extremely telling of who it is. that's why I quoted it from the description.

and mewtwo didnt have a pre-defined role as a boss and was easily the most expected character if DLC was a thing.
"It's not even comparable!"
-Xander Mobus

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Question: Who do you expect to see at the top of @ PushDustIn PushDustIn 's poll? Heard we'd get results tomorrow. I'm betting on K.Rool and Ridley being at the top newcomers personally
If you look at the sample he posted a few weeks ago, Rayman was topping K. Rool by a fair margin, and Banjo-Kazooie were a few votes ahead as well. I dunno whether or not more votes will change that around, but it's something to consider. And also more proof, if any were needed, that people bandwagon over literally whatever they see/saw as likely (in this case, an admittedly awesome character that received a quality render "leak").

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
If you look at the sample he posted a few weeks ago, Rayman was topping K. Rool by a fair margin, and Banjo-Kazooie were a few votes ahead as well. I dunno whether or not more votes will change that around, but it's something to consider. And also more proof, if any were needed, that people bandwagon over literally whatever they see/saw as likely (in this case, an admittedly awesome character that received a quality render "leak").
...Results were shown recently? Learn something new everyday

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
@BKupda666 I think I only posted that in Japanese ;) (Trying to get more Japanese votes)

I'll post the data tonight when I get home. However, I won't talk about it in depth until after the Mewtwo hype dies down. I have a good feeling they are going to start releasing download codes after the Direct.

Rayman is the most requested newcomer.
King K. Rool is 2nd, followed by Banjo Kazooie (close race).

Ice Climbers are the most requested vet.
Lucas, and Wolf follows.

EDIT: Forgot, characters who people have a high chance:

Lucas, Wolf (tied!)
Ice Climbers
Snake
Roy
(Other veterans)
Rayman
Dixie Kong was seen as more likely than King K. Rool
Isaac below him.

Last edited:
shout out to Omni for showing everyone the light.
ray hype

I do wonder how much lower IC's likelihood rating is. Going from top wanted to very low likelihood is sad. and logical

poor ridley not even mentioned

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Not to rain on anybody's parade, but seriously...don't start speculating anybody else showing up. As cool as that would be, I would absolutely NOT expect it.

You're setting yourself up for disappointment. Chances are its just Mewtwo. If we get a bonus character, good. But please, do yourselves favors and don't expect anybody else.

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
Not to rain on anybody's parade, but seriously...don't start speculating anybody else showing up. As cool as that would be, I would absolutely NOT expect it.

You're setting yourself up for disappointment. Chances are its just Mewtwo. If we get a bonus character, good. But please, do yourselves favors and don't expect anybody else.
There's a difference between speculating and expecting :p

I don't expect anybody else either, but it's fun to speculate beforehand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom