• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I like the idea that Takamaru switches between projectile weapons with his neutral-b, cycling through them in a manner similar to Shulk. His neutral moves would make use of his katana, throw in some kicks and elbows in there for good measure, Final Smash is either a storm of projectiles or a moonlight cut atop the roof of an ancient castle.

Kinda surprised there's no character in Smash that wields a katana. Considering how ubiquitous they are in vidya, and fighting games in particular, I'd have expected somebody to pop in with one by now.
Kirby tho

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I know what you mean but I'm talking about a realistic choice, considering how transforming characters have worked you're idea would be a Down B
This is not a transforming character.

A transforming character is a character whose entire moveset changes fundamentally when the transformation is initiated. Beyond that, their model, voice pack, character profile, taunts, victory animations, announcer cue and everything else about them changes.

This is a character who alters their specials in a minute manner by switching between projectiles. Down-b would probably work better in that sense, I agree, but to say it's a transforming character is to grossly misrepresent the actual nomenclature.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

A transforming character is a character whose entire moveset changes fundamentally when the transformation is initiated. Beyond that, their model, voice pack, character profile, taunts, victory animations, announcer cue and everything else about them changes.

This is a character who alters their specials in a minute manner by switching between projectiles. Down-b would probably work better in that sense, I agree, but to say it's a transforming character is to grossly misrepresent the actual nomenclature.
I used transforming characters as they use Down B to change moves, like Takamaru would here

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Transformation characters change characters with their down B, not simply a single move though.

This is basically a mix between Shulk's power-up change and Samus's missile or Dedede's variable projectile that used to be his side special.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
This situation is kinda like my moveset for Amaterasu. Her down special changes her weapon, and her neutral special changes with that weapon. I guess Kirby would just get Solar Flare (Because he totally needs a powerful counter) but maybe Kirby could copy whatever move is active at the moment. (Though I don't see this happening because Kirby can't copy customs.) Wait... If Amaterasu is a character that can actively change her playstyle, on a technical level, would she count as a transforming character? (I just confused myself.)

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I actually used the down b in a Paper Mario moveset I used to chnage the partner which only chnages a move.

Cause tbh, there's a big difference between spawning a complete character and spawning a different animation with the hitbox. I just don;t see why it's related to the 3ds stuff....the 3ds is loading whole characters which includes a lot of animation and data, but a move?

I don't think it should push it that hard....

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
@ aldelaro5 aldelaro5 In my Amaterasu moveset, her down b changes the weapon that she uses. This changes the range, damage, lag, and type of damage in most of her normal attacks depending on which one. It's not just for the neutral special.
Yeah I get it, but I just wanted to popint out that the thing I did received a lot of dissagreements because it would be too hard for the 3ds....I jsut don;t get it.

Because you is even less demanding. It's just changing animations and numbers....not much changes.

It's jsut that I think some people take the 3ds limitation a bit too seriously with how sakurai said it. yes, it is demanding to load a character with all stats, colission and all animation, but loading a small fraction isn't much....

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
OK. That makes sense.
As far as 3Ds limitations go I bet it could handle this. The change might not be instantaneous though.
But it wouldn't matter to anyone but me because there is little hope of Amaterasu being in the game in the first place. (Which is a shame)

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
That doesn't mean companies still can't approach others prior to putting themselves on the market to the highest bidder. That's what HAL did. Hudson too.
Assuming they aren't liquidating. Otherwise, that's called a preferential transfer and the asset (the IP) would be pulled into the bankruptcy estate.

Last edited:

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
I like the idea that Takamaru switches between projectile weapons with his neutral-b, cycling through them in a manner similar to Shulk. His neutral moves would make use of his katana, throw in some kicks and elbows in there for good measure, Final Smash is either a storm of projectiles or a moonlight cut atop the roof of an ancient castle.

Kinda surprised there's no character in Smash that wields a katana. Considering how ubiquitous they are in vidya, and fighting games in particular, I'd have expected somebody to pop in with one by now.
I think Pacman would be a more accurate comparison for a Neutral B. What with the Bonus Fruit having different trajectories and such.
As for a Final Smash:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Samus is better then Zero Suit Samus in every way when it comes to combat. Smash balances this because its Smash, but in Metroid, Zero Suit Samus is helpless in comparison to when she has the power suit.

For example, when she loses her power suit in Zero Mission, she has to sneak around, avoiding battles, armed with only a stun pistol (Which, in Metroid, is literally just a stun pistol, no kill power whatsoever), trying to regain her power suit so she can survive. And once she gets the power suit, she easily blasts through all the enemies she just snuck around.

Compared to Ganondorf/Ganon, both of whom have been shown to be nearly invincible to all things not blessed by some sort of deity.
That still seems different to me.
Samus not being as agile in suit, for one, and potentially less stealth without the suit.

That isn't an in game thing, I'd have to play it to personally figure it out- but to me it still is not the same thing as Ganon and Dorf, the former being a summoned form specifically for all power.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Samus not being as agile in suit, for one, and potentially less stealth without the suit.

That isn't an in game thing, I'd have to play it to personally figure it out- but to me it still is not the same thing as Ganon and Dorf, the former being a summoned form specifically for all power.
Uh, the suit actually enhances her agility in universe. Other M actually showed that for once too, Zamus isn't as agile in ZM

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970

Samus is less agile without her suit, it enhances her strength and speed.

Less stealthy is definitely true, but Smash Bros isn't exactly a stealth game.

And your description of Ganondorf and Ganon matches Samus and Zero Suit Samus as well. Zero Suit Samus equips the Power Suit for further power, there is never a point in any Metroid game where she has benefited from not having the Power Suit on.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Actually, Ganon is more often a transformation of Ganondorf himself instead of merely a form meant for all power. In A Link To The Past, Ganon's backstory is that he was originally Ganondorf, but became Ganon only when he gained access to the Sacred Realm (where the Triforce resided) and was turned into what became known as Ganon when he claimed the Triforce and took over the Sacred Realm, turning it into the Dark World. This presumably holds true for other 2D Zelda games, as well.

It's only in Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess that Ganon is a summoned form of Ganondorf meant for pure power.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Actually, Ganon is more often a transformation of Ganondorf himself instead of merely a form meant for all power. In A Link To The Past, Ganon's backstory is that he was originally Ganondorf, but became Ganon only when he gained access to the Sacred Realm (where the Triforce resided) and was turned into what became known as Ganon when he claimed the Triforce and took over the Sacred Realm, turning it into the Dark World. This presumably holds true for other 2D Zelda games, as well.

It's only in Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess that Ganon is a summoned form of Ganondorf meant for pure power.
To add onto this, after Ganondof took over the Sacred Realm and transformed it into the Dark World, the corruptive power reflected the true nature within a person's heart and turned them into an appropriate form. Ganondorf Dragmire became a ferocious and demonic boar because of his lust for power and savage nature, while Link (briefly) became a pink bunny because - well, he's a nice guy, I guess?

I think the same principle applies in Twilight Princess: Link, upon entering the Twilight Realm, is transformed into a wolf to reflect the courage and ferocity in his heart; Ganondorf becomes a boar, as he is wont to, but I don't think it's because of the Twilight Realm's power, but rather because of thematic reasons.

Ganondorf's spirit manifests the hatred of the Demon King Demise, and he's blessed with the Triforce of Power, so while his natural form is Ganondorf of the Gerudo, he can manifest the latent power within his soul in the form of Ganon.

It's not really intended specifically for power, as Dastardly says, it's moreso his true nature manifesting itself as a Hail Mary to defeat the heroes once and for all.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

I like this idea (and it supports Takamaru- because it should have been used for Link or Samus or Pit, and instead goes to Takamaru because only now have they gotten interesting with moves*)

Think- Turo from PSASBR.

*I often lament the ideas that characters did not received simply because they were added early on.
I guess that helps make them different, too. But... poor DK.

It's not really intended specifically for power, as Dastardly says, it's moreso his true nature manifesting itself as a Hail Mary to defeat the heroes once and for all.
Exactly- as a saving grace.
I guess that is what makes it different than me to the power suit; Samus doesn't benefit from being out of her suits in her games....

Ya know, I cant make an argument for a series I have barely touched; but my impression is as stands.

Last edited:

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger
Something about Takamaru changing weapons with one of his specials?

Why not just incorporate his projectile attacks into his moveset to make him less of a swordfighter?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Tomorrow is a Direct, leaks always appear at this time. I think it's legit, there is more, but my iPad won't allow me to copy paste it for some reason.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Wolf and solo Ice Climber? Okay, that's cool. Wonder who's the fourth DLC character...? Solo Chorus Kid Marshal? :troll:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Wolf and oddly the question mark appear to have shadows while Mewtwo and Popo don't.

Mewtwo is also obviously a shopped Little Mac.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom