• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If Capcom ever fully goes belly up Nintendo should snag Mega Man, Monster Hunter, Ace Attorney, and the Clover IPs. Sony can have Street Fighter, Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, and Dead Rising.

Microsoft gets nothing.

D

Deleted member

Nope.avi.

It may change soon or later, but as of now, looks like Ryu and co. don't have that much of a chance to be playable.
It may depend on the character/game, since it doesn't sound like he's saying "no fighting game characters period".
By what he's saying, even if a character is well-established as a fighter and has popularity, they still need to set themselves apart from the other combatants.

Using Ryu as an example, he is rather basic and offers nothing that hasn't been done already.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
If Capcom ever fully goes belly up Nintendo should snag Mega Man, Monster Hunter, Ace Attorney, and the Clover IPs. Sony can have Street Fighter, Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, and Dead Rising.

Microsoft gets nothing.
Meanwhile, Breath of Fire remains ignored, lost forever in the sands of time...

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Meanwhile, Breath of Fire remains ignored, lost forever in the sands of time...
I'd have listed it if I thought it would actually get another title (not counting nonsense iOS BoF).

Frankly even if someone else took control of that IP I'm not convinced they would do anything with it...

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I'd have listed it if I thought it would actually get another title (not counting nonsense iOS BoF).

Frankly even if someone else took control of that IP I'm not convinced they would do anything with it...
True, it does seems like it's just one of those IPs that no one really knows what to do with, and it'd probably remain dormant no matter what happens.

Having said that, maybe it could get a trophy in Smash if Nintendo got it, that'd still be a nice nod to it.

I'd say SE, but SE is **** recently
Yeah, I wouldn't expect better treatment from SE either, mostly because then it'd be fighting with at least two other much more popular RPGs for their attention.

Last edited:

RoseyBetch

Smash Journeyman
I really want Sonic to just become 2nd party so we can get Eggman/Robotnik in Smash (even though Bowser Jr. already took his gimmick).

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
I really want Sonic to just become 2nd party so we can get Eggman/Robotnik in Smash (even though Bowser Jr. already took his gimmick).
Dr.Eggman is the second Sonic character I want the most (even though I know a second Sonic character isn't likely, or necessary). I could see him use that mech he used in Sonic the Fighters.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Sega may be drowning but they're going to hold onto Sonic for dear life as long as they can.

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger
SEGA will continue to milk Sonic for as long as possible.

It's very unlikely that they'll ever give their most successful franchise to Nintendo, or any other developer.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
I can only really see Sega selling Sonic to Nintendo if they completely go bankrupt, and are forced to sell their IPs.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If it ever came to pass that Sega needed to sell itself off, I imagine they would choose Nintendo as their preferable buyer, as Sega IPs (well mostly Sonic - but then again Sega is mostly Sonic :laugh:) have done best on Nintendo systems, Wii U notwithstanding. The question would then be if Nintendo would be amenable to purchasing them, something Nintendo rarely does, and has never done with a company the size of Sega.

However Sega is still doing fine in Japan with their arcades and otherwise niche titles, so it's not a situation that would likely present itself unless things got much worse for them.

The sold Shenmue to Sony last year, didn't they?
I don't think so... do you have a source?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
If it ever came to pass that Sega needed to sell itself off, I imagine they would choose Nintendo as their preferable buyer, as Sega IPs (well mostly Sonic - but then again Sega is mostly Sonic :laugh:) have done best on Nintendo systems, Wii U notwithstanding. The question would then be if Nintendo would be amenable to purchasing them, something Nintendo rarely does, and has never done with a company the size of Sega.

However Sega is still doing fine in Japan with their arcades and otherwise niche titles, so it's not a situation that would likely present itself unless things got much worse for them.

D'oh, misunderstood the source, Sony wanted a Shenmue game, not buy the IP

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me

I dunno. Even if SEGA continues to fall downwards, there's still SEGA/Sammy Holdings to worry about, so it might still be a bad idea.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
SEGA's best bet at this point may be to sell off their big franchises, strip down to a smaller company, and focus on their Japanese niche fan base. Worldwide, large releases, like Sonic, is what's killing the company right now, they lose money every time they release one.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
SEGA's best bet at this point may be to sell off their big franchises, strip down to a smaller company, and focus on their Japanese niche fan base. Worldwide, large releases, like Sonic, is what's killing the company right now, they lose money every time they release one.
They might've lost money on the Wii U titles, but I think overall Sonic is still profitable for them. If he wasn't they'd ditch him. Typically (ie on a system with a decent install base) he's still moved at least a mil per title.

No, Omega stages will be banned as well, due to music licensing issues.
Except for the Mother ones.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Not sure about that. Sonic, even Boom was a complete flop (and rightfully so), is still their most profitable franchise.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
From a Sakurai point of view, Ryu would be one of the ones low on the list to put in Smash. But from a Capcom point of view, would they really allow any other character that isn't Mega Man to enter Smash before Ryu series-wise? I mean, I could see them allowing another Mega Man character, but with another series, would they let another character from a non-Street Fighter enter Smash before Ryu?
Sakurai refuced to include PAC-MAN in Brawl. So, he still has some control over roster choice. And why would they need another Capcom character anyway?
No, Omega stages will be banned as well, due to music licensing issues.
Aw...
But seriously, why are there any licensing issues with music from a game? Is it because of Sonic music or just 3rd party music?

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Sakurai refuced to include PAC-MAN in Brawl. So, he still has some control over roster choice. And why would they need another Capcom character anyway?
Sakurai didn't refuse of I recall. It was kinda like the Snake in Melee thing, Miyamoto wanted him in but it was too late. He also thought it would be impossible with how iconic he was.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
And why would they need another Capcom character anyway?
I thought we were speaking hypothetically? Like that "What-if" scenario? At least, I thought that's what we were doing in the first place?
And last time I checked, Sakurai didn't refuse Pac-Man for Brawl, but at the time, he didn't exactly know what to do for a moveset with Pac-Man. Or as the guy said above, it was probably too late.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Sakurai didn't refuse of I recall. It was kinda like the Snake in Melee thing, Miyamoto wanted him in but it was too late. He also thought it would be impossible with how iconic he was.
I thought we were speaking hypothetically? Like that "What-if" scenario? At least, I thought that's what we were doing in the first place?
And last time I checked, Sakurai didn't refuse Pac-Man for Brawl, but at the time, he didn't exactly know what to do for a moveset with Pac-Man. Or as the guy said above, it was probably too late.
Oh. Ok then.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Current response number for the Mega Smash Poll. Only a couple of days left.
English 2700 87.2%
Español 210 6.8%
Français 58 1.9%
日本語 96 3.1%
Português 32 1%
(Total 3,096 responses)

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Current response number for the Mega Smash Poll. Only a couple of days left.
English 2700 87.2%
Español 210 6.8%
Français 58 1.9%
日本語 96 3.1%
Português 32 1%
(Total 3,096 responses)
It would be nice if you could get quite a bit more japanese players votes. It is probably too hard to though.

Otherwise, wow. You managed to get a lot of responses.

Can't wait to see the final results. ~

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings

Once your at the point of liquidation, you don't care who would be the best fit but who would pay the most money. The bankruptcy courts will try to get the most money to pay off the unsecured creditors (though some will not be paid). If Activision will pay more for the Sonic IP, then they will get it. Given, the company will likely go through a reorganization first, so it may never come to this point.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Once your at the point of liquidation, you don't care who would be the best fit but who would pay the most money. The bankruptcy courts will try to get the most money to pay off the unsecured creditors (though some will not be paid). If Activision will pay more for the Sonic IP, then they will get it. Given, the company will likely go through a reorganization first, so it may never come to this point.
That doesn't mean companies still can't approach others prior to putting themselves on the market to the highest bidder. That's what HAL did. Hudson too.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Takamaru moveset
Jab: Instant multihit jab like MK
Ftilt: A diagonal slash
Utilt: Slashes upwards, kinda like Shulk but more horizontal range instead of vertical
Dtilt: Slashes at feet
Nair: Slashes quickly in front of himself and then behind himself
Fair: A single sword strike by thrusting the blade forward
Bair: Kicks backwards then slashes
Uair: Two rapid sword swings
Dair: Ike's Dair, spikes better
USmash: Swings sword in a 180 degree angle
FSmash: A jump slash
DSmash: Stabs quickly in front of himself and then swings his blade behind him
Pummel: Bashes with Katana hilt
Fthrow: Slashes in rapid succession
Uthrow: A bit like Ryuenjin from Zero in MvC
Bthrow: Jumps in front of foe and slashes
Dthrow: Throws a few fireballs on foe
B: Pinwheel attack, shoots out a projectile not unlike the Metal Blade, faster at the cost of less directions, customs are Shogi pieces, more at a time but weaker
Side B: Shuriken, throws out a shuriken that has little lag, has to take a few seconds to recharge though
Up B: Flies on a hawk like Beat, but faster
Down B: Invisibility Cloak. only Takamaru's shadow is visible, can be used for trickery
Final Smash: Inazuma Lighting, summons a lot of lightning bolts like the final part of Pit's final smash, only Takamaru can still move around and attack freely
Taunt: Holds a battle stance
Taunt: Juggles some Shogi pieces
Taunt: Sword catches lightning while Takamaru poses

Takamaru moveset
Jab: Instant multihit jab like MK
Ftilt: A diagonal slash
Utilt: Slashes upwards, kinda like Shulk but more horizontal range instead of vertical
Dtilt: Slashes at feet
Nair: Slashes quickly in front of himself and then behind himself
Fair: A single sword strike by thrusting the blade forward
Bair: Kicks backwards then slashes
Uair: Two rapid sword swings
Dair: Ike's Dair, spikes better
USmash: Swings sword in a 180 degree angle
FSmash: A jump slash
DSmash: Stabs quickly in front of himself and then swings his blade behind him
Pummel: Bashes with Katana hilt
Fthrow: Slashes in rapid succession
Uthrow: A bit like Ryuenjin from Zero in MvC
Bthrow: Jumps in front of foe and slashes
Dthrow: Throws a few fireballs on foe
B: Pinwheel attack, shoots out a projectile not unlike the Metal Blade, faster at the cost of less directions, customs are Shogi pieces, more at a time but weaker
Side B: Shuriken, throws out a shuriken that has little lag, has to take a few seconds to recharge though
Up B: Flies on a hawk like Beat, but faster
Down B: Invisibility Cloak. only Takamaru's shadow is visible, can be used for trickery
Final Smash: Inazuma Lighting, summons a lot of lightning bolts like the final part of Pit's final smash, only Takamaru can still move around and attack freely
Taunt: Holds a battle stance
Taunt: Juggles some Shogi pieces
Taunt: Sword catches lightning while Takamaru poses
did you mean to post that here ryuga?

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I like the idea that Takamaru switches between projectile weapons with his neutral-b, cycling through them in a manner similar to Shulk. His neutral moves would make use of his katana, throw in some kicks and elbows in there for good measure, Final Smash is either a storm of projectiles or a moonlight cut atop the roof of an ancient castle.

Kinda surprised there's no character in Smash that wields a katana. Considering how ubiquitous they are in vidya, and fighting games in particular, I'd have expected somebody to pop in with one by now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom