• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
For the record, if (Captain) Toad becomes playable in a future game they could easily replace Peach's Toad with Toadsworth or Toadette.

As for the codec - I'm with the error handler crowd. Best practices say that it's best to include a safe option for any selectable variable - it's why glitching to the stage select screen in Melee without choosing a character gives you Master Hand. If you somehow activated Palutena's Guidance against an invalid or unrecognized character, it needs to load something. They could have just loaded Mario's codec or something, but instead they went ahead and recorded a short codec.

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
For the record, if (Captain) Toad becomes playable in a future game they could easily replace Peach's Toad with Toadsworth or Toadette.

As for the codec - I'm with the error handler crowd. Best practices say that it's best to include a safe option for any selectable variable - it's why glitching to the stage select screen in Melee without choosing a character gives you Master Hand. If you somehow activated Palutena's Guidance against an invalid or unrecognized character, it needs to load something. They could have just loaded Mario's codec or something, but instead they went ahead and recorded a short codec.
I guess Sakarui Senpai was expecting some kind of mod group to make another project M out of Smash 4

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Hmm. AEM, may I ask your opinion on the chances of Captain Toad as a DLC fighter? All DLC characters are admittedly slim, but with Toad as part of Peach's moveset, do you think it's a dealbreaker?
I don't know why my opinion matters, but since his only role is being part of the Toad Brigade trophy (which doesn't alter the game in anyway) he should be a viable candidate for DLC.
Iunno if that'd happen or not because of the insane amount of Marios in the game already, but it's definitely possible.

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
Would anyone else love to see a Pokemon Mystery Dungeon rep? Like Grovyle using Seeds and Orbs and such, and stopping time for his Final Smash.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Would anyone else love to see a Pokemon Mystery Dungeon rep? Like Grovyle using Seeds and Orbs and such, and stopping time for his Final Smash.
Well...yes and no. I'm fine with new characters sure and glad to see what they will bring, but I wouldn't exactly be thrilled about another starter pokemon. Even based on Mystery dungeon.

As for stopping time. That doesn't really make much sense. He stopped time because he removed the time gears from certain locations. Which is impossible on stages completely unrelated to Mystery Dungeon.

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
Mystery Dungeon Grovyle>Sceptile any day. Though I would not have his entire special moveset revolve around items: gotta slip some moves in there too.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
What happened to Chrom was probably one of the most surprising moments during Sm4sh's development. I remember so many people banking on him being the next FE character.
I think we were far too hasty in proclaiming him to be a shoo-in without looking into other possibilities. Chrom's "shoo-in" status was one of the speculation community's greatest failures; one that I hope we can learn from and do better next time (probably not going to happen, though).

Last edited:

Steamblown

Smash Rookie
What are some characters not dependent on grabs? I can NEVER grab the foe so when I try to do so, I always miss and get punished...

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
The speculation community is a failure.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
The speculation community is a failure.
In a sense, it is a failure. To its credit, we did manage to get a number of things right: Little Mac, Palutena, Pac-Man, and arguably Mewtwo. Though in the end, we ended up being wrong more than we were right. Furthermore, we were wrong on matters that were almost unquestioned at the time, and the community as a whole suffered as a result (Gematsu leak, Chrom, Chorus Men, and arguably Mewtwo). I think many of us were too rigid in our thinking and refused to stray from our preconceived ideas of what the roster would look like, and attempted to force those ideas onto others. So yes, in that sense, it is a failure.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
In a sense, it is a failure. To its credit, we did manage to get a number of things right: Little Mac, Palutena, Pac-Man, and arguably Mewtwo. Though in the end, we ended up being wrong more than we were right. Furthermore, we were wrong on matters that were almost unquestioned at the time, and the community as a whole suffered as a result (Gematsu leak, Chrom, Chorus Men, and arguably Mewtwo). I think many of us were too rigid in our thinking and refused to stray from our preconceived ideas of what the roster would look like, and attempted to force those ideas onto others. So yes, in that sense, it is a failure.
Don't forget the Hype Three: King K. Rool and Ridley... and the most likely retro newcomer Takamaru... and how character cuts were not happening... and how we were not getting any more Mario characters because 4 is all we supposedly need...

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
I think the very act of trying to speculate Smash rosters is a futile effort. It's fun, sure, but trying to take it as a serious matter of honor is just setting yourself up for disappointment.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
I think its for people who don't own the DLC characters, if you don't own Mewtwo,but your friend does and you trigger the codec, you get that message.
I've heard that around a lot, but it really just doesn't make sense to me. Why record something extra when you can just update the game, like when you add the character's data to begin with?

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Don't forget the Hype Three: King K. Rool and Ridley... and the most likely retro newcomer Takamaru... and how character cuts were not happening... and how we were not getting any more Mario characters because 4 is all we supposedly need...
You're saying it as though all those scenarios are bad...

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think the very act of trying to speculate Smash rosters is a futile effort. It's fun, sure, but trying to take it as a serious matter of honor is just setting yourself up for disappointment.
Most people who treat it as a matter of honor brush it under the carpet when they're wrong anyway.

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
If you wanna do something productive, campaigning and getting the word out about your most wanted characters is the best way to do it. Don't let people tell you the character's not going to happen - fan demand is probably the #1 factor for characters getting in. I know I mentioned Wonder-Red on all 4 of my Club Nintendo surveys, and I plan to bring him up wherever possible here too.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I don't really do campaigns anymore.

There have been so many of them for many newcomers, yet I've seen very few make an impact because no one is willing to do something like that (Especially for characters who are obscure), K. Rool is like the only notable one, but it's only reached the first step.

Last edited:

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
Who needs campaigns? A bunch of individuals, expressing their desire for a character at every opportunity, does just as well.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
If you wanna do something productive, campaigning and getting the word out about your most wanted characters is the best way to do it. Don't let people tell you the character's not going to happen - fan demand is probably the #1 factor for characters getting in. I know I mentioned Wonder-Red on all 4 of my Club Nintendo surveys, and I plan to bring him up wherever possible here too.
But then some asshole naysayers will call you a dreamer or whiner for not being satisfied with the game.
I would love to do this, and I love creating movesets, palettes, but I don't know, it just doesn't seem worth it anymore.

What surveys, by the way?

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Who needs campaigns? A bunch of individuals, expressing their desire for a character at every opportunity, does just as well.
In as much as doing absolutely nothing?

Call me a naysayer, negative, cynical or whatever, but that's my stance on it.

I don't think we can use pester power to get what we want. At least not with Sakurai. Otherwise we'd have Ridley, Geno, Krystal etc in by now just off the back of Brawl's popular nominations.

Nintendo may be more open to community suggestions as a whole(see Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker or Operation Rainfall for success stories) but for every success story there's a failure(F-Zero revival, Mother 3 brought to the western world).

When there's a sea of campaigns, and people expressing their own individual wants on message boards such as this, Miiverse, Club Nintendo surveys, etc, there's a million hands trying to steer Sakurai's attention to various characters all at the same time.

Rather than go insane from trying to listen to every single person's suggestion, or even try to gather an average of what fans want from all that data, I imagine most people would just ignore most, if not all of these suggestions rather than shift through everyone's ideal lists like they're Santa Claus.

The only way I could see it working is if Nintendo's higher ups insist on this character or that to be included, but even then we could be looking at another seven years before the next Smash which is a lot of time for opinions to change both within the fanbase and Nintendo itself on whom is important to include.

By all means campaign or survey away, but I feel like it's throwing a message in a bottle into a sea of messages in bottles.

Last edited:

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
True enough, but it's better than having embarrassing speculation slapfights.

Strofirko

Smash Master
People dreams too much,and does too little,that's my opinion...
If someone wants a character he needs to build a road to that,rather than create imaginary settings...

MrSmashFour

Smash Journeyman

My current (and very small) DLC wishlist! So! This is my FIRST custom roster! :D I would appreciate any feedback or thoughts on it.

I can tell that Toon Zelda and Toon Ganondorf will be a subject, so I'll go ahead and explain. Basically, as a Toon Link main I always found it weird I was the only cartoonish one. And I thought it would be cool to at least get one other Toon character, I thought it may as well be the villain. And hey, since this is a WISH list (not prediction) why not Zelda? Also, I thought Young Link would be nice to go with the upcoming Majora's Mask 3D release. But, you know... 3 Links and 8 Zelda characters in total wouldn't be the best idea...

Edit:Appears the image doesn't show up, here's the link: http://prntscr.com/5hvy7f :)

Last edited:

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
As a Ganon main, I wouldn't mind Toon Ganondorf as a clone of my favorite clone. A new moveset would be nice too, of course.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
There's a lot of told-you-so syndrome in Smash speculation when there's no need for it, and when the things people claim they foresaw happening were based on no evidence whatsoever, just gut feelings or wishful thinking. As fate would have it, Sakurai sided with some of the random feelings and not with some of the more backed-up others.

Barring just throwing darts at a board, the most we'll ever have to go off of is what's said in interviews, and compared to Brawl, where the criteria was pretty straightforward, it's now convoluted to the point where we're very much in the dark. Granted, considering it seems Sakurai throws darts at a board a lot of the time anyway, maybe that's where we'll start getting more things right in the future.

Last edited:

WolfieXVII ❂

stay woke
NNID
tresxvii
3DS FC
4699-5598-8215

My current (and very small) DLC wishlist! So! This is my FIRST custom roster! :D I would appreciate any feedback or thoughts on it.

I can tell that Toon Zelda and Toon Ganondorf will be a subject, so I'll go ahead and explain. Basically, as a Toon Link main I always found it weird I was the only cartoonish one. And I thought it would be cool to at least get one other Toon character, I thought it may as well be the villain. And hey, since this is a WISH list (not prediction) why not Zelda? Also, I thought Young Link would be nice to go with the upcoming Majora's Mask 3D release. But, you know... 3 Links and 8 Zelda characters in total wouldn't be the best idea...

Edit:Appears the image doesn't show up, here's the link: http://prntscr.com/5hvy7f :)
Was about to rant, until I saw that it was a wishlist. :teeth:

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger
If there's one thing good that comes out of speculating, it's the ideas for movesets and playstyles of new characters. It's one, if not the biggest reason why I find myself lurking in the Character Discussion board.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442

I would post my wishlist, but, well...
I carry it around in my signature! :4dedede:

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
If there's one thing good that comes out of speculating, it's the ideas for movesets and playstyles of new characters. It's one, if not the biggest reason why I find myself lurking in the Character Discussion board.
This is absolutely one of my main reasons of sticking around here.
I've always wanted to do a Smash fangame, and if I ever build up the motivation, it will be because of this board that I put in characters like Pious Augustus and Slippy.

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
I know this might be a good or bad idea butt....

Who wants to post their DLC wishlists and then have a big slap fight over it? Surely it will be the most sane of Smash Brothers discussions you ever did see on a Smash Thread :3

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
Mine will be unreasonably huge but lol why not. Gimme a bit to make the thing.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
This is absolutely one of my main reasons of sticking around here.
I've always wanted to do a Smash fangame, and if I ever build up the motivation, it will be because of this board that I put in characters like Pious Augustus and Slippy.
The problem I see with an elaborate fangame is that if it is just trying to be the ideal Smash game, it will feel like wasted talent.
Or perhaps a good first project to prove a group's talent? I'm not sure.

Either way, I would feel uncomfortable making a dream Smash Brothers game...I would prefer to create Smash gamer with some sort of gimmick, like only Disney characters for example, than try to make something that serves to show Sakurai and his team up.

Or just make an original game with a similar feel to Smash.

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
The problem I see with an elaborate fangame is that if it is just trying to be the ideal Smash game, it will feel like wasted talent.
Or perhaps a good first project to prove a group's talent? I'm not sure.

Either way, I would feel uncomfortable making a dream Smash Brothers game...I would prefer to create Smash gamer with some sort of gimmick, like only Disney characters for example, than try to make something that serves to show Sakurai and his team up.

Or just make an original game with a similar feel to Smash.
Being unbound by copyright can be an interesting gimmick. The big two Smash fangames both have something to set them apart in that respect - Crusade has an "everything but the kitchen sink" approach to roster picking, and Flash 2 has heavy cues from Project M in the newest version and a tasteful selection of anime characters (even if they don't include Kenshiro and Jotaro).

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Being unbound by copyright can be an interesting gimmick. The big two Smash fangames both have something to set them apart in that respect - Crusade has an "everything but the kitchen sink" approach to roster picking, and Flash 2 has heavy cues from Project M in the newest version and a tasteful selection of anime characters (even if they don't include Kenshiro and Jotaro).
That's what I mean, the two biggest Smash fangames either have a plethora of third parties (Smash Flash 2) or have a ridiculous amount of characters (Smash Bros. Crusade, which also has a plethora of third-parties) and both have Goku which would never happen.
Not to mention Project M is technically a fangame, but it's a mod of an existing game so it generates interest more. Also there's the Smash Bros. game styled after the Game Boy.
If we tried to make something that was just real Smash but with a few different characters and sprites, nobody would care. It would need some sort of gimmick to be worth playing, especially now that there is competition.
I've talked about it before, but one featuring solely Third-party video game characters, or one featuring only Disney characters would be appropriately interesting.

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
Mine will be unreasonably huge but lol why not. Gimme a bit to make the thing.
I'll go ahead and post mine.

Impa - Hyrule Warriors (New)

Dark Samus - Metroid (AT -> New)

Lyndis - Fire Emblem (AT -> New)

Inkling - Splatoon (New)

Roy - Fire Emblem (Vet)

Snake - MGS (Vet)

Wolf - Star Fox (Vet)

And I think thats everything...I might be forgetting a few here and there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom