• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
I wonder if they'll still have enough money to make more sick CGI trailers for DLC....Who am I kiddin? They made so much money that they could make an army of cgi trailers :3

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

TLDR: I learned a lot.

What about all of you?
Rate their chances hooked me back after 11 years away. A simple format that allowed us to discuss who we were hoping for and share how likely we found them to be. It was actually enjoyable to share opinions, contrast and compare.

It was enjoyable to see support for characters I supported, and interesting to see why others did not.

Also I would never have even thought of Duck Hunt prior to returning here, which made me seriously consider just how good that dog would be as a playable character. One of the few characters I supported and got in(the others being Pac-Man and incredibly the Koopalings, who although I liked, never thought for a second they'd actually be included).

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
So, why don't we discuss what brought us together in the first place - the positive aspects of the character discussion threads. Yes, they may be few and far in between for some of us, and yes, it would take much less effort to list off the embarrassments (the humbling experience of Robin's reveal and especially the ESRB leak; the hype-train derailment of October 2013 and #MonadoMonday; any Ridley-related event; Tower of Smash/Wii U exclusive characters; etc.)... yet through all of this, what brings us all back to speculation?

In my case, it's because it instigated within me a vast amount of invaluable knowledge I would have otherwise never known, and it goes beyond acknowledgement of obscure characters or series. Before I joined the community a year-and-a-half ago, I was a semi-casual, low-level Smash scrub (and I don't use these terms derogatorily, but rather in-disclosure). I actually thought Lucario actively replaced Mewtwo in Brawl, that characters were selected by solely by series representation, and that Captain Falcon was a low-priority character on the roster who could get cut. It isn't easy to admit my lack of awareness, but I was that uninformed for somebody who played through 64, Melee, and Brawl.

When I joined the speculation community, specifically for playable character predictions, I did it because I wanted this exclusive inside-knowledge of the inner workings of Smash Brothers. It was all vanity, a presumptuous arrogance. I analyzed all the pointless intellectual guesswork of which characters were deemed "likely" and which were "unlikely", and it was thoughtlessly stupid. Just to score imaginary points in a game of patting myself on the back, simply because of my lack of knowledge. But then there was a moment of much-needed clarification for me.

After learning the basics of Smash's development history, I joined the support threads for Robin and King K. Rool. Afterwards, I suddenly realized the error of my foolish ways - I should support characters because I want them, not because I expect them, especially through the lens of both a play-style perspective and from legitimate admiration of the character.

In reference to Robin, it was originally a small fan-base under the radar, sort of like pre-reveal Rosalina, since it was common for Chrom and Roy to be considered the top Fire Emblem prospects. Yet the whole concept of fitting into this "sword-wielding, main character lord" pattern didn't matter to them. What mattered was not only supporting a character they actually wanted (not to say Chrom didn't have these fans, as well), but also a character with unique move-set potential and play-styles. I thought to myself, "Why don't I attempt to do some investigative research into what a character can bring to the table, and how it would affect the overall balance of the meta-game?" rather than pick-and-choose character based on likeliness. So I invested myself towards the competitive discussions of these characters, such as fighting styles, weight classes, approach options, defensive capabilities, and what would differentiate similar attack-based mechanisms from one another between similar characters. I always liked Robin before, but now my belief was solidified - he was the most viable option between Fire Emblem characters, whether or not he was likely.

As for what I gained from the K. Rool support thread, it was the pragmatic OP's no-nonsense, tell-it-like-it-is approach to speculation in general that convinced me to learn my lessons in modesty and moderation. None of this hopping aboard a bandwagon, or keeping order over the number of series icons on a roster selection screen, or giving in to the obsessional tear-licking of disappointed fan-bases (which I now find the bane of Smash's existence). Just be sincere within the support of your favorite characters, and within reason. I don't always agree with what he says or how he says it (since it can be rather brash), but nonetheless I have grown a tremendous respect for not only the OP, but also the decade-and-a-half long support of a potentially unique fighter, through the means of genuine appreciation. Even if K. Rool isn't playable in Smash Brothers, my appreciation of the character is still long-lasting.

Despite all its glaring flaws, ignition of flame wars, and problematic shortcomings and near-nearsightedness, I owe the speculation community the entirely valuable knowledge I acquired over the course of a year, to which not only affects me in this website but also in real life. I overcame my worst character flaw, which was overly-excessive narcissism. Now, thanks to this community, I am down-to-earth in my humbleness, willing to admit to my mistakes when I make them, and ready to apply my new-found knowledge towards bettering myself in the competitive scene. If I am going to support a character, I will do so in the same sense Scoliosis Jones supports his favorite characters.

TLDR: I learned a lot.

What about all of you?
I agree to all of this, if there is one lesson I have not learned from this forum, it's the patience to write this much content. Fabulous!

Came into speculation with the only wish of one new Mario character.
Came into speculation with the only wish of one new Zelda character.
:urg:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I was just a speculation newbie when I first joined Smashboards, I don't think I would've enjoyed speculation as much if weren't for @GoldenYuiitusin and some true Smash fans who know about a majority of the Nintendo franchises.
Yeah, the group that was here a year ago single-handedly convinced me to join...even if speculation was still a big deal, it wouldn't be the same.
I miss @Louie G. ...

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
You know, I kinda missed the Ridley disconfirmed era of these boards. What was the general closure on that? Acceptance?

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I don't know what happened with all the other guys, like:
@lonekonwolf , @Toxicroaker , @Louie G. , @SaturnGamer64 , @ ????????????? ????????????? , @Hotfeet444 , @andimidna , @Groose , @ SchAlternate SchAlternate , @SuperBrawler , @ KingofPhantoms KingofPhantoms and a lot of other users with different names now, like BigAxle.

:(

Meh...and I really miss Rate Their Chances, we definitively need RTC DLC Edition.

I lot of those guys are still here, they just sort of do their own thing now, or lurk.
I miss the whole group being together though.

Still, Louie G.'s been gone for a long time, and uh, well...we know what happened to Saturn...

Last edited:

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
@lonekonwolf , @Toxicroaker , @Louie G. , @SaturnGamer64 , @ ????????????? ????????????? , @Hotfeet444 , @andimidna , @Groose , @ SchAlternate SchAlternate , @SuperBrawler , @ KingofPhantoms KingofPhantoms and a lot of other users with different names now, like BigAxle.

Meh...and I really miss Rate Their Chances, we definitively need RTC DLC Edition.

I'd be down for a new RTC on the thread. We could also have one for AT characters becoming playable for shenanigans sake.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
I lot of those guys are still here, they just sort of do their own thing now, or lurk.
I miss the whole group being together though.

Still, Louie G.'s been gone for a long time, and uh, well...we know what happened to Saturn...
Yeah, some of them are in the Leaks Group talking about Amiibos and some of them are just in the Ridley Private Group (I'm not a member and I don't know why XD) and I can't talk/discuss with them.
I don't know what happened to Saturn ._.
I know that lonekonwolf had an accident with his leg or something, but that was months ago, poor guy, he was one of the best Bandana Dee supporters.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Yeah, some of them are in the Leaks Group talking about Amiibos and some of them are just in the Ridley Private Group (I'm not a member and I don't know why XD) and I can't talk/discuss with them.
I don't know what happened to Saturn ._.
I know that lonekonwolf had an accident with his leg or something, but that was months ago, poor guy, he was one of the best Bandana Dee supporters.
Saturn got banned from the character forums.
I know this is technically off-topic, but I honestly can't think of anything worth discussing regarding DLC anyway.

Sausage Zeldas

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sanics
3DS FC
2509-2629-0987
I joined this place to make a comment about ZSS's boobs. Go figure.

But it was the speculation shenanigans that made me stay, no matter whether people were making interesting points about series that I hadn't noticed before, or just talking in circles while a bunch of people just hung onto the ride.

Last edited:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Saturn got banned from the character forums.
I know this is technically off-topic, but I honestly can't think of anything worth discussing regarding DLC anyway.
Oh...so it finally happened XDD
I will still miss Saturn flamewars for some reason.

And yeah, we are off-topic XD
So...who wants to discuss about K.Rool/Dixie's chances?

Last edited:

Freduardo

Smash Champion
DLC Wishlist time:

DLC Pack 1: Bounty Hunter Rivals.
Wolf
Weavel (Hey, he's who I played in Hunter. He's the former space pirate. And this is my wish list)
Panther Caruso (I realize that Leon is typically Falco's rival. But, Panther was hilarious in Command and had the best ship)
Pico

Blood Falcon skin for Captain Falcon. Black Shadow Skin for Ganondorf. James McCloud skin for Fox. Dark Samus skin for Samus. Leon skin for Falco (hey, he got in there!)
Bonus Retro Boss Mode: Ridley

DLC Pack 2: Not. Enough. Mario.
(Also DLC Pack 3: Never. Enough.)
Fawful
Geno
Kamek
Captain Syrup
Dimentio
Captain Toad (Toadette Skin)
King. K. Rool
Dixie Kong

Dr. Luigi Skin for Luigi. Daisy Skin for Peach. Mr. L Costume fro Luigi. Boshi skin for Yoshi. Referee Mario outfit for Mario. Alternate colors for Bowser Jr.'s Skins. Alternate skin for Bowser Jr.: Lakitu (makes the clown car look like a cloud)
Bonus Boss Mode: Vs. Giga Cat Bowser W/a double cherry.
Bonus Boss Fight: Raphael Raven
Bonus Boss Fight: Evil Oil Drum from DKC

DLC Pack 4: Hyrule Historia
Vaati
Impa (Hyrule Warriors)
Tetra
Byrne
More alternate costumes for Link including a Ravio skin. A full Hilda Skin for Zelda. Ganondorf costume for Ocarina of Time. Ganondorf costume for Hyrule Warriors. Toon Link alternate outfits.

DLC Pack 5: Pokemon, are you kidding we're not done yet?
Pichu
Meowth
Zoroark
Gengar
Evolution skins for Pikachu and Jigglypuff. Charizard X skin with alt final smash for Charizard. Add 20 new possible pokemon from poke balls.
Bonus Retro Boss mode: Raquaza.
Bonus Boss mode: Regigigas.

DLC Pack 6: Retroactively supporting the retro guys.
Doc Louis
Ice Climbers
Nester
Mike Jones
Jump Man skin for Mario, Mike Tyson skin for Doc Louis... or Mr. Sandman
Bonus Retro Boss: Tabuu

DLC Pack 7: We'd be done by now, but Sakurai Bias said to keep going.
Bandana Dee
Medusa
Magalor
Pyron
Pandora skin for Palutena, Warrior of Light Skin for Pit, Warrior of Dark skin for Dark Pit.
Bonus Boss Battle: Hades

DLC Pack 8: Oh, Mother, there's more?!?
Lucas
Flying Man
3rd Party Rep: Crono.
Bonus Boss Battle: Gigyas
Bonus Retro Boss: Porky
Ninten skin for Ness, Paula skin for Ness, Pu Skin for Ness, Masked Man skin for Lucas, Klaus skin for Lucas, Ness' (Or Lucas') dog skin for Duck Hunt... With Flying Man Looking Duck.

Yeah, okay, if I got all this, I don't know what I'd wish for anymore.

?????????????

Smash Master
Came into speculation one year after Brawl was released. Started up an entire YouTube channel for it and everything.

Didn't join this site until, like, last year, though.

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
DLC Wishlist time:

DLC Pack 1: Bounty Hunter Rivals.
Wolf
Weavel (Hey, he's who I played in Hunter. He's the former space pirate. And this is my wish list)
Panther Caruso (I realize that Leon is typically Falco's rival. But, Panther was hilarious in Command and had the best ship)
Pico

Blood Falcon skin for Captain Falcon. Black Shadow Skin for Ganondorf. James McCloud skin for Fox. Dark Samus skin for Samus. Leon skin for Falco (hey, he got in there!)
Bonus Retro Boss Mode: Ridley

DLC Pack 2: Not. Enough. Mario.
(Also DLC Pack 3: Never. Enough.)
Fawful
Geno
Kamek
Captain Syrup
Dimentio
Captain Toad (Toadette Skin)
King. K. Rool
Dixie Kong

Dr. Luigi Skin for Luigi. Daisy Skin for Peach. Mr. L Costume fro Luigi. Boshi skin for Yoshi. Referee Mario outfit for Mario. Alternate colors for Bowser Jr.'s Skins. Alternate skin for Bowser Jr.: Lakitu (makes the clown car look like a cloud)
Bonus Boss Mode: Vs. Giga Cat Bowser W/a double cherry.
Bonus Boss Fight: Raphael Raven
Bonus Boss Fight: Evil Oil Drum from DKC

DLC Pack 4: Hyrule Historia
Vaati
Impa (Hyrule Warriors)
Tetra
Byrne
More alternate costumes for Link including a Ravio skin. A full Hilda Skin for Zelda. Ganondorf costume for Ocarina of Time. Ganondorf costume for Hyrule Warriors. Toon Link alternate outfits.

DLC Pack 5: Pokemon, are you kidding we're not done yet?
Pichu
Meowth
Zoroark
Gengar
Evolution skins for Pikachu and Jigglypuff. Charizard X skin with alt final smash for Charizard. Add 20 new possible pokemon from poke balls.
Bonus Retro Boss mode: Raquaza.
Bonus Boss mode: Regigigas.

DLC Pack 6: Retroactively supporting the retro guys.
Doc Louis
Ice Climbers
Nester
Mike Jones
Jump Man skin for Mario, Mike Tyson skin for Doc Louis... or Mr. Sandman
Bonus Retro Boss: Tabuu

DLC Pack 7: We'd be done by now, but Sakurai Bias said to keep going.
Bandana Dee
Medusa
Magalor
Pyron
Pandora skin for Palutena, Warrior of Light Skin for Pit, Warrior of Dark skin for Dark Pit.
Bonus Boss Battle: Hades

DLC Pack 8: Oh, Mother, there's more?!?
Lucas
Flying Man
3rd Party Rep: Crono.
Bonus Boss Battle: Gigyas
Bonus Retro Boss: Porky
Ninten skin for Ness, Paula skin for Ness, Pu Skin for Ness, Masked Man skin for Lucas, Klaus skin for Lucas, Ness' (Or Lucas') dog skin for Duck Hunt... With Flying Man Looking Duck.

Yeah, okay, if I got all this, I don't know what I'd wish for anymore.
There are so many character names here I donot know where to start. 0_0

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Yeah, the group that was here a year ago single-handedly convinced me to join...even if speculation was still a big deal, it wouldn't be the same.
I miss @Louie G. ...
I'm not sure if this is really the right place to ask, but what happened to him? He was a fairly frequent poster here up until the day he just completely disappeared.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

I suspect most people are more interested in playing the game than discussing it at this point and thus this would explain the absence of those people.

And do you really want another round of people being wrong about several different characters?

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I still check here regularly, not much activity though. I kind of miss the days when there would be new rosters almost daily.

Not much to do here since I'm mostly on the DLC train for Rayman and Snake, and I'm sure people get tired of the same thing.

?????????????

Smash Master
I'm thoroughly enjoying the new game, but I still think K. Rool and Ridley should have been playable. Sakurai's reasoning for not including Ridley is half-baked bull****.

Last edited:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Ridley / Roidley / Meta Ridley / NES Ridley / Pink Gold Ridley?... No.
Another, but unexpected Metroid character like Anthony, maybe XD

?????????????

Smash Master
I honestly believe that, if Ridley isn't playable, no other Metroid character (besides Samus) should be. He is so much more prominent than any other secondary character that I would find it insulting to add someone else over him.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453

Almost forgot about this earlier.

Well...thing is, the game got closer and closer to release, we started knowing more and more about the characters that would be in the final game, and well...I just sort of lost interest in this thread and many other characters threads as time went on throughout all of that.

When/if DLC characters outside of Mewtwo become a thing I might start posting here again more often. But for now I mainly just lurk here, that is when I do visit it. I barely even lurk here as it stands right now.

Last edited:

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
and a lot of other users with different names now, like BigAxle.
Hi there!

On topic, I feel like if we did get a third Metroid non-Ridley character, it'd have to be Dark Samus. There's not much else that could really be done, but Dark Samus seems like the Metroid villain they'd use.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Dark Samus is probably the next best choice for another Metroid character, but a part of me has always felt that it wouldn't be right to have any other Metroid character other than Ridley, unless the character would be playable in ADDITON to Ridley, of course.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I doubt we'll be seeing a new Metroid character for a very long time.
Unless Nintendo happens to push a new character (like Isabelle) for the franchise, which I highly doubt for a franchise like Metroid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom