• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gold_Jacobson

Smash Journeyman
I think the leak roster characters are all great.

However, If that is it, then I'm worried.

That Donkey Kong, Metroid, and Zelda did not get a single new member? I don't mean all of them, but at least one of those series should have gotten one.

That's the only thing that bothers me. As long as they get something, it's good.

Gre ninja'd

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1693-2965-0889
Including/especially Pichu, Young Link, Dr. Mario, and Roy?

Done, and doing.
Speaking of mains, them Amiibos. They look fun.
Though I question the point of unlockable characters when there are Amiibos of them released the next few months.

Then again, I am beginning to question the motive behind secret characters in general.
Secret characters are unpopular characters that a minority of people like, so they aren't revealed until after you buy the game so you won't get so mad you won't buy it for some odd reason.

Morbi

Scavenger
Duck hunt dog is the saving grace if the roster in my opinion, shulk was a shoe-in, bowser he is growing in me, but duck hunt dog made me so happy because he'll most likely play like banjo and kazooie, my most wanted character ever.
I do agree to an extent, Duck Hunt Dog was similar Lucina. They are both some of my favorite characters in Nintendo history; however, I failed to give them the benefit of the doubt. To be fair, I did say Lucina was more likely than Chrom on multiple occasions, but even then, I did not believe we would get her. So in that way, Duck Hunt Dog is one of my favorite aspects of the leak. I failed to support a retro because Duck Hunt and Balloon Fighter were the only characters that I even wanted from the category. He is not a saving grace though, I do not believe that this roster needs saving. If there were any character that saved it, it would have been Dark Pit.

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
Secret characters are unpopular characters that a minority of people like, so they aren't revealed until after you buy the game so you won't get so mad you won't buy it for some odd reason.
That has never been established as a rule. Any character can be a secret character.

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
What I wanna know is why every secret character except Bowser Jr. and DHD is either a veteran or clone. Seriously, why is Wario unlockable?
We don't know if he's unlockable or not, and we might not even know the full roster. That 'starting roster' might not even be the starting roster, because it was never confirmed.

Niala

Smash Ace
Including/especially Pichu, Young Link, Dr. Mario, and Roy?

Done, and doing.
Speaking of mains, them Amiibos. They look fun.
Though I question the point of unlockable characters when there are Amiibos of them released the next few months.

Then again, I am beginning to question the motive behind secret characters in general.
Secret characters are just a method of rewarding the player simply for playing the game. I've always thought it was really good game design, honestly.

Amiibos I'm still unsure. It strikes me as something I'll enjoy for about the first week or two, and then just go and enjoy the rest of the content of the game, basically ignoring it at that point.

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
For every Mewtwo, there is a R.O.B. :urg:

Wait a second... never mind, R.O.B. was included six years ago, that apparently makes him a great choice for some reason. Please, Sakurai, do not cut R.O.B., he SAVED video-games. :troll:
I remember being excited when I found out ROB was in the game :X apparently that was an unpopular opinion back in brawl speculation days lol

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Secret characters are just a method of rewarding the player simply for playing the game. I've always thought it was really good game design, honestly.

Amiibos I'm still unsure. It strikes me as something I'll enjoy for about the first week or two, and then just go and enjoy the rest of the content of the game, basically ignoring it at that point.
For every Mewtwo, there is a R.O.B. :urg:

Wait a second... never mind, R.O.B. was included six years ago, that apparently makes him a great choice for some reason. Please, Sakurai, do not cut R.O.B., he SAVED video-games. :troll:
Y'know. Here's the thing when it came to the secret newcomers with each passing game. My experiences.

N64 (age 3-4) I fumbled around to discover them by accident

:ness64::falcon64:: I dunno who these guys are but they look really cool!
:luigi64::jigglypuff64:: Oh my god it's so cool that they're here, man they're fun to play!

Melee (age 6-7, yeah, Melee really came out that quickly after 64) The same as N64 except for Mewtwo because my dad said he heard how to unlock the final newcomer at his work (Best Buy at the time)

:marthmelee:: Who's this guy?
:drmario::roymelee::falcomelee:: This guy's dumb. Why's he here? They're the same dude as :mariomelee::marthmelee::foxmelee:!
:younglinkmelee:: He's dumb. He's like a stupid shorter :linkmelee: who can't kill!
:pichumelee:: SO CUTE
:gawmelee:: This guy's weird but really cool.
:ganondorfmelee:: RAAAGGGGHHH This dude's uber strong and awesome. So cool he's in!
:mewtwomelee:: OH MY GOD IT'S MEWTWOOO... he's really dumb and his moves do like nothing!

Brawl (age 12) I figured out about the VS match thing and just grinded them all out the first few hours I had with the game.
:lucario:: Cool! It's like Mewtwo but he like works a lot better... his Up b's weird.
:snake:: Yeah... I knew he was here... why is he in the game? He just doesn't... play like he's meant to be a Smash fighter.
:rob:: It's like that thing I see cameos of in like every game series... his moves are pretty bad.
:sonic:: FINALLY~! I GOT SONIC! This is gonna be great!
:toonlink:: Cool! It's a Link that isn't the ugly Twilight Princess look! ...Wow he's a lot better to play as!
:wolf:: Oh man. Another Star Fox character who has the same moves and tries to feel new. Gonna use you for the trophies for the 1P modes and never touch you again.

Just to say, I find it weird that 6 of the 18 newcomers of Brawl were unlockable.

Smash 4 newcomer reactions as they have been revealed officially (age 17-18) as we don't know whose unlockable.
:4villager:: ...Cool. He's interesting. Not gonna use him a lot.
:4megaman:: OH MY GOD THIS IS MORE THAN I EVER HOPED FOR. OKKUSENMAN OKKUSENMAN
:4wiifit:: ...Wait... really? Okay. Whatever.
:rosalina:: Sweet, an Icies like fighter I may be able to use and she's one of my favorite new Nintendo characters.
:4littlemac:: It's really cool that he's in.
:4greninja:: HAHAHA, NO MEW-2-4-U! Holy crap he looks cool.
:4mii:: IN GEMATSU WE TRUST! This honestly looks like the best that we could've gotten.
:4palutena:: Oh my god that was so great. I can't wait to use her!
:4pacman:: That was pretty cool. Glad they balanced 2D and 3D Pacman. Gematsu's pretty sealed.
:4robinm::4robinf:: FINALLY SOME VARIETY IN FE REPS. But... time for everyone to tear down every last shred of Gematsu's leaks of outdated info.
:4lucina:: As much as Sakurai said he's focusing on the uniqueness of fighters, a clone was pretty bound to happen. Y'know what, 1 out of 13 ain't bad, Lucina's a character I'm not upset appearing and I always said she'd be a Marth Clone if so and they didn't let her use lances.
:4shulk:: Man... that's... not what I expected for Shulk's moves for the most part. Looks pretty solid. But I STILL don't want to believe in ESRB.

MYU2

Smash Apprentice
If this is the final roster, I will be deeply disappointed. No Mewtwo, no DK/Metroid newcomers &
Falcondorf, still after 2 games.

Last edited:

Gre ninja'd

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1693-2965-0889
Just saw a 5 minute Japanese smash commercial or something, and it seems that robins up smash is the same as Marths, just not as flashy.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Another thing that I want to add is that once the final roster is shown, I will be very interested to see what Sakurai would say and provide reasons on their inclusions.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Actually @ CJ Falcon CJ Falcon , I just realized that in a game about Nintendo All stars, we're both most excited for the new third parties.

Not sure if that's more upsetting or saddening.

Last edited:

Gre ninja'd

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1693-2965-0889
Actually @ CJ Falcon CJ Falcon , I just realized that in a game about Nintendo All stars, we're both most excited for the new third parties.

Not sure if that's more upsetting, or saddening.
It's good because nintendo doesn't own every character, and we should be happy that a character that we once thought would never be in, is in.
@ Capt. Butt Stallion Capt. Butt Stallion thank you :)

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I don't get the people who wanted Gematsu, yet don't want ESRB's leak. Did everyone want to play Chorus Kids so badly they'd rather not have Bowser Jr, Duck Hunt Dog and two additional clones(?) in Dr. Mario and Dark Pit?

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Ugh, no DK newcomer but two new Kid Icarus characters? Sorry, but that's ridiculous...

Dixie or King K. Rool really should've appeared. I like both but I'd rather see K. Rool. Dixie would be pretty sweet though.

It's funny how most thought a DK newcomer would be a shoe-in.

Last edited:

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord

Not sure if that's more upsetting, or saddening.
That is true, but what makes us happy is that these two characters are in this game about Nintendo All stars, right? It's because we love seeing them with our favorite Nintendo characters. Is that not good enough? This kind of thing doesn't happen often, so we shouldn't mope because we didn't get those Nintendo characters we wanted. I mean, I don't think either of us gives a crap about this:

but this?:

Love
And it's good enough for me.

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I bet we at least get Dixie.
This is most likely not the full roster. There's still hope for K. Rool. Or maybe even K. Rool and Dixie.

Don't let it be only Dixie, please.
I hope there's more, but I'm starting to think otherwise. We don't have too much longer though, the Japanese release is approaching and we'll know the full roster relatively soon.

#DKNewcomerIsNeeded

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Ugh, no DK newcomer but two new Kid Icarus characters? Sorry, but that's ridiculous...

Dixie or King K. Rool really should've appeared. I like both but I'd rather see K. Rool. Dixie would be pretty sweet though.

It's funny how most thought a DK newcomer would be a shoe-in.
I don't blame people for thinking that. DK has had a very successful resurgence, with Returns selling 7 million at this point, and the 3DS port doing about 1.5 mil. I'm honestly baffled as to why there most likely will not be a DK newcomer.

That is true, but what makes us happy is that these two characters are in this game about Nintendo All stars, right? It's because we love seeing them with our favorite Nintendo characters. Is that not good enough? This kind of thing doesn't happen often, so we shouldn't mope because we didn't get those Nintendo characters we wanted. I mean, I don't think either of us gives a crap about this:

but this?:

Love
True, true.

Gre ninja'd

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1693-2965-0889
I hope there's more, but I'm starting to think otherwise. We don't have too much longer though, the Japanese release is approaching and we'll know the full roster relatively soon.

#DKNewcomerIsNeeded
Seeing K rool in smash would be quite a rare sight. If he's announced I would play the banjo and kazoo(ie) all day long.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I don't blame people for thinking that. DK has had a very successful resurgence, with Returns selling 7 million at this point, and the 3DS port doing about 1.5 mil. I'm honestly baffled as to why there most likely will not be a DK newcomer.
I am one of those people who thought we'd see a DK newcomer. I thought we'd see Dixie though, mainly because I mostly supported King K. Rool and I knew I wouldn't get what I wanted. :glare:

... But nothing is confirmed so we'll see. And be disappointed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom