• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
I think the roster needs a crocodile, I'd prefer k rool, but id take any crocodile at this point.
Would you believe that two of my most wanteds are crocodiles? K. Rool, and Feraligatr. granted, Gatr never had much of a chance to begin with, and Greninja basically killed those infinitesimal chances. This may possibly be because crocodiles have been one of my favorite animals for a long time.

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
Maybe Dixie wouldn't be a total clone, but there's no way in hell Sakurai would make all of her attacks totally unique from Diddy's.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Well, if Dixie is not in, then I guess K. Rool should take her slot...
Sakurai has been advertiseing new Nintendo games (It seems to be general consensus for character decision making), all the newcomers that aren't retros and icons of gaming like :4villager:,:4wiifit:,:4palutena:,:4greninja:,:4shulk:, :4robinm:, :rosalina:, :4lucina:, and Dark Pit are all advertising games that came out the past few years. K. Rool doesn't have any recent DKC games that star him as the main villain, which is why I doubt he's going to be added at all, even with his popularity as a character and the potential he has.

Gre ninja'd

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1693-2965-0889
Triple fixing this for all of us:
The DK newcomer should be Dixie, the Zelda newcomer should be Malon, and the Metroid newcomer should be Anthony Higgs.

Whew. That was hard work.

Getting a little heated there with that factpinion of yours. Allow me to offer my own factpinion... DIXIE WOULD NOT BE A TOTAL CLONE.
Fine, semi-clone whatever, we don't need another one of those either.

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
Funny, because he said, he wants be neutral to the franchises. And I don't get it, why Fire Emblem has got 2 Newcomer, while other very important franchises not even one.
One thing that is not happening is neutrality in the franchises...

Well, Mario has seven characters, It may not be over representation, but Zelda and pokemon, specially the second one have the potential of this same amount of characters.

In other hand, the general content of the game is inclined to Kid Icarus, and Zelda SS side. There are lot of new items, stages and assist trophys of these games, while series like DK, Metroid and Starfox, series with much more history in nintendo them KI are doomed with the two characters status, and with poor content overall. It is even worse with Starfox, ya know why...

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I never once thought, "This roster needs a crocodile." I always thought, "Wow, this roster needs a DK newcomer." which then lead to, "Wow, King K. Rool would be an awesome addition!" :p

Last edited:

Gre ninja'd

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1693-2965-0889

Well, Mario has seven characters, I may not be over representation, but Zelda and pokemon, specially the second one have the potential of this same amount of characters.

In other hand, the general content of the game is inclined to Kid Icarus, and Zelda SS side. There are lot of new items, stages and assist trophys of these games, while series like DK, Metroid and Starfox, series with much more history in nintendo them KI are doomed with the two characters status, and with poor content overall. It is even worse with Starfox, ya know why...
We're getting falco back, corneria back, Andross back, a new wii u stage, and possibly wolf. Stair fax is perfectly fine as is.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I'm pretty happy with the roster.

So far I got:
5/5: :4megaman::4littlemac::4sonic::058:
4/5::4pacman::4robinf::4wiifit:
3/5::4shulk::4palutena::rosalina:

And some rumored character which I like, like Dixie which I think is my favorite of the Kongs for some reason. Or at least next to DK.
Really crossing my fingers so that Isaac is DLC, where Takamaru failed. :(

But all in all, I'll say it once more. This game has my favorite SSB roster so far.
The only downside that I really cared about so far to me is::squirtle::ivysaur::pt:
But I will eventually miss: :wolf:and especially:popo: because retro characters are really hard to come by in SSB.

Last edited:

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Fine, semi-clone whatever, we don't need another one of those either.
Street Fighter has like a million semi clones of Ryu and erryone loves the games anyway. Ken, Sean, Akuma and Gouken.

You can never have too many cool semi-clones. :secretkpop:

Edit: I forgot Dan.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
This Krookodile love made me realize Greninja robbed us from the real best Pokemon rep.

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Street Fighter has like a million semi clones of Ryu and erryone loves the games anyway. Ken, Sean, Akuma and Gouken.

You forgot Sakura!
I love me some Ken and Akuma and Bison.
In Smash, we have had two Mario clones. Luigi being a far semi-clone and Dr. Mario. Heck, Wario was supposedly going to be a Mario clone if he were to have been added in Melee.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Y'know, here's the real thing. With the increasingly-likely chance that the initial ESRB picture leak is true, we have at best... and mostly likely 5 more slots to fill (unless I'm missing something). I say likely because Melee is the only case where these lines were not filled and was already padded out by 6 clones because the game was fairly rushed and focused mostly on gameplay with barely a bigger team than the 64 team with the same timespan and about double the work.

And before people try to say "oh, but there could be another line" that would mean going from 6x9 to either 7x9 or 6x10. Giving 11 or 14 slots to fill. Talking about the 3DS layout, of course.

We had 12, 14, and 18 newcomers in 64, Melee, and Brawl respectively. 1/12, 6/14, and 3/18 additions being clone-ish in nature.

As we are now, we officially know 14 newcomers, 1 being a clone. Bowser Jr. is unofficially confirmed via the gameplay videos. If the ESRB leak is true, that's another 2 in Dark Pit and Duck Hunt.

1/12->6/14->3/18->2(?)/17, based upon information given. We don't KNOW Dark Pit's a clone yet. I say 2-3 characters of those 5 are going to be newcomers. However, I don't think we'd be getting three other fully unique fighters of the. At least one would be a relative clone.

My personal stake is still Marshal, Bandana Dee, and Dixie if we're lucky. I'm not forcing anyone to feel this way. Believe what you want in that pool.

Horrible logic, we need variety, not another clone, I'd rather have black hole than another monkey, if Dixie or Impa are in, I will be sooo mad because we could've gotten original characters, not dumb clones that should be alts.
The amount of times that this has needed to be said is far too many: The vast majority of clones are made because they are at least fairly popular characters who help fill out the roster and require far less work than a fully unique character. :4lucina: shares a moveset but the properties of those moves has the possibility of making her playstyle more aggressive and aerial based than :4marth:. Dixie would likely be a Semi-Clone of Diddy. I can see her sharing the Down and Side B, but her Up B would be her twirlicopter and the neutral B could easily be Tiny's feather shooter, and there's plenty of variance possible outside those basic specials and she would also most likely have a unique final smash. Impa I don't see playable for a myriad of reasons, but the extent of which how much she is a "clone" is very up to question.

MagnesD3

Smash Master

Well, Mario has seven characters, I may not be over representation, but Zelda and pokemon, specially the second one have the potential of this same amount of characters.

No Wolf, No DK rep or No Metroid rep is devastating.

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
We're getting falco back, corneria back, Andross back, a new wii u stage, and possibly wolf. Stair fax is perfectly fine as is.
Wolf guy, Wolf. He was cut.
Andross role is a mess...
Can you name other SF assist trophies?
And Starfox has much more stage potential than... Great Foxes...
We have only one SF item. They cut the other one...

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand

Dude don't forget Evil Ryu and Oni.

Though Evil Ryu is top tier now so nobody cares anymore. Oni is banned.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Wolf guy, Wolf. He was cut.
Andross role is a mess...
Can you name other SF assist trophies?
And Starfox has much more stage potential than... Great Foxes...
We have only on SF item. They cut the other one...
There is still a chance Wolf is a secret unlockable but im not holding my breath, I will most likely have to yell alot to get him in as DLC which will be an annoying endeavor that isnt even guaranteed to work...

Last edited:

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
In Smash, we have had two Mario clones. Luigi being a far semi-clone and Dr. Mario. Heck, Wario was supposedly going to be a Mario clone if he were to have been added in Melee.
Wario has a lot of moveset potential from his Wario Land games. I was a little surprised they didn't go that route.

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
There is still a chance Wolf is a secret unlockable but im not holding my breath, I will most likely have to yell alot to get him in as DLC which will be an annoying endeavor that isnt even guaranteed to work...
I'm really messed with the new roster not because of the newcomer choices, but because of the cuts.
Pokemon Trainer is my main. Wolf is my second main. I'm a really unfortunate guy...
I hope Wolf is back as DLC at least... I gonna have fun with this thing!

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
I'm more surprised it seems they're still not for this game. I don't mind taking influence from WarioWare, but they act like Wario was a nobody before WW.
They also act like Pac-Man never existed in a 3D game before where he had attacks that they could take inspiration from. Megaman gets all his classic attacks and abilities while Pac-Man throws fruit and ghosts at people. :ohwell:

Last edited:

FalcoPaunch!121

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5386-9681-7388
Falco could be cut. Sakurai is unpredictable and we didn't really get any footage on him... But Krystal is always a possibility. As for DK reps, I think that Dixie will be a semi-clone of Diddy and maybe even Sonic. And boo Ridley! Go Dark Samus! You are an AT, but guys. What if PM gives us half the AT's? Or if there is a mode like Classic but you fight AT's? Or fricken DLC!

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Yeah one thing I love about PM wario is that his attacks are taken from the wario land games like they are supposed to be and not the silly ware ware games...
I like both Brawl and PM Wario, but they both made a mistake in picking just one series to represent. While I vastly prefer Wario Land, I can't deny the success of WarioWare. Some sort of compromise would be best.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Falco could be cut. Sakurai is unpredictable and we didn't really get any footage on him... But Krystal is always a possibility. As for DK reps, I think that Dixie will be a semi-clone of Diddy and maybe even Sonic. And boo Ridley! Go Dark Samus! You are an AT, but guys. What if PM gives us half the AT's? Or if there is a mode like Classic but you fight AT's? Or fricken DLC!
Falco is already confirmed thanks to the leak, Wolf was not on that leak. As a huge fan of Star Fox losing Wolf an important antagonist in the franchise will be devastating if he is a secret unlockable or dlc. I just fear I wont get either and it will be a case of Mewtwo all over again.

FalcoPaunch!121

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5386-9681-7388
New topic.

What's that near Samus on the ground?

@ MagnesD3 MagnesD3 we didnt get proof on Falco, just newcomers and stuff.

Last edited:

Gre ninja'd

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1693-2965-0889
Krystal was deconfirmed, if wolf is gone then there is no need for Krystal anyways. Dixie < K rool, Ridley is likely, and dark samus is deconfirmed too.

Burruni

Smash Hero
They also act like Pac-Man never existed in a 3D game before where he had attacks that they could take inspiration from. Megaman gets all his classic attacks and abilities while Pac-Man throws fruit and ghosts at people. :ohwell:
How do you mean?

His Dash attack, side special, and final smash are his normal pizza self eating away (alongside his stage-entrance animation), alongside the Pac-Maze stage

His Down Special summons the fire hydrant from Pac Land, a 2D game which also has a stage.

His neutral special chucks some of the fruit eaten in original pacman and cycles up into very iconic part of Namo's old games.

His recovery is just Mappy Land trampolines.

His smash attacks and one of his taunts are the ghosts in their arcade version. Presumably they are also an assist trophy, based on a scene from his trailer.

The only 3D part of Pac-man I saw in this game is his model.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom