• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Changing Color Effects in Melee!

Lanceinthepants

Smash Lord
Not quite that simple, it gets saved into memory based on floating point calculations.

8111c630 in the game's memory

Last edited:

DRGN

Technowizard
Awesome! I'm just now seeing the updates on the dust & smoke offsets. This is pretty cool. For my application though, it kind of sucks that there are so many locations, because I want to change them all to be completely invisible. I'm not really afraid of the extra work, just of possibly not being able to find some of them. (I was hoping in this case there would just be a few shared textures, so removing/altering a handful would remove them all.)

I tried changing the transparency value shown below (after the header 111E4C, shown above in Pichu's fsmash) to 00 and to FF, but I couldn't tell a difference with either of those values (original was 07). The wind/smoke effects seemed to all still be visible.

are you changing that specific offset, or the color under that offset header? The offsets I put in the pictures are the offsets of the color header, not the offsets of the color value itself. I mostly found 070707 and CF## headers, read about changing them in the first post on this thread. (dont worry its easy)

The offset 113dec is the location of the color header. Only change the values color1 and color2. In the case of 070707 headers, the offset of color1 will always be 4 greater than the value I provide, and the offset of color2 will always be 8 greater than the offset I provide.

I have noticed color 1 is usually the fill, or inside color, and color 2 is usually the stroke, or outside color of a shape.
In the OP, Lance said "[The Transparency Control] value controls the transparency of your effect. I have found changing this value either will crash your game or make the effect disappear completely, so I always leave it alone." What was set to make the effect disappear? I'm wondering if this is not actually a value range, but a flag or some kind of selector switch.

Last edited:

Goatlink

Smash Apprentice
Awesome! I'm just now seeing the updates on the dust & smoke offsets. This is pretty cool. For my application though, it kind of sucks that there are so many locations, because I want to change them all to be completely invisible. I'm not really afraid of the extra work, just of possibly not being able to find some of them. (I was hoping in this case there would just be a few shared textures, so removing/altering a handful would remove them all.)

I tried changing the transparency value shown below (after the header 111E4C, shown above in Pichu's fsmash) to 00 and to FF, but I couldn't tell a difference with either of those values (original was 07). The wind/smoke effects seemed to all still be visible.

In the OP you said "[The Transparency Control] value controls the transparency of your effect. I have found changing this value either will crash your game or make the effect disappear completely, so I always leave it alone." What did you set it to to make the effect disappear? I'm wondering if this is not actually a value range.
well actually I never messed with the transparency values, I just included them in the infographic because I saw them in Lance's post, and he also said that changing the transparency might crash the game, so your results are not unexpected, sadly. So yeah Lance is the one to ask about transparency.

DRGN

Technowizard
Oh ok. Whoops.

Looking again at the OP, I see in another infographic listed under "Random Offsets" that shows:

00 = transparent
ff = opaque

Maybe that's just for those particular kind of images though?

Also, there are a lot of files starting with "Ef". I'm guessing those are all effects files, most of which for specific characters? Would some of those also contain the wind/smoke effects?

Lanceinthepants

Smash Lord
Yea I never mess with that data byte.

I know 00 will make it disappear but may also crash the game

Last edited:

Goatlink

Smash Apprentice
Oh ok. Whoops.

Looking again at the OP, I see in another infographic listed under "Random Offsets" that shows:

00 = transparent
ff = opaque

Maybe that's just for those particular kind of images though?

Also, there are a lot of files starting with "Ef". I'm guessing those are all effects files, most of which for specific characters? Would some of those also contain the wind/smoke effects?
im quite sure that every dust cloud is in efcodata.dat, there are a LOT of cf## offsets that I didnt record. I should say this though, I did record all the cf## offsets with 2 colors and the first color being ffffff.

Last edited:

The Realest

Smash Cadet
Darkness
(Hyperlinks below are pictures)
Purple and black shine.
Purple and black select hand.
Purple and black re-spawn platform.
Falco's down air now has a darkness effect (also applied it to fox's up-smash).
Clouds turned to purple some mixed with black (if you don't know what I mean refer to Goatlinks posts above).
Purple lasers for both fox and falco.
Illusion/Phantasm changed to purple for fox and falco.
Charging smashes has darkness effect.
Also has the darkness up-b that lance made.
EDIT: Forgot about Marth with Purple and Black Sword Trail (also has darkness effect on down air and neutral B).
-/*\- Download -/*\-

I don't want to double post so...

I was trying to get 990099 into RGBY format, but I must have done something wrong because what I did freezes the game.
Here is the Calculation

R: 153/8 = 19 * 1024 = 19456 >> 4C00

G: 0/8 = 0 * 32 = 0 >> 0

B: 153/8 = 19 >> 13

x4C00 + x0 + x13 = x4C13

x4C13 + x8000 = *[(CC13)]* << I put that in for the lasers and it ended up freezing my game, help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Doq

Smash Lord
Darkness
Purple and black shine.
Clouds turned to purple some mixed with black (if you don't know what I mean refer to Goatlinks posts above).
EDIT: Forgot about Marth with Purple and Black Sword Trail (also has darkness effect on down air and neutral B).
-/*\- Download -/*\-

I was trying to get 990099 into RGBY format, but I must have done something wrong because what I did freezes the game.
Here is the Calculation

x4C00 + x0 + x13 = x4C13

x4C13 + x8000 = *[(CC13)]* << I put that in for the lasers and it ended up freezing my game, help would be appreciated.
Is that a purple Marth? :awesome:

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Darkness
Purple and black shine.
-/*\- Download -/*\-

Here is the Calculation

x4C00 + x0 + x13 = x4C13

The purple and black CSS hand is so awesome.

Goatlink

Smash Apprentice
Darkness
Purple and black shine.
-/*\- Download -/*\-

Here is the Calculation

x4C00 + x0 + x13 = x4C13

I know its not yours, but you should add the purple firefox and firebird hack to this too. good stuff.
Edit: herp derp, you did add it

Last edited:

The Realest

Smash Cadet
I know its not yours, but you should add the purple firefox and firebird hack to this too. good stuff.
Sorry if I didn't make it clear, but it is in there.
. . .
I've added to the download it now has magenta lasers and shine(old was purple for both), changed the 1st frames of shine to match the later ones, every character with a sword now has the same sword trail as Marth, I changed peaches turnips and umbrella(screenshots in folder in the download), changed Ness's aura on his side B, changed his Up-B and neutral B(screenshots in folder in the download), G&W colors have been changed, green=white, blue=magenta, inside of re-spawn platform folder there is an alternate download that has black shields and death flash for all ports, and every character has darkness effect while charging smashes.
EDIT: Dark Rainbow Shine added to Fox and Falco folder, also has a pic of it in the folder.

-/*\- Download -/*\-

Last edited:

zebra

Smash Cadet
Hey guys does anyone know how to change the blast aura from fox/falco's lasers? I managed to change the lasers themselves but can't seem to find anything on changing the 2 red circles that come out of the gun when it's fired. Sorry if something like this was already posted, any assistance would be appreciated :)

OverFlow

Smash Rookie
^ Same... i would really like to change those colors. It kinda ruins the effect of the colored lasers if the initial blast is still red

TerryJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
1337-1337-1337
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
Hey guys does anyone know how to change the blast aura from fox/falco's lasers? I managed to change the lasers themselves but can't seem to find anything on changing the 2 red circles that come out of the gun when it's fired. Sorry if something like this was already posted, any assistance would be appreciated :)
^ Same... i would really like to change those colors. It kinda ruins the effect of the colored lasers if the initial blast is still red
I'm pretty sure I remember seeing someone post the addresses for them. I'll look around a bit.

Edit: Nevermind, I was wrong. What I remember seeing was discussion about this same topic on page 83 or something of Melee Hacks and You.

Here's the quote:

i looked for awhile for the red part's offset but i havnt found it yet, but il find it eventually
il try looking again later tonight

*edit*
im pretty sure its a texture? maybe not but this also happens on the up b which is a texture
idk im tired il find out for sure tomorrow @_@

alsoooo
this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2KEcuCpueY&feature=youtu.be&t=10s

Your best bet is that it's a texture file that you'll just need to find and replace.

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Darkness
Purple and black shine.
-/*\- Download -/*\-

Here is the Calculation

x4C00 + x0 + x13 = x4C13

Realest,
Can you go over what you did to change the select hands on the CSS and how you gave them color? It looks like the hands are a "_3" (IA8) texture which I presumed was only black and white.

Thanks!

The Realest

Smash Cadet
Realest,
Can you go over what you did to change the select hands on the CSS and how you gave them color? It looks like the hands are a "_3" (IA8) texture which I presumed was only black and white.

Thanks!
My posts were just displaying what can be done with Lance's and the others tutorials
MnSlChr.usd
10050 - 07 FF FF FF 00 00 00 33 << that was in Lances original posts(1st or 2nd w/e)
The FF FF FF is the black or 00 00 00 that I used
The 00 00 33 is the purple or 99 00 99 that I used
simple as that
EDIT: Its 07 07 07 format, didnt really need to say it, but w/e

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master
My posts were just displaying what can be done with Lance's and the others tutorials
MnSlChr.usd
10050 - 07 FF FF FF 00 00 00 33 << that was in Lances original posts(1st or 2nd w/e)
The FF FF FF is the black or 00 00 00 that I used
The 00 00 33 is the purple or 99 00 99 that I used
simple as that
EDIT: Its 07 07 07 format, didnt really need to say it, but w/e
Gotcha. Sorry, I didn't see it was on the first page.

The Realest

Smash Cadet
MnSlChr.usd
000948 - 80 80 80 FF 00 0B 1A FF FF FF FF Background
348E88 - 07 07 07 07 83 8F 94 00 83 8F 94 Bottom frame
348F48 - 07 07 07 07 92 9E A3 00 92 9E A3 Rule
349008 - 07 07 07 07 83 8F 94 00 83 8F 94 Top frame

These haven't been posted here apparently I can't remember who found them, but I've just had them on a word document, so here they are
. . .
What can be done with them

Last edited:

Goatlink

Smash Apprentice
MnSlChr.usd
000948 - 80 80 80 FF 00 0B 1A FF FF FF FF Background
348E88 - 07 07 07 07 83 8F 94 00 83 8F 94 Bottom frame
348F48 - 07 07 07 07 92 9E A3 00 92 9E A3 Rule
349008 - 07 07 07 07 83 8F 94 00 83 8F 94 Top frame

These haven't been posted here apparently I can't remember who found them, but I've just had them on a word document, so here they are
. . .
What can be done with them
they change the colors on the CSS

The Realest

Smash Cadet
I've been going through the SSS(Stage Select Screen). I found a couple of things (a lot of the stuff I changed I didn't notice when looking at it).
MnSlMap.usd
6D250 – 80 80 80 FF B3 B3 B3 FF FF FF FF FF 3E 99 99 9A 42 48 00 (weird background things)
6EE10 – 80 80 80 FF 99 B3 B3 FF FF FF FF FF 3F 7F BE 77 42 48 00 (Stage Select cursor)
6F100 – FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF 3F 7F BE 77 42 48 00 (One of the alternating colors when hovering over a stage)
96C40 - 07 07 07 04 FF FF FF 00 FF FF FF (Text)
EDIT:
95A70 – 80 80 80 FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF 00 00 00 00 42 48 00 (Stage Select text at the bottom right)
95B10 – 80 80 80 FF CC CC CC FF FF FF FF FF 00 00 00 00 42 48 00 (Stage Select text inside circle)
95BE0 – 80 80 80 FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF 3F 7F BE 77 42 48 00 (White lines the make the border around the stages and make the smash symbol)

Last edited:

The Realest

Smash Cadet
So the "weird background things" can be made transparent and it makes the SSS look so much better.
6D250 – 80 80 80 FF B3 B3 B3 FF FF FF FF FF 3E 99 99 9A 42 48 00 (Original)
6D250 - 00 00 00 FF 00 00 00 FF FF FF FF FF 00 00 00 00 42 48 00 (Transparent)

Look at the background
Non-Transparent
Transparent

Achilles1515

Smash Master
So the "weird background things" can be made transparent and it makes the SSS look so much better.
6D250 – 80 80 80 FF B3 B3 B3 FF FF FF FF FF 3E 99 99 9A 42 48 00 (Original)
6D250 - 00 00 00 FF 00 00 00 FF FF FF FF FF 00 00 00 00 42 48 00 (Transparent)

Look at the background
Non-Transparent
Transparent
Wow it really does look better. Thanks!

edb1rd

Smash Rookie
Sorry if I didn't make it clear, but it is in there.
. . .
I've added to the download it now has magenta lasers and shine(old was purple for both), changed the 1st frames of shine to match the later ones, every character with a sword now has the same sword trail as Marth, I changed peaches turnips and umbrella(screenshots in folder in the download), changed Ness's aura on his side B, changed his Up-B and neutral B(screenshots in folder in the download), G&W colors have been changed, green=white, blue=magenta, inside of re-spawn platform folder there is an alternate download that has black shields and death flash for all ports, and every character has darkness effect while charging smashes.
EDIT: Dark Rainbow Shine added to Fox and Falco folder, also has a pic of it in the folder.
Great work. I've been trying to download the dark rainbow shine but I don't see a link. Also, if you were to use the dark firefox I'm guessing it wouldn't be possible to change the shine/laser colors? I noticed that to install the firefox you have to overwrite the files that would be used for shine and lasers.

The Realest

Smash Cadet
Great work. I've been trying to download the dark rainbow shine but I don't see a link. Also, if you were to use the dark firefox I'm guessing it wouldn't be possible to change the shine/laser colors? I noticed that to install the firefox you have to overwrite the files that would be used for shine and lasers.
re-uploaded the dark rainbow shine and all the lasers and shines have the dark firefox included

DRGN

Technowizard
sup everyone, here are my findings is EFCODATA.dat

Note1: the numbers you see in the pictures are the hexadecimal offsets of the header of the colors you need to change. The colors of the numbers correspond with the colors of the effect.
Note2: don't replace the colors with black, a lot of them have a low transparency, so it doesn't make a big difference from white, I recommend using colors with high saturation.
Here is a .rar of all the files that I used for testing. There are also 2 text files with all the offsets I tested, its pretty hard to follow though.
A lot of the effects are reused, such as the effect for Marths up smash, and bowsers landing, so the colors between those are shared. There is a lot I didn't find, but I found everything I was looking for. By all means pick up where I left off, I want to work on other things for a while.

now your windmills of fury can be even more ferocious!!

Only Falco has this cloud appear at the start of his jump

For now, I am working on changing the shape of the shine

Working off of the above, how would I go about completely REMOVING the textures, rather than changing their color?

I wanted to get rid of them for something I'm working on. I tried simply changing the opacity values to 00, but it didn't work. I assume I could inject blank images with the same dimensions in place of the texture files (making the color changing effects do nothing). But how do I do that? How do I extract/modify/reinject them?

Last edited:

Goatlink

Smash Apprentice
Working off of the above, how would I go about completely REMOVING the textures, rather than changing their color?

I wanted to get rid of them for something I'm working on. I tried simply changing the opacity values to 00, but it didn't work. I assume I could inject blank images with the same dimensions in place of the texture files (making the color changing effects do nothing). But how do I do that? How do I extract/modify/reinject them?
well they are just textures, I think you could theoretically find all of them and replace them with completely blank textures? idk thats my idea.
So you have been talking about your project that includes removing all the dust textures. whats the project?

DRGN

Technowizard
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. Using Dolphin I went ahead and dumped probably most of the smoke and dust textures just to take a look at them. I've never modified CSPs before either, but I've been reading more about those, and am now wondering if these smoke textures can be modified in the same way. Using TCS scripts and TexConv.exe, I figure if I can get the images back into their native TPL format that Nintendo uses, then I should theoretically be able to search for the exact hex data of each image in EfCoData that needs to be replaced. (And I figure I can create an all-black image as well as an all-white image of the same file, then compare what is the same between the two to determine how big the headers are, which I don't want to touch.) So that's my current thought process anyway; I haven't tried any of this yet.

Well, I don't think I want to reveal the project just yet for a few reasons (unless you want to PM me if you're really curious; that's fine). But it involves batch processing of a lot of images using a few gimp scripts I wrote. The problem is, the smoke and dust effects mess with the pixel selections, and obscures some of the image I want to be visible. Manually selecting the areas in the images is out of the question. If I can't remove the smoke, I could rip the images I need now with the smoke included, and then later if I learn how to remove it, I could RE-rip them (and reprocess them). But that would suck since it's a long process, even with the automation I have to do it. The alternative is to come up with better selection processes to deal with the smoke.

χάρη

Smash Rookie
I've been messing around with DRGN's smoke effects and I've messed up a good bit from what I wanted to do. How do I get the original EfCoData.dat files from the game so I can just start over from scratch?

Side note: My PIPe.dat file can't be replaced for some reason. I'm getting "Error: File size is too large" I've just currently started getting into hacking melee so I'm pretty clueless on some levels.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
I've been messing around with DRGN's smoke effects and I've messed up a good bit from what I wanted to do. How do I get the original EfCoData.dat files from the game so I can just start over from scratch?

Side note: My PIPe.dat file can't be replaced for some reason. I'm getting "Error: File size is too large" I've just currently started getting into hacking melee so I'm pretty clueless on some levels.
EfCoData(Original).dat

Always have a backup unmodified Melee ISO so you can extract any original files you need.

Did you actually extend the length of the PlPe.dat file? What did you modify in it? If all you are doing is opening it up and changing hex values, this should not be an issue. This goes without saying, but make sure you are using/replacing the correct file.

Last edited:

χάρη

Smash Rookie
Did you actually extend the length of the PlPe.dat file? What did you modify in it? If all you are doing is opening it up and changing hex values, this should not be an issue. This goes without saying, but make sure you are using/replacing the correct file.
I was changing hex values for Peach's umbrella and turnips and when I finished I went to go replace the file and the file size wouldn't match up. It was a late night when I did it. If I accidentally replaced it with the wrong file could it be reverted?

Lanceinthepants

Smash Lord
Using TCS scripts and TexConv.exe, I figure if I can get the images back into their native TPL format that Nintendo uses, then I should theoretically be able to search for the exact hex data of each image in EfCoData that needs to be replaced
DRGN I have done exactly this before and, while I did have some success, most of the time it didn't work. This was especially true for very small textures and textures with transparency. Good luck with what you are trying to do.

DRGN

Technowizard
I was changing hex values for Peach's umbrella and turnips and when I finished I went to go replace the file and the file size wouldn't match up. It was a late night when I did it. If I accidentally replaced it with the wrong file could it be reverted?
The size of the file will change if you delete or insert data, but not if you overwrite, which is what you'll want to do. I know the hex editing program HxD will warn you if you're about to change the file size, but I don't know what program you're using.

DRGN I have done exactly this before and, while I did have some success, most of the time it didn't work. This was especially true for very small textures and textures with transparency. Good luck with what you are trying to do.
Orly? Ok, thanks. Nice to know it's at least possible ahead of time. (Light at the end of the tunnel.)

Edit: Btw, Dolphin dumped me .PNGs. But GodFed wrote in one of his texture hacking posts, here, that it dumps targa files (.tga). Is there a setting that I'm not finding for this somewhere?

Last edited:
Top Bottom