• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Changing Color Effects in Melee!

ShockSlayer

Smash Cadet
Has anyone ever bothered indexing any of Ganondorf's EfGnData.dat offsets? Also, from what I gather there are textures in this file, is it possible to extract them?

I'm working on a fairly comprehensive hack, I've tried a whole bunch of the stuff in the first post already, but in the process I managed to make some of the effects disappear so I basically have to start over. Just curious if anyone else has ever written anything down, figure I could use that as a starting point and expand on it.

SS

Lanceinthepants

Smash Lord
Has anyone ever bothered indexing any of Ganondorf's EfGnData.dat offsets? Also, from what I gather there are textures in this file, is it possible to extract them?

I'm working on a fairly comprehensive hack, I've tried a whole bunch of the stuff in the first post already, but in the process I managed to make some of the effects disappear so I basically have to start over. Just curious if anyone else has ever written anything down, figure I could use that as a starting point and expand on it.

SS
I never looked at Ganon's dat file. If you want you can PM what you are looking for and I can try to put you in the right direciton.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Nube originally posted offsets pertaining to the Revival Platform colors in the Melee Hacks and You thread. I found one more color offset for the platform (the color right below the characters feet) and made a picture representation of all this information.

DRGN

Technowizard
Anyone know where the white smoke on pretty much all grounded moves is located? I want to remove it. I assume it's not a texture, and that I need to find their offset and change the opacity to 00.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Anyone know where the white smoke on pretty much all grounded moves is located? I want to remove it. I assume it's not a texture, and that I need to find their offset and change the opacity to 00.
I think I did this at one point a few years ago on complete accident....I totally forget what I did though. I think I zeroed out a whole bunch of code towards the end of the DOL file. It had tons of side effects lol. Like none of the characters had names at the character select screen (like where the name tag is) and the text for "4-man survival test" and what not was just completely blank. Idk...I can't really give you anymore details than that because I have no clue what I did exactly.

Lanceinthepants

Smash Lord
The smoke when you wavedash and hit the ground are all in EfCoData. It is multiple very small textures with color applied to it.

DRGN

Technowizard
Oh ok. Is that the same smoke that appears when you do ground based moves, like smash attacks or a grab?

Goatlink

Smash Apprentice
The smoke when you wavedash and hit the ground are all in EfCoData. It is multiple very small textures with color applied to it.
Lance, do you know the offset(s) where you can change the color applied the the smoke? and is that what is happening in this video:
?

Last edited:

Lanceinthepants

Smash Lord
Haha that is actually my roommate's video, and yes that is what is going on.

Unfortunately, I don't have the offsets for those changes and neither does he, but all changes done were in EfCoData.

Goatlink

Smash Apprentice
Haha that is actually my roommate's video, and yes that is what is going on.

Unfortunately, I don't have the offsets for those changes and neither does he, but all changes done were in EfCoData.
Any chance he still has that modified EfCoData file? if so, I want it.

DRGN

Technowizard
Awesome. :D I'm actually interested in completely removing the smoke for something I'm working on.

Goatlink

Smash Apprentice
Is there a way to search for stuff in HXD (or in any free hex editor), but exclude stuff from your search? say I want to search my file for "070707##ffffff" where I dont care what the ## is, anyone know of a way to do that? My progress on mapping EfCoData is going well, I have found and learned a lot so far. If nobody knows how to do the kind of search I want, I would be open to somebody helping me map and test offsets.

Last edited:

DRGN

Technowizard
You might try HexEdit. It's free, and according to their site it looks like it supports wildcard searches as of version 3.6.

Koopa|o.O

Smash Cadet
Does anyone know the hex codes for dr marios pill or marios fireball? ive been searching for hours and i cant find it.

Goatlink

Smash Apprentice
sup everyone, here are my findings is EFCODATA.dat

Note1: the numbers you see in the pictures are the hexadecimal offsets of the header of the colors you need to change. The colors of the numbers correspond with the colors of the effect.
Note2: don't replace the colors with black, a lot of them have a low transparency, so it doesn't make a big difference from white, I recommend using colors with high saturation.
Here is a .rar of all the files that I used for testing. There are also 2 text files with all the offsets I tested, its pretty hard to follow though.
A lot of the effects are reused, such as the effect for Marths up smash, and bowsers landing, so the colors between those are shared. There is a lot I didn't find, but I found everything I was looking for. By all means pick up where I left off, I want to work on other things for a while.

now your windmills of fury can be even more ferocious!!

Only Falco has this cloud appear at the start of his jump

For now, I am working on changing the shape of the shine

Last edited:

Goatlink

Smash Apprentice
more offsets

(also Marths upsmash and upb)

landing from arial

hitstun clouds

regular landing. I cant find that white part...

I ONLY saw this in Ness PK fire but it might show up other places too

these all show up a lot of places. 86f9 is also samus jump, I cant find the cloud effect under it though...

Change these to red and all the slash hits in the game look like blood, it looks pretty cool. (all the other auras in the game are in this file too, I just didnt find them)

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Wow, amazing! Fantastic finds! That had to have taken a good amount of time....So would you just find a color value in the dat, change it, and then play the game until you saw your new color?

That checkered Falco seriously made my day.

EDIT: Changing the shape of the shine is really interesting...are you trying to make it into something specific?

Last edited:

Goatlink

Smash Apprentice
Wow, amazing! Fantastic finds! That had to have taken a good amount of time....So would you just find a color value in the dat, change it, and then play the game until you saw your new color?

That checkered Falco seriously made my day.
thanks for reminding me, I was going to explain my process.

The very first thing I did was open up an efcodata.dat and change all FFFFFF to FF0000, then I ran the game, and every effect that was changed to red was in the file. Next I started searching all the headers, starting with 070707. I started by changing groups of offsets that I thought were related. I noticed a lot of patterns too, like 42 48 headers most commonly use 808080 as grey, while 070707 uses 7f7f7f as grey, also, the 070707 headers usually have a transparency of 07 or 04. For the CF## headers I would change a lot of offsets at once and record what effects where what colors, then for the next test, I would split up one color into 2 or 3 colors and look for the same effect, so I could find one offset out of 50 in "log(base 3) of 320" tests, because I used 3 colors each test and there were 320 cf## offsets I was interested in. In the end I had like 50 CF## offsets and I just changed them 4 at a time and ran the game till I found stuff. I think the whole thing took like 8 hours of work maybe. there are still a LOT of cf## headers I didnt mess with, and a lot of 070707 headers I recorded but didn't mess with, they are in a text file in my .rar.

Im trying to make the shine into a square or triangle, but mostly find out how to change it into any shape.

Last edited:

renaissance

Smash Cadet
thanks for reminding me, I was going to explain my process.

The very first thing I did was open up an efcodata.dat and change all FFFFFF to FF0000, then I ran the game, and every effect that was changed to red was in the file. Next I started searching all the headers, starting with 070707. I started by changing groups of offsets that I thought were related. I noticed a lot of patterns too, like 42 48 headers most commonly use 808080 as grey, while 070707 uses 7f7f7f as grey, also, the 070707 headers usually have a transparency of 07 or 04. For the CF## headers I would change a lot of offsets at once and record what effects where what colors, then for the next test, I would split up one color into 2 or 3 colors and look for the same effect, so I could find one offset out of 50 in "log(base 3) of 320" tests, because I used 3 colors each test and there were 320 cf## offsets I was interested in. In the end I had like 50 CF## offsets and I just changed them 4 at a time and ran the game till I found stuff. I think the whole thing took like 8 hours of work maybe. there are still a LOT of cf## headers I didnt mess with, and a lot of 070707 headers I recorded but didn't mess with, they are in a text file in my .rar.

Im trying to make the shine into a square or triangle, but mostly find out how to change it into any shape.

Goatlink

Smash Apprentice
i need help my game freezes wen i chnge 113dac 113dec 113cec 2 any color
are you changing that specific offset, or the color under that offset header? The offsets I put in the pictures are the offsets of the color header, not the offsets of the color value itself. I mostly found 070707 and CF## headers, read about changing them in the first post on this thread. (dont worry its easy)

The offset 113dec is the location of the color header. Only change the values color1 and color2. In the case of 070707 headers, the offset of color1 will always be 4 greater than the value I provide, and the offset of color2 will always be 8 greater than the offset I provide.

I have noticed color 1 is usually the fill, or inside color, and color 2 is usually the stroke, or outside color of a shape.

Last edited:

Goatlink

Smash Apprentice
hey all, quick update

EfCoData.dat 0x 12a6

look what I found!
its the offset of the shine that appears on the home run bat and a LOT of other moves like Falcons Dair and all of the spacies smash moves to name a few.
Here are some examples of other colors, you can change the white in the middle too, it is color 1, I chose not to though.

Also I made a custom EfCoData.dat for everyone, download here.
I changed all the effects to orange and yellow, making everything look like fire, it doesn't look terrible.

And one last thing...

In my limited findings with messing with the shape of the shine hexagon in EfFxData.dat, I did find a way to make it so whenever you shine, you do a fully functioning shine with the equivalent visuals you get with the invisible shine glitch. I dont know if I will continue to try and change the shape of the shine, it has proved extremely complicated and I fear it will be all for nothing. Download the always invisible shine mod here.

I will find and post more later

Koopa|o.O

Smash Cadet
thank u so much for these man.

Just curious, has anyone found anything on sheik? (needles and chain?)

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master
hey all, quick update

EfCoData.dat 0x 12a6

In my limited findings with messing with the shape of the shine hexagon in EfFxData.dat, I did find a way to make it so whenever you shine, you do a fully functioning shine with the equivalent visuals you get with the invisible shine glitch. I dont know if I will continue to try and change the shape of the shine, it has proved extremely complicated and I fear it will be all for nothing. Download the always invisible shine mod here.

I will find and post more later
Once again, awesome stuff Goatlink. Keep going, man.

thank u so much for these man.

Just curious, has anyone found anything on sheik? (needles and chain?)
As Lance stated, these are apparently textures so you'll have to dump them and try and find their offsets in the dat files

Goatlink

Smash Apprentice
Last edited:
Top Bottom