• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Changing Color Effects in Melee!

Lanceinthepants

Smash Lord
Would it be possible for you to change the rest of falcon's fire to blue as well? I'm talking mainly about falcon kick and raptor boost
Definitely on the to-do list!

Would you be able to change the Aura on Ganon's UpB to a Darkness aura? I tried doing it myself, but couldn't find the right location. An electricity aura might look nicer - I was planning on messing around with it once I found the location.

Also, I noticed that for a very short time Ganon is yellow during his Warlock Punch, which looks like an aura. If you could make that Darkness too, I'd appreciate it.
After a little looking around I found the Up B aura at 3DE0 in PlGn.dat. Its controlled by those 2 bytes (B9 20)

For darkness try B8 90
For electric try B8 40
For crazy *** **** try anything you want XD

I'll look for Warlock Punch later

Edit: Lol I found it. Its at 392C, 2 bytes (B9 80)

I plan on making a big chart of auras just like for charges but there are alot of these auras. I will do it when I have more time.

Glöwworm

Smash Lord
Lol, I know that. I was just stating that having both effects at the same time would be cool and something I would want.

Lanceinthepants

Smash Lord
I was bored so I started playing around with some offsets based on a hunch. I created an abomination!

This is Pikachu with the metal box item activated XD

Lanceinthepants

Smash Lord
Yea that thread and the other thread (http://www.emutalk.net/threads/50312-Melee-Arcive-Viewer-(MAV)-in-development-project) are really interesting. I need to download blender one of these days and give it a shot myself.

Also, I've been reading this thread a lot trying to make more sense of everything http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=292603

Lanceinthepants

Smash Lord
Yea I am going to bring an old disc I made, but over the break my laptop stopped working. I am trying to fix it since it has everything I have done (plus other important stuff) on it o_O

Lanceinthepants

Smash Lord
Quick Update

Yea so I am in the process of salvaging my laptop's hard drive. Once i get that I will post some more stuff. My goal was to make an a pretty good looking color change ISO before Apex, but I'm not sure if I will be able to get that done. Its probably good this happened with finals coming up, but I was hoping I would have had more stuff done by now =( Over Christmas break I expect I will update this alot though.

hot$

Smash Ace
Any clue how to change the "flare" when fox/falco shoots their laser? as it is right now, say you change the laser color to yellow.. you shoot a yellow laser, but the "flare" is still red. just looks off, hopefully someone has attempted to find it!

Lanceinthepants

Smash Lord
Any clue how to change the "flare" when fox/falco shoots their laser? as it is right now, say you change the laser color to yellow.. you shoot a yellow laser, but the "flare" is still red. just looks off, hopefully someone has attempted to find it!
Yea both me and Mr H have looked for this unsuccessfully. I agree with you it does look off. I am purchasing a new laptop this afternoon so I will look some more at this.

:phone:

Steelia

Smash Champion
Really nice thread going here, it's amazing what can be seen just by lurking around. :p

In regards to your Smash Attack aura-charge-changing post, Lanceinthepants, I'm a bit curious... I was messing with offsets to change Smash attack colors, and I remember you saying something about Smash attacks and multiple angles. When you say that, does that mean a character can potentially have more than 3 Smash Attack colors?

For instance, I was browsing Falcon, and I found 5 offsets. Here's what I got:

Code:
PlCa
00004a78 - 
00004b20 - Forward
00004b9c - 
00004c14 - Up
00004d20 - Down
I found his Forward Smash, Up Smash, and Down Smash easy, but the other two... assuming from your guide, would those other 2 offsets be his Forward Smash at upward and downward tilts? I can't test it in Dolphin because I cannot do Forward Smash tilts (only Up and Down smashes come out ]: ).

If that's what you meant, then that makes life a little easier. Really appreciate the guides here, I'm going to have some fun messing with those charge colors. *_*

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
Yeah, it's exactly what you think it is. I messed around with all of that on Ganon. From my memory, the first offset is angled up, and the other is angled down.

Steelia

Smash Champion
Very nice. Can't believe I changed all the character Smash attacks already... but those altered effects look SICK in-game. *_*

Just a side note, I couldn't find the Smash Attack charge colors for Ness's down-smash or up-smash... Only his forward-smash. Is there some alternate hex I'd have to look for to find those? If I can't change him, that's fine, I'm just curious.

Lanceinthepants

Smash Lord
Haha sorry if I worded my guide badly, but yes those extra offsets are the angles of the forward smash.

Also that is pretty interesting about Ness. I will have to look at his data.

Post coming tomorrow :D

Aoshi Shinamori

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I was wondering where is the white ranger captain falcon file. If someone could pm me the link I would be most greatful. Plus, I'm blow away by what you guys do here! Keep up the good work guys!

blindfreak9

Smash Cadet
How do you find location of the smash charge hex? i tried Ctr-f and typed that in and changed it to hex-values but it said nothing found. Help?!

Lanceinthepants

Smash Lord
Hey do you think someone could reupload Blue Falcon Punch and Purple Firefox and send me the links.

I ended up losing everything on my old laptop. Most of the stuff I put in this thread but there was some stuff I had put a lot of work into and were almost finished (Different colors on Pokemon Stadium Platforms, Mario Ice Ball, a Dr Mario texture that looked like Dexter from Dexter's Lab, part of a guide to change auras to other moves besides smashes, and other things I had put at least some time into) and that really made me lose my motivation. I still plan on writing the guide for changing the other auras though.

Warhawk

Smash Lord
So the other day I had someone remark on how cool it would be for them to have multiple Falco laser colors for different costumes and I told them that from my knowledge it was impossible to do this since the data for Falco's laser color required editing his model file to edit the color. Afterwards however I got around to thinking and now I'm really curious if its possible to have something like Falco's laser color or the color of Marth's blade when he swings be different based on the controller port number you have, much like how your shield color depends on your controller port in singles. Something tells me that its different for shields and therefore not applicable to other textures, but I'm really curious about it and had to ask.

Steelia

Smash Champion
part of a guide to change auras to other moves besides smashes
ah
Speaking of that... In your guide, you note how you can change the Forward Smash (up-forward-down tilts when possible), the Down Smash, and Up Smash. I noticed the other day when we randomly had items on, characters also have Smash attack charges when charging held items like the Beam Sword, and I think these are the offsets found later in their files. Were these going to be covered too ?

Lanceinthepants

Smash Lord
So the other day I had someone remark on how cool it would be for them to have multiple Falco laser colors for different costumes and I told them that from my knowledge it was impossible to do this since the data for Falco's laser color required editing his model file to edit the color. Afterwards however I got around to thinking and now I'm really curious if its possible to have something like Falco's laser color or the color of Marth's blade when he swings be different based on the controller port number you have, much like how your shield color depends on your controller port in singles. Something tells me that its different for shields and therefore not applicable to other textures, but I'm really curious about it and had to ask.
Sorry man but this is impossible. The data in the file that controls this stuff applies it to the character no matter what port or costume you choose.

ah
Speaking of that... In your guide, you note how you can change the Forward Smash (up-forward-down tilts when possible), the Down Smash, and Up Smash. I noticed the other day when we randomly had items on, characters also have Smash attack charges when charging held items like the Beam Sword, and I think these are the offsets found later in their files. Were these going to be covered too ?
Yea after the first 3 or 5 smash offsets (5 offsets if there is angled forward smashes) there will be 5 more offsets that have the the charged smash data. If i recall correctly their order will go Beam Sword, Home-Run Bat, Fan, Star Rod, Lip Stick. These offsets start later in the file (around offset 6000 in the character files).

Brandondorf9999

Smash Cadet
Not to mention i even tried to change the color of the falcon punch but i was trying to make all of his fire into dark captain falcon punch, raptor boost, Falcon Kick and Falcon Dive so that he has more fire. Its this i used to make it so that he can burn with his darkness.

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?gjwd30rukddrk3v
Replaces PlCa.dat

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Good to hear Lance! I've also had a recent urge to start hacking again and trying to complete an ISO but the stuff you do is way beyond me. Looking forward to the future!

Brandondorf9999

Smash Cadet
Thata great but i usually love darkness because darkness is really fire and that one is the chemical that comes from evilness from the evil characters.

Lanceinthepants

Smash Lord
Non-Charging Body Aura Effects Guide

Introduction:

Hey guys, I haven't really done anything lately. This was basically sitting half finished on my computer and I just never got around to it. Most likely some other hackers already know this information, but I figured I'd post it anyway. It helps if you have Masterhand for this, so use the download link below.

Things you will need:

1. Hex Editor (I use HxD)
2. GCTool/GCRebuilder
3. Dolphin Emulator
4. Masterhand (Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?6qp9ou0w6uh7tqo)

Step One: Understanding the Data

A lot of moves in the game will change to color/lighting of a character when they do a certain attack (Marth's Side-B, Mario's Fireball, etc.). This guide will teach you how to change that effect using the other effects in the game. These effects are very similar to the effects in the Charging Smash Attacks Effects Guide. The list of the effects can be found below. Each effect is only 2 bytes long.

Step Two: Finding the Data

To find this data in dat files (Pl**.dat of that character's ** indicator), use Masterhand for the corresponding move you want to change. In this example, I will be changing Mario's Fireball. I open up PlMr.dat in the Masterhand and look for the Mario's Fireball (Under Special moves). The Body Aura will be under one of the Unknown offsets starting with B8 or B9. You will find that this offset is located at 3500 in PlMr.dat for Mario's standing fireball. Change that to any of the effects below and congratulations you changed a body aura!

Effects:

B8 00 - Nothing
B8 04 - Nothing
B8 08 - White Flashing Aura (doesn't stop)
B8 0C - Yellow Flashing Aura (doesn't stop)
B8 10 - Brief White Aura
B8 14 - Flashing White Aura
B8 18 - Flashing Black Aura
B8 1C - Lens flare below character
B8 20 - Healing Aura (doesn't stop)
B8 24 - Slow White Flashing Aura (doesn't stop)
B8 28 - Ful White aura that fades to nomral
B8 2C - Fire Aura (shortest)
B8 30 - Fire Aura
B8 34 - Fire Aura
B8 38 - Fire Aura (longest)
B8 3C - Electric Aura(shortest)
B8 40 - Electric AUra
B8 44 - Electric Aura
B8 48 - Electric Aura(longest)
B8 4C - Flashing Black and Electric Aura
B8 50 - Flashing Black and Electric Aura
B8 54 - Flashing Black and Electric Aura
B8 58 - Flashing Black and Electric Aura
B8 5C - Flashing Black and Electric Aura
B8 60 - Flashing Black and Electric Aura
B8 64 - Flashing Black and Electric Aura
B8 68 - Flashing Black and Electric Aura
B8 6C - Flashing Black and Electric Aura
B8 70 - Flashing Black and Electric Aura
B8 74 - Flashing Black and Electric Aura
B8 78 - Flashing Black and Electric Aura
B8 7C - Brief Blue Aura
B8 80 - Nothing
B8 84 - Nothing
B8 88 - Nothing
B8 8C - Darkness Aura (shortest)
B8 90 - Darkness Aura
B8 94 - Darkness Aura
B8 98 - Darkness Aura (longest)
B8 9C - Dark Red Aura
B8 A0 - Longer Dark Red Aura
B8 A4 - Pink Aura
B8 A8 - Longer Pink Aura
B8 AC - Black Tint Aura
B8 B0 - Brief Red Aura
B8 B4 - Flashing Yellow Aura
B8 B8 - Flashing Bluegreen Aura
B8 BC - Flashing Yellow Aura that glows more and more over time
B8 C0 - Full Yellow Aura that fades to normal
B8 C4 - Long Orange Aura
B8 C8 - Flashing Bluegreen Aura
B8 CC - Brief Yellow Aura
B8 D0 - Brief White Aura
B8 D4 - Flashing White Aura with blue lens flares
B8 D8 - Flashing White Aura with blue lens flare
B8 DC - Brief Yellow Aura
B8 E0 - Brief Yellow/Orange Aura
B8 E4 - white Aura with White Cloud above character
B8 E8 - White Aura with White Clouds around character
B8 EC - Flashing Aura with Lots of Lens Flares (Like using a bat)
B8 F0 - Slow Flashing White Aura
B8 F4 - Slow Flashing White Aura
B8 F8 - Faster Flashing White Aura
B8 FC - Dark Red Aura that progressively becomes brighter
B9 00 - Flashing Dark Red Aura
B9 04 - White w/ Electric Effects
B9 08 - Nothing
B9 0C - Flashing Electric Effects
B9 10 - Fast Flashing White w/ Electric Effects
B9 14 - Flashing Blue Aura with Electric Effects and Lens Flares
B9 18 - Fast Flashing White Aura
B9 1C - Firey Glow from Behind
B9 20 - Fast Flashing Yellow Aura
B9 24 - Purple Glow from the Front
B9 28 - Brief Teal Aura
B9 2C - Flashing Bluegreen Aura with Electric Effects at feet
B9 30 - Flashing Green Aura with Big Lens Flares
B9 34 - Full Black Aura
B9 38 - Brief Dark Red Aura
B9 3C - Very Brief Light Blue Aura
B9 40 - Whiter and Whiter Aura over time
B9 44 - White Aura that fades to normal
B9 48 - Flashing Blue Glow from the Front
B9 4C - Brief Red/Orange Aura
B9 50 - Greener and Greener Aura over time
B9 54 - Fast Flashing Orange Aura
B9 58 - Fast Flashing White Aura
B9 5C - Fast Flashing White Aura
B9 60 - Brief Green Aura
B9 64 - Flashing Aura with Lens Flares and Stars
B9 68 - Flashing Aura with more Lens Flares and Stars
B9 6C - Pink Glow from the Front
B9 70 - Flashing White Aura with Darkness effect on Left Hand
B9 74 - Flashing White Aura with Darkness effect on Right Hand
B9 78 - Flashing Purple/Pink Aura
B9 7C - Brief Blue Aura
B9 80 - Faint Pink Glow from Behind
B9 84 - Flashing White and Pink Aura
B9 88 - Brief Full White Aura
B9 8C - Brief White Aura -> Faint Blue Aura
B9 90 - Faint Red Aura
B9 94 - Full Black Aura that fades to Normal
B9 98 - Black Aura
B9 9C - Nothing
B9 A0 - Red/Orange Aura over time
B9 A4 - Dark Red Aura
B9 A8 - Flashing Red and White Aura with Cloud Effects (Lasts for along time)
B9 AC - Flashing White with Stars and Lens Flares (Lasts for along time)
B9 B0 - Sparkles shoot behind character
B9 B4 - Flashing Red and Yellow Aura with Lens Flares
B9 B8 - Nothing
B9 BC - Very Brief White Aura
B9 C0 - Orange Aura that ends with Firey Glow from the Front
B9 C4 - Green Glow that moves from Front to Back
B9 C8 - Red Aura
B9 CC - Blue Aura
B9 D0 - Green Aura
B9 D4 - White Aura
B9 D8 - Flashing White and Pink Aura with Smoke Effects on the ground
B9 DC - Flashing Yellow Aura
B9 E0 - Brief White Aura
B9 E4 - Brief White Aura with Star Effects
B9 E8 - Flashing Dark Red Aura (Lasts for along time)
B9 EC - Nothing

I made this quickly so if anything isn't very clear just ask me.

Steelia

Smash Champion
^ Still need to test that. :b

@Lanceinthepants,
I tried changing those EfPkData.dat offsets you have in the op (offset 164), and I either get something like this:

or a white box in the middle, when using the same colors as you did for the test (00 00 00 and FF 00 00 for black and red). Is that where the aerial B starts, or am I doing something wrong...?

Lanceinthepants

Smash Lord
Whoops, yea that was a typo it should be 166, and you input the colors after the format header which will be CF ## or DF ##. The picture of the hex above it actually goes along with EfPkData.dat

Steelia

Smash Champion
The lack of Mewtwo on post #2 is unacceptable.
Here's some random stuff I found for him...

PlMt.dat

070707 format:

100b0 - FF FF FF 00 00 00 FF 00 (center of Shadow Ball when thrown)
102d0 - FF FF FF 00 00 7F FF 00 (inner Shadow Ball bolt)
10390 - FF FF FF 00 00 7F FF 00 (inner Shadow Ball bolt)
10450 - FF FF FF 00 00 7F FF 00 (inner Shadow Ball bolt)
10510 - FF FF FF 00 00 7F FF 00 (inner Shadow Ball bolt)
105d0 - FF FF FF 00 00 00 FF 00 (center of Shadow Ball charging)

EfMtData.dat

070707 format:

c758 - 66 00 CC 00 00 00 00 00 (Up Smash swirl)
cd30 - FF A9 FF 00 33 00 66 00 (Forward Smash burst)
cdfc - FF 7F FF 00 00 00 00 FF (Forward Smash burst)
d994 - E5 FF FF 00 66 00 66 00 (Up-B flash)
da54 - E5 FF FF 00 66 00 66 00 (Up-B flash)
dbe0 - FF FF FF 00 00 00 FF 00 (Up-B light)

42 48 format:

c7c4 - 80 80 80 FF 00 00 00 FF (Up Smash mist)
da00 - 80 80 80 FF FF FF FF FF (Up-B flash right side)
dac0 - 80 80 80 FF FF FF FF FF (Up-B flash left side)

I'll dig around for more later. Right now I'm testing out the Master Hand program with those B specials, works well so far. (=

@dexia:

When you open PlMr.dat in Master Hand, click the "Subactions" tab. You'll see a list on the left, a list of all of Mario's animations/moves. Scroll all the way to the bottom, and you'll see his "Special" (B) moves.

SpecialN = B
SpecialS = Side-B
SpecialHi = Up-B
SpecialLow = Down-B

When you click on one of those, you'll see another list. Anything named "!Unknown" is what you're looking for. Click on one, and check to see if the data on the right starts with
HexString: B8 ##
or
HexString: B9 ##
Those are the moves you want to change. (=

Unfortunately, I don't think you can change them in Master Hand... so you'll have to open the .DAT file in some other program, look for those HexString offsets, and edit them yourself that way.

Top Bottom