• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Challenger Approaching!!! ROY!! .PAC UP!!!! 12/7/09 at 3:36 AM EST

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
What other slash sfx are there?

There's Ike's, MK's, Pit's, G&W's turtle. Which one would fit the best?
The pitch modifier will already edit the sound effects, so it shouldn't matter.

Also, am I the only one who feels that Roy's recovery is too bad? I know it's supposed to suck, but looking at where Roy can be in order for him to die from falling to his death, it's just a little ridiculous. Perhaps make his Up-B go a little higher?
You probably aren't, but you also aren't the only one who will be told that it's fine as is. Depending on how the rest of his character develops, I think it might actually need to be a little bit worse than it is now. I love that he is an absolute beast onstage but gets wrecked the moment he's off of it. It's very suiting to his character, not to mention a great balancing factor.

And could we get a complete chagelist for Roy, as in what made him wht he is?
That would be convenient, to say the least. I'm getting sick of having to go to the code to find out how something was changed. I'll work with gog on getting a changelist out soon.

EDIT: As for the size thing, making Roy smaller would make his voice have a higher pitch. He'd sound even more girly. =/

Do we have a pitch editor or something? Also, the texture needs to be redone so that Roy doesn't have that ****ing tiara.
If you hadn't guessed already from the rest of my post... yes, we do, and we plan on using it to tone down his voice and sword sound effects. It still needs to be made character specific, though.

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I was dreading the change list question...

It a lot of work. Especially since I recently just cleaned up my document containing all the changes. Which means I got rid of all the lines I wrote about what I changed. I know, bad move.

Roy's recovery needs to suck more, if anything. He's epic good. Devastating combos. Good killers and setups. Great range and priority. More spikes than the average Dr. Robotnik vehicle. PHIAR.

On a completely unrelated note, Roy's Ken Combo (hereby known as the Ryu Combo by no one except me) is beast. >_>

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
On a completely unrelated note, Roy's Ken Combo (hereby known as the Ryu Combo by no one except me) is beast. >_>
Yeah well, Roy's REVERSE ken combo (which I just thought of just now) is even more beast.

Ledgehop tipped fair->shdair. **** you edgeguarders!

Sora Master2.0

Smash Journeyman
Try getting a csp and if in the future we can get audio to play during a chracter instead of the normal one, we could have the announcer say roy stead of marth. But thats somethinh not neeeded but cool it would be.

cAm8ooo

Smash Lord
Yeah well, Roy's REVERSE ken combo (which I just thought of just now) is even more beast.

Ledgehop tipped fair->shdair. **** you edgeguarders!
odd. I just recorded me doing such combo about 3 hours ago on a computer. I plan on putting it up tomorrow. Great minds think alike i suppose. Reverse Ken combo ftw.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Huh? Marth's brawl fsmash hits on frame 10 and ends frame 49 (39 frames of lag). As in... it only hits on frame 10
This is incorrect.
The frame data on the Marth boards has humongous holes due to Steel's laziness, I've informed him of many mistakes but he can't be bothered to really change them.

Marth's fsmash hits from AT LEAST frames 10-12. Perhaps 13 as well.

Rouenne

Smash Apprentice
Three questions:

-Is it possible to change his hair texture to resemble his original style?
-Does this Roy use voice clips of Jun Fukuyama or it has Marth's voice?
-Is the issue of having Roy OR Marth been solved? I mean is possible to have both in game?

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Three questions:

-Is it possible to change his hair texture to resemble his original style?
-Does this Roy use voice clips of Jun Fukuyama or it has Marth's voice?
-Is the issue of having Roy OR Marth been solved? I mean is possible to have both in game?
1. We need a model importer. Then we could use Roy's Melee model, possibly retexture it accordingly.

2. It's Marth's voice. I think the only way to have his old clips back is to recompile the sound .brsar and have that special brsar run only when Roy is selected (in the future). Pretty unrealistic unfortunately. =(

So...people are trying to do a Roy-specific voice pitch mod instead.

3. Currently you can either only use Roy or only use Marth.

JCentavo

Smash Cadet
Couldn't we just mute Marth's voice without it muting his sfx?
Also, I think it's best to leave the model alone (aside from textures) and wait until we're able to port Roy's model in.

Awesome Roy-type Marth btw.
I played with this for a very long time.

Edit:
Idk wtf this guy did to his copy of Brawl; he says it's corrupted
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQhlMOtzjsI (fast forward to 2:32)
It has some voices and sfx missing.

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
This is incorrect.
The frame data on the Marth boards has humongous holes due to Steel's laziness, I've informed him of many mistakes but he can't be bothered to really change them.

Marth's fsmash hits from AT LEAST frames 10-12. Perhaps 13 as well.
Hm... interesting. Good to know. I'll have to take another look at editing roy's fsmash in that case.

I don't suppose you know when the hitbox frames end on usmash?

Magus420

Smash Master
The f-smash probably also hits on 13 as well, since every other number on the move appears to be reused from his Melee one. If that's the case it likely hits similar to this still:

If it doesn't hit on 13 it's probably more like Roy's was where it doesn't have that last hit frame and only reached below the edge for 1 frame. Either way, on a move like this with such fast movement during the hotboxes it'd be especially important which frames are included. If it doesn't begin/end at the earliest point or end after he's done moving it wouldn't cover the full range of motion.

Also, the interpolated frames that are created between those 2 end points would have a really big effect on the overall shape of the hitboxes created through movement (assuming it still does movement of duration hitboxes by connecting the previous frame with the current one).

For example, if in Melee Marth's f-smash were able to be changed to 2.0x speed from frame 10-12, 0.5x from 12-13, then 1.0x on 13+ it would (I think?) hit for the same number of frames, but have far less range/coverage and hit furthest along the floor since the new hit frames would be:

1) Normal frame 10 position above his head.
2) Normal frame 12 position along the floor, and connects with the hotboxes in "1)", forming a triangle which cuts out a LOT of the area shown in the upper left which used to be there.
3) Halfway between the normal frame 12 and 13 positions, which is pretty much in the same spot along the floor, and connects with the hitboxes in "2)", and the attack is now pretty much only hitting along the floor and inside his body.
4) Normal frame 13 position along the floor, and connects with the hitboxes in "3)", resulting in pretty much the same coverage as in 3)

It would end up looking like this instead:

The non-tipper hit would actually end up sticking out farther in that one spot than the tipper hitbox.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
Hey cool, my Roy match got linked in the original post :)
I'll probably stay over at DrewBear's house tonight to get more matches uploaded. I'll download the most current Roy update as well.

Christopher Rodriguez

The illest Project M Bowser
I give up :/

this isn't compatable with snapshots im pretty sure. I'm getting all the other hitbox changes with bowser's fire fsmash and such but nothing with roy, its just regular marth

unless those codes in the scrollbox dont have the roy changes..

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
I give up :/

this isn't compatable with snapshots im pretty sure. I'm getting all the other hitbox changes with bowser's fire fsmash and such but nothing with roy, its just regular marth

unless those codes in the scrollbox dont have the roy changes..

lolwut.

Roy is compatible with snapshots. I know. I have to use snapshots for B+.

lol HDD loader.

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
Just played a ton of matches as roy with DS (yayyuz roy dittos), and got a bunch of good replays.

Here's my thoughts on roy after today:

Nair is amazing.

Fair should be dropped down to 75 growth, and I'd also like to try 30 base on it. Angle is golden, though.

Dtilt tip needs to hit toward roy. DS was occasionally using this move the same way you would use marth's dtilt, and I think that it should be given more differentiation than that. Really... "stop playing marth." There are two things I'm thinking we could do with dtilt. Either make it about the same way fair is right now except with way less growth, or we could make it hit behind him for starting some techchasing, which would be equally as cool. The current dtilt tip does 7 damage, has 42 growth and 50 base, and has a 30 degree angle. I'm thinking for the first option to drop its growth to 21 or so, drop its base down to 35, and change the angle to 120. For the second option, you'd need 70 base and around a 140 or 150 degree angle, again dropping growth to 21.

Uair tip should be given the 0F attack ID, since as it is now, it affords next to no hitstun, allowing the foe to act before he even reaches the floor after one. Alternatively (or possibly additionally) the move should be drastically sped up, so that roy can perform multiple uairs in quick succession. The first one should be top priority, though, since speeding it up too much could end up being very un-roy-like.

Fsmash needs to be retweaked, but we already knew that.

Usmash needs major reworking. The side hitboxes do nothing, which really just kinda... sucks. I know I've noted before that I need to redo the frame speed mod on this one due to it looking awkward, but I figured I'd mention it again.

Bair tip should probably have some more growth. I'm thinking move it up to around 40 or 50.

DS will probably disagree with this, but I think Dsmash wants a couple frames less lag. Somewhere between 3 and 5 is what I was thinking. The move hits at such a nice combo trajectory, but you just barely can't combo off of it.

And then of course the specials barring blazer all need work, but that's a given. Speaking of which, blazer is awesome.

edit: Oh yeah, utilt needs more growth and dash attack needs to be useful.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
lol someone get sethlon and NEO. Hell, get Rukkio too.

btw, I tried Roy out. He's not joking, boys. ;D
Somebody called? I'ma actually try this out tonight, looks nice. But this is too easy for players to dominate, no spacing is required unless your pressuring shields LOL

Good work GOG =]

Gregory2590

Smash Journeyman
NNID
phireblast
Probably have been brought up already but Roy's B attack is OP lololol. 2 second charge+OHKO=WAT

cAm8ooo

Smash Lord
Uair tip should be given the 0F attack ID, since as it is now, it affords next to no hitstun, allowing the foe to act before he even reaches the floor after one.
I suggested this exact same thing a couple pages back and no one seemed to care, maybe it will hold more merit since you have said it :dizzy: lol

bajisci

Smash Ace
Ah alright, how about making it weak till like halfway or 3/4 charge and then it just exponentially gets really strong ><

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Leafgreen, the up smash is extremely annoying.

I think the first hitbox is on frame 12 (the feet), the feet hitbox lasts for 2+ frames.
Then the sword hitbox IIRC lasts for 3? or so frames (from frame 12).
Hit Frame ?1 has it at 21% damage, I -am pretty sure- it's not possible to combo the feet hitbox into the most damaging hitbox.
Hit Frame ?2 has it at 17% (also the tipper is always 17%) damage. You can also combo this from the feet, doing the 21% through two hits (feet + blade).
Hit Frame ?3 has it at 14%, You will most likely get the 3rd hit, doing a total 17% (feet + blade).

Top Bottom