• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Challenger Approaching!!! ROY!! .PAC UP!!!! 12/7/09 at 3:36 AM EST

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
F-smash at half speed from frame 8 to frame 11. Then it goes back to normal till frame 19 where is at half speed.
If that was the change made, then the move would suck horribly. You'd probably be able to punish a tip on hit by teching it and hitting him in his lag. What the change should read is the move being put at half speed, then put at 2x speed, then set back to normal.

VietGeek, feel free to edit if you want, but I should have a new gct up late tonight or tomorrow afternoon. I plan to:

* Fix U-smash. I don't know how, but I will
* Fine tune F-air
* Fix U-air tip
* Tweak the F-smash frames...AGAIN!
* Give B-air tip some growth

Things people want, but I'm probably not gonna do:

* D-tilt tip. Not every move has to hit in and D-tilt is one of his best moves. Space it right and you won't see the tip as much.
* Nerf B-air. It doesn't combo into anything if the opponent has good DI, and if you can combo into it, it's not at kill percentage.
I'd be glad to work on usmash and fsmash some more tomorrow (well I guess technically today, but whatever).

As for dtilt, I think the techchase setup version would be fine on it. If he wants to combo off of the move he'd still need to space it right for the blade, and a lot of the time he'd still rather be hitting with the blade hit.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=99187

This is the thead I'll be using for my frame changes on DED. It's a very detailed frame data thread that includes hitbox durations, window lags, landing lags, and even miscelanous stuff like Roy's airtime during full jumps and shorthops, both with and without fast falling.

Looking over said thread, it looks like some of Roy's attacks should be meatier (slow them down while the hitboxes are out, and speed them back up to their previous speed afterwards). This would not only make the animations look a little slower (and feel more like Roy), but would also increase their effectiveness for punishing dodges. The attacks in question are:

jab, d-smash, nair, and uair (f-smash has already been fixed and upsmash and up B are total reworks anyway). Gonna ask leaf to help me with the DED frame changes (someone gave me a good idea of how to slow it down)

Also, can I get the txt file for the latest Roy set? I want to add in the debug pause code so I can do some frame data testing after my changes (trying to make them look pretty, but still be the frame windows I want).

camelot

Smash Ace
This is really nit-picky, but do you think you could change the hit sound effects of slashes? i.e. f-smash tip still sounds like a strong, impaling hit, but the middle is still the slash sound. I know it is really not top priority, but maybe you could get around to it.

These are the sound effects:

06200000 Slash (weak)
46200000 Slash (medium)
86800000 Slash (heavy)
90A00000 Impale/strong fire (they're the same thing)

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
By the way, I am 100% certain Marth has as singular hit that does 21% base damage.

It also has 16 frames of CINEMATIC hit lag (the normal tip that does 17% does not incur cinematic hitlag).
It hits on frame 12, and it seems only available on frame 12. It's Roy styled alright, not even the tip, does more damage, and 'better' hit lag (lol).

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
By the way, I am 100% certain Marth has as singular hit that does 21% base damage.

It also has 16 frames of CINEMATIC hit lag (the normal tip that does 17% does not incur cinematic hitlag).
It hits on frame 12, and it seems only available on frame 12. It's Roy styled alright, not even the tip, does more damage, and 'better' hit lag (lol).
Interesting. So when giza gets the hitbox data, I guess we'll just add fire? lol

LuigiKing: You set this up the same way you would set up the plussery set except that you use this gct instead of the normal one. Meaning, you need geckoOS 1.9. Make sure you have the gameconfig.txt file in the root of your sd card, as well.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Well, as it's cinematic hitlag, I wonder if there's a set motion you can make the character do in those 16 frames?

Like, doing a semi-circle around -Roy-, or zigzags, haha!

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Well, as it's cinematic hitlag, I wonder if there's a set motion you can make the character do in those 16 frames?

Like, doing a semi-circle around -Roy-, or zigzags, haha!
Pretty sure cinematic hitlag is also reduced by the constant hitlag mod, so those frames are dropped to 8 or so frames.

Just keep dreaming Shaya. It'll come true in 16 or so years. o_O

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
GoG, I need the txt file!. I want to add the debug pause code to test some things (like invincibility on the new up B, frames that the hits of DED can chain into the next attack, ect, ect.) Please send me the txt file.

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
Sorry guys, I've been gone and lazy for two days. WoW stuff mostly. People in Ulduar, Mimiron is a *****! Anyway, I'll PM you the text DS. And I promise I'll actually make the changes I promised a while back. The hitstun ID IS NOT on the U-air tip in the current downloaded set, I added figuring I would have actually done this stuff by now.

RoyMaster4

Smash Apprentice
Uhm... this is my first time playing Brawl+, so I don't know what to think. It's really weird.

RoyMaster4

Smash Apprentice
Oh well. Um...Enjoy?

We'd still like input compared to Melee Roy though.
Well, I think some of his attacks are a bit fast compared to Melee Roy (Like FSmash), and I remember the up smash doing a bunch of hits instead of just 1 hit. Also, didnt the >B help him recover in the air?

Well, I haven't played Melee in a while, either...

Aesthetic

Smash Cadet
I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but I've read the thread and I didn't find anything on it, but is there a PAL version for this?

Again, I'm sorry if this has been brought up before.

RoyMaster4

Smash Apprentice
Is there any way to JUST get the Roy edits to Marth? I really hate Brawl+ at this point, and if I have to have it in order to get these edits for Roy, I'm just not going to use it.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Is there any way to JUST get the Roy edits to Marth? I really hate Brawl+ at this point, and if I have to have it in order to get these edits for Roy, I'm just not going to use it.

Bring that up with GoG, though imo, there is little point in trying Roy in normal Brawl as

1. he was designed for B+
2. He'd be really, really, REALLY bad in Brawl.

Liquid Gen

Smash Ace
My friend made a GCT with Roy in vBrawl. He isn't bad but the little quirks about him (aside from hitboxes) are missing. His recovery lot better, fast fall, etc. is just Marth's.

RoyMaster4

Smash Apprentice
Refer to post 391 and 392.
*Reads those*
Except that I don't care about combos at all, that's why I play Brawl over Melee (Well, unless I'm Sonic or Ice Climbers). Even if he would suck, I still would use him as long as he plays like he did in Melee (Namely his smashes and B moves).

*Goes back to normal brawl for now*

cAm8ooo

Smash Lord
*Reads those*
Except that I don't care about combos at all, that's why I play Brawl over Melee (Well, unless I'm Sonic or Ice Climbers). Even if he would suck, I still would use him as long as he plays like he did in Melee (Namely his smashes and B moves).

*Goes back to normal brawl for now*
The point was that all Roy has going for him is combos, that's what he is based off of and since there is no hitstun he literally gets punished for connecting with several of his moves. If you dont mind playing a sucky character tho then have it im just trying to prepare you for a new vbrawl CF. :psycho:

RoyMaster4

Smash Apprentice
The point was that all Roy has going for him is combos, that's what he is based off of and since there is no hitstun he literally gets punished for connecting with several of his moves. If you dont mind playing a sucky character tho then have it im just trying to prepare you for a new vbrawl CF. :psycho:
Except that vBrawl CF is fine with me. I mainly just used his strongest attacks over and over again in melee anyways, and still won against most of my friends...

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Except that vBrawl CF is fine with me. I mainly just used his strongest attacks over and over again in melee anyways, and still won against most of my friends...

Huh. Well thats nice.

But you still have to talk to Goodoldganon about getting just the changes for Roy. :V

bleyva

Smash Ace
so your friends would just sit there and let you falcon punch em? sounds fun

Steelia

Smash Champion
so your friends would just sit there and let you falcon punch em? sounds fun
If they're not good at the game, sure, why not? :chuckle:

In any case, an "altered" Roy to be used in other versions of Brawl (original, vBrawl) would be an interesting project. I hear he... wouldn't be a very good character because of it... but hey.

Just out of curiosity, why wouldn't he be good? He seems like a very quick character in Brawl+, unless you're suggesting you'd have to slow him down even more (difference between C. Falcon and Ganondorf?).

Revven

FrankerZ
If they're not good at the game, sure, why not? :chuckle:

In any case, an "altered" Roy to be used in other versions of Brawl (original, vBrawl) would be an interesting project. I hear he... wouldn't be a very good character because of it... but hey.

Just out of curiosity, why wouldn't he be good? He seems like a very quick character in Brawl+, unless you're suggesting you'd have to slow him down even more (difference between C. Falcon and Ganondorf?).
Everything Brawl+ does it speed up the game (hitstun, dash speed, hitlag etc.) when you take all that away, Roy is slow, has high gravity, and won't be able to combo at all or make use of his tips really well (since they were designed with hitstun in mind). Someone would have to create a different Roy code set for regular Brawl, seeing as how the tips wouldn't do much for Roy in Brawl.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
No, that's too laggy. I needed something quick and powerful, so Roy's FSmash fit the bill.

*Waits for a normal Brawl Roy*
Basically, your friends allow you to get right up on them to hit with Roy's hilt repeatedly?

Eh, w/e. As gog said, a vBrawl Roy will be worked on after this Roy is done. He will suck, but he's there in regular Brawl's physics.

D

Deleted member

can we make a roy that is just a perfect copy of melee roy?

Top Bottom