• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Breaking the Ice - Ice Climbers DLC Discussion Thread - Under New Ownership!

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
No new Ice type attacks :')
If you look at my secondary's down I have picked up a lot since Brawl.
Oh I see

But Ness has Pk freeze as a custom. I know it's not the same, but at least it is something.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Can't use it online......woe is me :')
DLC.
DLC for the flipping win. Only way ICies are gonna be in there now. I have no idea what (as we just got a Smash Direct, so a new one is unlikely), but I know they're going to do something BIG for Smash Wii U release in NA. Maybe more DLC confirmations, a few more stages we haven't seen yet etc. Hope to see ICies then, or on their anniversary, as DLC.

Sm4sher69

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3325-3958-0591
DLC for the flipping win. Only way ICies are gonna be in there now. I have no idea what (as we just got a Smash Direct, so a new one is unlikely), but I know they're going to do something BIG for Smash Wii U release in NA. Maybe more DLC confirmations, a few more stages we haven't seen yet etc. Hope to see ICies then, or on their anniversary, as DLC.
Maybe a new year direct or something, I mean it's the same month as their anniversary.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
There's no reason to believe that the technical problems that prevented the Ice Climbers from getting in can actually be solved. I see lots of people suggesting that the developers just need more time to implement them, and that feels very naïve to me.

The 3DS simply cannot support the Ice Climbers in their present form. You can see the writing on the wall. You can only have one Pokemon or Assist Trophy on screen at once, and Multi-Man Smash is limited to 6 characters on screen at once, even when you play co-cooperatively with another human player (compared to in Brawl, where co-op Multi Man keeps all 5 enemies for a total of 7 on-screen characters at a time).

If technical limitations were not an issue, I would agree that Ice Climbers are likely for DLC. But that's just not the case. The only chance they have is if they get released as Wii U or New 3DS exclusive DLC, and while I personally think that's a great idea, tons of people seem opposed to the very idea of DLC that the normal 3DS won't get.

The question we have to ask ourselves is would Nintendo spend the money to make Wii U exclusive DLC, alienating and angering the larger half of the fanbase (and yes, no matter how well the Wii U version sells, the 3DS version will sell more), when they could spend the same amount of money on a character that can be played on both consoles, angering no one and allowing over twice as much theoretical sales?

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
Really, the fact that moving stages have to stop when somebody summons Snorlax is all you need to know about technical limitations.

J04KlM

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pichu4SSB4
3DS FC
4940-5417-1674
There's no reason to believe that the technical problems that prevented the Ice Climbers from getting in can actually be solved. I see lots of people suggesting that the developers just need more time to implement them, and that feels very naïve to me.

The 3DS simply cannot support the Ice Climbers in their present form. You can see the writing on the wall. You can only have one Pokemon or Assist Trophy on screen at once, and Multi-Man Smash is limited to 6 characters on screen at once, even when you play co-cooperatively with another human player (compared to in Brawl, where co-op Multi Man keeps all 5 enemies for a total of 7 on-screen characters at a time).

If technical limitations were not an issue, I would agree that Ice Climbers are likely for DLC. But that's just not the case. The only chance they have is if they get released as Wii U or New 3DS exclusive DLC, and while I personally think that's a great idea, tons of people seem opposed to the very idea of DLC that the normal 3DS won't get.

The question we have to ask ourselves is would Nintendo spend the money to make Wii U exclusive DLC, alienating and angering the larger half of the fanbase (and yes, no matter how well the Wii U version sells, the 3DS version will sell more), when they could spend the same amount of money on a character that can be played on both consoles, angering no one and allowing over twice as much theoretical sales?
The problem with Ice Climbers being on the 3DS is the fact that both Popo and Nana have their own individual AI's, as 4 IC players would be an overload of how many complex AI's the 3DS can render at once. Pretty confident that's the problem, i see people suggesting make them 2D sprites on the 3DS version. But that's not the issue, the 3DS can render multiple character models on screen at once, it's the AI that's the problem. Smash Run proves this, as there are dozens of enemies on screen at once. Because their AI's are simple, player AI's on the other hand require a lot more hardware resources.

Though it is naïve and very optimistic to believe that they just didn't have time to make Ice Climbers work, it's not unreasonable. As Sakurai's wording when he addressed the situation really makes it sound like that was the case.

"I had the team innovate a lot to try and get them working, but we had to give up eventually."

This can in fact mean two things, either they gave up because there wasn't enough time, or they tried their hardest and it just did not work. And i think the latter would've taken up quite a lot of the development schedule of the game. Which is why i'm leaning towards the fact that they just did not have enough time.

I think Sakurai and the team should find a way to get Ice Climbers working on the 3DS version first, before they make any drastic decisions like making them exlusive DLC for Wii U and New 3DS. While that's not the worst idea, it's not the best one either. It would cause a weird split in the userbase of the game, like, how will the Ice Climbers work Online if they can only be played with the New 3DS? So if exclusive DLC were to become a decision, i put my money on Wii U exclusive DLC.

If Exclusive DLC were to become a thing for them, only a vocal minority would complain about it. But let's be real here, this happens with almost everything. Need i remind you, there were a group of people that protested against For Glory mode when it was first announced. So no doubt Exclusive DLC would cause the same uproar, but it'll die down eventually as people just get over it. Besides, i've actually seen more people want Ice Climbers as Wii U/New 3DS exclusive than naysayers.

What i really want to happen though, is that Smash for 3DS, the game as a whole, gets an upgraded re-release version made specifically for the New 3DS. With features and content that wasn't possible on the original 3DS, you can clearly see Smash for 3DS pushes the handheld to it's limit. (Extremely long boot up loading time, Home menu during game takes much longer than other games, Web Browser not available during game and etc.) Yet, it is still extremely far away from the Wii U version in what it offers. A new re-release version for New 3DS would be a great value, as it would make the handheld counterpart of the game much closer to the Wii U version. Upgraded re-releases is in Bandai Namco's blood, too. This would be the best way to get the Ice Climbers back. because the roster parity still consists within this decision.

But, i have been thinking a lot about this. What way is there to implement a working Ice Climbers to the 3DS without drastically changing them from their previous incarnations, such as splitting them into a solo Climber? Like i elaborated on earlier, the problem is more than likely the AI's they have. So i've come up with a concept that they could possibly use to fuse Popo and Nana's AI into one. Duck Hunt Duo is proof you can have two fully interactive character models in one AI.

I made these illustrations for my concept:

Tie Popo and Nana together. This way, they can share the same AI and are always in sync. Sure, this would eliminate the gimmick of Nana desyncing from Popo at times. But their core moveset would still be the very same.

^ How this execution would make them look during gameplay, Nana stands behind Popo instead of next to him like in previous games. To make sure you can see her visually, because they are completely in sync and Nana no longer desyncs during quick movements.

Anyway, that's just what i think, and what i came up with. I may be wrong in the end, but it's a risk i'm willing to take.

Last edited:

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
@ J04KlM J04KlM

The safety belt idea is pretty clever. In other threads, I had suggested the idea of scrapping Nana's individual AI altogether, and simply making her an extension of Popo that moves slightly after he does. So the character, while having two models, functions as one, just like Duck Hunt does. But the belt idea solves the one issue I had, which was that it makes no sense for Nana to go flying off the stage if only Popo gets hit.

J04KlM

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pichu4SSB4
3DS FC
4940-5417-1674
@ J04KlM J04KlM

The safety belt idea is pretty clever. In other threads, I had suggested the idea of scrapping Nana's individual AI altogether, and simply making her an extension of Popo that moves slightly after he does. So the character, while having two models, functions as one, just like Duck Hunt does. But the belt idea solves the one issue I had, which was that it makes no sense for Nana to go flying off the stage if only Popo gets hit.
Yeah, the safety belt keeps them in sync. So the knockback result is the same for both of them when only Popo gets hit or vice verca. It also makes perfect sense for how they could function at the ledge, Popo holds on to the ledge while Nana is hanging below him thanks to the belt.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
The problem with Ice Climbers being on the 3DS is the fact that both Popo and Nana have their own individual AI's, as 4 IC players would be an overload of how many complex AI's the 3DS can render at once. Pretty confident that's the problem, i see people suggesting make them 2D sprites on the 3DS version. But that's not the issue, the 3DS can render multiple character models on screen at once, it's the AI that's the problem. Smash Run proves this, as there are dozens of enemies on screen at once. Because their AI's are simple, player AI's on the other hand require a lot more hardware resources.

Though it is naïve and very optimistic to believe that they just didn't have time to make Ice Climbers work, it's not unreasonable. As Sakurai's wording when he addressed the situation really makes it sound like that was the case.

"I had the team innovate a lot to try and get them working, but we had to give up eventually."

This can in fact mean two things, either they gave up because there wasn't enough time, or they tried their hardest and it just did not work. And i think the latter would've taken up quite a lot of the development schedule of the game. Which is why i'm leaning towards the fact that they just did not have enough time.

I think Sakurai and the team should find a way to get Ice Climbers working on the 3DS version first, before they make any drastic decisions like making them exlusive DLC for Wii U and New 3DS. While that's not the worst idea, it's not the best one either. It would cause a weird split in the userbase of the game, like, how will the Ice Climbers work Online if they can only be played with the New 3DS? So if exclusive DLC were to become a decision, i put my money on Wii U exclusive DLC.

If Exclusive DLC were to become a thing for them, only a vocal minority would complain about it. But let's be real here, this happens with almost everything. Need i remind you, there were a group of people that protested against For Glory mode when it was first announced. So no doubt Exclusive DLC would cause the same uproar, but it'll die down eventually as people just get over it. Besides, i've actually seen more people want Ice Climbers as Wii U/New 3DS exclusive than naysayers.

What i really want to happen though, is that Smash for 3DS, the game as a whole, gets an upgraded re-release version made specifically for the New 3DS. With features and content that wasn't possible on the original 3DS, you can clearly see Smash for 3DS pushes the handheld to it's limit. (Extremely long boot up loading time, Home menu during game takes much longer than other games, Web Browser not available during game and etc.) Yet, it is still extremely far away from the Wii U version in what it offers. A new re-release version for New 3DS would be a great value, as it would make the handheld counterpart of the game much closer to the Wii U version. Upgraded re-releases is in Bandai Namco's blood, too. This would be the best way to get the Ice Climbers back. because the roster parity still consists within this decision.

But, i have been thinking a lot about this. What way is there to implement a working Ice Climbers to the 3DS without drastically changing them from their previous incarnations, such as splitting them into a solo Climber? Like i elaborated on earlier, the problem is more than likely the AI's they have. So i've come up with a concept that they could possibly use to fuse Popo and Nana's AI into one. Duck Hunt Duo is proof you can have two fully interactive character models in one AI.

Tie Popo and Nana together. This way, they can share the same AI and are always in sync. Sure, this would eliminate the gimmick of Nana desyncing from Popo at times. But their core moveset would still be the very same.

^ How this execution would make them look during gameplay, Nana stands behind Popo instead of next to him like in previous games. To make sure you can see her visually, because they are completely in sync and Nana no longer desyncs during quick movements.

Anyway, that's just what i think, and what i came up with. I may be wrong in the end, but it's a risk i'm willing to take.
Brilliant idea!

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787

I see your point, but I honestly disagree. I think it's fair to say they just didn't have enough time to implement them. This is how I believe the process went...

1. Try to get ICies to work on both versions of the game, early in development
2. ICies work on Wii U, but not on 3DS, and the team decides to work out these problems once more parts of the game(s) are completed.
3. By the time said parts of game(s) were completed, there wasn't enough time to solve the problems with ICies, and therefore they are (possibly) still working on fixing these bugs to get ICies in the game.

Also, I do believe the Wii U version is going to sell more. Now I haven't paid much attention to the 3DS version, but I know for a fact that the Wii U version has over 3.5 million pre-orders already. That's more pre-orders than Mario Kart 8 has copies sold! Over in Japan, I do think you're right that the 3DS version will most likely dominate, but in NA, I would think it's the Wii U version.

Last edited:

Sm4sher69

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3325-3958-0591
I see your point, but I honestly disagree. I think it's fair to say they just didn't have enough time to implement them. This is how I believe the process went...

1. Try to get ICies to work on both versions of the game, early in development
2. ICies work on Wii U, but not on 3DS, and the team decides to work out these problems once more parts of the game(s) are completed.
3. By the time said parts of game(s) were completed, there wasn't enough time to solve the problems with ICies, and therefore they are (possibly) still working on fixing these bugs to get ICies in the game.

Also, I do believe the Wii U version is going to sell more. Now I haven't paid much attention to the 3DS version, but I know for a fact that the Wii U version has over 3.5 million pre-orders already. That's more pre-orders than Mario Kart 8 has copies sold! Over in Japan, I do think you're right that the 3DS version will most likely dominate, but in NA, I would think it's the Wii U version.
The 3ds version has sold 3.2 million copies at the end of octobre. Not sure how much right now, but I guess around the 3.5 million.

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.

As a n artist I can safely say.
That is without a doubt one of the most cleverest thing I have ever seen :D
The 3ds version has sold 3.2 million copies at the end of octobre. Not sure how much right now, but I guess around the 3.5 million.
The 3ds has sold that amount.
Wii U isn't out yet and people already have it for sure.
The Wii U Should have had the regular ice climbers.
While 3ds had Sopo with a Nana alt
Keeps the rosters the same while offering a different "unique" experience for each player :)

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
As a n artist I can safely say.
That is without a doubt one of the most cleverest thing I have ever seen :D

The 3ds has sold that amount.
Wii U isn't out yet and people already have it for sure.
The Wii U Should have had the regular ice climbers.
While 3ds had Sopo with a Nana alt
Keeps the rosters the same while offering a different "unique" experience for each player :)
That'd be a great idea.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Never Give Up!! :popo::popo:
Definitely ready for Christmas DLC. Though I don't think it's likely, I think an announcement on their 30th anniversary is more probable. But, if we do get ICies DLC or ICies DLC announcement near Christmas, it'd be fine by me. It would fit so well!

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.
Definitely ready for Christmas DLC. Though I don't think it's likely, I think an announcement on their 30th anniversary is more probable. But, if we do get ICies DLC or ICies DLC announcement near Christmas, it'd be fine by me. It would fit so well!
It should be known as DIC....
For Downloadable Ice Climbers :') Seeing how they have already been in the game :D

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
I support the Ice Climbers return. Kinda coincidental i posting this at this time, because being from Minnesota, ITS REALLY COLD UP HERE, and that is what makes me wish the Ice Climbers weren't cut.

Besides, the ice climbers legitimately had no right to be cut from the game. They were the first retro characters ever added to Smash Bros.

But at the same time, I have read the article explaining why they were cut, but that doesn't stop me from believing they are possible as DLC, it only makes me think it would probably take a while to get right for the 3DS version.

cephalopod17

Smash Ace
NNID
cephalopod17
I don't know if I have posted here or not, but I fully support the Ice Climbers returning. I don't even play them, but them missing is like Marth or Falco missing. It just feels wrong.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Does anyone know how much data for the Ice Climbers is available on the actual Wii U Disc, in terms of future hacking purposes?
Perhaps Nintendo left all of it on in kindness for all the modifiers out there.

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard

Please, oh please get this noticed by Nintendo. This would be so wonderful! Their beylay could act as a tether too with Popo being able to pull up Nana like how he would do in Brawl if he made it on but she didnt :)

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Well all we can really do is wait till the Ice Climbers get announced as DLC. We have nothing new to talk about that could help the Ice Climbers chances, we already brought up the new 3DS possibility, what's left to discuss?

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I support the Ice Climbers return. Kinda coincidental i posting this at this time, because being from Minnesota, ITS REALLY COLD UP HERE, and that is what makes me wish the Ice Climbers weren't cut.

Besides, the ice climbers legitimately had no right to be cut from the game. They were the first retro characters ever added to Smash Bros.

But at the same time, I have read the article explaining why they were cut, but that doesn't stop me from believing they are possible as DLC, it only makes me think it would probably take a while to get right for the 3DS version.
This is so true. Plain and simple. It's just going to take some more time.

Support posts in a support thread?

What blasphemy is this?
:p Made my day.

Well all we can really do is wait till the Ice Climbers get announced as DLC. We have nothing new to talk about that could help the Ice Climbers chances, we already brought up the new 3DS possibility, what's left to discuss?
Honestly, not much, but this is one of the only places left for us ICies fans to discuss, so I think we should keep the conversation going while the possibility of ICies DLC is still out there.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
All we discuss is our opinions, with the exceptions of the actions we take (such as the Kremling Kampaign), nothing we do changes the "chances" at all. These things have happened or not. It's all or nothing, it isn't a level or percentage, those numbers are attributes of our personal beliefs toward situations.

Last edited:

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I don't think most people would mind if the Ice Climbers were Wii U-exclusive DLC. If we want to be a little more fair, the 3DS could get an exclusive character too. Or just a gimped Ice Climbers. It's not without precedent. Just look at 3DS Olimar; his Pikmin are more limited than in the Wii U version.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
I don't think most people would mind if the Ice Climbers were Wii U-exclusive DLC. If we want to be a little more fair, the 3DS could get an exclusive character too. Or just a gimped Ice Climbers. It's not without precedent. Just look at 3DS Olimar; his Pikmin are more limited than in the Wii U version.
Eh, I would still have about 45% of a problem with that. I'd personally prefer both versions to have the same roster than have to switch back and forth all so boringly.

Top Bottom