• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Breaking the Ice - Ice Climbers DLC Discussion Thread - Under New Ownership!

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
At the very least we still do have trophies and music from their series, thank goodness. Finally figured out what they're saying at the beginning of the "Ice Climber" song. "Hey guys! Ice Climber, huh? Well, all you gotta do, is climb the iceberg!" Irony: they couldn't climb up their Final Smash in Brawl...

Gee I miss these two. 3DS sucks. I mean, I didn't even see any commercials for it. And ever since the Wii U version came out, I've been seeing tons of commercials for it. I think even Nintendo knew the Wii U version was going to far outlast the 3DS version. Why not focus everything on the Wii U version and scrap the 3DS? Handheld Smash is a bad idea, and I hope Smash can go back to being a home-console game for Smash 5, if that ever happens.

AirShad

Smash Cadet
At the very least we still do have trophies and music from their series, thank goodness. Finally figured out what they're saying at the beginning of the "Ice Climber" song. "Hey guys! Ice Climber, huh? Well, all you gotta do, is climb the iceberg!" Irony: they couldn't climb up their Final Smash in Brawl...

Gee I miss these two. 3DS sucks. I mean, I didn't even see any commercials for it. And ever since the Wii U version came out, I've been seeing tons of commercials for it. I think even Nintendo knew the Wii U version was going to far outlast the 3DS version. Why not focus everything on the Wii U version and scrap the 3DS? Handheld Smash is a bad idea, and I hope Smash can go back to being a home-console game for Smash 5, if that ever happens.
I'm pretty sure we'll be seeing a smash 5... Just not sure when. Nintendo would be foolish not to make another after the amount of money Smash 4 made.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I'm pretty sure we'll be seeing a smash 5... Just not sure when. Nintendo would be foolish not to make another after the amount of money Smash 4 made.
Ya. Probably. I wonder if Sakurai will be making it. I'm sure he'll associate himself with the making of it, but I wonder if he will be the lead maker or whatever.

We'll most likely get ICies back in Smash 5, considering the backlash Nintendo got once people realized their characters weren't in the game. I mean, these cuts are even worse than the cuts from Melee to Brawl! At least those cuts were mostly clones...

Our cuts from Brawl to SSB4 are:

Semi-clones: :lucas::wolf:

Unique movesets: :popo::snake::ivysaur::squirtle:

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.
Let's look at the cuts and see what got justified.
Melee:
:younglinkmelee: :4tlink: Need I say more ?
:pichumelee:I wouldn't mind him returning now with the clone row. but even still from Melee to Brawl we got these :squirtle::ivysaur::4charizard:
:roypm:Miss him dearly he was the one and only red haired swordsman but alas :(:4lucina:and the void :4robinf::4myfriends:
:mewtwopm:In Brawl we got :4lucario:and then we got :4greninja:While still not replacing Mewtwo it at the very least filled the gap to his graceful return.
:4drmario:As we all know he got put back in so I really don't need to cover him but the void would have been filled by :4bowserjr:&:rosalina:
Brawl:
:snake:We got these two to fill the third party void :4megaman::4pacman: but the gameplay style and his cool voice is gone.
:squirtle:We got :4greninja: to fill the water vibe but the whole move-set is missing.
:ivysaur:The one and only character that really has no replacement for Pokémon as he was the only grass type and the only one to walk on all fours this character was never justified unless remade into Bayleaf or Grotle. Preferably Bayleaf to rep gen 2

Where is Krystal.....why was he cut..... he was more unique than:4falco: why was he the one to get the boot and why remake his bloody theme even though he was taken out not to mention the one from brawl is back. Now Star Fox has two reps and one of which who is near enough a clone unlike Wolf who was very much a unique character. Something smells fishy and the fact his model was remade for the Lylat cruise codecs, makes this more likely for his great return as DLC.
Why was Lucas cut.....(not because he was my 1st main in command) He was planned for Melee as was Wolf and he was fully intended to replace ness:4ness: so why take him out just after he got in. Not t mention the fact Mother now sits back at one rep which is ridiculous seeing how it's been here since the start. I really have high hopes for Lucas and Wolf to come next after Mewtwo simply because some of their moves are customs which leads me to believe they were planned but they were not top priority and didn't make it in the initial release I hope the two both return.
:popo:
These two..... their move-set......their music......their stage.......their gameplay style........their unique mechanic...........their Icon.......and their whole franchise.......Gone :'(
All we have to represent them is the Polar bear.... who by the way isn't even in the Wii U...... why can't they be exclusive who the hell would complain. Would someone really go off on one about a veteran ? These two where not justified not even In the slightest... If they don't return... Then congratulations we lost an entire franchise from Smash.

I feel they should all return but these guys really do deserve it most.

DecaHibiki

Smash Apprentice
Im from Mexico and the stage Temple has the name of "la cuspide" (The summit) in the spanish version, I cried.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Im from Mexico and the stage Temple has the name of "la cuspide" (The summit) in the spanish version, I cried.
Gosh dang it, I've almost had flipping enough with Nintendo. First we've got no representation in the English version, now they're taunting us in a different region!?!?

DANG YOU NINTENDO!

Let's look at the cuts and see what got justified.
Melee:
:younglinkmelee: :4tlink: Need I say more ?
:pichumelee:I wouldn't mind him returning now with the clone row. but even still from Melee to Brawl we got these :squirtle::ivysaur::4charizard:
:roypm:Miss him dearly he was the one and only red haired swordsman but alas :(:4lucina:and the void :4robinf::4myfriends:
:mewtwopm:In Brawl we got :4lucario:and then we got :4greninja:While still not replacing Mewtwo it at the very least filled the gap to his graceful return.
:4drmario:As we all know he got put back in so I really don't need to cover him but the void would have been filled by :4bowserjr:&:rosalina:
Brawl:
:snake:We got these two to fill the third party void :4megaman::4pacman: but the gameplay style and his cool voice is gone.
:squirtle:We got :4greninja: to fill the water vibe but the whole move-set is missing.
:ivysaur:The one and only character that really has no replacement for Pokémon as he was the only grass type and the only one to walk on all fours this character was never justified unless remade into Bayleaf or Grotle. Preferably Bayleaf to rep gen 2

Where is Krystal.....why was he cut..... he was more unique than:4falco: why was he the one to get the boot and why remake his bloody theme even though he was taken out not to mention the one from brawl is back. Now Star Fox has two reps and one of which who is near enough a clone unlike Wolf who was very much a unique character. Something smells fishy and the fact his model was remade for the Lylat cruise codecs, makes this more likely for his great return as DLC.
Why was Lucas cut.....(not because he was my 1st main in command) He was planned for Melee as was Wolf and he was fully intended to replace ness:4ness: so why take him out just after he got in. Not t mention the fact Mother now sits back at one rep which is ridiculous seeing how it's been here since the start. I really have high hopes for Lucas and Wolf to come next after Mewtwo simply because some of their moves are customs which leads me to believe they were planned but they were not top priority and didn't make it in the initial release I hope the two both return.
These two..... their move-set......their music......their stage.......their gameplay style........their unique mechanic...........their Icon.......and their whole franchise.......Gone :'(
All we have to represent them is the Polar bear.... who by the way isn't even in the Wii U...... why can't they be exclusive who the hell would complain. Would someone really go off on one about a veteran ? These two where not justified not even In the slightest... If they don't return... Then congratulations we lost an entire franchise from Smash.

I feel they should all return but these guys really do deserve it most.
After Mewtwo, those 3 do probably have the best chance for DLC. And the ICies problem wasn't even impossible to solve, I just now learned. It was a matter of time, so I do think we'll be seeing these guys in the future. If not, then...

We've always got NES Remix (ya, flipping NES REMIX! D:<). I want to swear so much right now...curse you Nintendo.

Without ICies, the roster is not complete. They're the only Melee veteran to make it to Brawl and not SSB4. And it's because of technical difficulties and time constraints. I know I wouldn't mind a bit if the game was held back for ICies to get in.

Sm4sher69

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3325-3958-0591
I've played smash wii u for the first time today (why did they have to give Europe one week later?!)
and it's just over 9000 times better than the 3ds version, there is just no way ypu can say the 3ds version is better than the wii u version.
Why did they have to make the 3ds version, just why?!?!?!?!?!

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
I've played smash wii u for the first time today (why did they have to give Europe one week later?!)
and it's just over 9000 times better than the 3ds version, there is just no way ypu can say the 3ds version is better than the wii u version.
Why did they have to make the 3ds version, just why?!?!?!?!?!
You think Europe as a whole got it bad...... I got the adapter and controller today.....
But this comes out next week......

I am extremely disappointed by Nintendo's utter stupidity....... just like the decision to leave out Ice climbers.
Edit: I honestly think the 3ds version is useless.... It ruined a Melee veteran
We get the one unique character that was lost through Brawl:mewtwopm:
But then that get's thrown out the window as that problem is now not fixed once again :popo:
DLC better come around.....
I miss my mains :'(:popo::lucas::wolf:

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
You think Europe as a whole got it bad...... I got the adapter and controller today.....
But this comes out next week......

I am extremely disappointed by Nintendo's utter stupidity....... just like the decision to leave out Ice climbers.
Edit: I honestly think the 3ds version is useless.... It ruined a Melee veteran
We get the one unique character that was lost through Brawl:mewtwopm:
But then that get's thrown out the window as that problem is now not fixed once again :popo:
DLC better come around.....
I miss my mains :'(:popo::lucas::wolf:
Wow, you're without the game and without your mains?!?! I feel sorry for you. I mean, I don't have the game, but at least 2/3 of my mains are coming back (sorry if I'm making you feel bad). Really, with Mewtwo being DLC, all I truly need is ICies DLC and my Smash Bros. for Wii U roster is complete.

But I'm not going to lie, getting Lucas and Wolf back too would be a really cool bonus.

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Wow, you're without the game and without your mains?!?! I feel sorry for you. I mean, I don't have the game, but at least 2/3 of my mains are coming back (sorry if I'm making you feel bad). Really, with Mewtwo being DLC, all I truly need is ICies DLC and my Smash Bros. for Wii U roster is complete.

But I'm not going to lie, getting Lucas and Wolf back too would be a really cool bonus.
It's the pain that keeps on giving. All the songs that connect to them, Star Wolf, the Mother 3 love song and both ice climbers songs. Not to mention the fact I would pay a truck load of money for these 3 in amiibo form:popo::lucas::wolf: Plus on top of that I have to suffer through that retched 3ds version which in my opinion was a waste of development and time because not seeing Magicant in HD really sucks :/
I hate the 3d version with a passion every time I lose I rip the thing from the 3ds and fire that damn cartridge half way across my room. The lack of c-stick is one of the many problems I have with it. In my opinion it's like the 3ds was a step back from Brawl. These two games should not have shared rosters especially if one is conflicting a characters chances :popo: these two were loved by tourney players and average players like myself. I see no one talking about 3d right now and it's only a matter of time until the Wii U completely dominates it. I can see these four coming back I just have to wait :'):popo::lucas::wolf:

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
quote="DoodleDuck97, post: 18080743, member: 264427"]It's the pain that keeps on giving. All the songs that connect to them, Star Wolf, the Mother 3 love song and both ice climbers songs. Not to mention the fact I would pay a truck load of money for these 3 in amiibo form:popo::lucas::wolf: Plus on top of that I have to suffer through that retched 3ds version which in my opinion was a waste of development and time because not seeing Magicant in HD really sucks :/
I hate the 3d version with a passion every time I lose I rip the thing from the 3ds and fire that damn cartridge half way across my room. The lack of c-stick is one of the many problems I have with it. In my opinion it's like the 3ds was a step back from Brawl. These two games should not have shared rosters especially if one is conflicting a characters chances :popo: these two were loved by tourney players and average players like myself. I see no one talking about 3d right now and it's only a matter of time until the Wii U completely dominates it. I can see these four coming back I just have to wait :'):popo::lucas::wolf:[/quote]

Mhm. 3DS definitely had a huge effect on both versions of the game. I too think it took a step back from Brawl, while the Wii U version, excluding the fact that :popo::lucas::wolf::mewtwopm: were all originally left out, was a good step forward. I think we'll see ICies, Lucas, and Wolf again in one way or another. However, if Nintendo does nothing about the situation, I will be deeply hurt inside, and will probably take drastic measures...

Lol, I'm just kidding. However, if nothing is done, Nintendo might not be as liked anymore, and I hardly think that they're going to miss a chance like this. I mean, DLC was practically MADE for Smash! They're probably gonna try and cash in with it as much as they can, and what better way to do so by adding more characters? As long as they make the right decision in bringing back the ICies, I'm fine with it.

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
See the thing about these 4 :popo::mewtwopm::lucas::wolf: is we know that:
:mewtwopm:Mewtwo has been planned for every single instalment he was planned for 64 but they most likely chose :4jigglypuff:Jigglypuff seeing how she was an easy clone of Kirby:4kirby: and probably because of time constraints. He then got into Melee which was all fine and dandy. Then he was cut in Brawl and as we all saw there was an uproar for his absence and so it brings us to Smash 4 bringing back the one unique character who was left out from Brawl.
Ice climbers as we know are a two time veteran (technically 3 if it weren't for that retched 3d version) and why they were left out is beyond me. All the work that went into them and for what, nothing that's what I can see them being easy DLC but the fact we got Mewtwo back and then losing these two just puts us back at square one we lost another unique melee character.
If they aren't DLC they better get a new game reviving them like :4pit: in Brawl seeing how it's their 30th next year.
Lucas and Wolf share the same sort of aspects so right now I will discuss their combined strengths and then separate them to describe their unique traits.
Both Lucas and Wolf were planned for Melee but were both removed due to separate reasons:
Lucas: being because of the delay of Mother 3 and they didn't want to delay Melee he was also fully intent on replacing Ness.
Wolf: was going to be the second star fox rep but due to looking similar to Fox they shoved in Falco as the clone which worked well because as we know Wolf is now more unique than him.
These two are also considered clones of these two :4fox::4ness: which is complete rubbish considering their:
animations, taunts, victory poses, voice clips, Ariel and standard attacks and their specials are all unique to them and them alone not to mention they look complete different to their significant others.
These two both got in Brawl and filled up the Star Fox and Mother franchises perfectly they helped represent these two franchises that have been here since the very start.
Wolf: He has not only got his voice actor he has a brand new model for the codecs on Lylat cruise (probably to hide his Brawl model for later on) his theme has gotten a new remix and the one that was made for Brawl has returned as well.
http://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/Jaz-Adams/ is credited for Peppy but if you listen to his take on Wolf it's the greatest thing you will ever hear XD
Lucas: also has the Mother 3 love song in there which is extremely saddening seeing how he isn't there to fight :(
Plus Lani Minella is in the game as the voice actor for :4larry::4morton::4wendy::4lemmy: and Lyn so she is in there at least hopefully actually voicing a character and not an alt or an assist :)
Overall I think these 4 were and still are top priorty for DLC as they are portable from Brawl, some of their moves are in the game already
and they are fan-favourite through out the community :) Next up Wolf, Lucas and Ice climber hype train :D

Last edited:

lightdasher

Smash Lord
...But they are clones.

Next you'll be saying :4darkpit: isn't a clone because of his Side B, taunts, voice clips and victory poses.
They are clones, just not as cloney as some.

Last edited:

Sm4sher69

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3325-3958-0591
...But they are clones.

Next you'll be saying :4darkpit: isn't a clone because of his Side B, taunts, voice clips and victory poses.
The only things
have in common with :4ness::4fox: is that their specials are similar.
Let's return to the Ice Climbers now shall we.

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
...But they are clones.

You can tell me all you want that they are clones but when it boils down to someone who mains them I among many others notice and treat them as unique characters beside if you want to play the clone argument I must ask you shouldn't that mean they are easier to implement?
:4fox::4falco:
:4pit::4darkpit:
:4mario::4luigi::4drmario:
:4marth::4lucina:
:4link::4tlink:
:4falcon::4ganondorf:
:4kirby::4jigglypuff:
All of these have been clones at one point or another.
Anywho back to Ice climbers just got my villager amiibo with the rest of them today.
I am very, very tempted to but another one of him and or 3 of Ness to create

Lucas being exactly the same in terms of poses but upgraded to the @vaanrose render that is in my signature
And another two to for an ice climber amiibo similar to these little bad boys (and girl) :D

I will upload a sketch later on how I might be able to turn Ness and Villager into these 3
:4ness:&:4villager:=

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
You can tell me all you want that they are clones but when it boils down to someone who mains them I among many others notice and treat them as unique characters beside if you want to play the clone argument I must ask you shouldn't that mean they are easier to implement?
:4fox::4falco:
:4pit::4darkpit:
:4mario::4luigi::4drmario:
:4marth::4lucina:
:4link::4tlink:
:4falcon::4ganondorf:
:4kirby::4jigglypuff:
All of these have been clones at one point or another.
Anywho back to Ice climbers just got my villager amiibo with the rest of them today.
I am very, very tempted to but another one of him and or 3 of Ness to create

Lucas being exactly the same in terms of poses but upgraded to the @vaanrose render that is in my signature
And another two to for an ice climber amiibo similar to these little bad boys (and girl) :D

I will upload a sketch later on how I might be able to turn Ness and Villager into these 3
:4ness:&:4villager:=
Nice work.

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Oh no XD
Those two aren't mine I was just using them for example sake to show how they might look it was made by this guy :D
Show him your thanks not me, well until I make their sketch and amiibo progress shots :)
http://dinoearchelon.deviantart.com/gallery/46920897/Other-Nintendoes-figure
I have to go places right now but when I return I shall sketch up the way I intend Ice climbers both Nana and Popo to turn out :D
Ah.

I think ICies are pretty much the perfect example of a character that you didn't realize you really liked till they were gone. I think that applies to everybody.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
So dudes :3
Got the sketch done :D
Note: The reason the first one looks like crap is because I drew out villager and then rubbed out the existing lines and drew an example of Popo.
It's not that bad. Now...where's Nana?

Rotorstorm331

Smash Rookie
It sickens me beyond belief to realise that I won't be able to get an ice climbers amiibo.

Seriously man this would look great :'(
It hurts man realising this is what your mains are reduced to.:lucas::wolf::popo:

I just wrote an e-mail to Nintendo awhile back about that; and while they gave me a response to it, I'm sadden that there won't be a Amiibo of IC, cause that would've been a day one purchase.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
So it's that time of year again, so I would seriously fly over to Japan and beg Sakurai to start on Ice Climbers DLC for a Christmas present for Smash fans all over the world. If there's a direct this month that shows off Smash DLC, it would probably be the ice Climbers anyway.

I wonder if anyone else is as optimistic about the ice climbers coming in a Christmas direct as I am... Any thoughts?

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
My game finally came today ^.^
The first thing I did was played a match as my mains in 8-player smash
:4ness::4falcon::4fox::4shulk::4tlink::4villager::4pacman::4lucario:
I then went into my music and pulled up the song Ice Climber.
I then proceeded to cry while raising my hand to salute them. :'(
Rest easy old friends till DLC Do us part.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'm honestly not expecting any more possible character DLC announcements until E3. This could wind up being a long wait but, with Doc and Mewtwo coming back in SSB4, I don't think they'll be permanently gone. I could totally see them becoming the Retro unlockable in the next game like Duck Hunt.

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
I'm honestly not expecting any more possible character DLC announcements until E3. This could wind up being a long wait but, with Doc and Mewtwo coming back in SSB4, I don't think they'll be permanently gone. I could totally see them becoming the Retro unlockable in the next game like Duck Hunt.
The one thing I hate about this whole next game thing is.
Sakurai might not be here for the next time round and that makes me worry for everything but who knows maybe I am just paranoid.

Any way has any one here got the skills to photo shop an amiibo like box card ?
Contact me through message or reply to this if you can :)

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Except Duck Hunt won't be in the next one. :)

As for ICies as Christmas DLC, I think it's too soon for that. I think our best bet is on their anniversary next year or E3 next year. Those are the two most probable times (to me) that we'll see them either announced or just as DLC. However, if they REALLY wanna drag this out (which I hope they don't) we might be waiting for this same time NEXT year for ICies announced or just as DLC.

P.S. "just as DLC" refers to them being DLC, though never confirmed to be DLC beforehand.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
The one thing I hate about this whole next game thing is.
Sakurai might not be here for the next time round and that makes me worry for everything but who knows maybe I am just paranoid.

Any way has any one here got the skills to photo shop an amiibo like box card ?
Contact me through message or reply to this if you can :)
I hate it when every one keeps talking about they'll be back next game, why not this game? DLC can make it so :wolf::lucas:and:popo: can be playable in this iteration of smash bros.
It's going to be a long wait, my profile pic describes my thoughts on that. Hopefully the announcement comes sooner, like Mario Kart 8 DLC soon.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
According to the miiverse fan website for Smash.
You have to K.O your rival 4 times in Rival smash.............
It's Ridiculously hard with all these morons running around:4mii::4miibrawl::4miigun::4miisword:
I broke a bootleg gamecube controller because of it.
From what I've seen, killing in "Rival smash" isn't too hard of a problem.

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
From what I've seen, killing in "Rival smash" isn't too hard of a problem.
Yes the mii's go out very easy it's the clone version of you that is a pain
say you have :4ganondorf:vs:4ganondorf:
He can read your attacks you have to kill Ganondorf 4 times not the :4mii:
Which is extremely hard. Luckily I just unlocked them last night at 3 in the morning I cried myself to sleep :')

Top Bottom