• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Breaking the Ice - Ice Climbers DLC Discussion Thread - Under New Ownership!

Sm4sher69

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3325-3958-0591
Well, looking at the pic of the day.

Ice Climber is not one of the masterpieces, since the masterpieces page they show is from games from 1985-1988, why Sakurai:cry:.
(wait, can you scroll to the left to reveal masterpieces from 1980-1985 with games from early 1985?).

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Well, looking at the pic of the day.

Ice Climber is not one of the masterpieces, since the masterpieces page they show is from games from 1985-1988, why Sakurai:cry:.
(wait, can you scroll to the left to reveal masterpieces from 1980-1985 with games from early 1985?).
Possibly. They may not have wanted to show them, if they do indeed exist, maybe in part because they plan to include ICies DLC?

Sm4sher69

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3325-3958-0591
I wouldn't worry about Masterpieces it has already been shown that earthbound is unlock able so I reckon when Ice climbers get back in that will come too :)
Yeah, I looked again at the pictures and I saw Pac-Man and Earthbound during the direct, but not here. So probably unlockable.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Why can't they make Nana 30 fps (for 3DS)? They made animations for every move with the 30 fps Pikmin, did they even try to make Nana 30 fps?

Sm4sher69

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3325-3958-0591
Is it really? The Pikmin can "desync" (particularly purples) if you run enough. You can't do anything with them, but it happens.
Well, if you look good at the pikmin they are moving in really weird ways to get to Olimar like going through walls or jumping really weird and they don't really have an entire moveset like Nana has.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Well, if you look good at the pikmin they are moving in really weird ways to get to Olimar like going through walls or jumping really weird and they don't really have an entire moveset like Nana has.
Yes, but it's easy to see when the Pikmin are "desynced" when you're trying to recover, since some Pikmin might make it and some might not. Only Olimar's whistle resummons them back regardless of desyncing.

Also, the Pikmin have animations for every single attack Olimar has except for a few A moves.

DecaHibiki

Smash Apprentice
It's kinda hard to us (IC mains) the treat that sakurai give us, no ice climbers, removed IC saga (symbol), no Ice Climber as masterpiece, and said that they prefered to work in other characters... Pfft Im mad

Last edited:

Sm4sher69

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3325-3958-0591
It's kinda hard to us (IC mains) the treat that sakurai give us, no ice climbers, removed IC saga (symbol), no Ice Climber as masterpiece, and said that they prefered to work in other characters... Pfft Im mad
I'm starting to think they make stuff like stages after being done with characters.

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
Curious on what you guys think of the 3DS version weighing the Wii U one down?

lightdasher

Smash Lord
Pretty irritated, it's not just the Ice Climbers which didn't make it to the game because of the 3DS, think of what else they had to water down or pretty much scrap because it wouldn't work on the 3DS

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Flipping mad. 3DS version was supposed to do the exact opposite of this (not holding back the Wii U version), but instead, it does hold back the Wii U version, we don't get ICies, and on top of that, when the 3DS version is compared to the Wii U version, it looks like a total rip-off (which it should be, considering it held back the Wii U version in the first place).

Sm4sher69

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3325-3958-0591
I am really dissapointed it happened, the 3ds version is clearly inferior to the WiiU version in every way. They even compared both versions in the 50 facts direct and made the 3ds version look like a piece of junk compared to the WiiU version.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
The 3DS version was a mistake. Period. I actually want to make a whole video discussing it.

Overall, the game is held back because of split content. The Wii U version has less new stages than Brawl did. However, when you combine both games together, you have way more stages, just they are split between two games. If they didn't make a 3DS game, we would have an amazing Smash game. Instead, we just get another game. I think Sakurai took the series in the wrong direction.

Naglfarii

Smash Journeyman
The 3DS version was a mistake. Period. I actually want to make a whole video discussing it.

Overall, the game is held back because of split content. The Wii U version has less new stages than Brawl did. However, when you combine both games together, you have way more stages, just they are split between two games. If they didn't make a 3DS game, we would have an amazing Smash game. Instead, we just get another game. I think Sakurai took the series in the wrong direction.
Tbf Nintendo announced smash for 3ds without informing sakurai. It was done at a time when the 3ds was really struggling, much like wii u is now

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Tbf Nintendo announced smash for 3ds without informing sakurai. It was done at a time when the 3ds was really struggling, much like wii u is now
You'll have to find an interview because from what I remember, it was Sakurai who suggested doing two games.

Codester

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheCodester87
3DS FC
0130-1912-9132
Ice climbers will never ever be a dlc in this game. Sakurai already said several times that the 3ds could not handle them, they were already a working character in the wii-u version but since the 3ds isn't powerful enough they were cut. There is no speculation here, at all. They will just never be in it plain and simple.

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.
Ice climbers will never ever be a dlc in this game. Sakurai already said several times that the 3ds could not handle them, they were already a working character in the wii-u version but since the 3ds isn't powerful enough they were cut. There is no speculation here, at all. They will just never be in it plain and simple.
Don't come here and start hating on us for speculating......
Are you Sakurai because unless you are, you know nothing about what he has planned.
He could easily put them back in as exclusives later down the line as all that time making them, he wouldn't want that to go to waist.
With DLC Everything is open son speculation is open.....

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250
Sakurai never said he can't make them DLC for the "New" 3DS. It will have exclusive things so surely the Ice Climbers could be one of them. ( Also note how you can access the internet browser and Miiverse on the "New" 3DS but not on the regular one )

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
I have nothing against a 3DS version; it's just that making them have the same characters was a mistake. No one would have minded if ONE CHARACTER couldn't get in on a handheld, especially since all you're going to use the 3DS version for is a quick For Fun match when you're on your lunch break.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
It is possible to reinvent these characters in order to have them work on the 3DS version. The only thing we can pretty much be certain of is that if they do appear in these games, they will not be the same as they were in Melee and Brawl.

Sm4sher69

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3325-3958-0591
Can't you read the title of this thread? This is an Ice Climbers support thread, if you are not going to support the Ice Climbers then don't go here.
The way Sakurai stated it in the article with the low priority could mean they are able to work, but they need more time and since Sakurai didn't want to delay the game he didn't try to go any further with them, but now the game is ready they have time to work on them again.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Man, get your sorry butt outta here. You have absolutely no clue what Nintendo has in store for us. They put in WII FIT TRAINER! Tell me, WHO THE HECK EXPECTED WII FIT TRAINER?!?!

Nintendo is crazy, and that's kinda what makes them awesome. They could bring in ICies as Wii U exclusive (for DLC) and have a different character take up their spot on the 3DS. I know, CRAZY, right?

Now that I've chewed him out...

"The 3DS version was a mistake." Right on.

It sickens me beyond belief to realise that I won't be able to get an ice climbers amiibo.

Seriously man this would look great :'(
It hurts man realising this is what your mains are reduced to.:lucas::wolf::popo:
Mewtwo also has a trophy in this game, and is confirmed as DLC later on down the line. With this, I assume he'll get the same treatment as other characters (his own trophy and alt. trophy, an amiibo, a character alias on Punch-Out stage, etc.). I would think that if ICies come back as DLC, they too will receive the same things, as well as a possible stage. It is confirmed that some songs will appear on multiple stages, so just because "Ice Climber" is on the Wrecking Crew stage doesn't mean it can't be used on a different stage for ICies.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Just found out Icicle mountain also plays on Wrecking crew :(
It's the pain that keeps on giving :cry:
Man, I'm not trying to go against you or anything, but it's FINE. We don't know if Sakurai has further plans for them. Until we can confirm they are or aren't DLC, there is nothing to be worried about as of yet. I understand your pain, but we don't have all the pieces of the puzzle yet. Let's just wait it out and see what happens. Good things come to those who wait. :)

LovinMitts

Smash Journeyman
What would you guys say if they released the Ice Climbers are DLC, but you play only as a single Ice Climber, with four costumes being Popo, and four being Nana? They would be massive buffs to them, of course, but I could see it working.

Belay can be changed to a tether, and Squall Hammer can have similar strength and range to when both climbers are present.

lightdasher

Smash Lord
What would you guys say if they released the Ice Climbers are DLC, but you play only as a single Ice Climber, with four costumes being Popo, and four being Nana? They would be massive buffs to them, of course, but I could see it working.

Belay can be changed to a tether, and Squall Hammer can have similar strength and range to when both climbers are present.
Ehh, if it was that or nothing I guess I would accept it.

DecaHibiki

Smash Apprentice
Im an Ice Climbers user, i love them, I tweet everday to sakurai asking for them, but I think their chances are low, I REALLY WANT THEM AND ALSO THEIR AMIIBO!!

Twin Shot

Smash Journeyman
I think Ice Climbers may have the best chances as DLC.

If they got them to work in the Wii U version - they already put time and resources into them. It would be a waste of both if they don't end up using it.

My thoughts are they hit a snag in the 3DS versions and couldn't work it out in time (this also means they put the time and resources into building them in the 3DS version.) so opted out for now. They could end up retailoring the Ice Climbers to be a bit like Rosaluma if the AI was an issue.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787

I agree with lightdasher, only if it was this or nothing. I love them how they are, and feel that's the way they should be played. Having the two-in-one character trait was kinda their thing and made them unique. Like I said, I'll go along with single Ice Climber, but only if that's what it comes down to. But considering that Nintendo tried to get Ice ClimberS to work on 3DS, I don't think they had the idea in mind to ever change them to a single Ice Climber, and they probably didn't like the idea either.

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300

TBH, the tether idea is better. I could honestly see Sakurai making different versions of the characters for each version, with the tether teaming that when one is hit the other gets dragged with it, and they could make it so that, on the 3DS version, there are the following changes:

Pros compared to WiiU version of IC
  • all attacks guarantee two hits
  • better recovery with Squall Hammer
  • Nana swinging around Popo when you turn while dashing, dealing a little damage with high knockback (swing attack)
  • increased starting traction
  • higher weight
  • higher power
Cons compared to WiiU version of IC:
  • SoPo isn't possible
  • reduced Belay length
  • an inability to chaingrab (in same way as before, anyway)
  • reduced stopping traction
  • reduced turning ability when dashing
  • Nana having a small chance to pratfall when Popo starts dashing
  • Popo having a small chance to pratfall when Nana does 'swing attack'
Neutral compared to WiiU version of IC
  • Ability to play as SoPo when shield button held on character select screen, with same stats as WiiU version excluding attack, which is doubled to make up for the lack of Nana.
  • Single AI (!!!!!!!!)
They would have a completely different playstyle, without changing the moveset (aside from adding swing attack), and I feel it would provide an incentive to buy both versions to get a taste of both playstyles. This playstyle would also be better suited to the 3DS due to the more limited control over the characters, and it could lead to an original competitive 3DS game, rather than an 'appetizer' for the 'main course' that is the WiiU version and is playable when traveling/away from the WiiU.

KirbySS44

Smash Cadet
I tried my best but here is the Ice Climbers stage created from the stage builder!

Here's more

What do you guys think?

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I tried my best but here is the Ice Climbers stage created from the stage builder!

Here's more

What do you guys think?
For what items are available in Stage Builder, it looks pretty accurate. Now if only there was an ice themed background...

Top Bottom