• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Breaking the Ice - Ice Climbers DLC Discussion Thread - Under New Ownership!

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
That's my secret, I've got no patterns!!! MUHWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! No, I probably do, and I notice a few of them. Oh well, I'll do what I do, you guys do what you do.

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
I saw Inside Out the other day, and WOW it was incredible.

I've gone ahead and bought the soundtrack to it (which was also amazing) and I can say that it was the first film to ever make me cry.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Really? That movie made you cry? (Haven't seen it).

Wait, how'd we get from ICies for DLC to a film?

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
Really? That movie made you cry? (Haven't seen it).

Wait, how'd we get from ICies for DLC to a film?
Because i brought it up and it is a social thread, meaning we can talk about our interests etc. Conversations don't need to link well XD

Also yeah. It did. Towards the end (the final third or so of the film) has some really touching scenes, and it is very well made. It is surprisingly mature for a childrens film actually. It has some subtly-placed, very grown up concepts (growing up etc.) and there are a few scenes which brought tears to my eyes.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
The last movie that I can remember that made me cry was The Odd Life of Timothy Green.

Anyways...

I think we've covered a lot of stuff about ICies, even before they were disconfirmed, and so there's not much left to talk about. However, in the hopes of staying on topic, I'm going to bring up something minor that some people may want changed (but maybe/probably not). Would anyone be opposed to the idea of our Eskimos getting a new taunt? Personally, if rather they stay the same, since (I think) every other veteran kept all 3 of his/her taunts. If one of them does get changed, I'd like it (whichever one it is) to be changed to the victory high five. Thoughts?

Last edited:

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Because i brought it up and it is a social thread, meaning we can talk about our interests etc. Conversations don't need to link well XD

Also yeah. It did. Towards the end (the final third or so of the film) has some really touching scenes, and it is very well made. It is surprisingly mature for a childrens film actually. It has some subtly-placed, very grown up concepts (growing up etc.) and there are a few scenes which brought tears to my eyes.
That Bing Bong scene got me man. It got me good.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I need to see it still. I dunno when though, but I'll see it eventually...

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
The last movie that I can remember that made me cry was The Odd Life of Timothy Green.

Anyways...

I think we've covered a lot of stuff about ICies, even before they were disconfirmed, and so there's not much left to talk about. However, in the hopes of staying on topic, I'm going to bring up something minor that some people may want changed (but maybe/probably not). Would anyone be opposed to the idea of our Eskimos getting a new taunt? Personally, if rather they stay the same, since (I think) every other veteran kept all 3 of his/her taunts. If one of them does get changed, I'd like it (whichever one it is) to be changed to the victory high five. Thoughts?
If they add the high five as a taunt, I think it would take the place of the taunt with them skipping around in a circle so they retain their Melee taunt and their OG jumping for joy taunt.

You know, it may be bold of me to say this, but if Ice Climbers in any way make it into Smash 4, then I don't need a Smash 5. It'll be the first time in nearly a decade where I have a roster in the most recent Smash game that has every character I could ask for and nobody left behind. I couldn't say that about Brawl because Mewtwo was cut and I don't count Project M because I discovered it during Smash 4's development. I currently can't say that about Smash 4 until Ice Climbers become DLC. I can't worry about the detractors too much because there were ****tons of people against Mewtwo for Smash 4, and that was way worse, seemingly had more people against it, and contained far more negativity than what we're dealing with now. Remember when Mewtwo supporters were called Mewtwo***s by some people? At least we're not seeing tons of disrespect now, just doubt, which can be remedied by what happens post-ballot. If Ice Climbers DLC happens, then Sakurai will never hear a peep out of me ever again. We've all expressed how much we disagree with one particular decision he made, and we did just slightly derail by blowing off steam about our gripes with the 3DS version, but it's still abundantly clear that we all care here. Sakurai is the best we've got and it is ever joyful to experience games he has made that are the spitting images of his visions that became masterpieces. Which is why I trust that if he were to modify something to compromise past issues, the results will be more than enough to satisfy our wants. All I ask is that the Ice Climbers are given a second chance, the voices of fans are heard and detractor statements are put to rest, and nobody leaks anything Smash related from here on out. Sure we can sound cranky and get irritated by circumstances and what we hear. We can get knee-jerk reactions when we see announcements that aren't to our liking. But it's normal, and I wouldn't like the game less for it. I'd rather not wait until 2021 to play as Ice Climbers in true HD glory, but I feel safe knowing they'll eventually return. So with that said, I believe in Sakurai, and I know we can get our babies back.

Furret24

Smash Master
If they add the high five as a taunt, I think it would take the place of the taunt with them skipping around in a circle so they retain their Melee taunt and their OG jumping for joy taunt.

You know, it may be bold of me to say this, but if Ice Climbers in any way make it into Smash 4, then I don't need a Smash 5. It'll be the first time in nearly a decade where I have a roster in the most recent Smash game that has every character I could ask for and nobody left behind. I couldn't say that about Brawl because Mewtwo was cut and I don't count Project M because I discovered it during Smash 4's development. I currently can't say that about Smash 4 until Ice Climbers become DLC. I can't worry about the detractors too much because there were ****tons of people against Mewtwo for Smash 4, and that was way worse, seemingly had more people against it, and contained far more negativity than what we're dealing with now. Remember when Mewtwo supporters were called Mewtwo***s by some people? At least we're not seeing tons of disrespect now, just doubt, which can be remedied by what happens post-ballot. If Ice Climbers DLC happens, then Sakurai will never hear a peep out of me ever again. We've all expressed how much we disagree with one particular decision he made, and we did just slightly derail by blowing off steam about our gripes with the 3DS version, but it's still abundantly clear that we all care here. Sakurai is the best we've got and it is ever joyful to experience games he has made that are the spitting images of his visions that became masterpieces. Which is why I trust that if he were to modify something to compromise past issues, the results will be more than enough to satisfy our wants. All I ask is that the Ice Climbers are given a second chance, the voices of fans are heard and detractor statements are put to rest, and nobody leaks anything Smash related from here on out. Sure we can sound cranky and get irritated by circumstances and what we hear. We can get knee-jerk reactions when we see announcements that aren't to our liking. But it's normal, and I wouldn't like the game less for it. I'd rather not wait until 2021 to play as Ice Climbers in true HD glory, but I feel safe knowing they'll eventually return. So with that said, I believe in Sakurai, and I know we can get our babies back.
I still highly doubt that they'll be in this game, and we'll probably have to wait until the next Smash game to play as them (you will, I don't really like playing as them) but don't lose hope until the end.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I still highly doubt that they'll be in this game, and we'll probably have to wait until the next Smash game to play as them (you will, I don't really like playing as them) but don't lose hope until the end.
Eh I've lost hope. I'll keep supporting because IC's are my favorites, but I think it's pretty clear they aren't returning.

If I had to guess I think we're going to get K.Rool, Isaac (the winners) and Wolf and Dixie as the pre planned. Icies are just going to have to wait.

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman

Wait...

A lot of us say stuff like "if insert vet got back, I wouldn't need to buy the next Smash."

What if there were never any 3DS issues with the IC to speak of?

What if Sakurai purposely cuts veterans to create demand and hype for the next game?

What if every coming Smash game will feature cut characters so that fans of the characters have to buy the next game/DLC to get it? But then someone else gets cut. We never get a complete roster.

What a twistedly brilliant plan.

:troll:

@ FunAtParties FunAtParties "Sakurai's shown that he doesn't really care about veterans (going off your Jigs point, and Mewtwo, Wolf , and Lucas' disinclusion at the start of the game) nearly as much as we tend to believe. As I said IC's chances aren't looking that great. That being said, according to tentative results on SourceGaming, they seem to have at least surpassed Snake (I know that's not good for you specifically, but good for the IC's at least),"

Hmm, I don't think he doesn't care about veterans. He doesn't like cutting them and clearly tries his hardest to bring them back (Jiggs came back, he says he "tried everything" to make the IC come back, most of the DLC is made up of vets), but newcomers inevitably have priority since they sell games, not veterans. Some characters fall through the cracks.

And as for Snake, if he got back in as DLC, that means that the Smash team (which may or may not include Sakurai), is aware that people want him back, and that increases his chances for the next Smash game. The IC are almost a lock for the next game (I say almost because I can't repeat the pain from expecting the IC to come back), and assuming (what a dangerous game) that the base roster for this game returns, I'd be totally satisfied with the roster. (I would like Mewtwo and Ryu in the roster too but if push came to shove...)

Is now an appropriate time to mention I'm genuinely frightened for Shulk's chances? He was in one cult game and won't seem to be in any others. I'm worried they'll try to do what they wanted to do to Ness - replace him with a more relevant character from that series. Ness has survived up to now, so maybe things aren't so bad for Shulk, but still. Your fave is never safe with Sakurai.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Wait...

A lot of us say stuff like "if insert vet got back, I wouldn't need to buy the next Smash."

What if Sakurai purposely cuts veterans to create demand and hype for the next game?

What if every coming Smash game will feature cut characters so that fans of the characters have to buy the next game/DLC to get it? But then someone else gets cut. We never get a complete roster.

The Truth is out there:
The 3DS CAN support two Ice Climbers.

♪do do do doo doo♪
@ KimKarsmashian KimKarsmashian No need to worry about Shulk getting cut. If he ever does get cut, he'll just travel back in time to reinsert himself in the game. No problem.

Last edited:

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
The Truth is out there:
The 3DS CAN support two Ice Climbers.

♪do do do doo doo♪
On a scale of 1-10, how disappointed would you be if this was a strategy Sakurai actually employed in the Smash games to make sure nobody ever gets too comfortable with one game and its roster? :troll:

Needless to say, I'd be very disappointed. Especially since he always seemed to care about the consumer (his initial resistance to DLC).

Of course, this isn't real. I don't want this becoming some bizarre rumor.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Ya, no way is any original 12 vet getting cut now. They all made it this far, no sense in giving any of them the boot now. Not even Jigglypuff.

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
In my post describing Inside Out I lied: its not about growing up. Its about coming to terms with change.

Anyway, back on topic, I sincerely hope that plan you described isn't what's really going on here... jk i know Sakurai wouldn't do that

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
On a scale of 1-10, how disappointed would you be if this was a strategy Sakurai actually employed in the Smash games to make sure nobody ever gets too comfortable with one game and its roster? :troll:

Needless to say, I'd be very disappointed. Especially since he always seemed to care about the consumer (his initial resistance to DLC).

Of course, this isn't real. I don't want this becoming some bizarre rumor.
1 or 2 maybe. I know people think it's crazy, but I'm pretty sure Nintendo does this with all their games anyway. Think about Mario Kart for example, it's not like they can't innovate, bring back, or add to it, but we end up getting just boring, bigger versions each time. Why not have a Double Dash mode, bring back the old battle mode, or allow people to make their own tracks? So people buy the next one.

I pretty sure intentionally leaving out stuff in games is a common practice in the videogame industry. No need to get upset over it, just hope it doesn't happen to you(r favorite character/franchise).

@ Marigi174 Marigi174 I think Inside Out had some really poignont scenes about growing up as well. Like in the previously mentioned [spoilers]Bing Bong scene, it shows Riley losing a part of her childhood.[/spoilers]. I will agree though,that most of the movie is about dealing with change.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
1 or 2 maybe. I know people think it's crazy, but I'm pretty sure Nintendo does this with all their games anyway. Think about Mario Kart for example, it's not like they can't innovate, bring back, or add to it, but we end up getting just boring, bigger versions each time. Why not have a Double Dash mode, bring back the old battle mode, or allow people to make their own tracks? So people buy the next one.

I pretty sure intentionally leaving out stuff in games is a common practice in the videogame industry. No need to get upset over it, just hope it doesn't happen to you(r favorite character/franchise).

@ Marigi174 Marigi174 I think Inside Out had some really poignont scenes about growing up as well. Like in the previously mentioned [spoilers]Bing Bong scene, it shows Riley losing a part of her childhood.[/spoilers]. I will agree though,that most of the movie is about dealing with change.
OMG, you don't know how much I SO want Double Dashing(:awesome:) to return to Mario Kart! I always thought that maybe Nintendo believed it was a good idea, they just didn't want to add it to EVERY game, or else it may lose its "luster". But still, I would give anything to see it return!

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
OMG, you don't know how much I SO want Double Dashing(:awesome:) to return to Mario Kart! I always thought that maybe Nintendo believed it was a good idea, they just didn't want to add it to EVERY game, or else it may lose its "luster". But still, I would give anything to see it return!
It would be cool. I was disappointed when they got rid of it for the Wii version (I knew it would be gone for the DS version for similar reason to the IC's right now in Smash), and have been waiting for it to come back ever since. I think it's kinda annoying that the only "advancements" the games have made since is adding underwater and zero-g driving that, let's face it, don't really change anything gameplay wise.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I'm gonna put something like "ICies4DLCorRiot!".

Maybe, lol. That's just something I came up with, probably gonna be something different.

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
Wait...

@ FunAtParties FunAtParties "Sakurai's shown that he doesn't really care about veterans (going off your Jigs point, and Mewtwo, Wolf , and Lucas' disinclusion at the start of the game) nearly as much as we tend to believe. As I said IC's chances aren't looking that great. That being said, according to tentative results on SourceGaming, they seem to have at least surpassed Snake (I know that's not good for you specifically, but good for the IC's at least),"

Hmm, I don't think he doesn't care about veterans. He doesn't like cutting them and clearly tries his hardest to bring them back (Jiggs came back, he says he "tried everything" to make the IC come back, most of the DLC is made up of vets), but newcomers inevitably have priority since they sell games, not veterans. Some characters fall through the cracks.

And as for Snake, if he got back in as DLC, that means that the Smash team (which may or may not include Sakurai), is aware that people want him back, and that increases his chances for the next Smash game. The IC are almost a lock for the next game (I say almost because I can't repeat the pain from expecting the IC to come back), and assuming (what a dangerous game) that the base roster for this game returns, I'd be totally satisfied with the roster. (I would like Mewtwo and Ryu in the roster too but if push came to shove...)

Is now an appropriate time to mention I'm genuinely frightened for Shulk's chances? He was in one cult game and won't seem to be in any others. I'm worried they'll try to do what they wanted to do to Ness - replace him with a more relevant character from that series. Ness has survived up to now, so maybe things aren't so bad for Shulk, but still. Your fave is never safe with Sakurai.
Well my statement was meant to go along the lines of, "If ICies return to Smash 4, and there is no Smash 5, I'd be okay with it not coming since I know I have a perfect game that I can't imagine being surpassed." Perhaps saying it that way is more bold than the last one. But really, there's going to be a Smash 5 because Nintendo wouldn't allow the series to end. Oh wow, it didn't come to mind until now. The thought of character cuts being a marketing ploy. No, I don't want to think that! What a world!
Eh I've lost hope. I'll keep supporting because IC's are my favorites, but I think it's pretty clear they aren't returning.

If I had to guess I think we're going to get K.Rool, Isaac (the winners) and Wolf and Dixie as the pre planned. Icies are just going to have to wait.

Last edited:

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
So I've been thinking.

In a way, the IC's deconfirmation is a blessing.
- we know the IC were supposed to be in Smash 4 from the start. None of the vets cut from Brawl or Melee, pre-DLC, seem to have been seriously planned for inclusion in the game. This shows their priority in Sakurai's eyes.
- we know the issue facing them was technical. Compare this to any other litany of potential reasons - relevancy, legal confusion, forgotten. It's unlikely the next console will be unable to handle them. As such, we can feel confident they will return for the next game.
- closure. Why didn't this cut vet return? Other than IC, we will never really know. But we know for them. No need for pointless speculation without evidence.
- peace. We don't have to be on edge because someone else might take my spot. Let them other guys fight. We just chillin'.

I'm not saying I'm giving up on them. They're still my only shawties. But accepting that it probably won't happen is freeing. I'm making like another ice queen, and letting it go. :denzel:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
So I've been thinking.

In a way, the IC's deconfirmation is a blessing.
- we know the IC were supposed to be in Smash 4 from the start. None of the vets cut from Brawl or Melee, pre-DLC, seem to have been seriously planned for inclusion in the game. This shows their priority in Sakurai's eyes.
- we know the issue facing them was technical. Compare this to any other litany of potential reasons - relevancy, legal confusion, forgotten. It's unlikely the next console will be unable to handle them. As such, we can feel confident they will return for the next game.
- closure. Why didn't this cut vet return? Other than IC, we will never really know. But we know for them. No need for pointless speculation without evidence.
- peace. We don't have to be on edge because someone else might take my spot. Let them other guys fight. We just chillin'.

I'm not saying I'm giving up on them. They're still my only shawties. But accepting that it probably won't happen is freeing. I'm making like another ice queen, and letting it go. :denzel:
I think he's a bigger fan of the IC's then he let's on. I like to believe that King Dedede was inspired by them in a way (winter coat, hammer, all on an arctic animal), and I also like to think that the ICs were really the only ones in consideration for the retro rep back in the day, despite the story he tells. I mean, they were already there for the Melee reveal trailer, and it's not like they're just a throw-in type of character, the concept behind them was extremely innovative at the time, so you just know that was one of his babies from the start.

So I agree, I think the IC's are safe in the future. Shame about the 3DS, but what can you do.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Checked the trophy in the 3dsversion again, doesn't it kinda look like Nana is signaling" wait, I got this" with her hand, knowing sakurai there might be something to that!, Ill definitly wait for tonights maintenence to see if they are added :D

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Hate to break it to you, but maintenance is basically just fixing up the online connection and maybe some character tweaks. However, Sakurai is unpredictable, and I can totally see him slipping in a character DLC with it (though I still think it's unlikely). Oh well, I honestly think we're due for a Smash announcement soon. And if not, we're definitely getting one when the Ballot ends.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
According to ta redditthread on the topic, its the exact same timing like last time they added content, while regular maintenence had some different timing on the day. 1 speculation for new chars is also that theres a metalgeargame releasing tomorrow, making snake a potencial candidate, since the timing is like it's.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Eh, I suppose it's not totally out of the realm of possibility. I just don't think it'll happen. Take my opinion, along with many others, with as many grains of salt as you want.

Furret24

Smash Master

I meant in Smash 5. it's obvious Sakarai
Hate to break it to you, but maintenance is basically just fixing up the online connection and maybe some character tweaks. However, Sakurai is unpredictable, and I can totally see him slipping in a character DLC with it (though I still think it's unlikely). Oh well, I honestly think we're due for a Smash announcement soon. And if not, we're definitely getting one when the Ballot ends.
CHARACTER TWEAKS?!

WILL IT BE GAME AND WATCH'S TIME TO RETURN TO HIS FORMER GLORY?!

Character patches actually really hype me. More than any of the DLC so far.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Pretty sure there were some last time, ya. The stages and characters are more hype for me, but I don't pay much attention to minor, 1% damage tweaks to characters. They usually don't affect my gameplay, as I barely have any techniques that I use over and over.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I haven't been happy with any of the balancing outside of maybe Ike's and Falco's buffs so far. I've also heard they balance the game based on ffa and not 1v1, which is why characters like :4samus: and:4jigglypuff: probably won't be getting the improvements they desperately need.

Furret24

Smash Master
I haven't been happy with any of the balancing outside of maybe Ike's and Falco's buffs so far. I've also heard they balance the game based on ffa and not 1v1, which is why characters like :4samus: and:4jigglypuff: probably won't be getting the improvements they desperately need.
Nobody playing FFA is going to notice how Doc's U-Smash duration got buffed by 1 frame, or how Luigi's fireball had 3 frames of ending lag added to it, or how Sonic F-Smash now kills 4% later. These changes were obviously made for competitive 1v1 play.

Also, Sakurai hates Samus, so she won't be getting buffed.

Edit: How could you not be happy with Game and Watch's buffs?

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Nobody playing FFA is going to notice how Doc's U-Smash duration got buffed by 1 frame, or how Luigi's fireball had 3 frames of ending lag added to it, or how Sonic F-Smash now kills 4% later. These changes were obviously made for competitive 1v1 play.

Also, Sakurai hates Samus, so she won't be getting buffed.
FFA in Japan has a competitive following IIRC. Those buffs/nerf may very well be noticed by people playing FFA.

Quote from Sakurai on balancing: "Another problem we have to consider is that battles can take on many formats in Smash. There are moves that are completely useless in a 1v1 battle, but in a four-player free-for-all those moves might prove quite useful. Therefore, if I played only one kind of battle, the game would feel very slanted towards a particular style of play."

So while he may not ONLY consider FFA (as I may previously had alluded to), it plays a factor, which is why I'll never have confidence in the balance of the game, nor these patches.

Sauce: http://nintendoeverything.com/sakur...s-claims-for-the-smash-bros-roster-balancing/

Last edited:

Furret24

Smash Master
FFA in Japan has a competitive following IIRC. Those buffs/nerf may very well be noticed by people playing FFA.

Quote from Sakurai on balancing: "Another problem we have to consider is that battles can take on many formats in Smash. There are moves that are completely useless in a 1v1 battle, but in a four-player free-for-all those moves might prove quite useful. Therefore, if I played only one kind of battle, the game would feel very slanted towards a particular style of play."

So while he may not ONLY consider FFA (as I may previously had alluded to), it plays a factor, which is why I'll never have confidence in the balance of the game, nor these patches.

Sauce: http://nintendoeverything.com/sakur...s-claims-for-the-smash-bros-roster-balancing/
Huh. I never knew Japan played FFA competitively. That explains a lot.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Ya. One vs. one isn't the only way Smash has to be played. Same with team battles...

Flor@

Smash Apprentice
Very interesting. No wonder I can't really find a use for Ganon's warlock punch. That thing's virtually useless in 1v1s xD Up-tilt's not so bad tho

EDIT: compare to captain falcon's falcon punch, which is just barely viable at times. Just barely.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Huh. I never knew Japan played FFA competitively. That explains a lot.
I'm not sure if they still do. I remember looking up competitive Japanese players during the beginning of Smash 4, and seeing a few 4 player tourneys. Not sure how common it is, I'm not really all that familiar with the Japanese scene.

Ya. One vs. one isn't the only way Smash has to be played. Same with team battles...
On a competitive level though, it kinda does. In my opinion, FFA isn't a good gauge for player skill, more of just a for fun kinda thing. The game should, at the very least, be balanced based on the competitive scene if nothing else, which truly lies in 1v1.

Very interesting. No wonder I can't really find a use for Ganon's warlock punch. That thing's virtually useless in 1v1s xD Up-tilt's not so bad tho

EDIT: compare to captain falcon's falcon punch, which is just barely viable at times. Just barely.
I think the super-armor makes it more useful than the Falcon Punch at the very least. I don't see either attacks being any more useful in FFA though, maybe teams, but not FFA.

Last edited:

Flor@

Smash Apprentice
I think the super-armor makes it more useful than the Falcon Punch at the very least. I don't see either attacks being any more useful in FFA though, maybe teams, but not FFA.
EVERYTHING's easier to hit in FFAs and teams lol. You've never been trying to finish somebody off, but somebody else comes in with the dumbest move ever and kills the both of you? Or at least steals your kill? Warlock punches, KO punches, falcon punches, ganon up-tilts, and home-run bat kills are perfect for this sort of thing. You can generally just spam stuff in FFA and be safer than in a 1v1, since everybody's fair game for everybody, and if somebody just so happens to be 'covering' you while you perform one of the silly moves, others may be cautious and not approach you at all. And if that person near you happens to be focused on killing somebody else, guess what, you're off scot-free!
Happens all the time when smashing with my in-group lol.

Top Bottom