• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Breaking the Ice - Ice Climbers DLC Discussion Thread - Under New Ownership!

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I gotta get on Pilotwings 64.
For the sake of going off-topic one more time, can I add you to the Pilot Wings support list? Also, GET Pilot Wings 64. Most fun I've had in a while, my favorite Pilot Wings game, and VERY innovative game on Nintendo's part. How about we continue this discussion on the PW thread, huh? I don't want us to lose focus on getting my mains in Melee back for future Smash titles.

Last edited:

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
For the sake of going off-topic one more time, can I add you to the Pilot Wings support list? Also, GET Pilot Wings 64. Most fun I'e had in a while, my favorite Pilot Wings game, and VERY innovative game on Nintendo's part. How about we continue this discussion on the PW thread, huh? I don't want us to lose focus on getting my mains in Melee back for future Smash titles.
Sure thing. I'm hoping we get a PW rep soon, but not before I get the game. Hype can do crazy things to ebay, so it's best to get it while it's cheap.

So, Nana and Popo. Hmm, I had a thought about trophies. I actually just realized that Street Fighter now has its own trophy section in the list. That's good for new series reps coming into the game and for ICies to finally gain back what was taken away from them. Maybe either the trophies currently in other will remain in other if it's difficult to pull them out of a section, a similar case to the roster lineup, or they might be able to be moved into their rightful spot along with other "Other" listed characters like Inkling. But I'm predicting the former as I'm not sure how safe it would be to tamper with that coding built into the product since retail release. I wouldn't want to be reminded of what used to be the case. Also, in my Wii U version, in the order obtained section, I have the Ice Climbers trophy coincidentally paired up with Lucario, Toon Link, and Ike, three Brawl veterans that I was worried about being cut because of Sakurai's early statement on inevitable time constraints. Yeah, out of those four, Ice Climbers are the last ones I'd expect to get cut ever. And I thought Toon Link was doomed. And it still saddens me to know that Melee veterans still aren't safe. And I feel like that will continue to be the case because I can't see Dr. Mario or Roy become staple guarantees for being two time vets now. Roy, maybe, and that's a slight maybe. Doc, unless the planets align the same way they did for him in Smash 4, hell naw. As for veterans that have never been cut before, they better not get cut now. I don't want to have to worry about any other Melee vets I have a strong attachment to leave my sight (:falcomelee::mewtwomelee::gawmelee:). So let's just get the Ice Climbers back already so the unthinkable that became thinkable can once again become unthinkable.

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
in my Wii U version, in the order obtained section, I have the Ice Climbers trophy coincidentally paired up with Lucario, Toon Link, and Ike, three Brawl veterans that I was worried about being cut because of Sakurai's early statement on inevitable time constraints. Yeah, out of those four, Ice Climbers are the last ones I'd expect to get cut ever. And I thought Toon Link was doomed. And it still saddens me to know that Melee veterans still aren't safe.
Sakurai probably wouldn't have cut Toon Link. The reason I say this is because he was added in as the "replacement" for Young Link, and that means that he technically has links back to melee through two games while not having any real technical problems (like IC did), a level of unpopularity (like Pichu did - idk why, because watching a well-played Pichu is hype as f*ck) or copyright issues (like Snake). I think it'd have been cool if maybe the Link from A Link Between Worlds had been used in his, but Sakurai had his sights set on representing Spirit Tracks, so Toon Link makes sense.

I think it'd be cool to get Young Link back as a rep for OoT 3D and MM 3D tho, and they could give him the key differences from Toon Link that were present in Melee as well as some unique new moves, such as the Great Deity Mask for his final smash and something to do with masks over one of his current moves a-la Monado Arts (probably the Deku Shrub Mask, Goron Mask and Zora Mask - detailed below), although this incarnation of Young Link is unlikely due to transformations being removed. :(
  • Deku Shrub Mask:
    • Hero Spin replaced with Deku Flower
    • Other specials replaced with variations of the Deku Bubble
    • "A" attacks replaced with various barges
    • Gains ability to float after up special is used.
    • Reduces weight, leaving Link floaty - good for escaping combos, but makes Link easier to KO.
  • Goron Mask:
    • Hero Spin replaced with a move similar to Spinning Kong
    • Other specials replaced with variations of the Goron Roll
    • "A" attacks replaced with various punches and barges
    • Increases power and knockback
    • Increases weight - good for avoiding KOs, but makes Link easy to combo.
  • Zora Mask:
    • Hero Spin replaced with a move similar to Hydro Pump
    • Other specials replaced with variations of Boomerang Attack and Electric Shield
    • "A" attacks replaced with various punches, kicks and slashes of Zora Link's fins
    • Increased speed and swim speed
    • Decreases power and knockback
    • Weight is unchanged

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Just a reminder to everyone that my tournament will be today at 7pm EST, and ending at 8:30pm EST.

It will be points based.
Matches are 3 stocks, time limit will be at it's max (10 minutes, though I'd rather there not be a limit)
Custom characters will not be available.
Mii Fighters will be available.
If you're somehow able to do it, you can play up to 30 matches within the tourney time limit.
Only item on will be the Smash Ball, on either medium or low rate.

Password for tournament and tournament ID # will be up sometime between 6pm EST and 7pm EST.

I look forward to facing off with everyone later today!!!

Last edited:

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
You know I was looking at the collective poll results at: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...pw5m-b4JHJ0_cGRKU15KYlTe1E/edit#gid=729442469 and I'm not really buying the Global results, which make the IC's (and other veterans for that matter) chances look so good right now.

If you look at US/Euro merged votes (which actually seems to have sufficient data to back it up), the collective top 5 are: K.Rool, Isaac, Banjo Kazooie, Shovel Knight, and Shantae, taken from 14 various polls off of 4 or 5 different sites. From these very results, Snake comes in 6th, Wolf 8th, and Ice Climbers a very discouraging 16th.

Then there is the Japanese based results, which is what helps our beloved veterans the most. These are based off of two "polls" (more of a collection of name drops as the source states itself) taken in February and April respectively. The results of these finds Snake, Wolf, and Ice Climbers 1, 2, 3 in the polls (excluding Lucas who, as you already know is currently available).

Now the problem with the Global results is, they don't just add all the data together to give a for sure, reliable answer. Nope, instead they take the percentages of US/Euro, and combine them with the percentages of Japan to get the Global results; which is why, despite lacking the actual hard numbers, all the veterans are seemingly doing well in the polls. This would be fine with a larger data base, but to give an idea of how insufficient Japan's data is compared to US/Euro's is in these results; the top vote getter for US/Euro in these polls is King K.Rool with 3943 votes, while Japan's is Snake with a hardy 75 votes. Remembering again that, the Japanese results are from collecting names from discussions, and not any actual polls themselves, AND from over 4 months ago, and I lose complete confidence in the Japanese/Global results.

While I still believe the IC's have one of the biggest presence in the polls in Japan, knowing that they aren't even a top 10 choice in the West in extremely disconcerting. Also knowing that Snake, and Wolf were, at one point, both above them in Japan (the only place giving them a chance right now), also doesn't inspire the utmost confidence to me in their chances right now.

Point is, unless they are either DOMINATING Japanese polls, or owning the casual - I'm not going to talk about it on the internet, vote, I think we're screwed.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I don't remember hearing anything that said that only the top 4 or so from the Ballot are going to make it in. Though it's likely that characters near the top will be chosen, I don't think they'll just say "OK, so and so is at the very top, so he's in, with so and do being right behind him, so he's in, with so and so being in third, so he will be in as well...". I'm guessing they take maybe 4 or 5 from the top 10 or 15. There's only so much they can do, and they'll need to program and come up with a moveset within a short period of time (for newcomers). It'd be easier to throw in highly requested veterans over newcomers, though I highly doubt we'll be getting only veterans from the Ballot. I also doubt it'll be just newcomers as well. And I'm pretty sure ICies are within that top 10-15. We'll just have to keep voting, and wait and see what we get out of this Ballot.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I don't remember hearing anything that said that only the top 4 or so from the Ballot are going to make it in...
While true, it's goes without saying that the more popular choices are going to have the best chances.

There's only so much they can do, and they'll need to program and come up with a moveset within a short period of time (for newcomers). It'd be easier to throw in highly requested veterans over newcomers, though I highly doubt we'll be getting only veterans from the Ballot.
What "period of time" are you referring too? I don't think there's a cut in dry deadline for when the characters have to be done. In fact, I'm willing to bet Nintendo will want this spread out as much as possible to keep up as much interest in the series as possible. Just because the ballot is end soon, doesn't mean the characters are going to be quick to follow.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I would think the opposite (meaning that the DLC would come sooner than later). But I will agree that they could spread it out for a looong time. Though I think that, at most, they'll be giving us new pieces of DLC once within every 2 months.

Last edited:

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
And it still saddens me to know that Melee veterans still aren't safe.
Melee? Heck, 64 veterans aren't safe. Jigglypuff was almost cut from Brawl due to time constraints (that's why there's no Jigglypuff material in SSE) but was able to be included at the last minute.

I agree that, unfortunately, the IC's chances are looking low right now. I'm more worried about the technical limitations on the 3DS, since we know they won't do Wii U exclusive DLC characters. If it weren't for that, the IC would also have way more support. I still have a faint hope, but realistically speaking, I know I'm gonna have to wait until the next Smash game, if that ever happens. (don't cut Shulk for the next Smash game based Sakurai)

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I would think the opposite (meaning that the DLC would come sooner than later). But I will agree that they could spread it out for a looong time. Though I think that, at most, they'll be giving us new pieces of DLC once within every 2 months.
Doubt it. The poll is ending in a couple months, and we still haven't had any announcement on what pre-planned characters are making it in. With that, I would assume they're going to be announced when the poll ends, with development starting on the chosen few from the ballot afterwards. All speculation of course, but that's what I see likely. We haven't gotten consistent releases of anything as of yet, doubt it will start now.

On a different topic, I definitely won't be able to join that tournament thing (not sure if I was invited anyway:p) because my controller's busted, and I don't have the money to replace it right now.

Melee? Heck, 64 veterans aren't safe. Jigglypuff was almost cut from Brawl due to time constraints (that's why there's no Jigglypuff material in SSE) but was able to be included at the last minute.

I agree that, unfortunately, the IC's chances are looking low right now. I'm more worried about the technical limitations on the 3DS, since we know they won't do Wii U exclusive DLC characters. If it weren't for that, the IC would also have way more support. I still have a faint hope, but realistically speaking, I know I'm gonna have to wait until the next Smash game, if that ever happens. (don't cut Shulk for the next Smash game based Sakurai)
Agreed on everything. People seem to have a lot of confidence when their favorite character is a vet, but I don't see it mattering. Sakurai's shown that he doesn't really care about veterans (going off your Jigs point, and Mewtwo, Wolf , and Lucas' disinclusion at the start of the game) nearly as much as we tend to believe. As I said IC's chances aren't looking that great. That being said, according to tentative results on SourceGaming, they seem to have at least surpassed Snake (I know that's not good for you specifically, but good for the IC's at least),

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Doubt it. The poll is ending in a couple months, and we still haven't had any announcement on what pre-planned characters are making it in. With that, I would assume they're going to be announced when the poll ends, with development starting on the chosen few from the ballot afterwards. All speculation of course, but that's what I see likely. We haven't gotten consistent releases of anything as of yet, doubt it will start now.

On a different topic, I definitely won't be able to join that tournament thing (not sure if I was invited anyway:p) because my controller's busted, and I don't have the money to replace it right now.

Agreed on everything. People seem to have a lot of confidence when their favorite character is a vet, but I don't see it mattering. Sakurai's shown that he doesn't really care about veterans (going off your Jigs point, and Mewtwo, Wolf , and Lucas' disinclusion at the start of the game) nearly as much as we tend to believe. As I said IC's chances aren't looking that great. That being said, according to tentative results on SourceGaming, they seem to have at least surpassed Snake (I know that's not good for you specifically, but good for the IC's at least),
Everyone on the threads I posted it on was invited, sorry you can't make it. Next tourney will probably be next weekend.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Can't wait for your tourney.
1.5 hours left. I'm going to eat dinner and create the tourney. Tourney ID # and password will be up between 6pm EST and the time the tourney starts (7pm EST).

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Tournament is up! (All info. below is accurate, type the stuff exactly as it says)

Password: RnW5585

Tourney ID #: 45513793354453

Tourney Name: RnWs 1st Tourney

Good luck to everyone!!!

Oh ya, use your SB account name as your tag in battles so we can get to know everyone!!!

Last edited:

Furret24

Smash Master
Tournament is up! (All info. below is accurate, type the stuff exactly as it says)

Password: RnW5585

Tourney ID #: 45513793354453

Tourney Name: RnWs 1st Tourney

Good luck to everyone!!!
It starts at 8:00pm est right?

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
No, 7, which is about 15 minutes. Sorry if that changes anything.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Lol, hopefully we get more participants.

Furret24

Smash Master
No, 7, which is about 15 minutes. Sorry if that changes anything.
No. I'm about to join, just give me sec.

Edit: I'm in. I hope to see the rest of you.

I'm "Dino" if you didn't know. I kinda sick at this game.

Last edited:

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
I'm sad that it is midnight for me. I'd compete otherwise :(

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
There's different servers, we keep ending up in different ones.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Ya, I keep playing my friend PSIBoy, getting rekt. Lol.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Thank you.

DANG IT! WHY YOU DO THIS TO A FELLOW GAME AND WATCH???

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Wish I'd had more participants than just us 4. Maybe next time. Falco and Furret, sent you both friend requests after the tourney. Nice job guys.

Last edited:

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
@ ROBnWatch ROBnWatch , @ Furret24 Furret24 , @ PSIBoy PSIBoy , good game. Man, the lasers and the octopus and the PK everything and just wow. So crazy. So that was basically where I currently stand with my overall performance at all but one of my mains. Only Furret saw my Yoshi, but there was one more that you all couldn't see. Hoping for the day when we can duke it out with our favorite ****** buddies.

Also, did anyone notice what I wrote on my profile?

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
@ ROBnWatch ROBnWatch , @ Furret24 Furret24 , @ PSIBoy PSIBoy , good game. Man, the lasers and the octopus and the PK everything and just wow. So crazy. So that was basically where I currently stand with my overall performance at all but one of my mains. Only Furret saw my Yoshi, but there was one more that you all couldn't see. Hoping for the day when we can duke it out with our favorite ****** buddies.

Also, did anyone notice what I wrote on my profile?
Ya, good games to you as well, even though you finished last. Maybe you'll do better next time. You're not that bad. I hope us 4 can do this again sometime, with more people as well. We will eventually get to battle as ICies, I know it. We'll just have to wait.

No, I didn't see it, and I turned off my Wii U for the day. What's it say?

Last edited:

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
Ya, good games to you as well, even though you finished last. Maybe you'll do better next time. You're not that bad. I hope us 4 can do this again sometime, with more people as well. We will eventually get to battle as ICies, I know it. We'll just have to wait.

No, I didn't see it, and I turned off my Wii U for the day. What's it say?
Vote4IceClimbers

Top Bottom