• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Breaking the Ice - Ice Climbers DLC Discussion Thread - Under New Ownership!

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Oh no, there's a lot of people who hate Falcondorf. A lot. But there's a significant portion that likes him the way he is. I'm saying there's got to be a way to keep both groups happy.
Eh, as a Wolf and IC's fan I'm not that sympathetic on keeping people happy, let alone a semi-clone:p. I still think the Black Shadow way would be the best way to go, if it's really necessary though.

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
Eh, as a Wolf and IC's fan I'm not that sympathetic on keeping people happy, let alone a semi-clone:p. I still think the Black Shadow way would be the best way to go, if it's really necessary though.
I understand ICs, but why wouldn't a Wolf fan care about making people happy? I mean, some Wolf supporters are a bit too confident, but unlike IC there's no compromise inherent in getting Wolf onto Smash now.

And we've already got Lucas and Roy back as semi-clones, haven't we? And Dr. Mario got his own space because Sakurai didn't want to alienate his (apparently existing) fanbase. We're all in this together. Although the most likely scenario is, unfortunately, Falcondorf stays the same forever and we get no other Ganon. *sobs* Not even sure why I'm upset since I don't play Zelda or know anything about the lore. I suppose I'm just really feeling the frustration Ganondorf fans have.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I understand ICs, but why wouldn't a Wolf fan care about making people happy? I mean, some Wolf supporters are a bit too confident, but unlike IC there's no compromise inherent in getting Wolf onto Smash now.

And we've already got Lucas and Roy back as semi-clones, haven't we? And Dr. Mario got his own space because Sakurai didn't want to alienate his (apparently existing) fanbase. We're all in this together. Although the most likely scenario is, unfortunately, Falcondorf stays the same forever and we get no other Ganon. *sobs* Not even sure why I'm upset since I don't play Zelda or know anything about the lore. I suppose I'm just really feeling the frustration Ganondorf fans have.
It was just a joke, but I still so no reason for people to have such a strong attachment to a character that differs so little. I know people think Wolf is in the same boat, but he doesn't share anything, but a couple specials, and I honestly would love to see those changed too. But then again I hate clones, so that's just me.

Last edited:

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
My fear with all this is that if we get the Ice Climbers back in any form other than what they are now, will he (or whoever adopts this series in the hypothetical scenario where Sakurai leaves) want to keep them that way in the future? I'm really hesitant in supporting anything other than a dual IC for that very reason.

I really wish he'd just go SoPo for 3DS, and regular IC's for Wii U. Why not have a poll for something like that? I know he's hesitant in doing something like that because he doesn't want 3DS fans to feel "ripped off", but how many 3DS fans would really be opposed to something like this?
I think their (likely because 3DS) modification in Smash 4 would be treated as a "just this once" type of change. I'm willing to take anything Ice Climbers over no Ice Climbers at all, but when Smash 5 comes around, chances are ICies will go straight back to their traditional playstyle. I also made a post quite some time ago where characters like ICies, Zelda, Samus, etc. could have different custom playstyles where ICies for example could have their Melee/Brawl playstyle as their default (minus chaingrabs to avoid salt) and their Smash 4 playstyle could be their "Deluxe" version. I'm not sure what Sakurai/ the potential new director would think about only giving a select few characters a second moveset though.
As a 3DS owner, I felt more "cheated" seeing all the modes and stuff available for the Wii U version than I would have been if the IC couldn't appear there for technical reasons. I genuinely felt like I got ripped off. I basically only play the Wii U version now. I'm annoyed that a lot of good stages are stuck on the 3DS because "we got to keep varieties!"

I wonder how many people who bought the 3DS version would have bought the Wii U if there weren't any 3DS version? How many more people would have bought Wii Us, period? I wasn't getting Smash U until I saw how awesome the Wii U version was (and how empty the 3DS one was in comparison).

This is the stupidest idea ever, but what if a very large group of people bought the IC game on the Wii U at the same time? As part of some campaign to show that people still love the IC or whatever. It's probably impossible to coordinate, but it sounded cute. just ignore it
First, long time no see. Second, I feel a similar way about the 3DS as if they were intended to be treated as equal versions. That for the most part didn't turn out to be the case because of the difference in content and different quantity of it as well as fans calling the 3DS version "the appetizer." And I still believe that name holds true. I would rather have the 3DS version made with the mindset that it is a smaller project that's more of a side thing than the main course and we want to build it with the concept of portable Smash in mind first and foremost. Instead, Sakurai and the team consistently put equal focus on both versions and nearly killed themselves in the process. Regarding that, I definitely put blame on the working contract that Sakurai was under where he had to work on both simultaneously. Although having two separate contracts would make development harder, maybe there could've been more space between the two to add flexibility. It may as well have been done that way since there is minimal dual platform interaction which was emphasized when development began. The Smash Wii U 50 Fact Extravaganza also blew the 3DS version out of the water and into oblivion when it showed all the awesome stuff the Wii U version had to offer, much of it not possible on the 3DS version.

As far as your idea goes, I feel like someone mentioned the same thing way back when...
If there was no 3DS version, I'd think that about 95% of the people who have either version of Smash currently would still get the Wii U version. It's Smash for crying out loud! People would've gotten it if it were a Wii U only game.
I remember back in E3 2013 when Smash 4 was announced. When I found out there was gonna be a 3DS version, I groaned. Just by looking at it I thought there would be no way it could be considered a step up from Brawl. I was thinking why, why bother, there's no way it can be capable of performing Smash the same way a console would, and it's just gonna hold the game back. I also was thinking about those fake video game cover art images people make up and one was for Smash Bros. for DS. At the time, I expected handheld Smash to be nothing more than fake box art because I knew the hardware's body just wasn't Reggie. Then when the Wii U gameplay was shown, I was like, "That's better!" and was hyped and then Mega Man. If there was no 3DS version, I could see there being a lot more Wii U sales, but it would negatively affect those who can't afford a Wii U. Still, case in point being, the Wii U version shouldn't have had content cut to make it out to be like the Wii U and 3DS versions are on an equal playing field.
I only got the 3DS one because it was cheaper, I already have a 3DS, and I got the impression there wouldn't be very large differences between them. Clearly I was wrong, because the 3DS version is so incredibly empty compared to the Wii U version. It has a couple of advantages - some nice stages, a better Classic mode (wtf @ WiiU classic, Sakurai), Smash Run is more fun than Smash Tour. But the Wii U version is simply superior. Obviously better graphics, 8 player Smash (this is so much fun played casually with friends), stage creator, big stages, bosses (yes I like them), more trophies, more music variety. I wish there weren't a 3DS version or that we knew about their features before the 3DS release date so I could have just gone for the Wii U one instead of buying the 3DS one and then ending up buying the Wii U one anyway. The only thing I use the 3DS one for now is portability. Going on a trip? Smash time. But... I didn't think it was worth it. Of course, some people did. This is one person's opinion.
I for the most part don't play the 3DS version anymore except for when new DLC characters are out. Last time I played it (I completed the game 100% already by the way) I was doing some battles and Classic mode, and tried out the DLC and eventually just got... bored. I honestly don't find the 3DS version to be nearly as fun as the Wii U version.
Didn't Sakurai intend on only making a 3DS Smash until Iwata ( R.I.P. ) or Miyamoto proposed him a Wii U version aswell? I can understand why they'd cut them for the main game, but not including them for DLC is something i wouldn't understand. Olimar has already gotten some huge changes, why not do the same with the Ice Climbers such as making them inseperable or all the other suggesed alternatives? The 3DS version should not be hindering the Wii U version this much after all.
I believe that was just a misinterpreted rumor from an Iwata Asks interview with Sakurai or something. But no, Smash 4 was intended to have two versions the whole time as shown in Sakurai's project proposal. http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/07/04/english-smash4-project-proposal-slides/
( Though with some minor differences, such as making Pikmins not able to carry items on the 3DS ).
Pikmin can carry items in Smash?! :eek:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I actually didn't know about Smash 4 till a few days after E3 2013. I searched "Super Smash Bros. 4" in the search bar, not even knowing it existed, and was pleasantly surprised. When I saw the initial trailer, my reaction was near the same. "Really? A 3DS Smash? The heck is this?", however when it switched over, my reaction was "Now THAT'S how I like it!!!".

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
There's something about that retro amiibo 3 pack that GameStop has preorders for. Something... missing... Falco plz. We have R.O.B., Mr. Game & Watch, and Duck Hunt. Hmm, who else could perfectly fit that retro NES theme that doesn't already have an amiibo? I wonder...

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
There's something about that retro amiibo 3 pack that GameStop has preorders for. Something... missing... Falco plz. We have R.O.B., Mr. Game & Watch, and Duck Hunt. Hmm, who else could perfectly fit that retro NES theme that doesn't already have an amiibo? I wonder...
Mach Rider obviously.

Flor@

Smash Apprentice
Ganondorf is awesome, just make a new character.

I look forward to any new characters and I trust that Sakurai will make it worth our while, unless something goes terribly wrong for whatever reason.

I still have hope for the ICs. Either way we all know that there must be a bigger and greater Smash Bros game eventually, with more characters and smaller series included, with better service to their respective games (hopefully making us want to go out ans buy then) and that the ICs will definitely make a comeback in it then, if not now.

So, I hope that as many people as possible can get their characters sooner than later, but I know that I'm a fan of Smash 4 because of all of the hype. So if even if we never get what we want in this game, there's always next game. And I expect so much more from the next game. Like, an actual campaign/story again, more
attention to individual characters and their stories in their own games, stuff like that. Then after that, DLC too. Should be great, probably. I've always liked how various Nintendo games all have that Nintendo "feel." Smash Bros accentuates that, but also highlights how all of the characters are unique and interesting.

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
Mach Rider and Excitebiker will join the battle as a duo and they will be daisy chained together. Their moveset will involve both bikes to attack by running people over and they will swap out who's in front mid-battle resulting in different types of attacks and different properties. Final Smash will be their bikes fusing together and become a super mech bike monster and plows through the battlefield.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Do people really like Excite Biker more than Mach Rider?

Mach Rider always struck me as an original, Mad-Max type character, while Excite Biker was just some random Motocross guy. I'd much rather have Mach Rider personally.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I don't care for either really.

I care for Ice Climbers.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Alright I've got a question for us all.

Say the ICies did get in as DLC. What would their alias name be on the Boxing Ring stage? I can only think of "Mountain Climbing Duo" but honestly to me that only sounds half good. Anyone think they can come up with something amazing for this?

Flor@

Smash Apprentice

Say the ICies did get in as DLC. What would their alias name be on the Boxing Ring stage? I can only think of "Mountain Climbing Duo" but honestly to me that only sounds half good. Anyone think they can come up with something amazing for this?
"The Distinguished Duo" especially after making it back in through all of the trials of fate that challenged them. Or,
"(In)seperable Teammates."
EDIT: Yes, with the parenthesis.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
"The Distinguished Duo" especially after making it back in through all of the trials of fate that challenged them. Or,
"(In)seperable Teammates."
EDIT: Yes, with the parenthesis.
"(In)separable Teammates" sounds pretty good. That'd be neat to see for their alias. Though I think a combination of the two you named would be better, like, "(In)separable Duo".

Also, I dunno why, but I'm getting a gut feeling that we'll be getting some more Smash news a lot sooner than we think. And it will be BIG! Still, I think we should keep voting and supporting ICies for DLC. I mean, the Ballot will be over in less than 2 months! If we're not going to get in, might as well show everyone we went down with a fight. And honestly, I think we still have a pretty good chance. And a growing chance at that.

I dunno, maybe it's just me. But I'm really excited for what may be coming. Hopefully we can finally get some news on our duo...

Last edited:

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Since Ice Climbers are my most wanted for DLC, I'm certainly still hoping for them. Heck, part of the interviews made me think Sakurai was just to pressed for time to try fixing the characters that he just went on with it.

If we do get more than the four characters I think we are getting, I think the extra and final 2 will be the Ice Climbers and Wrestler and Reporter, the two scrapped duos. (Yes, I 100% think Wrestler and Reporter were playable in a style much similar to the Ice Climbers).

Some intern is chained to their work station fixing these guys, or at least trying to. Knowing Sakurai, he might even be trying to prolong the team's break up just so he can finish everything he wants to. Especially his planned characters.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Since Ice Climbers are my most wanted for DLC, I'm certainly still hoping for them. Heck, part of the interviews made me think Sakurai was just to pressed for time to try fixing the characters that he just went on with it.

If we do get more than the four characters I think we are getting, I think the extra and final 2 will be the Ice Climbers and Wrestler and Reporter, the two scrapped duos. (Yes, I 100% think Wrestler and Reporter were playable in a style much similar to the Ice Climbers).

Some intern is chained to their work station fixing these guys, or at least trying to. Knowing Sakurai, he might even be trying to prolong the team's break up just so he can finish everything he wants to. Especially his planned characters.
Ya. Sakurai said the full roster was planned before development on the game even began, and we know for a fact the ICies were in that initial roster Sakurai thought of. I don't think he'd just give up on them. Hopefully Sakurai doesn't prolong any mystery about them next time he announces some Smash news, and gives us a clear conclusion for the fate of these guys (being the fact that they're coming as DLC).

Also, really? Wrestler and Reporter? I mean, I guess that's about right wacky for Sakurai, but really? Lol, OK then.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Ya. Sakurai said the full roster was planned before development on the game even began, and we know for a fact the ICies were in that initial roster Sakurai thought of. I don't think he'd just give up on them. Hopefully Sakurai doesn't prolong any mystery about them next time he announces some Smash news, and gives us a clear conclusion for the fate of these guys (being the fact that they're coming as DLC).

Also, really? Wrestler and Reporter? I mean, I guess that's about right wacky for Sakurai, but really? Lol, OK then.
Well yeah, I do know that they were in the game and worked perfectly for Wii U. Some of the stuff though he says (I don't 100% remember what it was) about the 3DS made me think that there is a 75% chance it can be fixed.

And yes, Wrestler and Reporter have that fancy trophy that can switch it's poses. Do any other characters have that? That trophy probably had something to do with how they look on the CSS if you chose to play as Wrestler or Reporter, similar to how you can change between Nana and Popo based off color selection.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Well yeah, I do know that they were in the game and worked perfectly for Wii U. Some of the stuff though he says (I don't 100% remember what it was) about the 3DS made me think that there is a 75% chance it can be fixed.

And yes, Wrestler and Reporter have that fancy trophy that can switch it's poses. Do any other characters have that? That trophy probably had something to do with how they look on the CSS if you chose to play as Wrestler or Reporter, similar to how you can change between Nana and Popo based off color selection.
I still think ICies are being worked on, if Sakurai decided to not give up on them, and doing so just doesn't seem like him. So I think that, if they've been being worked on this entire time, they're just about done now or are ready for battle. Otherwise, we should still be doing everything we can to support them, so they are one of the final "fan service" characters.

And I don't think the switcheroo trophy would have anything to do with the character select screen, but if they were planned, it probably does mean something. I guess the only way we'll ever know is if we get something about them from Nintendo. But let's stay on the mountain that is ICies for DLC.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
I still think ICies are being worked on, if Sakurai decided to not give up on them, and doing so just doesn't seem like him. So I think that, if they've been being worked on this entire time, they're just about done now or are ready for battle. Otherwise, we should still be doing everything we can to support them, so they are one of the final "fan service" characters.

And I don't think the switcheroo trophy would have anything to do with the character select screen, but if they were planned, it probably does mean something. I guess the only way we'll ever know is if we get something about them from Nintendo. But let's stay on the mountain that is ICies for DLC.
Oh I certainly think they are still and were being worked on. But I think Sakurai realized it wouldn't be fixed in the time frame he wanted, so he said, "We will try for DLC." Ice Climbers went along with Mewtwo, and were in a different section of the developmental team. Mewtwo just happened to get out first. Sakurai now has the time to see what's wrong and how to fix it. He didn't have the time when the game was about to come out.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I'm pretty sure Kyle Hyde has a trophy like that in either 4 or Brawl. Doesn't mean he was ever planned to be playable though.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Rhythm Heaven and WarioWare trophies got special behind poses. Doesn't mean they were planned to be playable.

Here's the :4link: to Sakurai's Miiverse post. https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHhoYnj82w
You my friend, are a national bad pun award recipient. Lol, just joking.

I sure do hope we get more Smash news soon...as two stages, a few Mii costumes (of which I only bought 2), tournament mode (which I'll probably rarely use), and the YouTube thing, just wasn't pleasing enough really.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
You my friend, are a national bad pun award recipient. Lol, just joking.

I sure do hope we get more Smash news soon...as two stages, a few Mii costumes (of which I only bought 2), tournament mode (which I'll probably rarely use), and the YouTube thing, just wasn't pleasing enough really.
I'm dying for something big. It's been too long (I don't count Ryu or Roy as big since I hate both of them with a burning passion).

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Roy and Ryu were leaked, and that's why I don't count it as something major. Leaking killjoys spoil EVERYTHING! They kill the hype! And I'm sick and tired of it. Flipping idiots...

Other than that, I don't really have much against the characters. They're fun and neat additions. But the ICies are what I REALLY want. And I'd rather they not be spoiled, even if they are the only DLC character that I really care for (except maybe Wolf, he's cool, and shouldn't have been cut :)).

Last edited:

RodNutTakin

Smash Ace
well, it's august, and since it's been two months since E3 we are bound to get a direct sooner or later

in terms of veterans, the duo are probably a good priority, considering they are the last major cut besides wolf (pichu's addition would be THE DREAM tho)

and I do have a good feeling that the next direct will have something smash related (hoping for more MK8 as well)

do you think our favorite eskimos have a chance this time ???

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
well, it's august, and since it's been two months since E3 we are bound to get a direct sooner or later

in terms of veterans, the duo are probably a good priority, considering they are the last major cut besides wolf (pichu's addition would be THE DREAM tho)

and I do have a good feeling that the next direct will have something smash related (hoping for more MK8 as well)

do you think our favorite eskimos have a chance this time ???
If they are to be DLC, I have a feeling we will be getting confirmation of it within the next 2 Nintendo Directs.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
It's pretty hard to make one considering we don't have anything to build on with. I mean, it's not like we have them as DLC costumes (thank goodness for that!!!) or anything to really make our Miis look like them. Heck, we don't even have a hoodie or parka to wear!

JaylonSonicSpeed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JaylnSonicSpeed
Whelp, time to get off my bum and do something.
Guys, it's obivous...
.... duh

Maybe "Mountaineering Musketeers". I know it's stupid, but ehh.

So now I have a question for you guys. If the Ice Climbers came back, do you think they would get their own stage again? If so, would it be all new or a returning one, and how would their music work since all of their music is in Wrecking Crew (and I think Duck Hunt, don't quoe me on that)?

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I think if they were to come back, Summit would come back with them. It got pretty popular there for a second. Don't know about the music though.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
I think if they were to come back, Summit would come back with them. It got pretty popular there for a second. Don't know about the music though.
See I always thought that they were going to have a retro climbing stage, but it was replaced by Wrecking Bros. I don't know where that thought came from though, maybe cause of the music on it.

Regardless, Sakurai will probably bring back Summit as DLC once he looks at the ballot. It's one Brawl stage that needs to be added/

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
Chances are that Summit is most likely to return, and maybe some new ICies stage. The music would'nt be an issue because the same music can be used with multiple stages. So it will have Ice Climber, Icicle Mountain (Melee), Balloon Trip, Shin Onigashima, and Clu Clu Land. They could go in and throw in some new remixes too.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Chances are that Summit is most likely to return, and maybe some new ICies stage. The music would'nt be an issue because the same music can be used with multiple stages. So it will have Ice Climber, Icicle Mountain (Melee), Balloon Trip, Shin Onigashima, and Clu Clu Land. They could go in and throw in some new remixes too.
Don't forget Tal Tal Heights!

But ya, I agree with falcomaster. It's either Summit or as new stage, with all the music from Summit returning on whatever stage we get.

Flor@

Smash Apprentice
Was playing the ICs against a computer on brawl the other day. They're not as terrible as I used to make them out to be. I sorta used to complain that the only thing that makes them that viable is their chain-grab mechanics. But sometimes with the two of them together, some real damage can be dished out. I think I dealt like 24 damage once with one of their smash attacks?! They really don't feel that strong at all but I found that number-wise, they really can dish out damage!
If they do make it back into Smash, ever, I guess they should keep their flaky but sometimes useful side-B, just sort of make it a better recovery move somehow. And... my goodness their belay is such a weird move. I guess it's something I'd get used to after playing them a bit more now, since I've learned a lot since I last played Brawl, but doesn't it still seem odd and... just not that intuitive to use? At least not with the way it's animated in Brawl and Melee. Based on some intangible radius, you may or may not belay with both Ice Climbers? Sometimes it works, sometimes not, and if you try to save your secondary Climber you may end up suiciding because alone, their recovery is not good?
With the way Smash 4 has made all of those weird things make a little more sense, I sense that their Up-B would get an overhaul? But I could be wrong, maybe it's just something I'm weirded out by personally.

Anyways I hope the ICs make it in, and yeah Sakurai may or may not be planning something, but let's not forget how much effort Sakurai and the team seemed to have put into fixing the ICs. If I recall correctly, they removed things like gravity and still couldn't get them to function. That's crazy, and it almost seems like, at this point, solo IC (temporarily, until the next smash), is the way to go. It'd make up for the lost time trying to get the pair to work somewhat, by at least having an individual climber there. They did have them functioning on the Wii U version at some point. Wonder if it's not too late.

(also, I wonder if, after all this time, my name is not on the 'IC supporter list' that I have heard of on smashboards, being whispered in the wind)

Top Bottom