• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Breaking the Ice - Ice Climbers DLC Discussion Thread - Under New Ownership!

Smasher89

Smash Lord
I had the ICs chant happen before anyone had mentioned it anywere while i played the japanese version onlince, recorded it even (replays gone now and the vid i uploaded had terrible quality). It was definitly a Ice climbers chant considering there were 2 choirs, a male choir for Popo and a female choir for Nana.
New 3ds has been released since that statement and i think when a AI update comes, Ice climbers will follow. Considering they dont have a skin for the miifighters i think that is also a good thing. Even gamebalance would benefit from ICs since ICs has generally been a go to character to counter shiek, who is right now the by far best char in the game.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
New 3ds has been released since that statement and i think when a AI update comes, Ice climbers will follow.
While I think there's still a chance that the IC's come back, I don't know if the New 3DS will be the deciding factor. Sakurai seems to be an all or nothing kind of guy, if he can't get them to work on vanilla 3DS he just won't do it.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
While I think there's still a chance that the IC's come back, I don't know if the New 3DS will be the deciding factor. Sakurai seems to be an all or nothing kind of guy, if he can't get them to work on vanilla 3DS he just won't do it.
Yep, that's also why Wii U exclusive is also a slim chance.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Musta missed a notification. Least there wasn't too much to catch up on. Wake up guys!!!

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Seriously though, I don't get any notifications for this thread. What's the deal with that?

Anyway has anyone else here done the Top 10 most wanted DLC yet? I got the Ice Climbers to move up to 7 (whoop:bluejump:), but I need them to pass up Snake who's at 6. They're like 11 pts down or something, so get over there and vote dammit!:grin:

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Just playing the waiting game until the next Direct... I don't think the Ice Climbers would be reduced to Mii costumes because I could see where that would create a lot of backlash because fans would undoubtedly see that as a massive downgrade.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Link please!!!
Who me? Well ask and you shall receive :http://smashboards.com/threads/top-10-most-wanted-characters-for-dlc-in-smash-4.398956/

Just playing the waiting game until the next Direct... I don't think the Ice Climbers would be reduced to Mii costumes because I could see where that would create a lot of backlash because fans would undoubtedly see that as a massive downgrade.
I'm hoping it's soon. I was really expecting to see something at E3, so right now I'm dying to see some sweet Smash Bros news.

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
Happy 45th birthday Daddy Sakurai!

Seriously though, I don't get any notifications for this thread. What's the deal with that?

Anyway has anyone else here done the Top 10 most wanted DLC yet? I got the Ice Climbers to move up to 7 (whoop:bluejump:), but I need them to pass up Snake who's at 6. They're like 11 pts down or something, so get over there and vote dammit!:grin:
I was a little late on getting my top 10 in. The second half is basically filler for me but everyone I put on it I would like to see. I couldn't think of anything really good or compelling to say about ICies (my #1 pick obviously). Not really feeling like thinking today. I was focusing more on the points than the description.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I was a little late on getting my top 10 in. The second half is basically filler for me but everyone I put on it I would like to see. I couldn't think of anything really good or compelling to say about ICies (my #1 pick obviously). Not really feeling like thinking today. I was focusing more on the points than the description.
Well your description(s) ended up being better than mine anyway:glare:. It's all good though, the more support the better!

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
So Alax made a new video that ties into Source Gaming's articles. Nothing mentioned about ICies directly, but still nice to see YouTubers like Relax Alax and Did You Know Gaming help publicize this information and trivia. Always appreciated when common misconceptions are put to rest.

Also, it's odd to see Etika on the Wii U gamepad and Alax on the 3DS when Alax said his eyes do not like the 3DS screen and Etika has always liked using the 3DS as his Smash 4 controller.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
If there was something like Super Street Fighter for Smash 4 on the NX (Super Super Smash Bros?) that had the Ice Climbers would that be enough to get you to buy it? The game I mean, not the console.

Mariofan5000

Smash Rookie
NNID
mariofan5020
3DS FC
4828-7793-1290
If there was something like Super Street Fighter for Smash 4 on the NX (Super Super Smash Bros?) that had the Ice Climbers would that be enough to get you to buy it? The game I mean, not the console.
As long as it's affordable, though DLC for Smash 4 makes something like that unlikely.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I don't know about anyone else, but I would. I'd have some questions though like: If you decided to make Ice Climbers an exclusive to a specific console, why couldn't it have been the Wii U?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I don't know about anyone else, but I would. I'd have some questions though like: If you decided to make Ice Climbers an exclusive to a specific console, why couldn't it have been the Wii U?
Because they're adamant about the WiiU and 3DS games being the same and 3DS can't handle them parkas. I'm not Sakurai, only one of my fingers is in pain.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Because they're adamant about the WiiU and 3DS games being the same and 3DS can't handle them parkas. I'm not Sakurai, only one of my fingers is in pain.
That's bound for some backlash, but I can live with it. Whatever gets me my main back.

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
Sakurai changed his mind on numerous things before. The only reason we don't have ICies in any form on the Wii U is because of his roster parity rule. I'd say it's a matter of what would cause less backlash: keeping both rosters identical resulting in the prevention of ICies because the 3DS version disallowed the Wii U version to live up to its full potential and intention, or make ICies Wii U exclusive if the 3DS no way no how can get ICies to work? First, let's determine who it would satisfy. Identical rosters will make 3DS owners in particular satisfied knowing they won't be (heavy quotations) "locked out" of any exclusive content. Others in favor of the roster parity will be fine with it. Ice Climbers haters will yet again rejoice that they won't have to deal with them at all. Who does this upset? Primarily Ice Climbers fans and mains. Those who love the characters are heartbroken to know that Sakurai couldn't just make one exception to give them at least some opportunity to play as them in the fourth installment of Smash. Wii U owners knowing they have the more capable version will cry foul because they lost content due to the less powerful version.

If they're Wii U exclusive if the 3DS just can't do it, Ice Climbers fans will be so happy and relieved to have their mains or favorite characters back. Wii U owners will be glad to know that they are getting all the intended content in Smash Wii U. Who does this upset? 3DS owners, especially 3DS owners who are also ICies mains who will be upset for being "locked out" of content. Haters gonna hate. Neutrals will be neutral.

I put the quotations around "locked out" of content because while it's true that its bigger sibling is getting exclusive content, it's not exactly the same in this context. When players are locked out of content in a game, known examples are when publishers/developers strip content from a game and move it somewhere else likely to be distributed separately or access is blocked and requires something outside of the game. The point I'm getting at here is when they want you to pay extra for exclusive content and more extreme examples are when you are forced to buy another game similar to what you own. Take Hyrule Warriors for example. Hyrule Warriors Legends will have exclusive characters that you can obtain in-game. Tetra and the King of Red Lions. Hyrule Warriors on the Wii U can also receive these characters... with a catch. Instead of downloading them as DLC, you have to own the 3DS version in order to transfer them to your Wii U version. Wii U owners of Hyrule Warriors are locked out of certain characters unless they buy a whole other game. That's locking someone out of content in a game that has two versions. With the Ice Climbers, it's more like an extension of the Wii U's technical capability. From my perspective, I don't believe it can be considered a lock if the version isn't capable of it in the first place. Besides, the Wii U version already has way more to offer than the 3DS version content-wise. 8PS, more than double the music, Special Smash, Miiverse Stage, Tournament Mode, bigger stages that would make the fighters too small on the 3DS, More stages, Palutena's Guidance, etc. It's all shown in the 50 Fact Extravaganza. The Wii U version deserves to boast its power for a game like Smash which was born on home consoles and has been made with home consoles in mind.

There are probably many crucial points that I missed. I don't think it was a good idea to try to gain a perspective on large general crowds and try to figure out what they think. It's not fair to assume that. There's probably quite a bit I said that was wrong.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Sakurai changed his mind on numerous things before. The only reason we don't have ICies in any form on the Wii U is because of his roster parity rule. I'd say it's a matter of what would cause less backlash: keeping both rosters identical resulting in the prevention of ICies because the 3DS version disallowed the Wii U version to live up to its full potential and intention, or make ICies Wii U exclusive if the 3DS no way no how can get ICies to work? First, let's determine who it would satisfy. Identical rosters will make 3DS owners in particular satisfied knowing they won't be (heavy quotations) "locked out" of any exclusive content. Others in favor of the roster parity will be fine with it. Ice Climbers haters will yet again rejoice that they won't have to deal with them at all. Who does this upset? Primarily Ice Climbers fans and mains. Those who love the characters are heartbroken to know that Sakurai couldn't just make one exception to give them at least some opportunity to play as them in the fourth installment of Smash. Wii U owners knowing they have the more capable version will cry foul because they lost content due to the less powerful version.

If they're Wii U exclusive if the 3DS just can't do it, Ice Climbers fans will be so happy and relieved to have their mains or favorite characters back. Wii U owners will be glad to know that they are getting all the intended content in Smash Wii U. Who does this upset? 3DS owners, especially 3DS owners who are also ICies mains who will be upset for being "locked out" of content. Haters gonna hate. Neutrals will be neutral.

I put the quotations around "locked out" of content because while it's true that its bigger sibling is getting exclusive content, it's not exactly the same in this context. When players are locked out of content in a game, known examples are when publishers/developers strip content from a game and move it somewhere else likely to be distributed separately or access is blocked and requires something outside of the game. The point I'm getting at here is when they want you to pay extra for exclusive content and more extreme examples are when you are forced to buy another game similar to what you own. Take Hyrule Warriors for example. Hyrule Warriors Legends will have exclusive characters that you can obtain in-game. Tetra and the King of Red Lions. Hyrule Warriors on the Wii U can also receive these characters... with a catch. Instead of downloading them as DLC, you have to own the 3DS version in order to transfer them to your Wii U version. Wii U owners of Hyrule Warriors are locked out of certain characters unless they buy a whole other game. That's locking someone out of content in a game that has two versions. With the Ice Climbers, it's more like an extension of the Wii U's technical capability. From my perspective, I don't believe it can be considered a lock if the version isn't capable of it in the first place. Besides, the Wii U version already has way more to offer than the 3DS version content-wise. 8PS, more than double the music, Special Smash, Miiverse Stage, Tournament Mode, bigger stages that would make the fighters too small on the 3DS, More stages, Palutena's Guidance, etc. It's all shown in the 50 Fact Extravaganza. The Wii U version deserves to boast its power for a game like Smash which was born on home consoles and has been made with home consoles in mind.

There are probably many crucial points that I missed. I don't think it was a good idea to try to gain a perspective on large general crowds and try to figure out what they think. It's not fair to assume that. There's probably quite a bit I said that was wrong.
Not that bit about Smash Wii U owners crying foul though. I've been doing that since we knew it was the 3DS that held them back. :mad:

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
Not that bit about Smash Wii U owners crying foul though. I've been doing that since we knew it was the 3DS that held them back. :mad:
That is technically what happened. The exact opposite of a euphemism. We lost our mains because of that rule. Aside from characters, battle mechanics, etc., the differences between the two are day and night. At least the way it was stated still gives us reason to believe the issue's fixable. If modifications need to be made, so be it. I trust potential changes will be able to satisfy our desires. We can be flexible enough to that. Sakurai has a way of throwing our expectations way off track. He sure knows how to direct hype. If Sakurai is willing to give ICies a second chance, I know he will want to utilize them the best way that works. Maybe as a way to avoid pressuring him (as if he actually knew about this) I was thinking about approaching ICies with a somewhat different mindset. "This :popo: or something better :popo:
." The idea I'm thinking is that we could apply this externally to the Smash Ballot DLC hype. What I'm thinking is if we communicate this thought publicly, people might feel less hopeless about bringing ICies back and more hopeful on seeing a new and improved never before thought of revamped Ice Climbers Smash playstyle. This is what I mean by the flexibility part. Seeing how traditional ICies have caused a dilemma in the 3DS department, I personally would like to see a new playstyle of ICies that isn't just a solo Ice Climber if avoidable. We all know about Sakurai's creative genius, but we can't come close to fathoming it. So I believe that the "this or something better" mentality will indirectly benefit the gears in Sakurai's head and allow for his creative solution to come to him naturally. In turn, that's our best opportunity for the best ICies mod. Doing the characters and their old playstyle justice, compatible on both versions, anything is possible.

In another way to put it, I propose we go into perspective somewhat like potential newcomer supporters do where something special can apply to the character that hasn't been done in Smash yet or not the same way and everything's on the table providing all the necessary creative tools. I feel that it would be a good way to help out those who may be unsure. It could also help us possibly feel more calm and hopeful, and could trigger newer, brighter ideas. It may sound crazy, but I just want another way to help.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
That is technically what happened. The exact opposite of a euphemism. We lost our mains because of that rule. Aside from characters, battle mechanics, etc., the differences between the two are day and night. At least the way it was stated still gives us reason to believe the issue's fixable. If modifications need to be made, so be it. I trust potential changes will be able to satisfy our desires. We can be flexible enough to that. Sakurai has a way of throwing our expectations way off track. He sure knows how to direct hype. If Sakurai is willing to give ICies a second chance, I know he will want to utilize them the best way that works. Maybe as a way to avoid pressuring him (as if he actually knew about this) I was thinking about approaching ICies with a somewhat different mindset. "This :popo: or something better :popo:
." The idea I'm thinking is that we could apply this externally to the Smash Ballot DLC hype. What I'm thinking is if we communicate this thought publicly, people might feel less hopeless about bringing ICies back and more hopeful on seeing a new and improved never before thought of revamped Ice Climbers Smash playstyle. This is what I mean by the flexibility part. Seeing how traditional ICies have caused a dilemma in the 3DS department, I personally would like to see a new playstyle of ICies that isn't just a solo Ice Climber if avoidable. We all know about Sakurai's creative genius, but we can't come close to fathoming it. So I believe that the "this or something better" mentality will indirectly benefit the gears in Sakurai's head and allow for his creative solution to come to him naturally. In turn, that's our best opportunity for the best ICies mod. Doing the characters and their old playstyle justice, compatible on both versions, anything is possible.

In another way to put it, I propose we go into perspective somewhat like potential newcomer supporters do where something special can apply to the character that hasn't been done in Smash yet or not the same way and everything's on the table providing all the necessary creative tools. I feel that it would be a good way to help out those who may be unsure. It could also help us possibly feel more calm and hopeful, and could trigger newer, brighter ideas. It may sound crazy, but I just want another way to help.
My fear with all this is that if we get the Ice Climbers back in any form other than what they are now, will he (or whoever adopts this series in the hypothetical scenario where Sakurai leaves) want to keep them that way in the future? I'm really hesitant in supporting anything other than a dual IC for that very reason.

I really wish he'd just go SoPo for 3DS, and regular IC's for Wii U. Why not have a poll for something like that? I know he's hesitant in doing something like that because he doesn't want 3DS fans to feel "ripped off", but how many 3DS fans would really be opposed to something like this?

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
As a 3DS owner, I felt more "cheated" seeing all the modes and stuff available for the Wii U version than I would have been if the IC couldn't appear there for technical reasons. I genuinely felt like I got ripped off. I basically only play the Wii U version now. I'm annoyed that a lot of good stages are stuck on the 3DS because "we got to keep varieties!"

I wonder how many people who bought the 3DS version would have bought the Wii U if there weren't any 3DS version? How many more people would have bought Wii Us, period? I wasn't getting Smash U until I saw how awesome the Wii U version was (and how empty the 3DS one was in comparison).

This is the stupidest idea ever, but what if a very large group of people bought the IC game on the Wii U at the same time? As part of some campaign to show that people still love the IC or whatever. It's probably impossible to coordinate, but it sounded cute. just ignore it

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
As a 3DS owner, I felt more "cheated" seeing all the modes and stuff available for the Wii U version than I would have been if the IC couldn't appear there for technical reasons. I genuinely felt like I got ripped off. I basically only play the Wii U version now. I'm annoyed that a lot of good stages are stuck on the 3DS because "we got to keep varieties!"

I wonder how many people who bought the 3DS version would have bought the Wii U if there weren't any 3DS version? How many more people would have bought Wii Us, period? I wasn't getting Smash U until I saw how awesome the Wii U version was (and how empty the 3DS one was in comparison).

This is the stupidest idea ever, but what if a very large group of people bought the IC game on the Wii U at the same time? As part of some campaign to show that people still love the IC or whatever. It's probably impossible to coordinate, but it sounded cute. just ignore it
If there was no 3DS version, I'd think that about 95% of the people who have either version of Smash currently would still get the Wii U version. It's Smash for crying out loud! People would've gotten it if it were a Wii U only game.

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
If there was no 3DS version, I'd think that about 95% of the people who have either version of Smash currently would still get the Wii U version. It's Smash for crying out loud! People would've gotten it if it were a Wii U only game.
I only got the 3DS one because it was cheaper, I already have a 3DS, and I got the impression there wouldn't be very large differences between them. Clearly I was wrong, because the 3DS version is so incredibly empty compared to the Wii U version. It has a couple of advantages - some nice stages, a better Classic mode (wtf @ WiiU classic, Sakurai), Smash Run is more fun than Smash Tour. But the Wii U version is simply superior. Obviously better graphics, 8 player Smash (this is so much fun played casually with friends), stage creator, big stages, bosses (yes I like them), more trophies, more music variety. I wish there weren't a 3DS version or that we knew about their features before the 3DS release date so I could have just gone for the Wii U one instead of buying the 3DS one and then ending up buying the Wii U one anyway. The only thing I use the 3DS one for now is portability. Going on a trip? Smash time. But... I didn't think it was worth it. Of course, some people did. This is one person's opinion.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I'm down. Hopefully someone better at this stuff than me will try and set something up.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I only got the 3DS one because it was cheaper, I already have a 3DS, and I got the impression there wouldn't be very large differences between them. Clearly I was wrong, because the 3DS version is so incredibly empty compared to the Wii U version. It has a couple of advantages - some nice stages, a better Classic mode (wtf @ WiiU classic, Sakurai), Smash Run is more fun than Smash Tour. But the Wii U version is simply superior. Obviously better graphics, 8 player Smash (this is so much fun played casually with friends), stage creator, big stages, bosses (yes I like them), more trophies, more music variety. I wish there weren't a 3DS version or that we knew about their features before the 3DS release date so I could have just gone for the Wii U one instead of buying the 3DS one and then ending up buying the Wii U one anyway. The only thing I use the 3DS one for now is portability. Going on a trip? Smash time. But... I didn't think it was worth it. Of course, some people did. This is one person's opinion.
Ya, I actually can't decide between the two classic modes. Both are pretty well done if you ask me.

But ya, it's pretty obvious the Wii U version is far superior to the thing we call Smash 3DS.

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
I'm down. Hopefully someone better at this stuff than me will try and set something up.
Basically I was just thinking how the K. Rool people are so successful at promoting him. Wolf has a lot of visibility too. The support for IC is more subdued, even though they usually poll within the top 10 of fan polls. If there were some sort of concentrated promo campaign, like getting a hashtag trending (I don't know if there are even enough fans for this, ha), it could serve the dual purpose of reminding people that the IC exist (and therefore vote for them) and showing Nintendo that we do pay attention to them and love them. I thought about the IC game because it's not crazy expensive and a sudden spike of interest in the game would catch people's eye, but there's probably a better way that doesn't involve spending money. I know we don't all have $6-7 to frivolously spend.

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250
Didn't Sakurai intend on only making a 3DS Smash until Iwata ( R.I.P. ) or Miyamoto proposed him a Wii U version aswell? I can understand why they'd cut them for the main game, but not including them for DLC is something i wouldn't understand. Olimar has already gotten some huge changes, why not do the same with the Ice Climbers such as making them inseperable or all the other suggesed alternatives? The 3DS version should not be hindering the Wii U version this much after all.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Basically I was just thinking how the K. Rool people are so successful at promoting him. Wolf has a lot of visibility too. The support for IC is more subdued, even though they usually poll within the top 10 of fan polls. If there were some sort of concentrated promo campaign, like getting a hashtag trending (I don't know if there are even enough fans for this, ha), it could serve the dual purpose of reminding people that the IC exist (and therefore vote for them) and showing Nintendo that we do pay attention to them and love them. I thought about the IC game because it's not crazy expensive and a sudden spike of interest in the game would catch people's eye, but there's probably a better way that doesn't involve spending money. I know we don't all have $6-7 to frivolously spend.
Well I just opened up a poll here, asking the very question I did in the other post, so that could be a start. I think the reason the IC's support is so quiet is much like the reason Ridley support is dying down; people are convinced there's no way they'll make it in. I know from the initial reaction of the IC's getting cut, that they're much more beloved then people are putting on these days. Hopefully something will come up that eventually changes people's minds.

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
Didn't Sakurai intend on only making a 3DS Smash until Iwata ( R.I.P. ) or Miyamoto proposed him a Wii U version aswell? I can understand why they'd cut them for the main game, but not including them for DLC is something i wouldn't understand. Olimar has already gotten some huge changes, why not do the same with the Ice Climbers such as making them inseperable or all the other suggesed alternatives? The 3DS version should not be hindering the Wii U version this much after all.
I feel like more effort was put into the Wii U version, so this is shocking news to me. I wonder what a 3DS-only Smash would have looked like.

Sakurai is very particular about his vision and how he feels each character is represented according to their series and. He's okay with keeping Falcondorf, but having a black Pit costume use the 3 sacred treasures is blasphemy and requires its own slot (this one is odd; we have a Claus costume for Lucas and nobody's freaking out because Claus is out of character). Ridley can't be resized because that goes against what he is. He wouldn't put the Villager in Brawl because he thought violence was not keeping with the spirit of AC. Of course, he also changed his mind on that, showing that his vision isn't static. But he does have a vision, and it doesn't usually waver.

Perhaps he thought the sacrifices that would have to be made for IC were too great. Remember the great Falcondorf dilemma - once a character gets in a certain way, you can't change them because people are used to that playstyle. Hence why Luigification only goes up to a certain point. Hence why he made Dr. Mario his own character and not a Mario costume. No way he'll remove the dual play gimmick - it goes too much against how he envisioned the IC. We don't know what alternatives he looked into, if he even looked into any, but clearly there wasn't any way to keep the IC faithful to his vision on the 3DS. I believe him when I say he tried everything he could.

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250
I feel like more effort was put into the Wii U version, so this is shocking news to me. I wonder what a 3DS-only Smash would have looked like.

Sakurai is very particular about his vision and how he feels each character is represented according to their series and. He's okay with keeping Falcondorf, but having a black Pit costume use the 3 sacred treasures is blasphemy and requires its own slot (this one is odd; we have a Claus costume for Lucas and nobody's freaking out because Claus is out of character). Ridley can't be resized because that goes against what he is. He wouldn't put the Villager in Brawl because he thought violence was not keeping with the spirit of AC. Of course, he also changed his mind on that, showing that his vision isn't static. But he does have a vision, and it doesn't usually waver.

Perhaps he thought the sacrifices that would have to be made for IC were too great. Remember the great Falcondorf dilemma - once a character gets in a certain way, you can't change them because people are used to that playstyle. Hence why Luigification only goes up to a certain point. Hence why he made Dr. Mario his own character and not a Mario costume. No way he'll remove the dual play gimmick - it goes too much against how he envisioned the IC. We don't know what alternatives he looked into, if he even looked into any, but clearly there wasn't any way to keep the IC faithful to his vision on the 3DS. I believe him when I say he tried everything he could.
Reminds me that i'll probably never get Wario Land Wario in Smash because he wasn't in Melee :crying:. I still do think that two inseperable ICs are more likely than Wii U exlusives as two seperable ICs. Sakurai's vision is pretty clear that he strictly wants all characters to fight the same way across both versions ( Though with some minor differences, such as making Pikmins not able to carry items on the 3DS ).

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993

I do and don't. I believe that he tried everything he could to keep with his original vision, but there are still obvious solutions being ignored in my opinion that doesn't fit his "vision" that wavers for no one.

It honestly bothers me when he claims to do things for fans when fans seem to be be almost 100% diametrically opposed to some of the things he does. The Falcondorf thing is honestly the perfect example, I've never heard anyone say that they need to keep Ganondorf the way he is, yet Sakurai comes to the conclusion that that is what people want. It blows my mind.

Ice Climbers are really no different. I'm almost certain most fans would be cool with the Wii U having one exclusive character, or even a gimped version of said character, but no he knows what people want. Nothing. They want no character at all. Top notch solution right there.

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
I do and don't. I believe that he tried everything he could to keep with his original vision, but there are still obvious solutions being ignored in my opinion that doesn't fit his "vision" that wavers for no one.

It honestly bothers me when he claims to do things for fans when fans seem to be be almost 100% diametrically opposed to some of the things he does. The Falcondorf thing is honestly the perfect example, I've never heard anyone say that they need to keep Ganondorf the way he is, yet Sakurai comes to the conclusion that that is what people want. It blows my mind.

Ice Climbers are really no different. I'm almost certain most fans would be cool with the Wii U having one exclusive character, or even a gimped version of said character, but no he knows what people want. Nothing. They want no character at all. Top notch solution right there.
Oh I agree entirely. I meant he tried to get them to fit within his vision. But I'm skeptical as to how much he was willing to change that vision. He's stubborn - or dedicated, depending on how you view it. That's good on one hand because it means we didn't end up with that new Pac-Man design. But every rose has its thorn, and boy is this rose thorny.

As for Falcondorf, there is a significant portion of people that enjoy playing as him. I can't give numbers or percentages, but they're out there. And let's be honest - it wouldn't be fair to leave those people without a main to make him more accurate to how he is in-game. A common solution is to have a new character be a more accurate Ganondorf while leaving Falcondorf the way he is. Win-win! (I don't know anything about Zelda so I don't know how that would work, but I've heard it said) The part that really gets me is when he says Ganondorf was "lucky." I'm pretty sure Wario fans wouldn't consider themselves lucky if he had gotten into Melee but at the cost of being a Mario clone as opposed to what he is now. I almost feel Ganondorf would have been better off not being in Melee at all so as to give him the time he needed in Brawl, but what's done is done.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
As for Falcondorf, there is a significant portion of people that enjoy playing as him. I can't give numbers or percentages, but they're out there. And let's be honest - it wouldn't be fair to leave those people without a main to make him more accurate to how he is in-game. A common solution is to have a new character be a more accurate Ganondorf while leaving Falcondorf the way he is. Win-win! (I don't know anything about Zelda so I don't know how that would work, but I've heard it said) The part that really gets me is when he says Ganondorf was "lucky." I'm pretty sure Wario fans wouldn't consider themselves lucky if he had gotten into Melee but at the cost of being a Mario clone as opposed to what he is now. I almost feel Ganondorf would have been better off not being in Melee at all so as to give him the time he needed in Brawl, but what's done is done.
I don't know, I'm a pretty big Ganondorf fan, but I hate the fact he's still like Falcon, and have never met a person who thinks otherwise up to this point. I've seen some suggest that Black Shadow should come in and take Ganondorf's kit, while G-Dorf gets his own set, but honestly I don't think that's all necessary. I guess making characters more original just doesn't appeal to as many people as I thought.

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
I don't know, I'm a pretty big Ganondorf fan, but I hate the fact he's still like Falcon, and have never met a person who thinks otherwise up to this point. I've seen some suggest that Black Shadow should come in and take Ganondorf's kit, while G-Dorf gets his own set, but honestly I don't think that's all necessary. I guess making characters more original just doesn't appeal to as many people as I thought.
Oh no, there's a lot of people who hate Falcondorf. A lot. But there's a significant portion that likes him the way he is. I'm saying there's got to be a way to keep both groups happy.

Top Bottom