• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Breaking the Ice - Ice Climbers DLC Discussion Thread - Under New Ownership!

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Ya, I think, in Brawl (and don't quote me on this, since it was back when Brawl was relevant, like, 2.5 years ago), their down smash, when the opponent was right in the center of the circle (like, right on top of the climbers), it could do 56% damage fully charged. No lie.

I honestly want (and hope/think) that a solo Climber will be available on 3DS, with the duo in their traditional form on Wii U. That'd be my preferred option.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I honestly want (and hope/think) that a solo Climber will be available on 3DS, with the duo in their traditional form on Wii U. That'd be my preferred option.
I have a poll up for that very thing. So far, the majority of people agree with you, but it's not a big enough margin of victory for me to be comfortable with it. Please vote if you haven't done so already.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I have a poll up for that very thing. So far, the majority of people agree with you, but it's not a big enough margin of victory for me to be comfortable with it. Please vote if you haven't done so already.
Link. NOW.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
I personally wish that the lack luster 3DS version hadn't been made. It's much weaker a game than the Wii U version. It also forced the original concepts of Ice Climbers, Pokemon Trainer, and Zelda to be changed/Cut

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
I personally wish that the lack luster 3DS version hadn't been made. It's much weaker a game than the Wii U version. It also forced the original concepts of Ice Climbers, Pokemon Trainer, and Zelda to be changed/Cut
The only thing I hate about the 3DS version is really Ice Climbers being cut. I thought the seperation of Zelda and Sheik (also Samus and ZSS) were fine. Pokemon Trainer is a whole different story. While I don't mind Squirtle and Ivysaur being cut, I like the Pokemon Trainer in the background. Out of the three, Charizard is the only one who really deserves a spot (being like one of the most popular Pokemon ever), so I don't mind the exclusion of Squirtle and Ivysaur.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I'm the same way, but what can you do? I was never really a fan of PT or transformations either, so there's that. I guess I'm just done being upset by something I can't change at this point. Time to just buckle down, and support the IC's. No real reason to keep looking to the past.

Last edited:

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
The only thing I hate about the 3DS version is really Ice Climbers being cut. I thought the seperation of Zelda and Sheik (also Samus and ZSS) were fine. Pokemon Trainer is a whole different story. While I don't mind Squirtle and Ivysaur being cut, I like the Pokemon Trainer in the background. Out of the three, Charizard is the only one who really deserves a spot (being like one of the most popular Pokemon ever), so I don't mind the exclusion of Squirtle and Ivysaur.
Sure Ivysaur and Squirtle you could argue they shouldn't be there but the Trainer mechanic was so original and perfectly represented the series. I thought he was the nearest newcomer.

I'm the same way, but what can you do? I was never really a fan of PT or transformations either, so there's that. I guess I'm just done being upset by something I can't change at this point. Time to just buckle down, and support the IC's. No real reason to keep looking to the past.
Yeah I get what you mean for sure. It's just I think the Wii U would have sold better anyway if people would get it just for Smash. They didn't need to since the 3DS version existed.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Sure Ivysaur and Squirtle you could argue they shouldn't be there but the Trainer mechanic was so original and perfectly represented the series. I thought he was the nearest newcomer.

Yeah I get what you mean for sure. It's just I think the Wii U would have sold better anyway if people would get it just for Smash. They didn't need to since the 3DS version existed.
Yes, the Trainer mechanic with the switching out embodied what you do in Pokemon but if they bring him back, I kinda want Charizard to be his own character and have some other Pokemon replace Charizard.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Yes, the Trainer mechanic with the switching out embodied what you do in Pokemon but if they bring him back, I kinda want Charizard to be his own character and have some other Pokemon replace Charizard.
Oh I think that would be inevitable since people are now used to Solo Charizard.

That's also why Solo Popo or Nana would be a bad idea. It would be a fully different character.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Hate to say it, since I treated all 3 of Pokemon Trainer's Pokemon equally, but I don't think we'll be seeing Ivysaur or Squirtle in Smash again for a LOOOOONG time. I think Greninja's reveal trailer pretty much put them in a grave. If we ever get a Pokemon Trainer again in Smash, he/she will have different starter Pokemon from another region.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Oh I think that would be inevitable since people are now used to Solo Charizard.

That's also why Solo Popo or Nana would be a bad idea. It would be a fully different character.
They should call Pokemon Trainer, Red but that's me. Yeah, I never liked the idea of Solo Popo/Nana. Even though they are solo in Ice Climber, its just weird.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I'm almost certain that the Wii U very well would've sold better had Sm4sh been a Wii U exclusive, but hindsight is 20/20 (even though I've been saying this all along Nintendo cough cough). I think it's the main reason the Wii U is "dying" so early; the main system seller could be found in other places.

Sweet. Thanks for your contribution! I was honestly surprised I didn't see you there earlier.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I'm almost certain that the Wii U very well would've sold better had Sm4sh been a Wii U exclusive, but hindsight is 20/20 (even though I've been saying this all along Nintendo cough cough). I think it's the main reason the Wii U is "dying" so early; the main system seller could be found in other places.

Sweet. Thanks for your contribution! I was honestly surprised I didn't see you there earlier.
I only stick to a few threads. My personal life is sometimes unstable and/or unorganized, don't really need that to happen on the internet.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725

Totally man, I thought the same thing. I'm just glad my parents bought it for my family. I didn't use my wii U for a whole year and just let it sit till SMASH came out. Now finally other games (Starfox, Yoshi. #FE) are coming out, but they are already done with the console!

They should call Pokemon Trainer, Red but that's me. Yeah, I never liked the idea of Solo Popo/Nana. Even though they are solo in Ice Climber, its just weird.
I agree with both of your points. Maybe a Female Alt though this time? Gold and Crystal would be cool.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Totally man, I thought the same thing. I'm just glad my parents bought it for my family. I didn't use my wii U for a whole year and just let it sit till SMASH came out. Now finally other games (Starfox, Yoshi. #FE) are coming out, but they are already done with the console!
That's a real shame. The Wii U has a ton of great games. Pikmin 3 is in my opinion one of the greatest games of all time. Add that to SM3DW, MK8, DKC:TF, Bayonetta 2, Injustice, Rayman Legends, Splatoon, Shovel Knight, etc... and you got yourself a great console. Never bored with it.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
That's a real shame. The Wii U has a ton of great games. Pikmin 3 is in my opinion one of the greatest games of all time. Add that to SM3DW, MK8, DKC:TF, Bayonetta 2, Injustice, Rayman Legends, Splatoon, Shovel Knight, etc... and you got yourself a great console. Never bored with it.
A few of those series and games you've mentioned (Splatoon and MK8 especially) I'm extremely uninterested in. I especially am against MK8 for dropping Diddy and Bowser Jr. Which is why I still play double Dash (I'm hosting a tournament of it Saturday)

I've also never been a fan of Rayman or 3D Mario games, and I want to play previous DK and Bayonetta games before I play the Wii U versions.

Overall I was much more impressed with the 3DS games I've played. Only really disappointed in Fire Emblem and Pokemon.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Lol, all I need is Smash and EarthBound. Though I probably should go get Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon when I can...

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
A few of those series and games you've mentioned (Splatoon and MK8 especially) I'm extremely uninterested in. I especially am against MK8 for dropping Diddy and Bowser Jr. Which is why I still play double Dash (I'm hosting a tournament of it Saturday)

I've also never been a fan of Rayman or 3D Mario games, and I want to play previous DK and Bayonetta games before I play the Wii U versions.

Overall I was much more impressed with the 3DS games I've played. Only really disappointed in Fire Emblem and Pokemon.
Fair enough. I'm actually dissapointed in MK8 for more reasons then just dropping a few characters myself. It's actually funny you mention DD, that's my favorite one!

Splatoon's a lot of fun. Why aren't you interested in it? Whatever the reason may be I recommend it.

Rayman Legends plays a lot more like old Sonic games than 3D Rayman games if that helps with that. It's my 3rd most played game on the Wii U right now, because of Daily challenges that keep things interesting.

Super Mario 3D World is also somewhat a hit and miss. I'd still recommend it, but not as strongly as games like Pikmin 3, Splatoon, or Rayman Legends. It just seems very small and closed off in comparison to other 3D Mario games of the recent past.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Lol, all I need is Smash and EarthBound. Though I probably should go get Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon when I can...
Whatever suits you. I honestly think that Sm4sh, Pikmin 3, and Splatoon are the must have games this gen. They're all just so good, especially if you have platformer fatigue.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Fair enough. I'm actually dissapointed in MK8 for more reasons then just dropping a few characters myself. It's actually funny you mention DD, that's my favorite one!

Splatoon's a lot of fun. Why aren't you interested in it? Whatever the reason may be I recommend it.

Rayman Legends plays a lot more like old Sonic games than 3D Rayman games if that helps with that. It's my 3rd most played game on the Wii U right now, because of Daily challenges that keep things interesting.

Super Mario 3D World is also somewhat a hit and miss. I'd still recommend it, but not as strongly as games like Pikmin 3, Splatoon, or Rayman Legends. It just seems very small and closed off in comparison to other 3D Mario games of the recent past.
Splatoon at E3 gave me the worst headache, at it showed me the game would get repetitive and boring. I almost changed my mind when they announced US Squid Girl DLC, but it didn't look as good as I hoped.

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
Working on two games allowed for a bigger development team, more resources, and more production time all around. If anything, the 3DS helped the games as a whole.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Working on two games allowed for a bigger development team, more resources, and more production time all around. If anything, the 3DS helped the games as a whole.
Mind sourcing that, because I've never heard that the 3DS version allowed for a bigger team.

Splatoon at E3 gave me the worst headache, at it showed me the game would get repetitive and boring. I almost changed my mind when they announced US Squid Girl DLC, but it didn't look as good as I hoped.
It does, but it's addicting enough to where that doesn't even matter in my opinion. It's that good. I can play turf wars for hours on end, just practicing different weapons, but if you're not interested you're not interested, I can sympathize.

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
(also, I wonder if, after all this time, my name is not on the 'IC supporter list' that I have heard of on smashboards, being whispered in the wind)
We really need an official support list. That would help us. Not sure if there is one floating around, but we can probably do something to make it more known.
I really don't want the Wii U to die so early.:( They can still do great things with it and I think it would be a bad idea to release the NX in 2016 or 2017. I don't want it to be similar to how Sega of America announced the death of the Saturn and mentioned development of the Dreamcast to immediately take its place. The Saturn is a great underrated system too, loaded with hidden gems and exclusive content for multiplatform games. I know we're getting Star Fox Zero, Xenoblade Chronicles X, and Yoshi's Wooly World (in America) about to be released, but I want Nintendo to assure me that they have as much faith in the Wii U as I do. There are plenty of games that I don't have yet but really want, but it's heartbreaking knowing that Pikmin 3 is allegedly out of print and is going for like $60-$70 on eBay some of them. And I thought Pikmin 2 was overpriced. And I just recently beat Pikmin 1... I also think Rayman Origins and Legends are great, still don't have Legends yet, but I'm not too crazy about the art style. Something about it seems so off-putting compared to Rayman 2 and 3. I'm hoping for them to eventually go and make a new 3D Rayman game. Those were the best.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
We really need an official support list. That would help us. Not sure if there is one floating around, but we can probably do something to make it more known.

I really don't want the Wii U to die so early.:( They can still do great things with it and I think it would be a bad idea to release the NX in 2016 or 2017. I don't want it to be similar to how Sega of America announced the death of the Saturn and mentioned development of the Dreamcast to immediately take its place. The Saturn is a great underrated system too, loaded with hidden gems and exclusive content for multiplatform games. I know we're getting Star Fox Zero, Xenoblade Chronicles X, and Yoshi's Wooly World (in America) about to be released, but I want Nintendo to assure me that they have as much faith in the Wii U as I do. There are plenty of games that I don't have yet but really want, but it's heartbreaking knowing that Pikmin 3 is allegedly out of print and is going for like $60-$70 on eBay some of them. And I thought Pikmin 2 was overpriced. And I just recently beat Pikmin 1... I also think Rayman Origins and Legends are great, still don't have Legends yet, but I'm not too crazy about the art style. Something about it seems so off-putting compared to Rayman 2 and 3. I'm hoping for them to eventually go and make a new 3D Rayman game. Those were the best.
I don't want the Wii U to die early either, but I feel like it's inevitable at this point, with Nintendo's marketing department being in shambles like it is. As discussed before, Sm4sh should've "saved" the Wii U, but they decided to release it on the 3DS, and that really hurt it. If they announced a concrete release date for LoZ or possibly a new Metroid or Animal Crossing (an actual main series game, not the spin-off crap they've been pushing out lately) that could also really help. I'm also of the opinion Star Fox: Zero can be huge if they just market it appropriately. It's one of the few Nintendo franchises that has any pop culture pull ("do a barrel roll"), and I think that if they make outsiders aware of it, it will sell.

It's just a shame how badly this gen has been mismanaged so far. Nintendo really could've destroyed this gen if they decided to take the criticisms and profits from last gen, and apply them to this one; but instead they decided to stay in a very unstable market, and it's hurt them. I'm hoping that the NX ends up being that rumored XDS though, and the Wii U really isn't dead. That'd be the best in my opinion, because I feel the Wii U has a lot of life left in it, while the 3DS probably needs to be replaced sometime soon.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
What if Super Mario Maker were to have INSANE sales?
It certainly has the potential to, but a lot of people have Mario fatigue, so I can see people passing up on it for no good reason. Couple that with Star Fox, possibly Xenoblade CX, and eventually Legend of Zelda, and there's still a lot of promise for the Wii U in the near future. Problem is Nintendo may have already abandoned ship.

Flor@

Smash Apprentice
As discussed before, Sm4sh should've "saved" the Wii U, but they decided to release it on the 3DS, and that really hurt it.
It's just a shame how badly this gen has been mismanaged so far. Nintendo really could've destroyed this gen if they decided to take the criticisms and profits from last gen, and apply them to this one; but instead they decided to stay in a very unstable market, and it's hurt them. I'm hoping that the NX ends up being that rumored XDS though, and the Wii U really isn't dead. That'd be the best in my opinion (...)
That's really maddening to think about. honesty, I feel like Nintendo actually might have gotten slightly ahead of themselves with the dual-console release of Smash. Just release one great stand-alone game, you know? Smash 4 on the Wii U feels so empty. They didn't HAVE enough content to split between the two consoles. But they did it anyways. And they had to cut the ICs because of it, and take away great maps from the wii version and put them onto the 3DS instead. Instead of offering more content, they rationed what they had. Kinda frustrating to think about it this way.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
That's really maddening to think about. honesty, I feel like Nintendo actually might have gotten slightly ahead of themselves with the dual-console release of Smash. Just release one great stand-alone game, you know? Smash 4 on the Wii U feels so empty. They didn't HAVE enough content to split between the two consoles. But they did it anyways. And they had to cut the ICs because of it, and take away great maps from the wii version and put them onto the 3DS instead. Instead of offering more content, they rationed what they had. Kinda frustrating to think about it this way.
Yeah, it's definitely wasted potential. It makes the Ultimate Super Smash Bros. 4 idea for NX sound good. I mean, just imagine the game with all stages, and modes (plus a couple extra characters) all there from the beginning! I'd still be mad because it shouldn't have come to that, but I'd still like to have everything all together like that.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
So back on topic, in the Sopo poll thread I got going on right now @Flaxr XIII came up with the idea of having the 3DS version have "Sprite Climbers". Whadya guys think?

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
So back on topic, in the Sopo poll thread I got going on right now @Flaxr XIII came up with the idea of having the 3DS version have "Sprite Climbers". Whadya guys think?
I'm not totally sure if making them sprites would cause it to be less taxing on the 3DS or not. Sakurai did resort to sprites for Flying Men when he originally intended to also have 3D models for them. With Ice Climbers, it's not like their models are overly complex compared to other characters. Even Mr. Game & Watch in actuality is a fully animated 3D model. With my limited knowledge on game development, it's hard to say for sure if an aesthetic change will be efficient enough to help reduce enough strain. Also, careful and try not to double post. You can edit older posts and put it there.

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman

I really don't want the Wii U to die so early.:( They can still do great things with it and I think it would be a bad idea to release the NX in 2016 or 2017.
I finally bought a Wii U last year and I will be rather upset if Nintendo gives up on it the year after I plan to actually buy stuff for it. I don't have money falling out of my pockets.

An official support list would be a good idea.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I finally bought a Wii U last year and I will be rather upset if Nintendo gives up on it the year after I plan to actually buy stuff for it. I don't have money falling out of my pockets.

An official support list would be a good idea.
Yeah it probably would.

As for the Wii U thing, yeah it would suck. Hopefully if the NX does come out early, Nintendo will have some kind of loyalty discount for Wii U owners or something. I think the last thing they want to do is piss off the only fans that have been supporting them throughout all of this.

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
So how do we start a support list? It stinks to start from scratch since we have a whole thread of support, but whatever. And add it to the OP.

Obviously I'm all for IC.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
So how do we start a support list? It stinks to start from scratch since we have a whole thread of support, but whatever. And add it to the OP.

Obviously I'm all for IC.
Well, the owner (@ Opossum Opossum ) would have to look through the entire thread to gather up all the supporters and then edit his post to put them in the OP. Or, someone else could do it and just update a support list when someone new comes along. It won't be on the OP but we'll still have one.

Top Bottom