• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Breaking the Ice - Ice Climbers DLC Discussion Thread - Under New Ownership!

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
I still have trouble fathoming that such a beloved veteran has brought up so much controversy. Waiting for SSB5 is just unpleasant to think about. We know how long it takes for each iteration to come out, and with good reasons. In 2021, I will be 25. Sakurai will be 51. I don't think leading the game the same way he's done in the past would be healthy for him at all. I wouldn't blame him if he stepped down as director even if he wanted to direct it. I think it would be weird during that time if I fanboyed over two cute ****** children as a full grown adult after begging someone more than twice my age from a different country for them. This is why I want to be more open to other alternatives to fill that void.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
In 2021, I'll be 21, and if that's the year another Smash comes out, it'll probably be my last of the series that I actually sit down and play for a few hours straight. Which is why the ICies will need to be in this one as DLC or the next one.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Wellcum.

At the moment there isn't much to discuss. It's all already been said. Except for the idea of solo ICs with diff movesets, until recently. Some are for this idea, some are not. Which is to be expected if you pay attention to the conversations throughout the pages. And yeah we can't really say if sakurai would lean one way or the other because all news on the ICs is gathering dust.

It seems like odds are that Sakurai has pretty much left them for a later time. But who knows, this winter we may get a very pleasant (and very unexpected) surprise. Also that one article translating a page from a book published a year ago sorta killed a lot of peoples' hopes of the ICs coming back. But I'm still definitely hoping for solo/unique ICs. But haha, that's just a dream at this point. It's fine if I have to wait 6 years or so for them to come back I suppose.

Yeah I'm definitely one that wants the dual Ice Climbers, and not the solo ones. I guess I could deal with them if it really is the only option, but (and this is just the conspiracy theorist in me talking) I feel that they were cut more due to time constraints (I think it was mentioned that their debugging process was interfering with other characters development cycles, could be wrong though) then actual hardware limitations. Seeing that he has all the time in the world now to figure it out, I'm going to continue holding out hope.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Hmm, quite a bit for me to catch up on. I suppose I'll start with the wait time for the next Smash.

In a way, I agree that waiting for next Smash is too long. We do know that it's possible for a character to skip a game (see Mewtwo and Roy), but I don't like to take the chances. With each iteration of Smash, we increase the odds that Sakurai might step down from the series (he's already done it with Kirby). With Sakurai gone and a new person in charge, they might add different characters, meaning the Ice Climbers might be glanced over again (and on a different note, what does that mean for my Jigglypuff?) :(

Also, the aging thing I saw. For me personally, Smash will always be a part of me. I remember skipping over the N64 version because I didn't think it would be my thing, and then I reluctantly gave it a shot with Melee still thinking I wouldn't enjoy it, boy how wrong I was. (Years later, I did try the N64 version, it's OK, but nothing compared to the advanced games). What I'm trying to say is, despite how old we get, Smash (along with other beloved series') will always have a place with us. :)

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Hmm, quite a bit for me to catch up on. I suppose I'll start with the wait time for the next Smash.

In a way, I agree that waiting for next Smash is too long. We do know that it's possible for a character to skip a game (see Mewtwo and Roy), but I don't like to take the chances. With each iteration of Smash, we increase the odds that Sakurai might step down from the series (he's already done it with Kirby). With Sakurai gone and a new person in charge, they might add different characters, meaning the Ice Climbers might be glanced over again

I don't see them getting passed up on next time around. They're still pretty far up there in popularity, and without hardware limitations, I don't see them passing up on an original, well-liked veteran again.

(and on a different note, what does that mean for my Jigglypuff?):(
Don't be silly. No one would dare cut a member of the original 12.;)

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Agreed. Jigglypuff isn't one of my favorites, but if it came down to me to decide whether or not she/he (probably a she though) got in, I wouldn't hesitate to say to keep her/him in the series.

Last edited:

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
Original 12s have to be a permanent lock. End of story. There is absolutely no reason to cut any of them. Their four time veteran status is yet another factor for their status.

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655

Here have a leak guys. It was originally fron 4chan /v/. Like most leaks.
Image from a camera, possibly a smartphone, awkward close-up angle on the 3DS, Nintendo/Smash Direct text displayed on a 3DS screen in hand, a screenshot that looks more like Toon Link paused rather than footage which the latter is always used when presenting stages, and photoshop.
10/10 bist lerk ev4r

On a side note, if Melee data were easier to port, then I could've definitely seen Great Bay be one of the stages on the 3DS version to coincide with the announcement of Majora's Mask 3D.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I'd love for Great Bay to come back, but that doesn't look real.
Edit: Well seeing that they don't seem to be updating Peach's Castle's look at all either, this may be real after all.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
@ TheBeardedPunisher TheBeardedPunisher , this may be the only time I (kinda) disagree with you. The K. Rool costume definitely means we will be getting news on him soon (most likely). But that costume, I think, does decrease his chances. I know he's very popular and all, and I'll say it doesn't deconfirm him yet. But take a look at the Inklings costume. There's a lot of people who don't think they'll be in anymore too, which may establish a rule. That being if you get a DLC costume, you're deconfirmed. Except for Link, who was already in the game before getting a costume. Now with the Meta Knight costume, that was a huge troll, but it was not a DLC costume and even if it would have been a DLC costume later on, MK was already in the game.

Long story short:
Does this deconfirm K. Rool? No.
Does this decrease his chances? Yes, I think so.

*Flame shields up, just in case*

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
In 2021, I'll be 21, and if that's the year another Smash comes out, it'll probably be my last of the series that I actually sit down and play for a few hours straight. Which is why the ICies will need to be in this one as DLC or the next one.
Let me tell ya somethin', junior. I was 21 when Brawl came out, I'm 27 now, and I'll likely be 33/34 when SSB5 comes out. The average gamer is now in their mid 30s so if you're concerned about being "too old for video games" at that point, I wouldn't worry about it. Gaming is no longer one of those things that society strongly pressures you to drop when you're in your 20's (at least in Western cultures, anyways). Will you have less time for games? More than likely. Will it be impossible? Far from it. I worked 60+ hours a week through grad school and still found the time to game so, if it's important to you, you'll keep playing.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
If this really is all King K. Rool is going to get, I have really little faith in the Smash Ballot process. There's no doubt in my mind he was somewhere in the top 3 in votes maybe even number 1, so if he really doesn't become playable it'll be clear that Sakurai's just picking and choosing whatever the hell he wants. Let's hope that this is that Meta Knight thing again.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
If this really is all King K. Rool is going to get, I have really little faith in the Smash Ballot process. There's no doubt in my mind he was somewhere in the top 3 in votes maybe even number 1, so if he really doesn't become playable it'll be clear that Sakurai's just picking and choosing whatever the hell he wants. Let's hope that this is that Meta Knight thing again.

Possibly.

So, along with the Great Bay leak, we also got a leak for a Dr. Mario stage. Anyone buying into that?

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Finally, my Iwata drawing (though super late) is complete:
image.jpg

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
@ TheBeardedPunisher TheBeardedPunisher , this may be the only time I (kinda) disagree with you. The K. Rool costume definitely means we will be getting news on him soon (most likely). But that costume, I think, does decrease his chances. I know he's very popular and all, and I'll say it doesn't deconfirm him yet. But take a look at the Inklings costume. There's a lot of people who don't think they'll be in anymore too, which may establish a rule. That being if you get a DLC costume, you're deconfirmed. Except for Link, who was already in the game before getting a costume. Now with the Meta Knight costume, that was a huge troll, but it was not a DLC costume and even if it would have been a DLC costume later on, MK was already in the game.

Long story short:
Does this deconfirm K. Rool? No.
Does this decrease his chances? Yes, I think so.

*Flame shields up, just in case*
Still, it's not even August. We're still waiting for the torney and stage additions as things to hold us over. Sakurai seems to be pursuing a very careful hype strategy during this DLC cycle to help keep our expectations under control. At least we don't have to worry about characters winding up as assist trophies. But when characters get minor acknowledgement as Mii costumes, it will have to be decided on if just having those costumes is good enough when comparing their competitors. If yes, then they don't advance beyond costumes/trophies. If not, and the characters can stand out better than not yet represented competition, then they will be able to prosper as full fledged characters. And I hope this is the last time Sakurai pours salt on Chrom's wounds.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Still, it's not even August. We're still waiting for the torney and stage additions as things to hold us over. Sakurai seems to be pursuing a very careful hype strategy during this DLC cycle to help keep our expectations under control. At least we don't have to worry about characters winding up as assist trophies. But when characters get minor acknowledgement as Mii costumes, it will have to be decided on if just having those costumes is good enough when comparing their competitors. If yes, then they don't advance beyond costumes/trophies. If not, and the characters can stand out better than not yet represented competition, then they will be able to prosper as full fledged characters. And I hope this is the last time Sakurai pours salt on Chrom's wounds.
Ya, this is probably the last thing happening for Chrom. As for worrying about characters becoming assist trophies, no, we don't have to worry about that, yet. I'm not saying it will happen, but it's definitely possible for them to add new assist trophies. And it's July 29th, so ya, we're pretty much in August.

But I am interested to see if they do anything else with K. Rool. I honestly wouldn't care much if he got in, but if he's not in, oh well. Maybe his fans will get what they want next time. I definitely know he's a major player in the Ballot though, I'll give him that.

...I do hope something for us ICies fans to get hyped about pops up soon. I love all this DLC, but there's still one major thing missing in it for me. I'm not as hyped anymore for it since there's not really much for us to talk about. :( Maybe something will come along for us soon...

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I cried when I heard the Nana and Popo chant glitch...
At least the way to hear it (killing a bunch of Dr. Marios while at high damage) is satisfying for me. That stupid flipping character...

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Yeah but didn't that turn out to be "Murabito" which is Villager's name in Japan?
I agree with Lulu. I can kinda hear "Mura" when they say "Nana", but there is no way I get "Bito" mixed up with "Popo". It's the ICies chant for sure.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
It does sound like Nana Popo, but seeing that Japanese players apparently hear Murabito I'll take there word for it. Maybe it was some troll from Sakurai, where it sounds like both or something.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Still preferring to see Dr. Mario getting the crap beaten out of him 3 times over, I see. Also, I'm curious. Do you only hate Dr. Mario as a fighter, or do you just not like him or his series overall?
Not RobnWatch, but I hate the idea of Dr.Mario as a fighter. In my opinion, he should be a costume. His series is fine though.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Still preferring to see Dr. Mario getting the crap beaten out of him 3 times over, I see. Also, I'm curious. Do you only hate Dr. Mario as a fighter, or do you just not like him or his series overall?
Hmm, as for me, I'm fine with him as a fighter because he brings back the Melee fight style of Mario. It really depends on what Mario mood I'm in. Do I want F.L.U.D.D., or do I want the Tornado? Of course, Luigi is always an option too.

As with Lucina and Dark Pit, I would have liked to have seen him as a costume, with the tornado being a custom move for Mario, but eh, what's done is done.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Hmm, as for me, I'm fine with him as a fighter because he brings back the Melee fight style of Mario. It really depends on what Mario mood I'm in. Do I want F.L.U.D.D., or do I want the Tornado? Of course, Luigi is always an option too.

As with Lucina and Dark Pit, I would have liked to have seen him as a costume, with the tornado being a custom move for Mario, but eh, what's done is done.
I could do without FLUDD personally. I think it's better suited as an item. They should just give Mario the Tornado back.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Only as a fighter. Flipping Mario in a doctor's outfit. That just SCREAMS alt. costume. I mean, I could care less about his series too, since I never played Dr. Mario. But the two (or more, I forgot) pieces of music from his series are really good, so not really a reason to hate the series. The character though, basically Mario with pills and a Tornado move instead of F.L.U.D.D.. Blech.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I love FLUDD honestly. Then again, might be my bias since I love Super Mario Sunshine.
I love Sunshine too, but the FLUDD attack doesn't really do much for me. I just think the attack doesn't do the weapon justice and it would be better utilized as an item, or for a dedicated moveset for a different character, but I'm getting ahead of myself.

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
Not sure why people keep screaming for IC return since Nintendo mentioned they were cut purely because of the 3DS problem. Unless they somehow managed to fix it, they'd never be released because they dont want WiiU specific characters, only stages.
And the "New 3DS" cant possibly be the answer, since that would make a patch force people to buy one and tick a LOT of people off.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Not sure why people keep screaming for IC return since Nintendo mentioned they were cut purely because of the 3DS problem. Unless they somehow managed to fix it, they'd never be released because they dont want WiiU specific characters, only stages.
And the "New 3DS" cant possibly be the answer, since that would make a patch force people to buy one and tick a LOT of people off.
Because we want them back...

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
It's not hard to avoid a fan thread you know.

Top Bottom