• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl's been out for over a year now...

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
so is it still your favorite game? I can honestly say that Brawl is still my favorite video game, and I still appreciate how incedibly deep it was, how long the wait was, and how much there is to do. My friends and I still play it virtually every day. So for you guys, has the allure lasted?

Hydra.

Smash Lord
NNID
Aqua.Sword
Brawl is deffinitly still my favorite game. DDR is my second. But anyways, I played brawl religiously, then my wii broke, and it broke again, and again. But I've played it as much as possible, it took me a year to even start comprihending alot of the deep things of the game I still love it as much as when it came out. But seeing the lack of balance in the characters has had me lose respect for the community. The community isn't very nice at times either. The wait for the game was incredible, they would delay it, then delay it again, and again, and it never came out by christmas time like it was suppose to, I would of waited longer for it though if they would of made it a bit better/ more fair. But over all it's still satisfied my little heart.

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
Naturally, I get bored of something, leave it, and then come back to it, but that aside, I'm still in love with Brawl to this day. It's a fun game.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
To be completely honest, it has faded a bit. I believe it's mainly because I can't get to tournaments lately, and I only have one legit player to play with locally, so that's getting a bit bland. I have been going back to Melee a little more. When it used to be 90:10 Brawl:Melee, it's now 50:50.

Crazy_mofo213

Smash Lord
Brawl is deffinitly still my favorite game. DDR is my second. But anyways, I played brawl religiously, then my wii broke, and it broke again, and again. But I've played it as much as possible, it took me a year to even start comprihending alot of the deep things of the game I still love it as much as when it came out. But seeing the lack of balance in the characters has had me lose respect for the community. The community isn't very nice at times either. The wait for the game was incredible, they would delay it, then delay it again, and again, and it never came out by christmas time like it was suppose to, I would of waited longer for it though if they would of made it a bit better/ more fair. But over all it's still satisfied my little heart.
Well it's pretty difficult to make a balanced fighting game. Exploits will eventually be found and with that the balance is easily broken. I agree that the exploits are unfair for some characters, but every competative fighter has exploits or "Advanced Techniques" which are used in competative matches. I'll admit I'm guilty of using such exploits, but they make the game much deeper than it really is.

Ult

Smash Cadet
I didn't play it that much when I first got it, but now I play it everyday and it's probably one of my favorite Wii games of all time.

Yes, Brawl has still kept the golden aura about it ever since I bought it, half a year ago...
It shall last with me for a very long time. I enjoy playing it every day without any friends on my list at all. I just mess around with CPUs, try out With Anyone on WiFi, view the trophies, create stages, et cetera to almost infinity.
Maybe it will all the better with friends, but who am I to know? Is it?

codfish92

Smash Ace
Denver Colorado: wishing it was never summer.
defiantly like it and is one of my all time favorite games. and with the workshop forum, brawl can be made into 6 other brawls. people say it can get reptative, but when the game always changes i say it isn't(if you haven't thought about doing some of the workshop things, you should at least give it a look.). plus, brawl has my fantasy pokemon in it. have always wanted a playable charizard that can make dk hide in his darn jungle

Hydra.

Smash Lord
NNID
Aqua.Sword
Well it's pretty difficult to make a balanced fighting game. Exploits will eventually be found and with that the balance is easily broken. I agree that the exploits are unfair for some characters, but every competative fighter has exploits or "Advanced Techniques" which are used in competative matches. I'll admit I'm guilty of using such exploits, but they make the game much deeper than it really is.
There's a diffrence between "Advanced Techniques" and "Cheap Techniques"...
You have to admit the game is broken ALOT. They could of done some improvments.

Ult

Smash Cadet
Yes, Brawl has still kept the golden aura about it ever since I bought it, half a year ago...
It shall last with me for a very long time. I enjoy playing it every day without any friends on my list at all. I just mess around with CPUs, try out With Anyone on WiFi, view the trophies, create stages, et cetera to almost infinity.
Maybe it will all the better with friends, but who am I to know? Is it?
It's Waaaaaaaayyy better with friends.

Crazy_mofo213

Smash Lord
There's a diffrence between "Advanced Techniques" and "Cheap Techniques"...
You have to admit the game is broken ALOT. They could of done some improvments.
I'm not denying that the game is unbalanced. Also, thinking of AT's as cheap is usually scrub mentality. I used to think chaingrabs were cheap, but I later learned that in order to avoid them I just had to change my play style. They may seem unfair and annoying, but that's what competative play is all about, winning.

EDIT: Melee is more balanced. Gotta start paying more attention to what I say =P

JUDGE

Smash Lord
brawl,melee and tales of symphonia will always be my favorite game
i play brawl every weekend

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
I'm not denying that the game is unbalanced, but at least its more balanced than Melee. Also, thinking of AT's as cheap is usually scrub mentality. I used to think chaingrabs were cheap, but I later learned that in order to avoid them I just had to change my play style. They may seem unfair and annoying, but that's what competative play is all about, winning.
Um, I'm sorry to say but can you stop spreding lies? Melee is wayyy more balanced than brawl. Have you seen the genesis results? There was 1 fox and he was tied for 13th with a shiek, a peach, and a jiggs. There were 3 falcos, 4 jigglypuffs, 1 shiek, 2 peaches (1 got second), 3 Falcons, and 1 Marth. If melee is so unbalanced why is there only 1 of each of the top 3 chars? There was a link player in the top 25 who is a low tier. Roy (sethlon), Mewtwo (iori), and pikachu (Axe and chad) placed pretty high too.

Now in brawl. In the top 15 there was 5 MKs, 2 Marths, 2 Falcos, 2 Snakes, 1 Wario, 1 G&W, and 1 IC. 3 of the 5 MKs made top 4. This game isn't even as close to being as balanced as melee. MK has no bad match ups AT ALL. And last time I checked all of them are top tier but Marth (who is right next to top tier), G&W, and IC.

I thought people would know this by now...

Crazy_mofo213

Smash Lord
People must type this unconsciously.
Well it was 5 am when I typed it.

Um, I'm sorry to say but can you stop spreding lies? Melee is wayyy more balanced than brawl. Have you seen the genesis results? There was 1 fox and he was tied for 13th with a shiek, a peach, and a jiggs. There were 3 falcos, 4 jigglypuffs, 1 shiek, 2 peaches (1 got second), 3 Falcons, and 1 Marth. If melee is so unbalanced why is there only 1 of each of the top 3 chars? There was a link player in the top 25 who is a low tier. Roy (sethlon), Mewtwo (iori), and pikachu (Axe and chad) placed pretty high too.

Now in brawl. In the top 15 there was 5 MKs, 2 Marths, 2 Falcos, 2 Snakes, 1 Wario, 1 G&W, and 1 IC. 3 of the 5 MKs made top 4. This game isn't even as close to being as balanced as melee. MK has no bad match ups AT ALL. And last time I checked all of them are top tier but Marth (who is right next to top tier), G&W, and IC.

I thought people would know this by now...
Got me there. And on a side note I'm well aware of the genesis results for Melee (Mango's puff is the **** BTW) but, I was not aware of Brawl's results, because I honestly didn't care. I guess it was my fault for assuming Brawl was more balanced due to more High and Top tiers but, I completely forgot that half the world uses MK who flips the bird to balance.

zeldspazz

Smash Master
No johns =P

Melee is way more balanced than brawl. Im not gonna go into detail, because Im sure many other people will. Regarding your question, its only my favorite when I have ppl to play it with, which isnt always the case.

M-WUZ-H3R3

Smash Lord
Still the best. The melee community is likely to last until a better version of smash comes out with a skill to match. However the brawl community will end once a new smash game comes out egardless of it's content.

Crazy_mofo213

Smash Lord
Still the best. The melee community is likely to last until a better version of smash comes out with a skill to match. However the brawl community will end once a new smash game comes out egardless of it's content.
Yeah I don't see Brawl lasting long like Melee has. Brawl IMO doesn't have the same hype like Melee.

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
The worst characters are worse in Brawl, but Melee there are more characters that are bad.

Crazy_mofo213

Smash Lord
Yeah. Melee has like 13 almost-impossible matchups, Brawl has like..2. Yeah, it's true.
Well considering Link, a low tier character, placed in the top 25 at Genesis (Melee) I don't see how Brawl is more balanced. The lowest tier chacter in Brawl to place in top 25 was Toon Link who is in the B tier.

Also, what impossible matchups are you reffering to in Brawl. I am only aware of one and that is IC's against Ganondorf.

M-WUZ-H3R3

Smash Lord
Yeah. Melee has like 13 almost-impossible matchups, Brawl has like..2. Yeah, it's true.
Not only that, but half the characters are almost never used:

Yoshi, Kirby, Mewtwo, Pichu, Ness, Zelda...

...and all the high tier characters are overused:

Fox, Falco, Marth, Samus, Falcon...

The worst characters are worse in Brawl, but Melee there are more characters that are bad.
Not true. The bad characters in melee are climbing up in brawl: Kirby, Yoshi... Some of the good characters have been nerfed: Samus, Falcon...

_umbra_

Smash Champion
Not only that, but half the characters are almost never used:

Yoshi, Kirby, Mewtwo, Pichu, Ness, Zelda...

...and all the high tier characters are overused:

Fox, Falco, Marth, Samus, Falcon...
lol @ samus being overused

tbh, the bad characters in brawl are even more useless than the bad ones in melee.

Overclassed

Smash Journeyman
Yeah.

Because we should totally base balance on tournament results at Genesis.

GunmasterLombardi

Smash Champion
I guess alot of ppl play Melee strictly for money IF mid and low tiers are used less.

Melee has more metagame balance, Brawl has more character use balance. I still love Brawl, but there are a few PS3 games I like more.

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
Brawl is definitely my favorite, but I still dream about the next one having an actually epic 1P Mode.

Top Bottom