• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BrawlBox Creation & Showcase Workshop: Post your BrawlBox stuff here!

StarWaffle

Smash Lord
Wario Nintendog = Wario's bike now? WTF... That's so tight...and so wrong... at the same time...

What happens if you break the bi- I mean dog?

Does this mean we could put his Jalopy in brawl?!

omg... <3
Well i was actualy going to vertex the dog so that it was just his head as one of the wheels, and the body as the other o.0

GameWatching

Smash Ace
wario's car would be EPIC !

and i hided his hands and tail cause they are

and it's a test version, just a quick edit D:

Christian_CAO

Smash Apprentice
^ GameWatching's PICHU

I... I Love this... It looks fantastic so far (I would actually like it just like this; no arms and all; PM download plz... just kidding, I know you wouldn't just PM a download of an unfinished project :embarrass)

Seriously, GameWatching, this is epically cute :chuckle:

-BigSharkZ-

Smash Lord
I hate how everyone keeps saying "This is version 1, so it's not very good", "I made it fast, so I don't like it much", and crap like that. Just take your time and stop complaining that it's not good and release it as fast as possible. Another thing I hate is when people release PSAs that don't even work, such as these millions of imported models that have all the exact same glitches, with like, two animations done. That's cool, very cool. Also, frankly, that Pichu doesn't look very good, but since it's a "quick" version, I won't judge any more than this. Lastly, expect me to get back to making stages once again. I have a few ideas in mind, and I also have to finish my old stages.

L-a-t-e-r-a-l-u-s

Smash Ace
I hate how everyone keeps saying "This is version 1, so it's not very good", "I made it fast, so I don't like it much", and crap like that. Just take your time and stop complaining that it's not good and release it as fast as possible. Another thing I hate is when people release PSAs that don't even work, such as these millions of imported models that have all the exact same glitches, with like, two animations done. That's cool, very cool. Also, frankly, that Pichu doesn't look very good, but since it's a "quick" version, I won't judge any more than this. Lastly, expect me to get back to making stages once again. I have a few ideas in mind, and I also have to finish my old stages.
You said exactly what I was going to say.

Well, the link to the brawl model extractor is down, so it looks like I'm going to be vertexing the old fashioned way ;)

Alright, now I'm a little peeved. This new vertexbox is really awkward. The old one was simple and made sense to me. Sigh.

spiderjjr45

Smash Apprentice

I think everyone is fine with posting "Version 1"s and "I made it fast"s. I mean, this isn't the "Everyone post the next greatest and latest thing in Brawl Hacking Thread". It's the "BrawlBox Showcase".
If I recall, you showed off a textured cube a while ago when showing off your GameCube stage, it wasn't that impressive, and sure, the Pichu posted last page could use some work too. But that's what this thread is FOR. It should be USED for posting WIPs, posting ideas, posting Version 1s, it's for posting fun things to showcase, it should never be limited to just the perfect things that take weeks to do and hours of hard work to make. If someone wants to make a thread to showcase huge, expansive, impressive projects, that's fine, but I don't think people should jump on the guys who don't work that way.

-BigSharkZ-

Smash Lord
I think everyone is fine with posting "Version 1"s and "I made it fast"s. I mean, this isn't the "Everyone post the next greatest and latest thing in Brawl Hacking Thread". It's the "BrawlBox Showcase".
If I recall, you showed off a textured cube a while ago when showing off your GameCube stage, it wasn't that impressive, and sure, the Pichu posted last page could use some work too. But that's what this thread is FOR. It should be USED for posting WIPs, posting ideas, posting Version 1s, it's for posting fun things to showcase, it should never be limited to just the perfect things that take weeks to do and hours of hard work to make. If someone wants to make a thread to showcase huge, expansive, impressive projects, that's fine, but I don't think people should jump on the guys who don't work that way.
No, that's not what I exactly meant. I meant, releasing things while complaining that it's bad. I have no problems on showing progress on things, as I myself do that.

n64billy

Smash Ace
No, that's not what I exactly meant. I meant, releasing things while complaining that it's bad. I have no problems on showing progress on things, as I myself do that.
Ditto...
When I made the first version of my Kirby-knight, and was proud of myself and all that, couldn't wait to show everyone what I had done, but you have to keep limits....
If I didn't get others to say what they thought of it (Mainly BSZ :p), I might not have done as good of a job on the StarRod of my hack, as well as missing out on details I first thought didn't matter...

Pride can easily get in the way of other things.... and often times with lots of people the feeling of "Wow! Look what I've done!" can get in the way of "How good is what I've done?"

With Brawl hacking getting more advanced and users content is getting better with Practice, expectations are gradually being risen, which is a great motivator, but not too great news for those either just starting out with something, or not an 'expert' in the feild....

People have their good days and bad days I'm sure, and everyone always has an opinion on someone elses work.... but the point here being,

Make sure your work is well done BEFORE giving a release.... There are only very small exceptions... So practice practice practice, find feedback, and keep working towards making your hacks better..

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
With Brawl hacking getting more advanced and users content is getting better with Practice, expectations are gradually being risen,
I disagree... It seems that as our hacks get more advanced, people are willing to settle for lower quality products. For example, recently, there was a flood of new character model hacks after the "new vertex method" of hacking was released. A lot of these were either rushed and unfinished, or not that good because the creators were new to 3D modeling, but the community generally accepted them because they were a new novelty. They were the kind of quality that would not have been as well recieved if they were released during the era of the old method, when people's expectations were higher (they believed that since vertex hacking was so complex, anyone who made a hack was very skilled and put out high quality products). Every time a new breakthrough occurs, people expect to be able to use the newest resulting hacks regardless of quality, and there are fewer people who actually make things that look good.

Another major problem is the trend of people releasing unfinished products. I always see things like "this is version 1, I know it has a bunch of glitches and some parts still look bad but I'll fix them another time". This causes one of two things to happen: either they release several updated versions, leading to multiple different copies floating around in the community, or they never fix it at all, which goes back to what I said before about the overall quality of hacks going down.

Was anyone else around in 2008 when the texture hacking scene began? Do you remember how the overall quality of texture hacks plummetted as soon as ASH came out and you no longer has to be technically skilled in order to make them? The same thing is happening with model hacks right now.

Post-script: Wow, sorry for making that so long. I started by simply responding to your quote, but it naturally lead into this discussion about a major problem in the community that needs to be addressed.

n64billy

Smash Ace
I disagree...
Ah yes, that's the point I kinda was heading towards...
(And by the way, I was here back in 2008! My first texture hack was "Deku Link" though (Which wasn't until the ASH days) :))

I am expecting 'lower' (As in, not as mind boggling) vertex hacked models... because not only do you have other polygons to deal with, you also have weighted vertecies, as well as texture UV's to consider.... but with texture hacks, MS paint doesn't really cut it anymore......
PSA takes a lot of effort.... and animations take WAY more..!

I think we can all agree though, that people shouldn't just rush out half-done content, with an expectation to be loved for it.... sure, they may have spent hours learning how to do the technique, but so has (almost) everyone else here at some point...

You will be disapointed at one point in communities like this.... but those who stick at it will be the ones well rewarded....

what's the problem with my stages
?
I like your stages! :3

kangaroogreen

Smash Ace
(And by the way, I was here back in 2008! My first texture hack was "Deku Link" though (Which wasn't until the ASH days) :))
Ah, those were the days.
When you had to wait 5 seconds after picking your characters and everyone was fine with it. :)

I think my first texture was a Kirby with lightning bolt cheeks.

GeminiCrossFade

Smash Ace
Niiiiiiiiice :laugh:

I wish we could go back to that simplicity, where anything new was awesome...
Simplistic things still can be awesome.... you just need to capture it the right way...
I remember the good days where wisp just came out ^^. Such good days

Oshtoby

Smash Apprentice
Burholme, Philadelphia, PA, USA, North America, Ea
what's the problem with my stages
?
With a little help from other people, your stages are awesome. I don't see what other people are complaining about. The only problems I can see with your stages would be the texturing issues, like in Yoshi's Island 64, where the textures for all the 2D bits came up all scrambled. As well as the resizing issue. Other than that, the FORMING of the stages is awesome. As far as the forming goes, you have a lot of attention to detail. Good work!

kangaroogreen

Smash Ace
Niiiiiiiiice :laugh:

I wish we could go back to that simplicity, where anything new was awesome...
Simplistic things still can be awesome.... you just need to capture it the right way...
Exactly. I remember when ghosteo.net was around. :laugh:

With a little help from other people, your stages are awesome. I don't see what other people are complaining about. The only problems I can see with your stages would be the texturing issues, like in Yoshi's Island 64, where the textures for all the 2D bits came up all scrambled. As well as the resizing issue. Other than that, the FORMING of the stages is awesome. As far as the forming goes, you have a lot of attention to detail. Good work!
I think I spotted a hidden insult in there, but I'm not sure.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master

I think we can all agree though, that people shouldn't just rush out half-done content, with an expectation to be loved for it.... sure, they may have spent hours learning how to do the technique, but so has (almost) everyone else here at some point...
Yeah, I think you actually said the same thing as me, but that one sentence of yours that I quoted was worded in the opposite way as it should have been.

By the way, I still have a copy of Syntax Error's original texture hacking guide on my computer :p

-BigSharkZ-

Smash Lord
First, I drew this in 5 minutes.

And then, this came to life.

I have yet to add a metallic effect to it, then I will make a stage to go with it. :p

zeno503

Smash Rookie

PSA takes a lot of effort.... and animations take WAY more..!

You will be disapointed at one point in communities like this.... but those who stick at it will be the ones well rewarded....
I uh apologize for my long comment here but I just wanted to say this and if you're not really into the conversation then by all means AVOID reading this cause it'll be wasting your time.
Anyways..

This is true but even if someone releases something like a model swap and they say it's full of glitches well to me that's to be expected. To me I see it as this, I can download the hack and see what this person has in mind or if this would be something I would like to have completed. I mean it's not hard for me to just insert my sd card and erase it if it sucks so I don't really see a problem on version1 of certain hacks. Maybe the amount of downloads they get for that certain hack could inspire them to go on and make it better for themselves and for the other who would enjoy it. Now I really hate pointing fingers (in this case at Gamewatching, respectfully, not BSZ) but the only thing that started this conversation was BSZ's reaction to how Gamewatching is always complaining about his hacks when they're actually really good and you can see a lot of people get eager when he was in the progress of making them like Melee Falco. This is mainly the only thing that bothers me and what I'm trying to say is that there's humility and then there's (for my lack of a better term) pathetic. If the hacks are so bad then keep them to yourself and go hide in a cave and count roaches, or embrace your skills a little more, and by little a mean A LOT more, and stay optimistic about what you do and keep improving and honing on these skills. It's like having an artist who hates his work but has to show it to everyone first, it's really an unorthodox way of going about things and he shouldn't be acting that way. If he can't help it then he should at least acknowledge that comments like that are unwelcome anyways and maybe it would be best to just keep it to himself. I personally love your character and stage hacks and I apologize for my bluntness but I can't apologize about how I feel.

-BigSharkZ-

Smash Lord
Zeno, I wasn't talking to GameWatching in particular. What I was saying is that I hate when someone releases a hack that does not look very good, with potential or not, and then complains that it's the first version, or that it was made too fast.

Oshtoby

Smash Apprentice
Burholme, Philadelphia, PA, USA, North America, Ea
I think I spotted a hidden insult in there, but I'm not sure.
...Where? I didn't mean it that way, if it came across like that.

-BigSharkZ-

Smash Lord
I don't see any insults there. Criticism only. Also, before starting working on Magicant, I'll finish Starship Mario and Castle Keep, as they're almost done anyway.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
GameWatching is the opposite of the type of people that I was talking about in my post. He mades good hacks but thinks they're bad. Other people make bad hacks but think they're good.

-BigSharkZ-

Smash Lord
@JediKnightTemplar

Yeah, I completely forgot about that, but I feel like finishing up stuff I have been working on in the past. Also, if anyone has a Geodude model, please give it to me, as I'm going to make the best thing ever.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
I should have a Geodude model still. I extracted it when someone was trying to remake Poke Floats (it never ended up happening, because there were too many missing Pokemon).

Edit: It should be in this rar that I uploaded last time. http://www.mediafire.com/?z2i3wq4qzmm
Just ignore the other two Pokemon if you don't need them. I already fixed them to work in Brawlbox.

Top Bottom