• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

& Brawl+: The Montréal Weekly Poutine Thread...With More Sauce!

ThatGuy

Smash Master
Sounds like a good idea to me, thanks for carrying on the discussion (Elef, of all people? Bahaha). I've had (and still have) a lot of personal matters to attend to, and most of my replies have been quick one-liners from school :/.

Kirt, sorry if that's how I was coming off, it just appeared to me that you were attacking Werewolf's opinions when it would be more productive to contribute our own thoughts and nothing more. That way we would at least have more ideas and criticisms thrown out there for everyone to look at, rather than some people's arguments being shot down before they make it out. Granted Were-wolf could work on his presentation skills. And I also agree with practically everything you said Kirt (except for the point where I'm qualified to make decisions, :dizzy:). And yes, I do disagree with a lot of things you say, but I just have a different outlook on things, you're probably right most of the time.

Double Ike all the way. Unstoppable force.

A couple questions, what if you want to change partners, what will be the consequences? And what if your set partner was absent? Is there any way to make up points with someone else? Will the absent one and the present receive identical consequences?

Elefterios

Smash Journeyman
i guess you can take 50% of points from your old team + 50% from your partner's old team.

if my team had 100 points, and my new partner's team had 50. our new team would have 75 points.

since this not really a penalty.... i think we should also deduct just a few points, just so that people dont end up abusing the system. say....-4 points?

75-4= 71

no partner? find a new partner.

zaf

Smash Lord
i guess you can take 50% of points from your old team + 50% from your partner's old team.

if my team had 100 points, and my new partner's team had 50. our new team would have 75 points.

since this not really a penalty.... i think we should also deduct just a few points, just so that people dont end up abusing the system. say....-4 points?

75-4= 71

no partner? find a new partner.
sounds very fair to me.

Joel shall we start over, give everyone a fresh start at a new system?

Mystic Viper

Smash Ace
While i do think its an almost good system i think there are a few flaws to it. If we can patch these things up or at least explain to me what I'm not seeing, then I'll be all for it as well.

Firstly, i think, as were not that many to begin with, i think deducting points up to third to last is a bit much, unless business booms all of a sudden and many more people start showing up to the weeklies (hopefully not since there's no room anymore :p) (also with school starting, I'm pretty sure a lot less people are gonna come, but we'll have to wait and see on that one).

Secondly, remember any past tournament results for a second. Remember how there's only one first place, one second place and maybe one or two third places? How many "last" place do you think were gonna have. Were going to have to get everyone who finishes last to fight again just to determine who's the real looser.

I think the loosing aspect of that system needs to be refined. Other then that, all good.

Elefterios

Smash Journeyman
yeah ive actually been thinking of those 2 points.

first, as you could see from my original post. i started by saying that the bottom 4 places should lose points, but in my example i stopped at second to last realizing that we were talking about teams and that there probably wouldn't be more than 8 teams at a time. So yeah we could easily stop the deduction at the 2nd to last mark.

if we are going to stop there i think we should reorganize the point distribution. 2nd to last should lose 2 points. I think going from losing nothing to 3 seems a bit harsh. Finally i think last should lose 4 points to encourage participation from the players and to encourage team improvement =P.

as for the 2nd point, i think once we narrow the deductions to only the last 2 places. we could easily just pit the bottom teams together. but yeah, this may have some complications depending on how many teams end up with a tie. we'll just have to see on this one.

if we do end up with 8 teams...which mind you shouldnt be that hard since we are only doing this once every 2 weeks. the point system should look like this:

1rst- +12
2nd- +8
3rd- +4
4th- +2
5th- 0
6th- 0
7th- -2
8th- -4

looks good.

†¹Ãgøn¥¹†

Smash Ace
Why do we have to keep losing points? Can't we just not gain any?

The only way that points could be lost is if we do 2v2 matches but non-tournament. And that we do the ladder system that way instead.

What I mean is that if you guys want to base your ladder only on tournaments then just give points to the top 3 and leave the other alone.

But, if you guys want to base the ladder on 2v2 matches ''organised'' by the 2 teams playing then the losing teams lose points and winning one wins points. And we can have occasional tournaments that top 3 gains a certain amount of points, more like Supplementary points.

So the idea of the tournaments would basicly be to score more points in 1 event, instead of throughout all the night searching for teams to fight.

Elefterios

Smash Journeyman
Say a team ranks first in the leaderboards. They're far ahead of everyone else so they decide to take a break. If we don't deduct points for their absence, they don't end up suffering any consequences. In the meantime, another team can end up better than them. But there is just no way to find out since the number one team ceased from showing. When this happens our leaderboard just end up being meaningless numbers. Its really not about whos better than who, its about who has the most points. so to prevent that we have to deduct points for them not coming. Now the number 1 team has to fight to keep his spot. If he doesnt show up one weekly, he can be sure that his rank will go down. He will be pushed to go, which is what we want....to keep the ranking system as accurate as possible.

..But this is the tricky part, we could only remove points if the team that comes in last would have points removed as well. Like i said, if the last places do not lose points, then why do the teams not showing up have to as well? this will break the system. you need a deduction for last place.

And why is this bad? So people will have a negative number? So what? Doesnt that make the ranking system more accurate that way? Instead of seeing the first 4 places with points and all of the other teams with 0 points....Whats the point? If you're in last, get better...and try to go up the ladder.

ThatGuy

Smash Master
Roustane, I think the objective here is to get a system where people won't have to worry about numbers once it gets going. If that's not possible, then yes, **** it, but it's always worth giving a shot at least.

Fizzi

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
FIZZI#36
I'll be coming again. I also noticed that I currently have a tutorial ending at 6:30 every wednesday, this isn't a problem this week since there are no tutorials, but it could be in the future. I think I'm gonna try and find a different tutorial to go to though so I can still come to the weeklies on time :p.

I just have a question about the "set partners" thing. I was kinda looking forward to the partner switching idea, mainly because I'm new to the community and I would have liked to play with a lot of different people. Since most people are gonna have set partners now this will reduce the amount of people available to partner with. The worst case scenario I think is that I and other new players may get stuck with someone they may not want to partner with. This becomes an even greater problem if people get docked points for dropping from their current team as people will not be willing to switch teams very often (most likely).

That said, I will most likely still come every week. I realize that most of the players that go to the weeklies/the ones that make the decisions are players that have been there for a while and probably wont have any problems finding set partners. Seeing as how that's probably the majority, I don't mind what you guys do. I'm just mentioning my slight concern and hope you guys might take it in consideration. No big deal though, I go to play smash and have fun so I'll still be there :).

zaf

Smash Lord
While i do think its an almost good system i think there are a few flaws to it. If we can patch these things up or at least explain to me what I'm not seeing, then I'll be all for it as well.

Firstly, i think, as were not that many to begin with, i think deducting points up to third to last is a bit much, unless business booms all of a sudden and many more people start showing up to the weeklies (hopefully not since there's no room anymore :p) (also with school starting, I'm pretty sure a lot less people are gonna come, but we'll have to wait and see on that one).

Secondly, remember any past tournament results for a second. Remember how there's only one first place, one second place and maybe one or two third places? How many "last" place do you think were gonna have. Were going to have to get everyone who finishes last to fight again just to determine who's the real looser.

I think the loosing aspect of that system needs to be refined. Other then that, all good.
yeah ive actually been thinking of those 2 points.

first, as you could see from my original post. i started by saying that the bottom 4 places should lose points, but in my example i stopped at second to last realizing that we were talking about teams and that there probably wouldn't be more than 8 teams at a time. So yeah we could easily stop the deduction at the 2nd to last mark.

if we are going to stop there i think we should reorganize the point distribution. 2nd to last should lose 2 points. I think going from losing nothing to 3 seems a bit harsh. Finally i think last should lose 4 points to encourage participation from the players and to encourage team improvement =P.

as for the 2nd point, i think once we narrow the deductions to only the last 2 places. we could easily just pit the bottom teams together. but yeah, this may have some complications depending on how many teams end up with a tie. we'll just have to see on this one.

if we do end up with 8 teams...which mind you shouldnt be that hard since we are only doing this once every 2 weeks. the point system should look like this:

1rst- +12
2nd- +8
3rd- +4
4th- +2
5th- 0
6th- 0
7th- -2
8th- -4

looks good.
I'll be coming again. I also noticed that I currently have a tutorial ending at 6:30 every wednesday, this isn't a problem this week since there are no tutorials, but it could be in the future. I think I'm gonna try and find a different tutorial to go to though so I can still come to the weeklies on time :p.

I just have a question about the "set partners" thing. I was kinda looking forward to the partner switching idea, mainly because I'm new to the community and I would have liked to play with a lot of different people. Since most people are gonna have set partners now this will reduce the amount of people available to partner with. The worst case scenario I think is that I and other new players may get stuck with someone they may not want to partner with. This becomes an even greater problem if people get docked points for dropping from their current team as people will not be willing to switch teams very often (most likely).

That said, I will most likely still come every week. I realize that most of the players that go to the weeklies/the ones that make the decisions are players that have been there for a while and probably wont have any problems finding set partners. Seeing as how that's probably the majority, I don't mind what you guys do. I'm just mentioning my slight concern and hope you guys might take it in consideration. No big deal though, I go to play smash and have fun so I'll still be there :).
grab a different partner every time and dont get bottom 2 teams =P

again, I would like to know at what time ppl are going to start showing up?

...and ELO rankings ftw
Rick ill be there before 6.

The past 2 weeks there have been 10 teams exactly. Which is wonderful for our system. But when we use TIO, it ends up looking like this.

1st
2nd
3rd
4th
5th
5th
7th
7th
9th
9th

As you can see there are ties for 5th, 7th and 9th. but there are ten teams. First four getting points works out fine. But as for the bottom team deductions where do we decide to stop?

The 5th and 7th teams are in order, which means the team in 5th above the other team in 5th has more wins. Same as for the 7th. But the two 9th teams both have 2 losses.

I suggest anyone in 9th lose 4 points. and the Worst 7th place lose 2 points.

No one can have negative points, so this week or when we manage to establish this there will be teams still with 0 points.

And as for people who do not understand the deduction reasoning, ill repeat another time.

-Inactivity. In your absence other teams could have gotten a lot better, making your team undeserving of all your points.

-Unable to keep 4th or higher. You are not performing up to par. Therefor if you make it in last place your points are un deserving.

This is to promote more activity and more serious play from people.
AS for set teams, i say we do it. I've stated why it will work but random teaming can still be done obviously.

Mystic Viper

Smash Ace
We cant make only one 7th position loose points. I think it should be both or none at all. In this case, i think its better that it be none at all. But Zaf and Joel, I wanna talk to you guys in persona bout this tonight, maybe if Elef comes he can join in and we can maybe find the best way to do this.

Elefterios

Smash Journeyman
we can change it so that everyone tied with last gets to loses the points. no 2nd to last.

another thing....all of the point distribution is divisible by 2. theres no need for large numbers. so lets cut it down .

1rst- 6
2nd- 4
3rd- 2
4th- 1

last- -2

as for the people who want random team turnaments, you guys can still have it...just every other week. this would a nice way to find or change partners.

EDIT: i reread zaf's post. if there were 10 teams, we could end up with 2nd to last deductions. i agree with kirt, either aboth 7th place lteams lose points or they dont at all.

what im wondering is how will the rankings look if there were only 9 or8 teams? will we have another tie for both last and 2nd to last?

Steb

Smash Journeyman
Good games everyone. I'll try remember the epic crew battle results:

Here's a short summary:

Random character, final smash on, all stages crew battles are awesome.
Pit FS counter pick stage = Hanenbow
Link sucks.
Kevin took out 9 stocks.
Landmaster.
Kirt's team won.
I suck :(.

zaf

Smash Lord
SOLUTION!!!

Effect of next week. everyone come!!!

2 vs 2 Tourney

-They will take place every 2nd week. This leaves people with time for practise and school. It also makes this a bit less serious, although at the same time it will be.
- It doesn't matter who you are teamed with, you can have a set team every week, or switch every week.
- Point will work as follows.

1st place team - 9 points
2nd place team - 6 points
3rd place team - 3 points
4th place team - 1 point

-Points will be given to the people not to the team. So for example:

Elef and Joel team up. They get first.

Elef has 9 points
Joel has 9 points

- There will be zero point depletion. Whether you rank last place or you dont show you keep all of your points.
-The point rankings will be individual and not for the teams themselves. This allows people to team with whoever they want without fear of point loss.

-We will do this as a season, meaning a new leaderboard will start in January. In December before Christmas we will hold a singles tournament for the top 8 people with points. So in reality, your 2 vs 2 points work toward you making it into a singles tournament.

Agora

Smash Journeyman
It's a STOOOONE Falcon, you~ didn't break it! Awesome final smash dodge, lulz

Porky Town's Ultimate Chymera KO save with an accidental footstool was the highlight for me.
Let's not forget the epic "Wario Man de-transformation" suicide on the auto-raising DK level either. Any chance that replay save will be shared? XD

Also Jigglypuff ditto Doubles team is the strongest team ever.

Oh and I'm cool with the "final" rules. Seems sweet to me.

Elefterios

Smash Journeyman
lol i have an idea. lets not go to GW's anymore. instead, ill rent an apartment you guys can have the weeklies there and i use your money to pay my rent! i have 3 tvs btw.

seriously... guys....please agree to this :(

Fizzi

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
FIZZI#36
Personally I'm a fan of the system. This way, people won't feel tied down to one partner. No point losses is fine. I like how it's once every two weeks because mass friendlies/crew battles are a lot of fun too. And I like singles better anyway, so having points to myself is kinda nice, would be better if it were singles but I understand that the space we have does not permit that. (Though if one day it's fairly quiet I wouldnt mind doing a singles tournament that day and it would still work with the point system)

Elefterios

Smash Journeyman
seriously, it would benefit everyone (mostly me). you guys can come early, stay as late as you want, bring booze, play poker, fistfights, hookers, and smoke crack.

Alopex

Smash Ace
Getting a million Smash balls on New Pork with Dedede and having them all do absolutely nothing for the win! Also, Footstool save was simply amazing.

Top Bottom