• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

& Brawl+: The Montréal Weekly Poutine Thread...With More Sauce!

"C"let

Smash Journeyman
Kirts a monster rancher, end of story.

Coming this week via Zaf(**** <3) w/ Wii and my sexyness. MOAR VIDS TOMORROW (Due to me being in pain from roofing all weekend :( )
Jer I want you to upload a video of me sandbagging against chet so tell me when should i send you the video

WERE-Wolf

Smash Apprentice
Your an imbecile Wolf, your logic sounds like what a 12 year old would say;
First of all, no one even asked you your opinion on whether or not we should have a ranking system. No one asked you to join it either, so if you don't like it or can't give constructive criticism you can simply choose not to take part.
Sorry but if im going to pay for a system i (WE, and not 2 people) chose, im simply not going to go there anymore.

The first comment i gave was indeed constructive i just believe that you failed to understand the point.

We explained why the loosing point aspect was needed prior so if you can understand why we need it, then i think your own selfish need can be ignored as well.
Not every people can come everytime because of their school schedule or any other reasons, doesnt mean they should be punished.

Lastly, I think that Zaf and Joel, the two people organizing this, have more precedence in the matter then you. All in all, i think that theres either a better way to phrase what you just said or simply that your too outspoken for someone in your position.
There is no such thing as ''someone with a better position'' we are all coming every week to play together and even if joel and zaf are organizing it, they should at least ask everyone's opinion before making a statement.

Quite deeply, if your gonna rage like you just did im simply not going to come anymore. i Dont need people with a negative behavior when i pay for something when it should be fun.

WERE-Wolf

Smash Apprentice
Sorry but if im going to pay for a system i (WE, and not 2 people) chose, im simply not going to go there anymore.

The first comment i gave was indeed constructive i just believe that you failed to understand the point.

Not every people can come everytime because of their school schedule or any other reasons, doesnt mean they should be punished.

There is no such thing as ''someone with a better position'' we are all coming every week to play together and even if joel and zaf are organizing it, they should at least ask everyone's opinion before making a statement.

Quite deeply, if your gonna rage like you just did im simply not going to come anymore. i Dont need people with a negative behavior when i pay for something when it should be fun.
its not just my decision and there are flaws in keeping points.

very aggressive from kirt, but i hole agree.
wolf, you need to read previous posts to understand why it has to be done. Or just think about why it has to be done. there are reasons. You cant just jump in and make false accusations. I am no where near selfish since i am trying to organize this and since i bring my laptop every week. also who tells everyone they have matches and sets them up? Is it you?
I didnt ''jumped in'' or anything i just SUGGESTED that we should all vote instead of letting 2 or 3 people decide for the whole community. What you basicly did was : ''Hey, me and some other people decided that THIS will happen because of THAT... Oh btw you dont have a word to say about it because you dont have THIS position''

I am totally not blaming you zaf nor anyone in particular. Im just saying that before applying a theory you (you being you and several people) judge fair or necessary, maybe you (you again being you and several people) should consider other options.

Damax

Smash Lord
it sounds like a bad bowling league. specially that point system... wtv.

I think were-wolf as a big point: we pay, we're consumers. then consumers are kings in business so he has the right to say what he thinks.

anyway blawl sucks.

ThatGuy

Smash Master
Damax is right, so more feedback please. Thanks for the input Werewolf. Kirt please restrain yourself as I want to hear what others have to say. Thanks all :)

EDIT: Agony today is Tuesday.

zaf

Smash Lord

I didnt ''jumped in'' or anything i just SUGGESTED that we should all vote instead of letting 2 or 3 people decide for the whole community. What you basicly did was : ''Hey, me and some other people decided that THIS will happen because of THAT... Oh btw you dont have a word to say about it because you dont have THIS position''

I am totally not blaming you zaf nor anyone in particular. Im just saying that before applying a theory you (you being you and several people) judge fair or necessary, maybe you (you again being you and several people) should consider other options.

It is a "leaderboard" system. If people can not make it some weeks, or they place bad they still deserve to lose points like everyone else.

This keeps it fair. If people don't come for a few weeks, but they have the most points how is it fair that they can just cut a few weeks but be on top.

Or if you make the first 2 weeks in 1st place but from there you do really bad and stop making the top 4. You still have 24 points and could be in the top with points but is it fair you keep the spot due to bad play the rest of the weeks?

There has to be justification for missing weeks and not making the top 4.

A power ranking works the same. If you do bad at tourneys your rank goes down because you lose points while others keep gaining points. This is essentially working the same way.

think man

EDIT: and i am not deciding for the community, it just comes with leaderboards and ranking systems. Ever watch professional starcraft? works the same way.

Agora

Smash Journeyman
I still agree with Wolf's point here; losing points after 1-2 weeks of absence is too soon. I'd vote for every 3 or 4 weeks of absence.

Besides, if you miss for a few weeks, you're already losing potential points as the others catch up to you anyway.

Damax

Smash Lord
About the absence thingie: why loose points? you are loosing points you'd gain from the weeklie + get a penalty? sounds like a death penalty. if you are first, got an appointment miss the weeklie then you are most likely second or third.

there should be at least a one week where you don't loose point for not showing. even never removing point is fine because people will catch up to you and bring you down if you miss 2 week points.

Agora

Smash Journeyman
For the love of God, people, stop saying "loose"! It's LOSE. *cries*

Still, Damax has a point; you're going to be teamed with random people often, so chances are you'll have a hard time consistently winning all the time, hence not making such a bad thing to not lose points when you miss the weekly a few times; you're already being penalized by losing potential points.

Mystic Viper

Smash Ace

it sounds like a bad bowling league. specially that point system... wtv.

I think were-wolf as a big point: we pay, we're consumers. then consumers are kings in business so he has the right to say what he thinks.

anyway blawl sucks.
No one made you guys pay for participating in the leaderboard. Thus if someone wants to do it their way, you should simply choose to go along with it or not unless someone does ask you for feedback. Its like the rule system we use for competitive play in smash, its either you follow it like everyone else if you want to participate or if you dont like it, then go play with someone else.

That being said, I agree with what Agora is saying so Wolf, i think there are indeed better ways of saying what you want and then also actually explaining it, unlike what you did in your first post.

As for you Joel, if i see fit to express myself, I'll do it, I don't need you mothering me, especially since you hadn't said it prior that you wanted feedback and that you seem to go against everything I say or do anyway. Thanks.

Oh and one last thing Wolf, as a matter of formality, there is such a thing as "positions" even if it is an abstract concept. Do you think the random guy who just walked by the other day saying that Kirby was the best was even listened too, especially without us knowing him and without backing up his claim? No. What i'm saying is that a newcomer can't just come to his first weekly and say that he wants the weeklies to be on Friday's instead and expects people to take him seriously. Now, put that example into context with any modifications you deem fit to it. And before you go ahead an reply to that comment, yes I'm aware that if the majority wants a change then it has more chances of happening. So instead of demanding, a better option for you would be to ask other people's opinion and to get them on your side, instead of assuming that people are making decisions without consulting you or to spite you.

WERE-Wolf

Smash Apprentice
I still agree with Wolf's point here; losing points after 1-2 weeks of absence is too soon. I'd vote for every 3 or 4 weeks of absence.

Besides, if you miss for a few weeks, you're already losing potential points as the others catch up to you anyway.

About the absence thingie: why loose points? you are loosing points you'd gain from the weeklie + get a penalty? sounds like a death penalty. if you are first, got an appointment miss the weeklie then you are most likely second or third.

there should be at least a one week where you don't loose point for not showing. even never removing point is fine because people will catch up to you and bring you down if you miss 2 week points.

See? heres a solution.. maybe delaying the point lost by 1 or maximum 2 weeks if you ABSOLUTLY want to cut points for absences....

I wont reply to your comment mystic. i dont have the time / motivation to do so. Lets just say you won.

Mystic Viper

Smash Ace
Wow, your so smart Wolf. So smart that you couldn't read a paragraph to understand one reference. Or even better yet, so smart that you don't realize that none of this had to do with smash but rather communication skills.

The ball is in your court handsome, or do you not have the energy again to reply (but wait, didn't you just reply anyway after saying you weren't?)

zaf

Smash Lord
Well i spoke to kirt briefly about it at my place yesterday. To counter the point depletion problem i found at higher points. That we do in fact deplete points monthly. It is closer to how starcraft PR's work when i was watching on the mbc station ( i think it was mbc, jarc correct me).

IT also solves wolfs problem and the inactive damaxs complaints.

So i suggest that the point depletion take effect after ever month.

but to state my reasons once again for point depletion.

- Why do you deserve high points for inactivity, someone better could have come by or everyone else could have passed you in your absence. So when you return you are no longer at the top. So there for it is fair to lower points.

-You come every week, and you make top 4 a lot, but in the last month you dont make it at all. Therefore people have passed you.

wolf please stop johning, it seems you want to hold onto points in later weeks but dont show the effort to keep a consistent 4th or better placing. as it stands you have no points anyways

filauc

Smash Journeyman
So ya Zaf what are gonna be the prizes if they don't even want to by cables for your TV LOL.

zaf

Smash Lord
no idea what kind of prizes gw will have. joel has more info than anyone.

also another idea given to me by someone who will go nameless.

leaderboard 2v2 tourney is once a month.
teams are set
this gives people time to practise and improve

Agora

Smash Journeyman
I am be thar tomorrow!

Tried new mains in the last couple days, but there's just no quitting Luigi... ;-;

BentoBox

Smash Master
On a tangent, I'm wondering how many people are taking the leaderboards that seriously? Because to me, random pairing seems to eliminate any chance of keeping a steady edge on everybody else, and the fact that you cannot really work on your teamplay, at least, no more than twice a month, kind of does ruins the point in being competitive~ Imo. :<

Though currently impossible due to time constraints, I would really like for us to have singles LBs as well :D.

edit: ^ I thought you mained ROB :p
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=189754&page=4

Elefterios

Smash Journeyman
updated:

leaderboard 2v2 once a month
teams set

deductions are a set number, and will only occur if you rank in the bottom 4 of the tournament or if you simply dont show up.

Why change it? removing a fraction of your points is just broken. if i have 100 points and use the 1/8th rule, the only place i can go from there is down. youd have to fight for first place just to keep your points...nice. another thing. why should the top player lose more points than a scrubby player? i have 100 points, now im at 90. someone has 10...now hes at 9. you've worked for the points , why should you lose them so fast?

assuming we can all agree that the fraction system is pretty broken. the method i thought of is simple and effective. you lose a set number of points if you rank low. how low? im not sure, its for you guys to decide. why lose points for ranking low? simple. to punish the ones who miss a weekly. you miss a weekly, you're automatically in the bottom place of the tournament. if there were no penalties for ranking low, why would it be fair for the people that didnt show lose points when they could have just been there, come in last and keep their points?

EX (random numbers):

1rst: 12
2nd: 8
3rd:4
4th: 2
-
-
-
-
before last: -2
last: -4

and everyone who didnt show would be categorized as last...with a -4 penalty.

i think this method is pretty fool proof. if you find holes in there let me know.

zaf

Smash Lord
I for one would like to use elef's method.

top 4 gain points,
bottom lose em ( people who dont come are considered bottom)
It works fine,

i would also like to have set teams, it helps people get better together so that when toruneys come they can better participate. It also makes the leaderboards a little more serious. which i think we should be doing if we want to be beating toronto. people have nothing to complain about with elef's method. if you dont make top4, all you got to do is hope to get even better with your partner next week.

Elefterios

Smash Journeyman
this also means ....no calculator, and no more rounding off decimal points!

zaf and i agree that leaderboard tournaments should come every 2 weeks to keep the community more active. but thats a thing that everyone should agree on.

zaf

Smash Lord
Alright, well a lot of arguing has been going on in these forums for the past few days. I will try and settle everyone's complaints and faults they have found. No arguing this time with other peoples posts. i'm going to state a system now, if you like it or not state yes or no and why please. So it can be fixed. and hopefully applied tomorrow. if it works, we will possibly reset the leaderboard for everyone to have a fresh, new , fair start.

new system
~~

We will adapt elef's method. It is simple, safe and foolproof.

Set teams - This helps when actual tourneys are available. People have practice with their partner and they can improve together.

The leaderboard 2v2 tourney will happen every 2 weeks. This is so that in case partners can not make it every week, they have one week available to miss.

Points will work as such

1st - 12 points
2nd - 8 points
3rd - 6 points
4th - 4 points
-
-
-
-
3rd to last - -2 points
2nd to last - -4 points
last place - 6 points.

Deductions only happening when people are dead last. It is fair for everyone else who always fairs well, and for those who are in the top 4.

People who do not show, will lose points according to last place.

I think with this system, and set teams it is a little more serious. We all need to try and become a little more serious so that we can all get better and improve. We need more then one person beating toronto consistenly.

so please, state wether you agree or not and why, So that we can have a majority ruled leaderboard

†¹Ãgøn¥¹†

Smash Ace
So, if I read correctly, we don't have noob teams anymore? Always the same teams?

If so, then, Agora, you wanna keep teaming? I like R.O.M & Coke xD I'll try and practice one a day my meta knight to keep up with the group.

Agora

Smash Journeyman
edit: ^ I thought you mained ROB :p
He is one of my mains, but even though I generally fare worse with Luigi, I still prefer his play style.

"If so, then, Agora, you wanna keep teaming?"
I guess, but the one thing I really enjoyed with these 2vs2 tourneys was the fact that we were semi-randomly paired :(

Top Bottom