• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Brawl Stage Studio] v0.8.03 Beta - Updated 02/25/09

Status
Not open for further replies.

meleemaster500

Smash Lord
and it lets you make stages on the PC, which is much more convenient than taking the time to do it in the game

THK

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheRedKirby
3DS FC
1005-9416-8042
Hey, just a note; not necessarily one that involves the Stage Studio itself. I think that stages created with the Stage Studio aren't able to be selected when choosing Random while Custom Stages are on for random stage select... This could have to do with the screwy dates (caused by titling the files with words instead of numbers) or possibly by the lack of preview images, though I'm thinking it's the first.
If you're simply hitting random, this is generally normal for regular created stages. You know how it takes a few seconds for the Wii to have custom stages appear, choosing Random tends not to wait. However, if you have the stage selection option to be random, then it'll wait for custom stages, and only for those on the console, not for those on the SD Card.

SmashShard

Smash Rookie
Short answer: It's hacked and allows for more.

Longer answer: This is an improved version of the Brawl editor. It's fully compatible but lets you make levels with overlapping blocks and has a larger item limit, as well as spawn points and the ability to place certain objects a half space up/sideways/etc... things like that. Also, the team is working on making new features to improve the stage-making capabilities of Brawl.
new features i think they should put in is to make stages more realistic
like if you were making Hyrule castle from N64, you can put castles in background
and **** like, know what i mean? :bigthumbu

Disco_Peach

Smash Cadet
Geez, people still don't understand that you CANNOT:

(1) Change the background

(2) Add graphics to the background

(3) Change block colors and textures

(4) Add or remove ledge grips to the blocks

(5) Flip them vertically

(6) Place item spawn points

(7) Create custom blocks

(8) Mix themes

(9) Add anything else that is not in the editor.

READ THE POSTS IN THE TOPIC BEFORE YOU KEEP POSTING THE SAME THING!

Yes, it would be nice. Unfortunately, this is not an SNES rom. It's a tool for a Wii game. So you can't do whatever you please with it. If you wanted to, you have to BURN A CUSTOM COPY OF THE GAME ONTO A DISC AND READ IT VIA HACKED WII.

It's a forum

Smash Apprentice
Geez, people still don't understand that you CANNOT:

(4) Add or remove ledge grips to the blocks
But you can place a solid block next to a platform and shrink the solid block to add ledge grabs once a stretching tool is added. Has anyone tried this yet who can stretch? I wasn't imagining those stretched blocks was I? Can anyone care to explain how stretching affects edges, will there be invisible edges where the block originally fitted or does it created new smaller boundaries for the block?

But I'm pretty sure we can't get rid of the "auto-snap-to-grid"

meleemaster500

Smash Lord
well there's hypothetical ways around the problem, but there is no way to change the properties of blocks

Disco_Peach

Smash Cadet
But you can place a solid block next to a platform and shrink the solid block to add ledge grabs once a stretching tool is added. Has anyone tried this yet who can stretch? I wasn't imagining those stretched blocks was I? Can anyone care to explain how stretching affects edges, will there be invisible edges where the block originally fitted or does it created new smaller boundaries for the block?

But I'm pretty sure we can't get rid of the "auto-snap-to-grid"
I doubt you can "shrink" a block to the point of making it near invisible. At least enough to make platforms grabable. The only thing you can make grabable thanks to the blocks are iced blocks and anything that can completely overlap a block. See a post further back showing progress with the future tool for stretching in the editor.

Full Metal Kirby

Smash Rookie
I doubt you can "shrink" a block to the point of making it near invisible. At least enough to make platforms grabable. The only thing you can make grabable thanks to the blocks are iced blocks and anything that can completely overlap a block. See a post further back showing progress with the future tool for stretching in the editor.
You can easily shrink a block to 0x0, just by setting width and height to 0, as for making it small by stretching while keeping its original 'size', you can make it (about) 1/7th of its original height/width at best, which is pretty small.

As I've explained before anyways; I've spent more then enough time manually editing to know what can and can't be done, and what can be done is as follows:

1) All 'Floors', as well as the Ice Blocks, Falling Platforms, Springs and Spikes, can be made from a width/height of 0 to a width/height of 7. [Note: The conveyor belt can be as well, but height-wise will only end up about 2 blocks high max.]

2) Most/All objects can have the original height/width value given to them split so they're 1/3rd, 1/5th, or 1/7th that size. [Ex: You have a 4 height and a 1/3rd split, the block will be 1.33 in size.]

3) All 'Structures', as well as the Up-Down Platform, Side-to-Side Platform, and Ferris/Water Wheel, are not limited by the 7x7 size rule, and can be marginally bigger (Average of 20x18).

4) All blocks can be broken off the snap-to-grid function to an extent. The best that can be done is off centering an object by half a block of space on the x/y axis.

5) On a large-sized map, objects can 'overlap' the bottom and right side of the map by a max of two spaces (Minus 'junk' space, such as the bottom block of falling platforms) without causing problems.

6) A stage can be made four sizes: Small, Medium, Large, and Null. [Null is value $3, which is useless unless you want constant death.]

7) Conveyor speeds can be increased by overlapping multiple conveyors.

8) Decide if the preview picture is wide screen or full screen.

9) Pick music for the stage not normally selectable [Note: Nameless songs will just freeze if you try to hover over the stage in the Vault on Brawl.]

10) Slanted platforms are the only things that can be 'rotated' to be higher then long, and ONLY because you can do that simply by changing it to have a greater height then width.

11) 'Junk' space can be placed over the upper and left side of the stage and not cause any respawning issues.

12) 'Super-Stretched' objects can be set outside of the upper and left side of the stage to an extent without causing respawning issues.

The following are all handled by the game when it loads the stage and can not be changed without 'run-time' codes, ISO hacking, or USB Gecko, if at all.

1) A width/height beyond those specified above.

2) A depth beyond what is normally given.

3) X/Y/Z Angling of objects.

4) Respawn points.

5) Item spawn points.

6) Upside down objects.

7) Custom block/background textures.

8) Objects unsnapped to the block grid more then the above specified amount.

9) Other things I've probably overlooked.

Also to note, changing the ladder size in any way, shape, or form, is 100% impossible.

tadghd

Smash Rookie
one thing to add: slanted ledges can be made grabbable, by placing a square piece beneath it, then either of the drop-thru platforms overlapping the slanted piece. you can also hide the drop-thru piece behind the others, rather than having it float on top, if you're able to offset it half a space down. hope that makes sense.

It's a forum

Smash Apprentice
4) All blocks can be broken off the snap-to-grid function to an extent. The best that can be done is off centering an object by half a block of space on the x/y axis.
NO WAY!!! That's all I needed too. Did anyone notice how the left-most "helipad" platform on Saffron City is exactly half a block shorter than the main "Silph Co" building. (of course you did, we are on a Smash Bros forum lol)
Any chance of explaining how to off center an object by half a space or when this will be added to StageStudio?

meleemaster500

Smash Lord
when overlapping conveyor belts to make them faster, be careful. too many conveyor belts overlapped will freeze the game

Disco_Peach

Smash Cadet
Thanks for clarifying everything, Full Metal Kirby. It's nice to have a summary and set of laws that go along with the editor. Do you know when it will be finished or at least released for general testing?

Also, has the problem with the special blocks shifting up a tile if they're odd been solved?

Eldiran

Smash Lord
If you're simply hitting random, this is generally normal for regular created stages. You know how it takes a few seconds for the Wii to have custom stages appear, choosing Random tends not to wait. However, if you have the stage selection option to be random, then it'll wait for custom stages, and only for those on the console, not for those on the SD Card.
So what you're saying is, Random will never choose a stage on an SD card? I'll check if they're on the console itself next I can; hopefully that's the case and will fix it.

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
So how is progress going along on this project? I haven't seen many posts from Xane(Which I've been looking out for the last week or so), and I'm curious to see what's implemented into the application thus far. I'm not trying to be nosy or pushy, just honestly curious and excited to see how it's all coming along and hopefully find out what we can expect from the next version.

tadghd

Smash Rookie
equally as curious. can we get an expected feature list, or just some idea of what you're working on? waiting in eager anticipation ;)

Xane

Smash Journeyman
NNID
XaneFeather
3DS FC
3866-8124-2065
Sorry, I'm currently very busy so new updates may take some time. :/
Nevertheless, I just released a new version together with an automatic updater.

[v0.8.03 (25.02.2009 - 02/25/09)]
- NEW: Included an automatic updater.
- NEW: Now checks for valid filenames.
Stages with invalid filenames will not be displayed
in the stage selection screen.
- FIX: Now saves all structures correctly.
- FIX: Fixed some rarely occuring bugs while saving a stage.

GoldenArcher96

Smash Rookie
This is pure win.
I tried making a couple stages with the new version, and it worked perfectly! I love the customization of the program, too. Nice how we can change music in the program. =D
I also tried making my own stage icon. I honestly expected it to freeze up the program. It didn't, which is AWESOME. I'm gonna be making icons for most of my stages, and I'm probably gonna make new stages in that. It breathes new life into the hard-to-manage Stage Builder of SSBB.
There is only one problem that I've had so far, and it really isn't a problem. The date got all messed up. One said it was made in 2364, and another was in 3515. XD But yeah, that doesn't really matter.
So yeah, awesome program!

Bread

Smash Rookie
I've downloaded this and I just created a stage with MANY overlapping blocks and other items.
Now I'm wondering whether the game could freeze or even break for ever so that I had to delete all my data.
I know that I seem to be a bit afraid but I just wanna be careful.
So, can I create stages with hundreds of (or to be precise, up to 252) overlapping blocks or does it cause any problems?

Helix Snake

Smash Cadet
I know this is a long shot, but can you make it so that it shows what the stage will look like in the game? By this I mean move the blocks that will be displayed in front in the game (due to them being bigger along the Z axis) will be displayed in front in the editor? But do stretching blocks first, THAT really needs to be done.

Paff

Smash Journeyman
Hey, I'd like to say, great work so far. I for one am very pleased with what you've got so far, but there are a couplea features that I would really love to have implemented:

1. As I understand it, the block sizing supported by the level format is much more robust than what Brawl's stage editor (or the current version of Brawl Stage Studio) supports, in terms of much larger or smaller block sizes, and independent X and Y sizing. If you were to implement full sizing support, it would greatly increase the possibilities for levels made with this tool.

2. Using Brawl Stage Studio v. 8.0.2, I ended up having a save glitch where I had a small-sized regular block that was placed with its center over one of the grid intersections - that is, its placement fit halfway between locations on the placement grid. I was unaware that this was possible until it happened, and I think this is a promising avenue to look down.

In any case, keep up the good work.

triforceguy1

Smash Rookie
Well :/ I don't own a Mac so it's rather a no.
But I'll work on a Linux version as soon as I get my hands on my new rig.
You could try to find someone experienced with the kind of stuff your doing that owns a mac and ask him/her to help, just a suggestion but it might help.

Revven

FrankerZ
You could try to find someone experienced with the kind of stuff your doing that owns a mac and ask him/her to help, just a suggestion but it might help.
He could ask brkirch for help on that but, he's a college student so I don't know how much time he has for this type of program.

GreenGhost21

Smash Cadet
Strange prob here:
When I use my Mac emulating Windows XP with VMware Fusion, Everything works fine up until the actual stage creating. I assume the program uses 3D, and, unfortunately, my Mac can't run 3D under Windows. Would it be possible to remove the 3D feature, or at least have an option to remove it, if there IS any 3D feature?
P.S. I have an actual windows computer (I only use it for a very small amount of things, since it's speed is shot), and when I use it on the real Windows, which is running the same XP as my mac, it works fine. No prob. I figure it has to do with how my Mac emulates Windows. Ask for more details if you need them.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
For some reason, the first tiem I used this. The program worked fine, but whenever I try to run it now, the program lags and I cant use it properly. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom