• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl+ Official Codeset Gold Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mecakoto

Smash Journeyman
On the Glide Tossing issue:

Before we begin, there are 4 main ways to Glide Toss. Here is a key so you know exactly what I'm talking about, because, looking at the past 2 pages, what I've said has been misinterpreted.

Key:
1) DI: Directional Input. Determines if you Roll (and in which direction), Side-Step, or Jump if you have a shield out at the time. It also determines the former 2 if you input this before you press a shield button. I know all of you know this already, but I must clarify. I also know that the term "DI" means "Directional Influence," but for ease of understanding, treat it Directional Input for this post.
2) S: Shield. You activate your shield by pressing the button to which you have it logged.
3) TA: Throwing with A. You throw using the A button.
4) TC: Throwing with the C-Stick. You thow using the C-Stick.

Method 1: DI -> S -> TA
Method 2: DI -> S -> TC
Method 3: S -> DI -> TA
Method 4: S -> DI -> TC

Now that that is done, let's begin.

I decided not to test anyone and everyone who can glide toss because that would have been counter-productive. I just tested those who mostly use it. (Peach, Diddy, and ZSS) After trying the entire buffer range, I found the following to be constants:

1) Glide Tossing itself has a far stricter timing to get any decent slide out of it. Other then that, the timing is roughly the same. In other words, the window for a proper glide toss is now significantly smaller.
2) Roughly 5% of any Glide Tosses done using both Methods 1 & 2 succeeded in actually Glide Tossing.
3) Roughly 70% of any Glide Tosses done using both Methods 3 & 4 succeeded in actually Glide Tossing.
4) Glide Tossing Up is the most consistent, followed by Glide Tossing Down. Glide Tossing in the direction you're facing and Glide Tossing backwards both have a relatively same consistency and are tied for third.
5) Glide Tossing while rolling backwards is less consistent then Glide Tossing while rolling forward. Glide Tossing backwards also yields slightly less distance then it used to.
6) From what I can tell, throwing with the C-Stick and Throwing with the Attack Button provide no difference what-so-ever.
7) If you want consistency, you need to wait about 4 extra frames for your shield to pop up. From then on, it becomes your error when glide tossing during the roll. Still, for consistency, you have to slightly slow down your gameplay. 4 frames isn't much, but it could be the difference between resetting the current situation of the match and being put in a bad position.

From this, I can conclude that the ones effected by this are the ones that use Methods 1 or 2 to glide toss. Those who used Methods 3 or 4 are unaffected. I ask anyone who says they aren't having trouble if they are using Methods 3 or 4. I also ask those who are if they are using methods 1 or 2. I use method 2, thus my trouble.

NOTE: Before you say anything (if you do) or test which method you use (if you do), please don't think about doing it. Just do it and AFTER you've done it, analyze how you did it. We don't want false positives in this.

I also have an idea of the code responsible. It might be the code responsible for the "shield while dashing" feature. I have no idea how to change the code, or remove it, so I have a favor to ask:

Could someone who is having trouble Glide Tossing remove the code and see if it makes a difference? Or could someone tell me how to remove the code myself so I could see myself? Please and thank you.

The reason I think the above code may be the reason people using Methods 1 & 2 are having trouble is this: while testing, I saw the dash animation begin for a frame. It was then cut off by the shield. I then threw whatever item I was testing at the time out of the shield.

Disclaimer: This is my interpretation of the data that I've found. I'll stand by my results, but I am human. I may have misinterpreted something I saw as something else. That being said, if others' tests come back with different results, I shall test those results to check for differences. If the different results come back to be positive, I'll re-test my results with the different view provided by the others' tests and report back what I've found.

For those who want to post tl;dr:

Read the key and 4 methods. Read the 7 seemingly constant points. Read at least the 4th and 3rd to last paragraphs. Read the Disclaimer.

Anteo

Smash Cadet
Before, I pressed them at the same time. Now I have to press shield then a direction. Its a noticeable difference.
Interesting, my friends have the same problem. They just can't roll if they don't press shield and then direction. They use GC Controlers btw, I don't have that problem since I use mote+chuck. Maybe some code is/was affecting GC controlers?? (downloading the update now)

Edit : If you can only roll by Pressing Shield and then a direcction, then you won't be able to perform a Glide Toss using that method rite??

Edit 2 : They have to wait for the shield to be visibly >-<

SymphonicSage12

Smash Master
No....you can interrupt the initial parts of a roll by glide tossing....that's how you glide toss LOL

And I use method 4 to glide toss...and still have trouble. What I Do is, I press r, then a direction, and glide toss..now I have to actually wait for my shield to visibly come up to get ANY distance. Before, I could just press and hold r, and immediately press a direction and throw...

Yeroc

Theory Coder
BRoomer
I looked over Action 3 again, and I totally didn't realize that rolling forward during initial dash was a hardcoded interrupt >_>. I'll be fixing it presently, along with continuing to figure out a suitable fix for the physics issues of the DC code.

Mecakoto

Smash Journeyman
I looked over Action 3 again, and I totally didn't realize that rolling forward during initial dash was a hardcoded interrupt >_>. I'll be fixing it presently, along with continuing to figure out a suitable fix for the physics issues of the DC code.
Thank you so much. :)

angelbless

Smash Apprentice
"Like the title says, use the updater to download the newest GCT and the newest title screen."

New title screen? havent seen anything. But to be sure whchi of the 5 option in the updater should i choos? I used number 5

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
Does anyone have a Gecko 1.9.1 link. I currently have 1.9.01 and 1.9.2.

IC3R

Smash Lord
Go to Google and search "Gecko OS 1.9.1 modawii"

Still love Kirby.

Ganon's new Dthrow is rather interesting. It's like having a short-range Choke that doesn't kill you if you fall off the stage (which grabbing does not do). Oooh...the combos you can get on heavies.

I also noticed you keep your momentum if you drop through a platform. Very nice. (^-^)b

+Isaiah+

Smash Rookie
Yo, I think there should be a reconsideration on the new Dsmash run thing. Seriously. It's like impossible to DACUS with Falco or Jigglypuff. I can see how it's possible with Snake, but the timing is so annoying and obnoxious.

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
"Like the title says, use the updater to download the newest GCT and the newest title screen."

New title screen? havent seen anything. But to be sure whchi of the 5 option in the updater should i choos? I used number 5
It's either in options 1-4 (2 preferred), all 5 does is update the GCT/fighter PAC's for people that don't want certain things replaced (title screens etc).

Yo, I think there should be a reconsideration on the new Dsmash run thing. Seriously. It's like impossible to DACUS with Falco or Jigglypuff. I can see how it's possible with Snake, but the timing is so annoying and obnoxious.
Run the updater again, we put back in an old dash cancel code so DACUS should work again.

DQP

Smash Ace
sorry if i sound like a n00b, but is there a way to change the stage through which the sse jungle stage loads (i.e. renaming it). i'm not sure if i have to edit it through brawlbox or anything.

Isatis

Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
Does anyone have a Gecko 1.9.1 link. I currently have 1.9.01 and 1.9.2.
sorry if i sound like a n00b, but is there a way to change the stage through which the sse jungle stage loads (i.e. renaming it). i'm not sure if i have to edit it through brawlbox or anything.
It will only work for Temple and WWR, however, the .PAC would have to be remade in order to work with WWR.
Keep stuff like this in the Brawl Hacking Support Thread or the Social thread, this is unrelated to Brawl+ and the more posts we have, the harder it is for people to read through the thread hoping to find what they're looking for.

Daakun

Smash Apprentice

Isatis

Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
Me and Yeroc actually did toy around with adding SSE Jungle and WWR as its own stage icons...we got WWR working, but not SSE Jungle, which kept crashing at "Ready to fight!" on my end.

Daakun

Smash Apprentice
What's the name of the original PAC for that SSE stage?
I might as well give stuffing it into the slot a shot if it means you'll be using the new code.

Alphatron

Smash Champion
Me and Yeroc actually did toy around with adding SSE Jungle and WWR as its own stage icons...we got WWR working, but not SSE Jungle, which kept crashing at "Ready to fight!" on my end.
Go to Maestro's mediafire and download the rel. file he has up for temple. In the example PW posted, the module folder all has rel. files edited from WWR. As SSE Jungle was made from a temple pac, you'll need the edited temple.rel file(which Maestro has made ^_^).

Also applies to any other stage. A stage made from Final Destination's pac requires the edited Final Destination rel file.

Isatis

Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
Go to Maestro's mediafire and download the rel. file he has up for temple. In the example PW posted, the module folder all has rel. files edited from WWR. As SSE Jungle was made from a temple pac, you'll need the edited temple.rel file(which Maestro has made ^_^).

Also applies to any other stage. A stage made from Final Destination's pac requires the edited Final Destination rel file.
I'll probably get around to it later...

Mr. Phantom Wings has already provided a SSS with the extra 9 slots at the end of the melee stages. >_>

I mean the unedited version from the SSE itself.
Easiest to deal with stages that haven't already been toyed around with.
...what?

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
After some good competitive play at Hackfest for the build, I have some opinions on characters. As much as I'm not trying to make it seem like I'm johning as my two main courses for concern are the characters that I lost to, but I still find it to be well deserved points.

Jigglypuff kills waaay too easily. This can partially be seen by Glick's rage fest of 17 stocks in draft crews, even if overall some of us were messing around a bit. There are a good amount of rest combos which are fairly destructive, especially when a lot of bigger characters can't avoid a rest out of a uair regardless of DI afaik, Couple rest with a good on stage kill move in fsmash, and a great off stage game with WoP and fair having "fair"ly good knockback considering the nature of the move (the location a jiggs would generally land it in and consdiering the attacks that lead into it). Jigglypuff has plenty of amazing options that can be used in any situation, and she's a character that can't get gimped at all. Her throws can even kill at reasonable percents factoring in DI.

DDD is one hell of a tank character, and deals massive damage from dair combos. A single dair does 17% iirc and in most situations can practically combo to any other aerial he has, a lot of the time multiple ones in a single string of moves. I'm not sure whats better - lowering the damage or making it combo less. I also think utilt really doesn't fit with the rest of him, considering he's a tank of a character that wont die earlier who can output damage incredibly fast, and he's got utilt which is a fairly fast kill move that kills early and shield stabs incredibly often because of the hitbox. Probably just decreasing dair's damage (but modifying kb so its still similar) and adjusting utilts hitbox would help a lot.

ZacTASTIC

Smash Apprentice
I'm editing my Brawl+ gct, but when I open the text file on the webiste, it says that it is version 5.0 beta. Is there a Near Gold text file anywhere?

Veril

Frame Savant
Glick is good. The characters Glick plays are likewise good.
So true.

The stuff about Jigglypuff is a little silly though. There are pretty much no true combos into up-air with good DI btw, its not especially fast coming out, its fairly unsafe on block, and its hitbox is ballz so SHFF up-air can't approach. Up-tilt combos can all be escaped with SDI.

If rest KOs you its punishable... I could go on. Jiggs is definitely good, but not as good as you make her out to be.

Ahh... this is the life. Ness is juuuuuuuuust right.
:D

"sign of the apocalypse"

Cia

das kwl
After some good competitive play at Hackfest for the build, I have some opinions on characters. As much as I'm not trying to make it seem like I'm johning as my two main courses for concern are the characters that I lost to, but I still find it to be well deserved points.

Jigglypuff kills waaay too easily. This can partially be seen by Glick's rage fest of 17 stocks in draft crews, even if overall some of us were messing around a bit. There are a good amount of rest combos which are fairly destructive, especially when a lot of bigger characters can't avoid a rest out of a uair regardless of DI afaik, Couple rest with a good on stage kill move in fsmash, and a great off stage game with WoP and fair having "fair"ly good knockback considering the nature of the move (the location a jiggs would generally land it in and consdiering the attacks that lead into it). Jigglypuff has plenty of amazing options that can be used in any situation, and she's a character that can't get gimped at all. Her throws can even kill at reasonable percents factoring in DI.

DDD is one hell of a tank character, and deals massive damage from dair combos. A single dair does 17% iirc and in most situations can practically combo to any other aerial he has, a lot of the time multiple ones in a single string of moves. I'm not sure whats better - lowering the damage or making it combo less. I also think utilt really doesn't fit with the rest of him, considering he's a tank of a character that wont die earlier who can output damage incredibly fast, and he's got utilt which is a fairly fast kill move that kills early and shield stabs incredibly often because of the hitbox. Probably just decreasing dair's damage (but modifying kb so its still similar) and adjusting utilts hitbox would help a lot.
You're not mentioning the vulnerability Jigglypuff puts herself in for that rest combo. Not only that, but I couldn't even kill a CPU snake with rest from the center of FD @ 88% The reason some people are dying REALLY early from rest is because they are DI'ing to the left/right and Jigglypuff is catching with rest on that DI. I just DI up and people tend to miss rest against me A LOT. Puff's fine, and has a fair number of bad or even match ups. I wouldn't do anything to her.

As for Dedede, we addressed that issue and he will be fixed before Pound.

Neko - to Have seen Dedede be absolutely untouchable and still deny his advantages is insane. As of right now, we could not find one character that beats Dedede. He has some match ups that are probably a bit more difficult than others (Yoshi, Jiggs) but each of those match ups are sternly in his favor thanks to a combination of Dair, Bair, and some grab combos here and there.

The nerfs will make it so that he can compete with the rest of the cast having advantageous, even, and disadvantageous match ups. When you think about it, isn't having a character with speed, power, bulk, combos, attack and grab range a bit TOO much.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
The stuff about Jigglypuff is a little silly though. There are pretty much no true combos into up-air with good DI btw, its not especially fast coming out, its fairly unsafe on block, and its hitbox is ballz so SHFF up-air can't approach. Up-tilt combos can all be escaped with SDI.
You're not mentioning the vulnerability Jigglypuff puts herself in for that rest combo. Not only that, but I couldn't even kill a CPU snake with rest from the center of FD @ 88% The reason some people are dying REALLY early from rest is because they are DI'ing to the left/right and Jigglypuff is catching with rest on that DI. I just DI up and people tend to miss rest against me A LOT. Puff's fine, and has a fair number of bad or even match ups. I wouldn't do anything to her.
These are all good points, and kind of changes how I think about it a little bit.

As for nothing leads to uair, doesn't pound lead into uair from most DI?

As for rest not killing early, Vanz your taking an incrdibly heavy character from a somewhat large stage in the middle. A lot of times these rest combos are happening fairly high up in the air making it kill sooo much earlier as DI'ing up as you suggested erroneous.

I don't think Jiggz is that OP, but it just seems like she has a little too much going for her offensive game.

And as for there still being plenty of counters to her (I can't think of THAT many), some of which I saw first hand with Vanz going falcon against her, I remember people saying that as a part of Brawl+ they were trying to get rid of any **** matchups (especially as really if a character gets ***** by a single top tier can extremely hurt their viability in the tournament scene). So perhaps Jiggz could receive a little tweak to make her number of bad matchups not quite as bad and some of her **** matchups not quite as good to even her out.

RiteToRmnSilent

Smash Cadet
I have a question, did you guys unfreeze PS1 or was that an accident that it's no longer frozen. Ive redownloaded the stuff to, so just wondering. Or maybe that's only happening to me idk. The more I play this set, the more solid it really feels. I would be happy if this was the final. Of course there's little things I would like a little different, but other than that its just about perfect. Are you guys going to include edited stages in the final? Meaning fixed stages and what not?

Veril

Frame Savant
Jiggs gets ***** by Luigi, Zelda, and GW. She has several matchups which aren't good, but those are by far the worst I can think of. MK, Marth and Olimar are other matchups I would use a second for.

kirox777

Smash Apprentice
i understand its final gameplay wise, but why dont you increase the hitstun just a lil bit more? when we were watching hackfest 5.0 we noticed that the gameplay looks like vBrawl (hit and run) only a few characters gets the privilege to combo :ohwell:. i think the hitstun for 5.0 RC1 was perfect. what was the reason for changing it?

Isatis

Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
Any reply that falls into one of the four following categories is spam and will be punished appropriately:

* Character Talk of any kind: Use the Workshop Character Threads for individual discussion

You can talk about all of the above in the Brawl+ chat or in their respective topics.
This is why I moved the D3 stuff to the D3 thread...I thought you were comparing Falco stuff to D3 which is why I moved it :ohwell:

HOWEVER...read the quote, I'd like to keep all of the character talk out of this thread and into its own topic.

RPGsFTW

Smash Ace
This is why I moved the D3 stuff to the D3 thread...I thought you were comparing Falco stuff to D3 which is why I moved it :ohwell:

HOWEVER...read the quote, I'd like to keep all of the character talk out of this thread and into its own topic.
To be fair then, why isn't the mentioning of Jigglypuff being moved to the Jigglypuff thread?

If necessary, move my last post, about Falco's Nair, to the Falco boards and maybe we'll get some opinions, because I'd like to hear some.

Revven

FrankerZ
i understand its final gameplay wise, but why dont you increase the hitstun just a lil bit more? when we were watching hackfest 5.0 we noticed that the gameplay looks like vBrawl (hit and run) only a few characters gets the privilege to combo :ohwell:. i think the hitstun for 5.0 RC1 was perfect. what was the reason for changing it?
Bolded: That has nothing to do with the hitstun. Those matches went down to that because of three reasons: it's play to win (meaning play as gay as possible if you have to), those two characters (Peach and Ivysaur) have some form of projectile and are able to get away by running and throwing projectiles out, and finally, in that match-up there's no reward in going on the offensive as you can accomplish the same thing by just running and "spamming" a projectile, dealing damage over time and gaining the percent lead to time them out.

That situation has happened in Melee before, there's like one good match on YT of Vidjo (Peach) vs a Fox on Poke Floats... it goes up to 7 minutes believe it or not. Of course, most people in Melee play offensively, however the defense is still quite good.

Increasing the hitstun would not change that, all that would do is enhance the reward for going offensive and even when the hitstun was that high in RC1, it was still better (in that specific match-up or others like it) to hit and run.

As to the rest of your post, here's what I will tell you:

Hitstun was lowered to get rid of true combos as being the only combos and instead force a focus on techchasing and predicting your opponent's DI. Not only does this enforce some amount of skill, it also deepens the game, especially the characters. True combos are still important but, they are not the end all be all. Plus, it also gets rid of "autocombos" as people call them.

It's not going up because some people can't seem to grasp the idea of actually working for their combos.

KOkingpin

Smash Champion
Bolded: That has nothing to do with the hitstun. Those matches went down to that because of three reasons: it's play to win (meaning play as gay as possible if you have to), those two characters (Peach and Ivysaur) have some form of projectile and are able to get away by running and throwing projectiles out, and finally, in that match-up there's no reward in going on the offensive as you can accomplish the same thing by just running and "spamming" a projectile, dealing damage over time and gaining the percent lead to time them out.
I'm pretty sure that Peach and Ivy have solid combos/tech-chase combos as well. Ivysaur Dair>Uair>UpB = sex

HeroFalcon7

Smash Rookie
I have a question about Brawl +. A friend of mine and myself were huge melee fans when it was very popular and at is peak. We remember all the big names and tournaments and our concern is if Brawl + will ever get to at least some point popular enough to replicate some success. How many people have access to Brawl + and how many tournaments are there.

We are from Riverside, CA and would like to know who around SoCal suppports Brawl +. We are really concerned that Brawl + will not have enough players to find like Melee. If there is a list to people that play Brawl + and Tournaments and also if any of the top players from both Melee and Brawl play it I would really appreciate some feedback.

Thanks.

CountKaiser

Smash Lord
The problem is that you reside on the west coast. Most B+ players that I know of reside either on the east coast or in Canada. The furthest west I know of that has people playing B+ regularly is Las Vegas with RPGs, FOW, and SK92.

I don't know anyone who plays B+ in cali, sorry. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom