• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I think they took all the ads down actually. That or they removed them all but readded joker shortly after.
Just to double check as I'm aware you have to clear your cache and history, None of the ads popped up for me, not even Joker so I'm either doing it wrong or they're all gone. I used these words just to clarify:

Banjo Kazooie Smash Bros
Artorias Smash Bros
Ryu Hayabusa Smash Bros
Doom Slayer Smash Bros

Last edited:

SkeffVEVO

Smash Apprentice
Each day it seems more and more likely that Erdrick is leakbait, and today is no different. As a Geno and Banjo fan this makes me very happy as they could both finally be playable in Smash.

D

Deleted member

While I don’t believe in stuff like leakbaits, I do feel that a character being likely if that ends up happening isn’t a deconfirmation.

Unless Sakurai says names of characters who won’t get in now or in the future, everyone can happen.

SKX31

Smash Master
Story time!

I work in downtown Boston and there's a pretty big Gamestop on Winter street, near the Boston Commons. This particular Gamestop has pictures of gaming icons on the walls around the store. Big names. Mario, Link, Pikachu, Megaman, Snake, Master Chief, Chun-Li, Lora Croft, Kratos, with only SpongeBob being the odd one out (Spongebob for Smash anyone?).

So I went down today to test a theory and sure enough, you know who else is on their walls?

That's right.

Banjo.

Don't ever let people convince you he's not an icon just because he hasn't had a game in a while.
Aside from me being really cautious about anecdotal evidence (I'm a fervent AskHistorian at heart, okay?), I would also be cautious about counting some of those as icons (S-tier) within the gaming spectrum. Not Megaman, not Snake (any longer), not Banjo. For those I lean towards High A-tier - very well known within those who play video games, maybe not so for non-gamers. Yea, there's a bunch of caveats here, but that's not the point.

To be fair, my criteria for defining icons include not just popularity, appearances in other stuff (incl. merchandising) or such, it's also consitency at the spotlight etc. My bar is high - maybe ridicolously so. Megaman 2 remains the highest selling Megaman game despite tons of successors (and has had at least two dark ages) and Snake's currently buried by Konami.

And that's okay. B-K not being iconic amongst non-gamers has a certain advantage to it. They're very easy to reintroduce to lets say most kids born post 2005 (who didn't even get the chance to know N&B). The path to S-tier icon status is always open; if you'd ask me it's about getting some very strong momentum for B-K.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
So, if confirmed, who is going to use Banjo-Kazooie the moment after they download them?

AugustusB

Smash Champion
So, if confirmed, who is going to use Banjo-Kazooie the moment after they download them?
WITHOUT QUESTION! I am hoping to see the presentation with my buddy who is a BIG Banjo-Kazooie fan and is kind of my rival in Smash.

We will master him.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I would wager most regulars in this thread at the very least.
That includes myself.

Good Luck downloading him when he is released. The servers are going to be slammed.
I managed to download Joker while there was traffic before, I can do it again, but yeah, that will pretty much happen with everyone.

Last edited:

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Well, DUH.

Good Luck downloading him when he is released. The servers are going to be slammed.
Yeah, that's kind of the one thing that concerns me if they release a character during E3 (or ESPECIALLY two); we may very well have a repeat of the Joker disaster where nobody could download him until the following day, and considering that was apparently the THIRD TIME that this has happened to Nintendo's servers regarding something Smash related, I frankly don't have a lot of confidence in them avoiding this scenario.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Just to double check as I'm aware you have to clear your cache and history, None of the ads popped up for me, not even Joker so I'm either doing it wrong or they're all gone. I used these words just to clarify:

Banjo Kazooie Smash Bros
Artorias Smash Bros
Ryu Hayabusa Smash Bros
Doom Slayer Smash Bros
Is it europeon version of google?

But yea those should be correct

Justin Little

Smash Ace
There is a fun little theory tossed around that one of the reasons why the new YL is 2D is because it is to avoid competition with Banjo. I just saw someone suggest it on twitter so there are no strong bases for it. Just thought I might share it.

D

Deleted member

I was able to play Joker at launch, so maybe I could be able to do so with Banjo too.

D

Deleted member

Bold of you to assume that there are people here who won't
Yeah, that's kind of the one thing that concerns me if they release a character during E3 (or ESPECIALLY two); we may very well have a repeat of the Joker disaster where nobody could download him until the following day, and considering that was apparently the THIRD TIME that this has happened to Nintendo's servers regarding something Smash related, I frankly don't have a lot of confidence in them avoiding this scenario.
The server issues on Joker's release were entirely on someone deciding to schedule maintenance at the same time the update dropped, plus I don't recall anything similar to it happening with Piranah Plant.

D

Deleted member

Something worth to note is that I bought Joker alongside Cuphead since both released the same day.

ze9

Smash Ace
So, how bad was the server situation for Joker?
I downloaded him like one month after his presentation, so I don't know.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Some genius at Nintendo decided that they should do an overnight maintenance at the same time they scheduled Joker to be released. It was a good 12 hours before people could download Joker correctly. Some people were able to get him if they were lucky though. Most of the time the download started but errored out near the end.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
It was rough for the first few hours - a lot of people couldn't even access the eShop (or the game itself - can't remember which).

Either way, if we get an "available after this presentation" in the Direct, it won't be, because everyone will try downloading it at the same time.

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
It took about a full 24 hours before you could consistently download him.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Is it europeon version of google?

But yea those should be correct
Yes, I'm from the UK so that's part of Europe as far as I'm aware and I used the Firefox browser if that makes any difference. I am not getting any ads from the specified fighters, including Joker.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Worst part is: it was bad enough with just Joker. Two characters, though? And possibly a lot of people who didn't buy the FP yet trying to access the eShop?

It might be many times worse, unless they've learned the very important lesson to not do maintenance updates on the same day and hour.

ze9

Smash Ace
Some genius at Nintendo decided that they should do an overnight maintenance at the same time they scheduled Joker to be released. It was a good 12 hours before people could download Joker correctly. Some people were able to get him if they were lucky though. Most of the time the download started but errored out near the end.
Ooof. 12 hours is A LOT.
I don't recall anything even nearly as bad for Smash 4. At most, it took me maybe half an hour to download Lucas, Roy and Ryu.

Hope they fixed the servers a bit, somehow.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Ooof. 12 hours is A LOT.
I don't recall anything even nearly as bad for Smash 4. At most, it took me maybe half an hour to download Lucas, Roy and Ryu.

Why do I feel doubtful on the bolded part?

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Ooof. 12 hours is A LOT.

No one owned a Wii U thats why. :v

Nap_

Smash Journeyman
Download? I will buy a Switch now that I got some money and they will the very first fighter.

And talking about WiiU servers... Yes, I recall some problems with Ryu & co. release right after a Direct, that,s why Cloud was released some time after at a quiet moment.

Last edited:
Top Bottom