• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Spear Master! (v(- ' ' -)>↑ ~ Dee wait is killing us...

Do you want Bandana Dee in SSB4?

• Total voters

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
this have been really slow here the forums I'm just waiting for some news on smash like anything at all. Also do you guys know when the next direct is going to be?

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
this have been really slow here the forums I'm just waiting for some news on smash like anything at all. Also do you guys know when the next direct is going to be?
At this time, nobody knows when the next Direct will occur. However, Gamescom is happening and Nintendo will be present there, so there might be a possible Direct that we could see in the coming days. Other then that, that's the only good guess I have for a direct.

(To be entirely honest, the majority of content that will be shown at Gamescom is literally stuff from 2014, such as Super Smash Bros for Wii U/3DS, so I doubt they'd do a direct with not much content to present).

Last edited:

BlueZard

Smash Journeyman
NNID
tangerine1234
Didn't Bandana Dee sounded like a duck in Rainbow Curse?
Wait, does he really? That... Seems kinda weird, in my opinion. I'd honestly prefer if he didn't make any sounds like that, unless they actually aren't as awkward as I'm currently imagining. I don't own Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, and I haven't watched that many videos on Youtube... And the ones I HAVE watched had commentary, so it'd probably be hard for me to hear anyways.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Wait, does he really? That... Seems kinda weird, in my opinion. I'd honestly prefer if he didn't make any sounds like that, unless they actually aren't as awkward as I'm currently imagining. I don't own Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, and I haven't watched that many videos on Youtube... And the ones I HAVE watched had commentary, so it'd probably be hard for me to hear anyways.
The same sounds are used in Dedede's Drum Dash Deluxe, if you have the Waddle Dee mask, too.

They're not bad, though they're not quite what I expected, personally. :laugh:

Shiny Porygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShinyPory
Yeah, he has a minor voice clip that plays when you have a second player join, and when he gets hurt. It's odd-sounding, not much like a duck honestly, but very simple altogether. All in all, it's kind of hard to describe, but I don't think it would appease an entire voice in a Smash appearance.

The same sounds are used in Dedede's Drum Dash Deluxe, if you have the Waddle Dee mask, too.

They're not bad, though they're not quite what I expected, personally. :laugh:
They're different from Drum Dash. The ones in Rainbow Curse are original, while the ones in Drum Dash I believe are the same sound made when navigating a menu.

Yeah, We ALL need a Direct
But that may take a while, since Iwata has passed away
Maybe they're still trying to figure out What they will do or say when they start the first Direct without Iwata :(
As far as I'm concerned, the recent Directs have not had Iwata prior to his passing (likely because of his condition).
He was replaced by separate individuals. In Japan, this fellow took his place:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUxgnYVD_-Q
While in America, Trinen hosted it. I think they'd want to wait a while to get things settled and back in order before doing another one. The question is, when? Only time will tell. They still have the Splatoon information coming up to talk about on the 8th, so there's always that. I expected them to have one for Smash, but I guess it wasn't all that necessary since it was mostly things we already knew about and any real "new" info was just Mii Fighter costumes. So, I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

On another note, has this been posted yet?

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...evelopers_give_background_on_design_decisions

I know it's a bit old, but I just want to make sure. He details a bit about Bandana Dee's character and why he was chosen and such.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
"The interviewers asked why Waddle Dees were chosen as the multiplayer characters instead of characters such as Meta Knight or King Dedede, and the developers had this to say:

The people who join multiplayer have one responsibility, and that is to protect Kirby. To me, I thought only one character really suited that responsibility, and that was Waddle Dee. He can catch Kirby, he can fight with a spear, and he's a lovable and humorous character that I think is unique and attractive for the game".

Pretty interesting, thanks for the information!
I think Bandana Dee will be an important character in all the next Kirby games, yay!

Also, yes... Bandana Dee is attractive (v(- ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°-)>↑

Wasoodle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Wasoodle
That's great information!

I love how they referred to Bandana Dee as a "he" and not a "they", and also mentions that he has his own personality. Another reason to counter the generic argument.

Last edited:

Furret24

Smash Master
[/spoiler]
Random question, if Bandana Dee gets in, what kind of voice do you think he'd have? Would he quack, be completely mute or something else?
I don't think Bandana Dee should really have a voice, much like Villager, Olimar, Pac-Man, etc. At most give his spear thrusting sounds like in Return to Dreamland and Rainbow Curse.

D

Deleted member

I've been playing RtDL on the Virtual Console and holy crap Bandana Dee's jump is the best thing to happen to the series. Its so fast, looks so goofy (especially when spammed), and is why Bandana Dee should have 6 jumps in Smash Bros. His Dtilt should be the slide kick, Spear Throw is amazing… Why is Deesus so great? I've already beaten the 2nd boss and Bandana Dee is pretty awesome.
he's a lovable and humorous character that I think is unique and attractive for the game".
This sums up why I love Bandana Dee ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Logo12

Smash Lord
Somewhere without a Smash community. Send hlep
We flock to any where someone insults Bandana Dee..

Every day I look up.
Bandana Dee
Bandanna Dee
Waddle Dee
Bandana Waddle Dee
Goomba with a hat

But I have a feeling Shane does it for attention. I'm not gonna bother.
Not really for attention. It basically starts with people throwing opinion and find that their opinion clashes each other and end up a big argument on the said character. Happened for me twice with Ryuga.

Like in this case, Shane started out saying K Rool is unlikely and Isaac is a long shot, then someone replied the opposite. Someone also put their opinion and said "inb4 arguments", then this debate happened. (In no way did I intend to move the topic here, plz no discuz)
I'd say it's a common thing in character discussion threads, when people start gossiping about other contenders. Nothing really worthy to report on.

Just sayin', you calling a mod had actually caused me to get a warning.

Shadow Keebey

Smash Hero
I'm going to admit, I've never been a fan of the Spear ability. I just think the damage output is too low. If I could play a Kirby game with BDee playable, I think I could get used to it.

Hypernovaguy64

Smash Lord
NNID
Warpstar64
So I ran into this idiot who kept saying Kirby was asexual and gender less. I told him he was a guy, and I gave him all of the evidence, but I guess he really doesn't want to listen.

So I heard you were talking about BD's voice. Noice. I think he could use some duck sounds, but only when he gets hurt or is KO'd.

So I ran into this idiot who kept saying Kirby was asexual and gender less. I told him he was a guy, and I gave him all of the evidence, but I guess he really doesn't want to listen.

So I heard you were talking about BD's voice. Noice. I think he could use some duck sounds, but only when he gets hurt or is KO'd.
Maybe he mistook Kirby for a Ditto. :troll:

swordofacorn

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Swordofacorn
3DS FC
0216-0878-5036
Maybe he mistook Kirby for a Ditto. :troll:
We know that Kirby is part of a species, so maybe the Kirby that we play as in smash and the Kirby games is actually a ditto transformed into Kirby. Think about it, have we ever seen multiple pink kirbys, maybe kirbys are pink but peaches ditto is pink than he transformed into a pink Kirby.

Chalo5000

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0104-1645-4836
To be fair, Ditto can take the form of any Pokemon, including the veritable god that is Arceus.
Ditto can be everything

We know that Kirby is part of a species, so maybe the Kirby that we play as in smash and the Kirby games is actually a ditto transformed into Kirby. Think about it, have we ever seen multiple pink kirbys, maybe kirbys are pink but peaches ditto is pink than he transformed into a pink Kirby.
Plot Twist: We're all a Ditto :132:
This isn't a Ditto thread -.-

Flameduck

Smash Cadet
Bandana Dee moveset idea:

He could have a tether grab using a Rainbow Thing/Elline from Rainbow Curse/Paintbrush in the air. However I don't really want him to have a ground tether grab because most are kind of laggy, but it could work. Somehow.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Think about it, have we ever seen multiple pink kirbys
I really hate to spoil the joke, but my love of game lore insists that I point out that, yes, we have, in quite a lot of games. ;) Pink is, in fact, the most common colour by far for Kirby's species (which is nowadays officially referred to as "ball" in Japan, and "puffball" in the West, by the way).

Chalo5000

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0104-1645-4836
I really hate to spoil the joke, but my love of game lore insists that I point out that, yes, we have, in quite a lot of games. ;) Pink is, in fact, the most common colour by far for Kirby's species (which is nowadays officially referred to as "ball" in Japan, and "puffball" in the West, by the way).
Seriously?
I recall seeing only three puffballs, Kirby, Meta Knight and Galacta Knight
Kirby being pink, Galacta Knight being magenta and Meta Knight being blue :drshrug:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Seriously?
Kirby being pink, Galacta Knight being magenta and Meta Knight being blue :drshrug:
Here you go :p. Not sure if these are Kirbies, but these are probably what were being referred to.

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Seriously?
There's also the crowds who Kirby returns the stolen food to at the end of the first game (and Spring Breeze in Kirby Super Deluxe), and who cheer him on from the audience in Super Deluxe's training areas, along with the various stewards of various Goal Games in various titles. (For a time, this resulted in Kirby's species being mistakenly referred to simply as "Dream Landers", which of course is really the correct term for residents of that region. It's debatable as to whether the puffballs or the Waddle Dees make up the majority of the population.)

Then there's Keeby (he of the delightfuly punny name), and it's also worth noting that the nameless multi-coloured variants seen in several games aren't meant to be mere recolours of Kirby himself, but other members of/representing the puffball species.

@ Zerp Zerp - See above. :)

Last edited:

Chalo5000

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0104-1645-4836
Here you go :p. Not sure if these are Kirbies, but these are probably what were being referred to.
Those guys are creepy :drwtf:

There's also the crowds who Kirby returns the stolen food to at the end of the first game (and Spring Breeze in Kirby Super Deluxe), and who cheer him on from the audience in Super Deluxe's training areas, along with the various stewards of various Goal Games in various titles. (For a time, this resulted in Kirby's species being mistakenly referred to simply as "Dream Landers", which of course is really the correct term for residents of that region. It's debatable as to whether the puffballs or the Waddle Dees make up the majority of the population.)

Then there's Keeby (he of the delightfuly punny name), and it's also worth noting that the nameless multi-coloured variants seen in several games aren't meant to be mere recolours of Kirby himself, but other members of/representing the puffball species.

@ Zerp Zerp - See above. :)
I'm pretty sure that the crowd were just Waddle Dees
EDIT: Yep, just Waddle Dees
Also, the Kirbys from the training areas and the goal games are just a visual joke, since It's not canon
The training area and the goal game are just because it's a game
The multi-colored variants of Kirby are indeed, just recolors of Kirby (including Keeby)
They only appear so Kirby can have multiplayer
What other reason would be to call them all just Kirby?

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
You have the wrong game - I said Kirby Super Deluxe, not its remake, along with the original Game Boy game. ;) No Waddle Dees in sight in the endings or training rooms there.

Man, this remake-posting is making me feel old, Chalo! :laugh:

Also, the Kirbys from the training areas and the goal games are just a visual joke, since It's not canon
They are a recurrence of the aforementioned canonical crowds who made up the whole purpose of Kirby's mission however. ;)

The multi-colored variants of Kirby are indeed, just recolors of Kirby (including Keeby)
Keeby is factually a character, obscure though he is. If he must be boiled down to anything, it would be fair to say that he's less of a recolour, and more of a nod to Miyamoto's crazy suggestion of making Kirby yellow. :laugh:

Well, they don't have names. :laugh: But the fact remains, mere recolours or not, that they still represent Kirby's species as a whole.

Last edited:

Shadow Keebey

Smash Hero
Those guys are creepy :drwtf:

What about Air Ride? There are like 8 or so other Kirbys with different colours and I don't think that game was 8 players. Also, all this talk makes me wonder, are there alternatively coloured Waddle Dees like the B Dee in Rainbow Curse multiplayer?

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Also, all this talk makes me wonder, are there alternatively coloured Waddle Dees like the B Dee in Rainbow Curse multiplayer?
There are, but they don't tend to run the gamut that far usually - their colours tend to encompass reds, oranges, yellows, and similar (am I missing any colours outside of Rainbow Curse, guys?).

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I have a confession to make. I didn't realize that Pop Star and Rock Star were actually puns until last year.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I have a confession to make. I didn't realize that Pop Star and Rock Star were actually puns until last year.
Don't worry - I didn't get the "Dededetour" one until I saw someone here mention it before I joined, and I actually use Dedede puns in my regular speech...

Chalo5000

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0104-1645-4836
You have the wrong game - I said Kirby Super Deluxe, not its remake, along with the original Game Boy game. ;) No Waddle Dees in sight in the endings or training rooms there.

Man, this remake-posting is making me feel old, Chalo! :laugh:
Oh yeah, wrong game :drfacepalm:
Sorry, I never heard of Kirby Super Deluxe :dizzy:
But again, those are just Waddle Dees
The reason of why they look like Kirby is Early Installment Weirdness
That's why they changed it in the remake :p
They are a recurrence of the aforementioned canonical crowds who made up the whole purpose of Kirby's mission however. ;)
Nope, they are literally just Kirby clones
They are just made for those exact mini-games
Keeby is factually a character, obscure though he is. If he must be boiled down to anything, it would be fair to say that he's less of a recolour, and more of a nod to Miyamoto's crazy suggestion of making Kirby yellow.
Keeby is just a reference to Miyamoto wanting a yellow Kirby, but again, he's just a recolor
Literally Yellow Kirby
Well, they don't have names. :laugh: But the fact remains, mere recolours or not, that they still represent Kirby's species as a whole.
They don't represent Kirby's species, they represent Kirby :dr^_^:
That's why they are just called Kirby
Keeby has a nickname because
1.- Miyamoto wanted a yellow Kirby
2.- Puns (I don't get it but watev)
What about Air Ride? There are like 8 or so other Kirbys with different colours and I don't think that game was 8 players. Also, all this talk makes me wonder, are there alternatively coloured Waddle Dees like the B Dee in Rainbow Curse multiplayer?
Those are just Kirby recolors, they aren't canon (except in the Amazing Mirror, but that's a different story)

Top Bottom