• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Ask about Pikachu! Hosted by Axe and N64! feat. dkuo!

Dynamism?

Smash Champion
I feel like... In order to become a great Melee player, you have to come up with your own origional ideas. They all have origional techniques and an origional playstyle, and that's a huge part of being able to get to that level. If you want to become one of the greatest Melee players of all time, you have to be origional.

At least... those are my thoughts =)
This is something I try to help people understand as well. What makes you good is what you can add to what you know to make something work.

I've seen these words in so many ways and heard them so many times, from you and others.

The style, technique and mental process have very little to do with the actual game, and this is what seperates mediocrity from great. This comes from individual creativity and mind, not practice or observation. It's what you put ON TOP of your views and play time that makes your vision of the game and you playing the game significant, not the fact that your playing the game itself, but how.

I think that's something special that I have for Pikachu unlike the rest of my characters. I feel like my Falco, Fox, Marth, Peach, etc... is kinda just copied from other people. I feel like I literally just watched other people and copied them.
I'm the complete opposite. I didn't have a main, still don't really. I rarely play more than once a month and have only been playing for a little over a year. With such little experience and barely seeing anyone else play the game, I've excelled well simply by a 'growing as I go' process. Everything is made up on the spot, learning on the spot and never doing the same thing twice, no matter how effective it may be. From this, I've gotten better much faster than anyone I've met to date at this game and I've played less than anyone I know at a high level.

The mental part of the game, the thinking and innovation, making up things as you play and experimenting, watching and applying, then altering what you know to find out what you don't know, what others don't know, and trying it. That makes a good player. Anything is possible in a game this flexible, there are no limitations. Mimiking and NOT GROWING is limiting. Always grow.

My Pika story is bland...
I had to stop playing for over 6 months because of music/writing/work/family and when I came back, I figured I would find a 'MAIN' because I'd never really had one, or at least put any work into one.

So I picked 11 characters, Pika happened to be one of them because someone told me there were some good Pika players that recently proved Pika wasn't that bad (specifically people named Axe and told me tricks that he used that worked). So I decided to pick up Pika and learn to play him the best I could and see if he was a suitable main for me. I've yet to see another person play Pika aside from Diakonos who I get to play locally sometimes. But I did see the latest Axe combo video once. So far I've made up everything on the fly and learn little tricks every once in a while (like what to do in specific matchups mainly) and it's gone well.

All 11 are still on my list of characters. One day I'll narrow it down, hopefully by summer but :\

Pika_Cam

Smash Ace
Hey! Pikachu main from brawl here trying to pick up Pikachu in melee. Any advice for the transition? I know very little about Pika in melee. I know his uair spikes and his tjolts go higher. I also know that thunder doesn't kill as easily. That's about all I know so far about the differences.

AXE 09

Smash Master
Oh snaps lol. Well..... I'm gonna be honest and say that he is better in brawl. However, that doesn't mean that he's not still **** in Melee. He's just different. A few things I can name off the top of my head...

He has a lot more lag on his thunder, making it much less spamable.
He cannot auto cancel his Fair and Dair like he can in brawl, but Melee has the gift of L-canceling to make up for this.
He can't Quick Attack Cancel making his up-b not a viable form of movement on stage, but he has some awesome options on the ledge thanks to Melee's physics.
His Bair doesn't have a bunchload of hitboxes like in brawl. Instead he only has 2: the normal one, and an extra one when you hit the ground.
His thunderjolt is slower, making a thunderjolt a good approach since you can shoot a thunderjolt and run along side it.
His Uair is AMAZING in Melee. You have much more options with it than in brawl.
He can't crawl :(
He's a pimp :)

You will find Pikachu MUCH different in Melee than he is in brawl. It takes a while to get used to. In my opinion, he is extremely fun to play. Even though he's better in brawl, I have more fun with him in Melee.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
Pichu can use his up-B for crazy movement on the ground uber hard but brlaw pikachu can do that WTF? also aze bair only has the one hit box your thinking of dair and the 2nd hitbox doesn't help pikachu at all.

/also you have to mash A in order to do the infi. LOL

AXE 09

Smash Master
also aze Axe bair only has the one hit box your thinking of dair and the 2nd hitbox doesn't help pikachu at all.
Bair actually does have a 2nd hitbox when he lands, just like Dair does. I think Pichu's also has a 2nd hitbox, right?

I forgot about the rapid A thing hahaha. I kinda wish that was in melee. It'd help so much.

Oh yeah, I also almost forgot... His forward B has a LOT more lag and can't sweetspot the edge, so it's not nearly as good. It still helps your recovery though, but not nearly as much as in brawl.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
Don't use side-B unless your wouldn't make it otherwise ior are going to barely make it.

combos, I can't really combo, but up-throw to air attack on most of the cast, up-tilt to air-attack/tilti/grab/smash on FFers depending on percent and everything.

F*** I wish I could combo. :( what kind of pichu player am I? I've never gonen nair nair combo before.

But hey how about somefancy stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGTWI2f6AIE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-27BxoddBmM

You know, when I saw axes vids I though he was really good but there was one where he started f-tilting someone and it wasn't for edge gaurd it was a random mix-up that helped a lot whenI saw axe f-tilt I knew he was to good, not the combos.

indigestible_wad

Smash Lord
Pichu can use his up-B for crazy movement on the ground uber hard but brlaw pikachu can do that WTF? also aze bair only has the one hit box your thinking of dair and the 2nd hitbox doesn't help pikachu at all.

/also you have to mash A in order to do the infi. LOL
Brawl pikachu is evolved melee pichu.

Sourspot running shffl'd nair to uair to dair is fun to pull off, even if the benefits aren't that great for how much you have to put into it. Running shffl nair combos quite well into a lot of things, like ftilt, dtilt, fsmash, another shffl nair, etc. Fair can combo vertically, as well as horizontally, depending on where you land the hitbox, it can act similarly to a running nair. Fair combos into itself fyi, but that's not a great thing to do, as you get six damage out of it. A running full hop thuderjolt can combo into a grab, ftilt, or fsmash, but only on incompetent players, as many people will just sex kick your jolt and you'll end up running right into them. Up chaingrabs on fastfallers, as well as techchases for downthrow. Uair and utilt can combo into themselves and finish with an upsmash. That's all the basic stuff I can think of, most everything else is either tricky or situational.

AXE 09

Smash Master

Pika_Cam

Smash Ace
I'm just trying to figure out some ways to rack up damage with Pikachu, hence me asking what some of his combos are.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Hey, Axe, does uthrow nair work on floaties like Marth? I noticed that sometimes uthrow uair gets the tail spike, and so it's hard to follow up, whereas nair does more damage and sometimes combos into another nair falling off the platform or whatever.

tdk_Samurai

Smash Ace
I'm just trying to figure out some ways to rack up damage with Pikachu, hence me asking what some of his combos are.
well, different things work on different characters but some basic mindsets you should have are

nairs to arials, or upsmashes (I prefer a 2nd and maybe a 3rd nair cause I feel its easier, but idk if it would be the best option)

falling uairs to arials or upsmashes and sometimes grabs ( I prefer upsmashes cause they can combo into another arial but I see alot of pikas do a failing upair to grab)

rising upair to arials (too legit, and too easy)

on fast fallers you wanna keep the upthrow to upsmash in mind (they can't get out of it untill they are at a percent where a down tilt would prolly kill them)

do you want like a character specific list of what combos, or does that cover what you were wondering, or what do you need? I think thats kinda what you were wanting, but feel free to ask anything here.

edit: also, what mogwai said about the utrow nair thing is pretty on point from my experience, but I think uthrow you air can be okay if you spike it, I'm pretty sure I see axe do that into another grab or something alot.

Incronaut

Smash Ace
If a fox is charging a fire fox, and i jump off the stage to get him, whats the best move to do?

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
nair or dair. dair's usually better, but i find it harder to line up sometimes so I'll just throw out an early nair and FF the weak hit into Fox sometimes. oh and sometimes I'll throw out a fair and ff it so that when he starts the firefox again, I'm below him and positioned to uair spike :p Pikachu's mad gay, :laugh:

Incronaut

Smash Ace
sounds good mogwai.. didnt know you had the chu in you

edit: also, anyone who is knowledgeable, can anyone make a thread about all of pikachu's quick attack tricks? some things i'd like are:

-Axe's double up QA trick (more in depth if anyone knows how)
-Double side by riding on the stage
-tips on sweetspotting (from the stage too)
-tips on regrabbing the ledge (this one prolly isnt necessary)
-the glitch where you hit a projectile or something and super QA of some sort

and anything else i missed <3

i wish i had AR or something so i can help.. OR a decent computer so i could play melee on emulator

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
double up-B is uber hard you up and then at one point you input left and right at the same time.

I don't understand

Know up-B only advice.

up-B glitch- if you hit a projectile uring the 2nd part of up-B it makes it longer I believe.

Ch3s

Smash Journeyman
double up-B is uber hard you up and then at one point you input left and right at the same time.

I don't understand

Know up-B only advice.

up-B glitch- if you hit a projectile uring the 2nd part of up-B it makes it longer I believe.
Any attack with knockback actually i believe (someone else can confirm). projectile is just easiest. And the way ive seen Axe do it is jump, first one goes down, then the next one towards the projectile. watch the last part of his combo video

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
I wanna learn Pikachu as a serious secondary so I'm subscribing.. so I can learn stuff =D
random info :D

pikachu has the worse grab range/sheild size in the whole game

pikachu is slower than pichu

up-tilt(not up-smash) has a sourspot only that changes killing percent by about 8%.

green-hat makes pikachu a pimp.

Also i'll try to make it to poe3 because my dad said I can't go to apex. :( sorry axe.

N64

Smash Champion
If i'm ever back up in new york, we can have a pika knowledge session vanz.

and then you'll be another pika that's better than me : (

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
my dad's falut axe said said I couldn't wouldn't listen, tryed to sound fair and gave me one of these I sound like I know what i'm talking about smart reasons where he didn't really said anything.

Cia

das kwl
If i'm ever back up in new york, we can have a pika knowledge session vanz.

and then you'll be another pika that's better than me : (
I WISH my Pikachu would get as good as yours. Whenever you come back, plz let me know! Right now, I'm learning how to use Uair correctly so that I get the desired effect from it. I'm having the most trouble with quick attack attack angles angles tho. soooo much to learn.

AXE 09

Smash Master
Hey guys! I went to a tournament yesterday, and... :)

1: Axe ($51.00)
2: Forward ($25.50)
3: Tai ($8.50)
4: Taj
5: Silly Kyle
5: Shiv
7: Duff0
7: Goop
9: Corn
9: Bairhug
9: Aves
9: AltF4Warrior
13: Pwny
13: Rain
13: Lonewolf
13: Jar'd
17: DualCats

Yesssss!

And yes, I went all Pikachu against both Forward and Taj lol (except for 1 match against Forward in grand finals because he chose Sheik; I chose Falco)

No vids were recorded though =(

Dynamism?

Smash Champion
Man I do the strangest things with pika. I know it's not very efficient but people yelling 'wtf was that? That was crazy!" mid-match is a good sign that I'm on the right track. lol

YAAAAAAAAAAAY Axe :D

AXE 09

Smash Master
Man I do the strangest things with pika. I know it's not very efficient but people yelling 'wtf was that? That was crazy!" mid-match is a good sign that I'm on the right track. lol

YAAAAAAAAAAAY Axe :D
I like how we posted at almost the exact same time lol.

Keep up the Pika Dynamism! :)

Top Bottom