• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Ask about Pikachu! Hosted by Axe and N64! feat. dkuo!

AXE 09

Smash Master
Lol. Tai is beast. He's able to beat me now.

Sorry to take away credit from him, but... he paid Taj $5 to forfeit to him lol. I don't think Tai is quite at Taj's level yet, but he'll definitely be there very soon at the rate he's improving. It's scary haha.

(make sure to read carefully the difference between TAJ and TAI)

AXE 09

Smash Master
Haha thanks guys! =D Yes, Tai playes Marth lol. Sometimes Fox, rarely Falco, but mostly Marth.

I know that I'm getting closer and closer to becoming 1 in the state with Pika. I won't let you guys down!

Also... I've taken everyone's advice, and I'm starting to try to use Fair more. Sometimes it works out very nicely, but other times it gets me into trouble. I think I just need to learn when to use it and when not to. Learning from experience here lol.

N64

Smash Champion
I'll say this axe. I've found that i most commonly use fair as an air-to-air move. The benefit it has over nair is it reaches slightly further, and can be followed up on some chars with a rising uair. I'll also use it when approaching platforms from below, as it can lead to grab or dsmash. What it doesn't have over nair is it doesn't have the knockback that you can follow up with in other ways.

Good to see you using it though : D

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
hey axe this is just me buut don't use faiir that much off the edge because it's predictable. Also I know as pichu if his fiar had like 3 more frames of stun it would be a legit pillar, fair, up-tilt, fair repaet till the knockback is to much.

so if pikachu had like 6 more frames of stun it would be a pillar on FFers only(pichu's uptilt has less knockback).

but it loses to them jabing/shining/CCing/sheilding moreso for pikachu.

great for recovering it should beat falcon's knee.

soju

SD God
=w= heya guys, i have a question?
Should I only stick with Pika and have no secondaries so I can improve on only Pika, or just keep practicing like crazy with all my characters.
I mean, my Pika's growth is going at a snail's pace compared to how good my Bowser and Kirby are getting, if this keeps up my pikachu will be left in the dust XD

But don't get me wrong my pika is still improving, just really slowly =w=

tdk_Samurai

Smash Ace
soju, definitely learn a secondary, because certain characters will teach you different things faster like marth = spacing, falcon = punishing stuff, etc. And also, if someone has your pika figured out, its nice to be able to go like puff or shiek or something.

soju

SD God
soju, definitely learn a secondary, because certain characters will teach you different things faster like marth = spacing, falcon = punishing stuff, etc. And also, if someone has your pika figured out, its nice to be able to go like puff or shiek or something.
^.^ well that would be nice if my secondaries werent all low tiers TT.TT
I dont think ill be learning anything about pikachu from Boozer and Kirby
maybe if Pika had a fortress or a Kirbycide. . . XP

do you think i should learn someone from top tier?

I wouldn't do that if I were you becuase that's how my ice climbers got really bad.
XD hmmm not the person i was looking for advice from, but you do know what your saying most of the time XP

>.< hard decisions

indigestible_wad

Smash Lord
It can help you sometimes to take a break from a character and come back later in order to get off your plateau. Other characters can teach you different things. Top teirs can teach you different things than bottom tiers can.

DJ Nintendo

Smash Champion
Using more characters (even only during friendlies) improves the skills of your main(s) and your knowledge of characters and the game overall. Especially if the other characters you use are the characters you don't do so well against using your main(s). You'll end up getting a better understand of how fighting them properly works. Besides, you never know. Those other characters you feel like using even for friendlies can end up being strong enough to use in money matches or counterpicking situations during tournament matches when your Pikachu or other main(s) aren't doing so hot. So you can end up catching your opponent by surprise, especially if they assume you only play a certain character(s).

AXE 09

Smash Master
Using more characters (even only during friendlies) improves the skills of your main(s) and your knowledge of characters and the game overall. Especially if the other characters you use are the characters you don't do so well against using your main(s). You'll end up getting a better understand of how fighting them properly works. Besides, you never know. Those other characters you feel like using even for friendlies can end up being strong enough to use in money matches or counterpicking situations during tournament matches when your Pikachu or other main(s) aren't doing so hot. So you can end up catching your opponent by surprise, especially if they assume you only play a certain character(s).
This is pretty much exactly how I feel. Playing with other characters opens your eyes to things you might've not seen before. I honestly don't play Pikachu that much in friendlies. But by playing other characters, it helps me understand how to fight against them.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
i paid taj 5 dollars to forfeit to me for two reasons:

a) the prize was 8.50 and i'd rather get 3.50 than nothing
b) i thought forward was gonna beat axe in WB and i wanted to play axe in LB

Dynamism?

Smash Champion
I need help. I don't know if anyone here would bother but I'm posting this anyway.

I've really been struggling to narrow down the characters I use in tournament, etc. (a main in general really) I simply can't decide who to play. I enjoy playing them all and have been successful in MMs and tourneys with each of them so none of that has cleared this up for me or been an issue, I just simply don't know who to stick with so even use random often.

If anyone cares about having 1 more Pika player, or wants me to stick with him if you know me or anything, please vote. :\

Any input is good but meaningless votes are completely welcome too if you don't know me/don't care but would still want me to play Pika or something. :)
I just need help. :(

Thanks. hahah
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=10468126#post10468126

Cia

das kwl
So uhh.. I broke out my pikachu in tournament this weekend. Too bad it was against Jman. <_< It took me a while to get used to Pikachu's handle, but once i got it, I felt like it was easy to ground fox and punish his wake ups.

Any tips for fighting good foxes? I'm sure this topic was covered many times over, but.. foxes are different now. =DCOLOR]

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
I have a question axe how much better would you say fox is than pikachu? like 2.8 times better or what? Because I f***ing hate it when someone says oh the only reason that pikachu is good is because of the player like there can never be someone an 1/8 as good as you or something. it's not just the player and it's not just who you pick. because if it's the player then they could go fox and **** everyone to death I mean you beat mango in money matches before with pikachu and in theory if fox is twice as good you could do twice as good.

howver the flaw is pikahcu isn't fox. your mind is set up perfect for pikachu even if you play as fox all the time it's not how you ever play.

AXE 09

Smash Master
So uhh.. I broke out my pikachu in tournament this weekend. Too bad it was against Jman. <_< It took me a while to get used to Pikachu's handle, but once i got it, I felt like it was easy to ground fox and punish his wake ups.

Any tips for fighting good foxes? I'm sure this topic was covered many times over, but.. foxes are different now. =DCOLOR]

It really depends on the style of Fox. Fighting an overly aggressive fox can be very hard. Many times, I feel like my main objective is to get a grab on the fox. From a grab, you can get some massive damage or even a gimp. The hardest part is just predicting thier movement. Most of the time, I will get my grabs with approaching with a shield, then waveshielding backwards so they whiff a shffl'd nair or dair, or whatever other move they might use. I usually try to trick the Fox into attacking, and I counterattack in some sort of way. I usually like to poke at the Fox with running Dtilts to try to get him to attack. SHFFL'd Nairs can be punished by him at low damages if he CCs it. Also, doing a running SH at him then wavelanding backwards at the last moment will usually result in the Fox missing a grab, which is also your chance to punish him for it. I've gotten Fox players with this countless amounts of times, since they like to Run away when you SH towards them, then dash back to try to punish what they think will be a whiffed shffl'd nair.

I have a question axe how much better would you say fox is than pikachu? like 2.8 times better or what? Because I f***ing hate it when someone says oh the only reason that pikachu is good is because of the player like there can never be someone an 1/8 as good as you or something. it's not just the player and it's not just who you pick. because if it's the player then they could go fox and **** everyone to death I mean you beat mango in money matches before with pikachu and in theory if fox is twice as good you could do twice as good.

howver the flaw is pikahcu isn't fox. your mind is set up perfect for pikachu even if you play as fox all the time it's not how you ever play.
I think I know what you're saying. Fox is a better character than Pikachu, but that doesn't mean that one will automatically get better results by playing Fox rather than Pikachu. Why is it that I can't just pick Fox and win? Why doesn't KaMaster just pick Marth and win every tourney? You know... the funny thing is... I actually don't know the answer lol. The only thing I have to say is that the PLAYER matters 1000x more than the character picked does.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
I meant the chartcer matters in hope to you play like my sysle oh F*** it I just tryed to spell that word 8 times and it's not working. Like I may play very defenceively in a different way like puff and that's how you win your style of how you play it won't work with any one else but puff or who ever.

I may have had an amazing point but i'm not feeling amazing for whatever reason night.

AXE 09

Smash Master
I think I see. My style just works best for Pikachu. Just like your style works best for Pichu and Ice Climbers. Doesn't it depend on the person playing the character, and not the character itself? That's a big reason why I've dug so deeply into this game. It's not like Brawl where you just pick MK and win.

AXE 09

Smash Master
So... did you guys know that Uthrow Usmash works as a true combo against Ganon? I wish I knew that when I played Linguini

N64

Smash Champion
It probably does at like 0. I usually just do uthrow fullhop dair if they don't DI (or at low percents) or uthrow fullhop fair uair then juggle comboz if they DI left/right, on ganons.

I'm not going to POE : /, the internet lies to you!

Top Bottom