• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread~[Read Before Asking a Question]

asianaussie

Smash Hero
It's not too hard on the spot. Moving forward with it is the hard part.

Also, the aerials with no landing lag are Ness's U-Air + D-Air and Pika's U-Air, IIRC. Jiggs' D-Air has minimal landing lag, so the Z-cancel can be missed in favour of the small extra hitstun provided by the landing...I think. Not too good with ness.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
Well... there is one use for not z-cancelling aerials... it lets you get one more hit. Though in most cases, that extra hit is not worth the landing lag (puff's dair being an exception since she has little landing lag to the opponent's extra lag). Though if you wanted to be extra technical, that extra hit of landing lag could be the difference in a shield breaker of only Dair... ;)

SSBPete

Smash Lord
kk thanks guys. its just when i shield breaker with ness i never z-cancle and it still works so i just thought i was getting the timing wrong with yoshi.

RPGsFTW

Smash Ace
Anyone else play Smash 64 as a VC wad on their Wii? It's fun using a GameCube controller, however it sucks not having a C-stick to do aerials. C-stick ****in jumps. /rage

Anyone? It's almost like having it on the console, or it seems to be the closest thing, if not the same, with a different controller. =P

Grahf

Smash Apprentice
I can't play this game online for a while now since I've been broke AND credit cardless to buy myself a super joy 13 gamecube usb adapter controller off the interwebz for a good while now....I'm wondering how reliable is practicing true combos on NPCs in training mode for when I get out there and play people online for the first time when I get a usb controller? Since I can practice this on my Wii with a gamecube controller and wad manager goodness.

So my question is how useful is practicing true combo strings on NPCs set to "Stand" in training mode? Is it as useless as practicing in Bawrl or semi-useless like practicing in Melee will generally DI break your combos if they're good? Where is practicing in Training mode on the continuum of how much it'll help me when I get a usb adapter and able to play real opponents?

Skrlx

Smash Champion
I can't play this game online for a while now since I've been broke AND credit cardless to buy myself a super joy 13 gamecube usb adapter controller off the interwebz for a good while now....I'm wondering how reliable is practicing true combos on NPCs in training mode for when I get out there and play people online for the first time when I get a usb controller? Since I can practice this on my Wii with a gamecube controller and wad manager goodness.

So my question is how useful is practicing true combo strings on NPCs set to "Stand" in training mode? Is it as useless as practicing in Bawrl or semi-useless like practicing in Melee will generally DI break your combos if they're good? Where is practicing in Training mode on the continuum of how much it'll help me when I get a usb adapter and able to play real opponents?
If you play Melee or Brawl and wanting to play SSB64 don't use a GC controller. It'll **** up your memory muscle. Invest money on a N64 controller adapter

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
Anyone else play Smash 64 as a VC wad on their Wii? It's fun using a GameCube controller, however it sucks not having a C-stick to do aerials. C-stick ****in jumps. /rage

Anyone? It's almost like having it on the console, or it seems to be the closest thing, if not the same, with a different controller. =P
The gamecube controller is horrible for SSB64. It doesn't feel like the actual console at all.

Grahf

Smash Apprentice
I'll look into getting a different controller...that makes really good sense.

What about the combo question about training mode?

RPGsFTW

Smash Ace
The gamecube controller is horrible for SSB64. It doesn't feel like the actual console at all.
Well it must be for you, I guess, but I like it. The only thing I don't like about it is that you can't use the c-stick for aerials, but that's understandable because I don't know if anything could be set for aerials like that.

I'm also not really affected when switching from Brawl+ to 64, because I play them so often. Should sort of be the same with switching to any amount of multiple fighting games at one time.

MattNF

Smash Lord
I have both an N64 and GC adapter, and I agree that N64 is better

Only downside to N64 controllers are the bad analog sticks.

TANK64

Smash Lord
I'll look into getting a different controller...that makes really good sense.

What about the combo question about training mode?
training mode practice is good, especially if you don't know what works at certain percent. Take you character/characters into training mode, and mess around with that. you might as well know what's in hit stun or not. Yes, people are probably going to DI out of lots of your "legit" combos, but they sure as hell are going to DI/break out of your non-legit combos. So yes, training mode in this game matters a lot more than in Melee. Also- 64 controller is the best.
........Oh, and fighting real people really helps too :chuckle::chuckle::chuckle::chuckle:

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
Am I not looking hard enough or is it impossible to turn items off?

I got Smash 64 for VC a while ago cause it came out here and I'd never really got chance to play it before but I think I've checked everywhere and I can't find an option that lets you turn items off or even turn specific items off

Am I a frooby nooby and completely missing out on something?

-Axis-

Smash Journeyman
What keyboard configuration do most people use when they don't have a controller?

In other words, id like some suggestions.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
lol...I use the default PJ64k one with spacebar as C-button for short hops.

I suggest you experiment, many people prefer control stick buttons on their left.

D

Deleted member

when i used to kb i used all defaults with left c-button on caps lock

Grahf

Smash Apprentice
Why would you post that garbage on 64 forum Q&A thread? Had to 1-Star bomb it for video-whoreisms.

kuenzel

Smash Ace
kuenzel washington
No way. NO WAY! ITS YOU??
Dude, its been like 3 years since that kaillera game....

anywho, I think I found the server you guys are all at (Galaxy 64), but my controller wont work if I join someone else's game. It still works offline and in my own hosted game though...

Using N-Rage's Direct Input8 V2 1.83

Edit: I switched to Jabo's and its working now but is there any explanation to the problem with N-Rage's?

House

Smash Journeyman
No way. NO WAY! ITS YOU??
Dude, its been like 3 years since that kaillera game....

anywho, I think I found the server you guys are all at (Galaxy 64), but my controller wont work if I join someone else's game. It still works offline and in my own hosted game though...

Using N-Rage's Direct Input8 V2 1.83

Edit: I switched to Jabo's and its working now but is there any explanation to the problem with N-Rage's?
You and the other player need to untick the "Raw data" option at controller settings.

Gammelnorsk

Smash Ace
what are u talking about lol

ive only played since like march

i just thot ur name looked like dat

dch111

Smash Journeyman
Situation:

Falcon v. Falcon
Mushroom Kingdom

Enemy Falcon is positioned on the right side past the warp pipe, perfect for a dashgrab should you try to land anywhere past the pipe. But he is also far enough that you can't hit him with a low air attack or kick without getting shieldgrabbed.

What do you do?

I've tried baiting by canceling an aerial next to the pipe then doing something like Usmash or tilts when the other Falcon comes in but it's never fast enough...the positioning is good enough to ensure the dashgrab no matter what I do. Should I just wait on the other side, and neither of us act? Then again, that would almost be like implying the optimal play is just to camp somewhere, and smash is solved to be very boring. There's just no way to approach though...and I'd rather not die from a single Bthrow at 0%.

Dajayman

Banned via Administration
How the hell do you shdl with Fox? I haven't been able to get it once in normal speed, not even in 2/3 speed. Any tips on doing it? It's driving me insane.

For now I suppose I'll settle for shsl's...

ballin4life

Smash Hero
How the hell do you shdl with Fox? I haven't been able to get it once in normal speed, not even in 2/3 speed. Any tips on doing it? It's driving me insane.

For now I suppose I'll settle for shsl's...
The important part is getting the first laser to come out as soon as possible so slide your thumb from left c to b

dch111

Smash Journeyman
Use an aerial, abuse shield hitstun and grab him.
Forgot to mention, in this case he doesn't shield, he moves out of the way then dashgrabs. As soon as I Z-cancel, I get grabbed.

Don't play on Mushroom Kingdom with people who are actually desperate to win
I would, but they'd just accuse me of being unfun.

falcon kick
In this case he shields, and just shieldgrabs me, one of the couple advanced techniques he knows.

...maybe I should just dashdance on the left side of the pipe and not approach, and try to show that is his strategy, and is what's really unfun.

Top Bottom