• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread~[Read Before Asking a Question]

dch111

Smash Journeyman
I see. I was just curious if auto-canceling was a truly general term, or if you might as well call it "DK Uair-canceling" in all practicality.

RPGsFTW

Smash Ace
If I were to play this online could I use a C-stick that does attacks, rather than jumps? Otherwise, I find it very hard to Uair close to the ground without accidentally jumping when pushing Up+A.

???

Also, about Smash 64 textures. How often are they used, and how are they applied if I wanted to use them?

asianaussie

Smash Hero
On the subject of textures, they're basically never used online. This is because the loading and application takes a lot of time, and (from what I've done) it seems to promote desynches. I've never actually gotten into the playing part when I try textures online (even if my opponent has the same textures). However, don't quote me on this.

Offline is a different story. You need a texture pack and specific plugins, then some option tweaking. This is the way I got it running:

You need Project64 1.6, a downloaded texture pack, The SSB64 ROM, Mudlord's Rice Video Plugin Build and BMG.dll, which is downloadable through Google (I found it there).

Your Project64 folder should have several folders in it, including one called Plugin. Extract Mudlord's Rice Video Plugin into that folder. Now create a folder called 'hires_texture' in that same folder. Extract your Texture Pack (it should be a folder called "SMASH BROTHERS", if it isn't start again) into hires_texture.

Finally,put BMG.dll into your main PJ64 folder (the one with the execution file). Now enter Project 64. Go into Options > Settings, and change the Video (graphics) plugin into Mudlord's Rice Video Build. Press OK. Go into Options > Configure Graphics Plugin. Select the Texture Filter tab, then tick the box marked:
[] Load high detail textures if available

Once you've done this, click OK again and run SSB64. If done right, a black screen with a white loading message should appear, and filenames should speed across the screen.

lad3391

Smash Rookie
hello, ive been playing ssb64 forever, but i never really got THAT good because none of my friends could consistantly beat me. If i had to rate myself according to some list i found here I would say a solid 4, poss 5a, but i doubt it. Im looking to start playing online. I believe i have ssb64 set up correctly thru p64k, but i cant connect to the server listed in the online play guide. What server has fairly consistent people playing?

Also, on a side note, Im on a mac running p64k thru vmfusion on XP, Im using a sumoto usb->n64 connector. Ive heard that I could use mupen64k on my mac, but i havent found a current downloadable version anywhere, it seems that the project is on hold?

any help would be great, i love ssb64

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
hello, ive been playing ssb64 forever, but i never really got THAT good because none of my friends could consistantly beat me. If i had to rate myself according to some list i found here I would say a solid 4, poss 5a, but i doubt it. Im looking to start playing online. I believe i have ssb64 set up correctly thru p64k, but i cant connect to the server listed in the online play guide. What server has fairly consistent people playing?

Also, on a side note, Im on a mac running p64k thru vmfusion on XP, Im using a sumoto usb->n64 connector. Ive heard that I could use mupen64k on my mac, but i havent found a current downloadable version anywhere, it seems that the project is on hold?

any help would be great, i love ssb64
Galaxy 64 is probably the best server unless your European. Also, I personally recommend Project 64k much more than Mupen 64k, simply because much more people use Project. See the sticky for the I.P.

Also, look up Kailera P2P, this is a lag-free version of Kailera.

RPGsFTW

Smash Ace
If I were to play this online could I use a C-stick that does attacks, rather than jumps? Otherwise, I find it very hard to Uair close to the ground without accidentally jumping when pushing Up+A.

^Answer please. Also, what is the easiest way to shield grab? I play Smash 64 as VC game on my Wii, lol wads, and shield grabbing is either very hard to do, or it doesn't work.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Hold z and press A. That's it.

There's a ton of stun though when someone hits your shield so it's not as good of a technique (often they can grab you before you can shield grab them).

Mahie

Smash Lord
^Answer please. Also, what is the easiest way to shield grab? I play Smash 64 as VC game on my Wii, lol wads, and shield grabbing is either very hard to do, or it doesn't work.
Shieldgrabbing : Shield => Press A.
As for Cstick for smash attacks/aerials as in Melee, I don't think it's impossible to do but... I don't actually know.

Edit : ballin4life was faster.

lad3391

Smash Rookie
im from california, US. I had another small problem, when i try to play ssb64 via emulator, and i try to select a character, its really hard because the selection hand disappears, i can still choose them, its just really difficult. is this a known issue? or is there a fix or am i just dumb haha

lad3391

Smash Rookie
is there a list of online etiquette? like i want to be as little of a nuisance as possible once i get online lol.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
is there a list of online etiquette? like i want to be as little of a nuisance as possible once i get online lol.
1. Ignore the trolls
2. Have less than 100 ping or you won't find a match
3. Have no la
4. Be kind to the members who have been on for a very long time (the veterans)
5. Chat when not playing, don't spam.
6. Don't main kirby....

Mahie

Smash Lord
1. Ignore the trolls
3. Have no la
4. Be kind to the members who have been on for a very long time (the veterans) Everybody
5. Chat when not playing, don't spam.
6. Don't main kirby....
I fixed it :p

NixxxoN

Smash Master
Sorry but this is stupid.
Its pointless to not play people just because their ping is 100 or higher.
THEY have the delay, not you.
Just because someone has a high ping doesnt mean they have to lag. They are different things

SmashThugZ

Smash Journeyman
Yes, that's just pingism.
Stop hating on us people with 109 pings.
I don't lag, I just endure the delay set upon me.
If I did lag, I wouldn't burden anyone with it and just quit playing altogether.

On a real topic:
Can anyone confirm if playing with LAN connection reduce/get rid of delay?
I could swear the few times I tried it, I felt no delay at all, and it also made the game feel like turbo,
like playing Super Street Fighter II TURBO!

NixxxoN

Smash Master
Can anyone confirm if playing with LAN connection reduce/get rid of delay?
I could swear the few times I tried it, I felt no delay at all, and it also made the game feel like turbo,
like playing Super Street Fighter II TURBO!
The kaillera client tells you the delay each time you start a match. LAN connection usually reduces the delay by 1/2 frames depending of your ping. In my case, i have a 140 ping on Galaxy 64 (Former EGX) and i get 9 frames on LAN and 11 on Excellent.

SmashThugZ

Smash Journeyman
So that could mean Im getting like 9 frames on Excellent, and 7 frames on LAN.
I guess the switch from 9 to 7 is too good. Haha.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
Yeah 2 frames always make a lot of difference. I think you have more change to DS with LAN though, but I think its worth the risk.

SmashThugZ

Smash Journeyman
I know lower frames is good, but I can't get that since I play in the East coast server, where everyone else is.
it's either that or go to some random West coast server and host and wait for who knows how long for someone to join.

Besides, 9 frames can be terrible, but it's not unplayable. At least it's enough for me to still win :)

Daedatheus

Smash Lord
I know lower frames is good, but I can't get that since I play in the East coast server, where everyone else is.
it's either that or go to some random West coast server and host and wait for who knows how long for someone to join.

Besides, 9 frames can be terrible, but it's not unplayable. At least it's enough for me to still win :)
Use P2P! Much less lag, much better games. 9 frames is pretty high man... I can't imagine trying to play Fox decently on 9 frames.

But yeah use P2P, it's worth any effort required.

SmashThugZ

Smash Journeyman
I just like to play some quick games.
And like I said, I don't play to my full game, but it's still enough.
Playing on p2p would require too much interaction and time.

D

Deleted member

no it doesnt

you just put the ip in and join and click start to play

NixxxoN

Smash Master
But servers are still very good in their own way. I understand him. Im usually tired of always playing the same people so i go to servers to search for random players

dch111

Smash Journeyman
I have a question about the kinds of DI in SSB64, if anyone would care to enlighten:

is the "slide DI" in ant-d's thread the same as the "quarter-circle" DI mentioned in the Smashwiki?

and what is "x2 DI" in relation to that (youtube vids mention it as a somewhat newly discovered technique that allows twice as much DI as before. In ant-d's thread, he mentions slide DI getting twice as many DI frames as smash DI. the concepts sound related)?

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
I would guess slide DI is the same as "quarter-circle" DI, since it's essencially the same.

As for the "x2 DI", he was mainly saying it in terms of tool-assisted DI. If you go frame by frame of the best DI to the right with smash DI, it's "Right on 1", "Centre on 2", Right on 3", "Centre on 4", etc. As you can see, every second frame, he goes right, with the other frame doing nothing. If you go frame by frame of the best DI to the right with slide DI, it's "Up-Right on 1", "Down-Right on 2", "Up-Right on 3", "Down-Right on 4", etc. Now, in each frame, there is movement to the right, as opposed to every second frame with smash DI. This is where the x2 DI comes from.

Though one thing I don't know since I don't do TAS videos is if slide DI goes double the distance as smash DI. If you look at it from a mathematical point of view, going "Up-Right" to "Down-Right" makes you go diagonally. If every frame you DI makes you go a constant distance, then slide DI would make you go (squareroot of 2) times farther as smash DI. This is not important to know unless you do TAS videos.

House

Smash Journeyman
I would guess slide DI is the same as "quarter-circle" DI, since it's essencially the same.

As for the "x2 DI", he was mainly saying it in terms of tool-assisted DI. If you go frame by frame of the best DI to the right with smash DI, it's "Right on 1", "Centre on 2", Right on 3", "Centre on 4", etc. As you can see, every second frame, he goes right, with the other frame doing nothing. If you go frame by frame of the best DI to the right with slide DI, it's "Up-Right on 1", "Down-Right on 2", "Up-Right on 3", "Down-Right on 4", etc. Now, in each frame, there is movement to the right, as opposed to every second frame with smash DI. This is where the x2 DI comes from.

Though one thing I don't know since I don't do TAS videos is if slide DI goes double the distance as smash DI. If you look at it from a mathematical point of view, going "Up-Right" to "Down-Right" makes you go diagonally. If every frame you DI makes you go a constant distance, then slide DI would make you go (squareroot of 2) times farther as smash DI. This is not important to know unless you do TAS videos.
Quarter Circle DI = x2 DI

It is essentially called Quarter-Circle DI due to the way it's executed (you repeatedly do quarter circles with the analog stick, as mentioned at the end of the second paragraph):

it's "Up-Right on 1", "Down-Right on 2", "Up-Right on 3", "Down-Right on 4", etc.
In a "frame perfect" world, this would be the most effective way of DIing at smash 64, as no frames are being wasted.

SSBPete

Smash Lord
random question -
when playing yoshi the only way i can shield break is by djcing a full dair or a full dair when their on a platform. do you have to z-cancle when doing a shield breaker combo such as fair fair fair usmash?

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Of course you do...otherwise you can just grab Yoshi, jump away, or even roll away. You always Z-cancel so you can make full use of shieldstun. More or less every single aerial should be Z-cancelled, because (except in a few cases, eg. Jiggs' D-Air) there is no reason not to do so.

I'd use N-Air in place of F-Air myself if I ever tried to shield-break with Yoshi...but I can't quite get it unless I play console or keyboard P2P...

Top Bottom