• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread~[Read Before Asking a Question]

dch111

Smash Journeyman
From what I've read, this tier list is more or less meant for players that are around the "5c" level.

So that would need to be noted on the smashwiki. In all seriousness, the tier list that's already on there is wayyy more accurate for probably 95% of SSB players.
It wouldn't need to be noted. The point of the page is that it's not meant to be reflective of 95% of ssb players, but rather of high level play.* That's why the current one is such a problem. It's misleading.

With no teching or di, Dair chains are completely broken at lower levels.
Then again, they wouldn't know djc. Falcon would be the superior stomper

http://super-smash-bros.wikia.com/wiki/Tier_list said:
This list is cited from a GameFAQs post and generally reflects the sentiments of top-level Super Smash Bros. players.

DMoogle

A$
It wouldn't need to be noted. The point of the page is that it's not meant to be reflective of 95% of ssb players, but rather of high level play.* That's why the current one is such a problem. It's misleading.
OK but someone else said that it's not supposed to reflect the highest level of play either?

dch111

Smash Journeyman
Is there a list somewhere of the current normal btt and btp records? n64 high scores seems dated

Mixtizo

Smash Rookie
help

can someonr give me a link to the best super smash bros. emulator cause i keep getting and error message when i try to double click the game when the window pops up, i have to go to file>open ROM> then click on the game for it to work.

can anyone help me?

DMoogle

A$
Has anyone compiled a list of the frames it takes for each character to jump? How about grab?

I swear that some characters take longer to leave the ground and grab (even excluding the ranged grabbers) than others.

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
Has anyone compiled a list of the frames it takes for each character to jump? How about grab?

I swear that some characters take longer to leave the ground and grab (even excluding the ranged grabbers) than others.
I believe ant-D said that all nongrapple grabs take 6 frames for the hitbox to come out, and that link and samus each take 17 and 27 frames respectively or somewhere around that.

For the jumps? There's definitely a difference. Usually if they're harder to shorthop with, it means they jump quicker.

Gea

Smash Master
Well you have an emulator, right? Shouldn't take more than half an hour tops to get frame data for jumps/grabs.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Link definitely takes longer to jump than captain falcon because I can button slide from jump to aerial with falcon but it doesn't work with Link because I'm pressing A before he actually leaves the ground.

Daedatheus

Smash Lord
Every character has a jump animation, some shorter than others. For me Link's is the most noticeably longer one, if you aren't careful or in laggy online games, you might end up doing a jump-canceled upsmash instead of a shorthop uair, for one example.

DMoogle

A$
OK so I just found out that that the vertical of Mario's and Luigi's up-b can be altered. It seems like if you HOLD right/left after you up-b, you'll go much more diagonally, and if you don't hold anything or press up/down, you'll go almost straight up vertically.

Am I correct? Does anyone have any other information about it?

Smeagol

Smash Rookie
I know this is a stupid question but I just got an xbox 360 controller and I want to know what controller plugin and what settings (deadzone, treshold, analog stick range) should I use in P64? Whats settings do you use?
With the default settings on both plugins it's kinda hard to tilt :urg:

DMoogle

A$
you didn't know that?
I ALWAYS suspected it, but I never read it anywhere and never tested it myself until the other day.

There's still a ton of stuff about this game I don't know, learning something new every day. Just learned that Jigglypuff's d-air has a slight knockback without any landing lag if you don't z-cancel which is perfect for setting up u-smash finishes.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
I know this is a stupid question but I just got an xbox 360 controller and I want to know what controller plugin and what settings (deadzone, treshold, analog stick range) should I use in P64? Whats settings do you use?
With the default settings on both plugins it's kinda hard to tilt :urg:
most people set the deadzole at a level they find comfortable. Find a setting you like.

Skrlx

Smash Champion
Regarding the locked ultimate cancel code thread we should create a "ssb64 gameshark code/glitch index" thread. In this thread all known codes and glitches for ssb64 are listed

Tambor

Smash Journeyman
OK so I just found out that that the vertical of Mario's and Luigi's up-b can be altered. It seems like if you HOLD right/left after you up-b, you'll go much more diagonally, and if you don't hold anything or press up/down, you'll go almost straight up vertically.

Am I correct? Does anyone have any other information about it?
You are correct, but there's a third kind of Up+B. Press the opposite direction at the beginning of the jump to move even more in the vertical direction and even less horizontally. The timing is quite tricky because if you hold the opposite direction too long Mario/Luigi turn around and do the Up+B to the other side. You have four frames after the Up+B starts to do it which is quite possible for a human.
If done correctly you can jump from the floor to the second floor of the building in Hyrule Castle, which you can't when you only press Up/Down or nothing. (This is good to practice and feel the difference betweeen the jumps.)

I once recorded the vertical difference between all three kind of jumps for a friend, which he then uploaded on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oUs91xjRIU

dch111

Smash Journeyman
The video says it's old...but I've never heard of it o_O These tech lists really need to be updated.

I swear there must be like ten different extended things I've found out about kept semi-hidden

asianaussie

Smash Hero
You are correct, but there's a third kind of Up+B. Press the opposite direction at the beginning of the jump to move even more in the vertical direction and even less horizontally. [/url]
I pull this off unwittingly with Luigi's Up-B when I use it as a finisher.

I can never, ever get it when I try.

dch111

Smash Journeyman
The Smash Wiki has some information that you won't find in the FAQs and techniques list.
True, but it's not really that helpful
http://super-smash-bros.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Techniques_(SSB)
and definitely doesn't have info on something as advanced as what Tambor mentioned.

The stuff I've found through these boards (not just wenbobular's outdated list) is much more comprehensive. Not only that but smash wiki sometimes gives the wrong information (see "ceiling tech") and in many definitions mixes things you can do in melee with things you can do in SSB (I can only imagine how frustrated people who learn just using smash wiki become when they try to follow the instructions for SHHFLing here: http://super-smash-bros.wikia.com/wiki/Short_hop_fast_fall_l-cancel) ;))

Oh, I knew about adjusting mario and luigi's upB by aiming the control stick in respective ways...that's old, even for me. But in all my time poring over these boards, youtube, gamefaqs, and even archived versions of defunct sites, I've never seen their cool special extended vertical upB. The smash index doesn't get you to the really good stuff (essentially it just leads you to Isai videos and antdgar's TAS videos, perhaps ironically since the learning smasher won't be able to imitate either).

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
SmashWiki said:
Short Hop Fast Fall Lag-Cancel, commonly abbreviated as "SHFFL" (pronounced like the word "shuffle"), is a combination of advanced techniques that, for most characters, results in the quickest and least laggy way to jump and perform an aerial from the ground in Super Smash Bros. and Super Smash Bros. Melee.
SmashWiki said:
Outside of Melee

SHFFLing is impossible in the original Smash Bros (64). You cannot fast fall during your initial short hop, so this technique has little to no use. Short hop aerials (without fast fall) are generally favoured.
lol at how SmashWiki contradicts itself :p

ssbkid~

Smash Apprentice
Can anyone help me find a specific gameshark code?
I'm looking for a code that makes a stage in the stage select screen load up battlefield and mario's metal stage.
Help would be much appreciated.

dch111

Smash Journeyman
Just wondering...is the reason why you can do Usmash and UpB out of shield because you're buffering them? (Jump-canceling the shield, then converting it to an attack before the pre-jump animation is over). It may also explain why you can do Usmash and UpB in the middle of a dash, and why it's only up-attacks that get this privilege.

dch111

Smash Journeyman
Does anything else auto-cancel besides DK's Uair on the lowest Hyrule platform?

Nybb

Smash Journeyman
Does anything else auto-cancel besides DK's Uair on the lowest Hyrule platform?
You can also do it on Peach's castle in the middle and on both of the lower platforms on Dreamland.

Edit: Whoa, I totally misread your question. I don't think any other characters autocancel as perfectly as DK, although I'm not positive.

Top Bottom