• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ashunera’s Library - General Discussion, Q&A and Index

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
yea thats important yagami which is why im forcing myself to go to YI brawl more and lylat over smashville/final d

have you tried halberd as a cp? i think ike might do better there

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Light, try to experiment on Brinstar. It's a solid stage for Ike. Also, if you know your opponent doesn't use GnW, MK, or any other floaty character, try RC.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
you should at the very least, have a full, solid and comprehensive knowledge of all the nuetral stages, including PS1 and lylat.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Even if you do well on all stages, I still recommend visiting each one alone, refreshing how you're familiar with the level, so that you can freely move around the level and can get around each one's irregularities.

You do well on Battlefield because Ike is just good there, btw.

There are many things you don't notice in a stage when playing someone.
Conversely, there are also things that remain unnoticed until you reach a certain point during a match.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
^^^ like when you spawn in at Smash ville and paying attention as to where the platform is going during the count down

The think one of the things people generally dont know or notice about the stages they play on is 1. the geometry on the ledges[battlefield...] and 2. the length of the stage

ever tried breaking that organic stuff at Brinstar just to flip the platforms up? see if it changes the pace of the match

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I know Burrito and I are going, no clue about others =/

About stages, I really just look at each one and just move around the stage, so I don't mess up in an actual match (or not as much), especially since I like to QD to platforms a lot, and lots of platforms are different.

I believe this game is very stage-oriented; the more familiar with the nuances of the stage you are, you can move around it better and control the stage easier and capitalize on mistakes/know what kinds of mistakes players tend to make on a weird stage.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
one of the ways they created the characters in Brawl was by using a tech called mirroring that allowed them to build one half of the model, flip it sew the polys together.

Stages can be built in the same fashion to help ensure consistency and flatness[this is important for some ATs to work!!]. However some stages arent exactly flat, lylat, yoshis island brawl for examples. Thing is about Lylat is you should play the stage for however long the stage cycles between tilting and count the times the ship moves from galaxy 1 - 2 and how many times it tilts screen left or screen right. Lylat is never really flat only for a few 30-40 seconds mid center and welp the sides slant off. Those slants do interrupt DDDs CG and possibly other characters CG

Ryo_Guikido

Smash Ace
as for me and my ike I love to take my opponents to BF or PS1just better for me for set ups and BF is the stage that I say best suits Ike for mobility and is good for getting kills for the platforms for up smash and other smash moves.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
someone said that the ledges at battlefield were not totally identical geometry wise. You cant simply count on your eye sight to totally determine whether or not what you think is there truely exists. Your better off looking at it in wire frame mode. Or simply experimenting with the stages and their ledges.

Slaps

Smash Lord
NNID
iSlaps
I just hate when people wifi so much that they think they're REALLY good, because they can beat their circle of friends.
Amen to that brotha. I hate playing wifi scrubs, most of them are on AiB, the horrible players that have lag on their side -_-. MKs that ONLY Dsmash and nado, that is 100% not exaggeration he only used those moves and won in lag. Falcos that only laser, illusion, and Cstick to kill with a massive amount of lag. Falco always seems like a laggy MU anyway and wifi makes it soooo much harder/worse lol. Sure i guess say I am johning but i know these players get ***** offline.

FrznSaber

Smash Journeyman
Goin' home in a few hours for spring break, and I figured that I should give wi-phail a shot, saying this to play some games vs some of you to get an idea of where I stand.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
Amen to that brotha. I hate playing wifi scrubs, most of them are on AiB, the horrible players that have lag on their side -_-. MKs that ONLY Dsmash and nado, that is 100% not exaggeration he only used those moves and won in lag. Falcos that only laser, illusion, and Cstick to kill with a massive amount of lag. Falco always seems like a laggy MU anyway and wifi makes it soooo much harder/worse lol. Sure i guess say I am johning but i know these players get ***** offline.
this is why i dont do the ladder and why i only fight people that i know and/or are serious about getting better lol

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
Lag is too much of a turn off for me. I spent alot of money getting a good router and maintaining it only to lag against some scrub. Its frustrating and i'd rather not deal with it.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Wifail is fine to do as long as you don't pick up stupid habits ie: rolling & Dodging too much and excessive use of fsmash, usmash and ftilt. Oh and getting enraged and too aggressive because some scrub is exploiting wifi on you

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
^^^^ yes but at some point you have to make the transition to offline. Online can only take your meta game so far and lag is too much of a random factor. I miss techs and Chain grabbing all the time ffffffffffffff

you'd be surprised how much better this router is working compared to the older one we had. Plus unlike people here, i got a job.

FrznSaber

Smash Journeyman
But for someone such as myself with my limited transportation, it is best to play at least someone who has an idea of what they're doing rather than playing casual players at a local university. By playing them, I developed more bad habits than I thought humanly possible.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
wifi is good for you.

stop wifi johning and get better.

if the mk only does down smash and nado just fair the mess out of him.

if you cant jump fast enough due to the lag, learn to adapt and jump earlier.

If you cant adapt, you are a bad player.

losing to bad players is never ok, and if you cant beat such simple one dimension tactics. than you need to re-evaluate your own skill level.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
@ KID: Harsh but true. There are certain wifi tactics that are much more effective online than offline, though.

I avoid playing people worse than green connection anyways *shrug* because I'm just not very good in lag.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
You know MK is repeating his D-smash and Nado. You know it's coming, but it's the timing on wifi that makes it difficult. Different opponents have different lag which require different timing. On top of that, I could easily spot dodge or shield a D-smash and respond with a jab, only for the jab to be delayed by my subconscious offline timing, and the MK to D-smash me again. Super frustrating.

benaji261!

Smash Ace
Lag's ******** and you end up losing to people you shouldn't lose to, which makes you all the more frustrated. You're adaptation only goes as far as what's bearable. I'm starting to do what San mentioned, playing people with green or blue connection, and some yellow.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
@ KID: Harsh but true. There are certain wifi tactics that are much more effective online than offline, though.

I avoid playing people worse than green connection anyways *shrug* because I'm just not very good in lag.
ike cant afford to be in lag

You know MK is repeating his D-smash and Nado. You know it's coming, but it's the timing on wifi that makes it difficult. Different opponents have different lag which require different timing.
basically what bored said about timing, this is why i spent money to get a new router. It has made my life alot easier. Im not saying it will for everyone else. I know im on a good cable provider, that i pay for every month, and ive personally re constructed my home wireless network for the sake of not having laggy matches. As far as i can tell it has paid off

theeboredone

Smash Legend
There's a huge argument from other players that Ike does well in wifi. I don't think that's the case. Yes he has powerful moves that suck to get hit by, but people fail to think about the timing required to hit those moves + the after lag each attack gives.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
LOL i've heard people say DDD does well on Wifi. Not true when Falco, MK and Snake can abuse lag so much better.

VVVVV they've never seen his pikmin toss nor played one on weegees crib in lag lol

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I've heard people say olimar is bad on wifi.

But really..Only Ike's fair is better on wifi. Jab may also be better.

All of his other moves are worse, cause it requires too much timing/strict spacing.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
any character with powerful slow moves or simple low lag moves excel in lag.

ike and ddd are very good on wifi, because you can f smash people and lag will make them walk into it.
wolf and game and watch are good on wifi because its really hardd to punish their smashes.

some of you kids I can tell are just bad on wifi, because you try to play the game the same way you do offline, with really precise techs and strict spacing, and than when it (obviously) doesnt work, you get mad.

Its like I said just adapt.

and like san said play people with good connections.

for the record, playing with the 2 types of lag are different.
frame lag, where the game slows down randomly is straight up unplayable so dont bother with it.
latency where the game runs normally and just takes time to read your inputs is fine. because you should be able to just do stuff earlier.

Also, wifi doubles is amazing. True story.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
any character with powerful slow moves...excel in lag.
Incorrect.

Slow moves = worse in wifi. It's even harder to time to moves correctly, and particularly in Ike's case the extra bit of time it will take others to dodge his moves isn't enough. It's a bigger loss then gain. Throw in the fact you are going to have an even bigger headache landing Bthrow -> Dash Attack, your recovery is going to be that much harder to aim perfectly to avoid having aether gimped, and your jab cancels are less likely to land: Ike is terrible on wifi. Anyone who says he's better in wifi needs to stop crying and realize we're worse off then you most likely.

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
C-C-C-Combo Breaker.

I want to know if any of you know of some Ike main from the east coast by the name Watkins. He supposedly visited someone I know in Kansas, and that somebody informed me. Do you guys know of any Ike main by the name Watkins?

Slaps

Smash Lord
NNID
iSlaps
but i don't use wifi much for actual getting better... I mean i use it to get better but more in a mental sence. Seeing how characters are played no matter how gay lol, matchups, reading, etc. Only since i can only stay local and don't go out of town much...

theeboredone

Smash Legend
C-C-C-Combo Breaker.

I want to know if any of you know of some Ike main from the east coast by the name Watkins. He supposedly visited someone I know in Kansas, and that somebody informed me. Do you guys know of any Ike main by the name Watkins?
Ryko has mentioned him quite a bit. Says he's good. Don't know what he's up to now.

metroid1117

Smash Master
The timing for things like BThrow -> dash attack and jab canceling on lag-fi is the same, it's just that it happens later than you expect it to.

Personally, I with San in that FAir is so good on Wi-fi. Because the slight nuances in spacing that players use to avoid it offline cannot be applied online if the lag is severe enough, FAir is a much better as an approach and as a wall online than offline, particularly if you buffer a jab or shield immediately after you land. His recovery, however, suffers because you can't position it as accurately as you'd like to, as Niddo pointed out.

-RedX-

Smash Lord
C-C-C-Combo Breaker.

I know that he goes to tournies in the New England region mostly but I think he dropped Ike some time ago and went on to Marth.

Also, I've actually been shieldpoked by Ike's Fair a few times on wifi >.>

I just noticed....WHERE THE **** IS MY AVATAR??111?!1ONE
I see lots of avatars around here that disappeared lol

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
Okay, I was about to say if I were the only one who noticed... Just re-upload your avatar and then it will appear again.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
I've been paying more and more attention to stages recently thanks to the advice you guys gave and I think I'm better off for it. I've also been getting out of my "comfort" zone and avoiding BF in favor of other neutrals. Also Bored, I'm really liking Brinstar, so thanks a lot for that advice.

As for Ike on WiFi, it's really a mixed bag. FAir, as pointed out, becomes suddenly a viable poke move at even non-perfect spacing ranges. I would argue that Ike's Dash Attack is equally buffed because the starting frames are hard to see OFFLINE, much less reactable to online. Everything else about him is worse, pretty much. Recovery is much harder to perfectly execute, jab cancels and throw combos are distorted by lag, moves that rely on the opponent's action to hit (see: Smashes, Quick Draw, Eruption) are effectively pointless to use. People saying that Ike is top tier or something on WiFi has got to be the ultimate john in existence. The actual best characters on WiFi are probably Fox and Mr. Game and Watch. This is because the entirety of Fox's moveset is pretty much in the "barely blockable" category offline and even the tiniest bit of lag will make the moves hit. Plus it's pretty difficult to powershield Fox's lasers online. Mr. Game and Watch is just ridiculously safe on WiFi, enough said.

Also RedX the custom avatars vanished, as said in the site announcement forum. If you reupload them they should be back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom