• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Arkansas Smashers Chat

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
March Hare: blah I've had 4 people ask me about teaming now. at first i was teaming w/ Plup but now I dunno since he switched to Hungrybox. you got any vids of you playing in teams?
And so Strongbad became the accepted spelling that day.
goddammit

The March Hare

Smash Cadet

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
March Hare: sorry I'm teaming with Ripple, he asked me yesterday too. Can't turn down double DK
wtf your a brawl backroom member? didn't know you played brawl lol
no, that's just my custom title. I'm only MBR

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=13856457&postcount=13267

Good post on shield pressure. It's kinda long, but he talks about pressure in terms of what the opponent can do in each situation, so you'd probably gain a better understanding of how to deal with spacies if you read it. A lot of people really don't see their shield pressure as being punishable unless they mess up, which is super unfortunate for the mid-level metagame and a big part of the reason Christmas comes every day for Fox and Falco. Like everything else, it's all just a big mixup (meaning the person getting pressured has plenty of options - not just roll at what seems like a good time).

I like that he mentioned the difference between fox and falco pressure. Their different short hops and shines really do change things, although fox's smaller short hop does lend itself to psychological gains. They're still similar in a lot of ways though, and that isn't often understood or taken advantage of either. Immediate retreating dair baits shield grabs just as well with fox as it does with falco, and guess what? That's a free up smaash! And an early grave for most characters - much more effective than going for a shield poke, landing a random nair, and then they fly like 10 feet. And if you get a shield poke with the dair (because you did an immediate retreating one on top of the shield), you can just DI back in during the 1000 drills and kill them anyway.

Empty hops backwards or over the shield, as well as just dashing away and waiting on the roll, take advantage of fox's superior speed and might give him a greater chance at real gains out of shield pressure than falco. Not to mention his far better shine grab. But people can just jump into fox's shine to escape his pressure, whereas falco gets a combo or hit off of a random shine... idk, I guess they are really different pressures when it comes down to it. Pretty exciting thought, actually. How many people see both only as some arbitrary combination of shines and aerials??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&list=PL3D4B01B300B3BDDD&v=9AIAtAsfYZE#t=248s
holy wow

Yo$himan

No More Free Jumps!
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, United States of America
Not only is shield pressure hellafun, but it can give you some incite on how far your opponent is thinking ahead. You can even read your opponent's shield pressure and see what he is thinking. Unfortunately, the only other person who tries to use shield pressure in Arkansas is arby, so I've had few practice.

The March Hare

Smash Cadet
wut you talking about son? jabs are shield pressure. And I use dem things all over da place.

On another note. Bought my apex ticket thing. Without a doubles tournament increasing the fee. :(

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
Not only is shield pressure hellafun, but it can give you some incite on how far your opponent is thinking ahead. You can even read your opponent's shield pressure and see what he is thinking. Unfortunately, the only other person who tries to use shield pressure in Arkansas is arby, so I've had few practice.
Uhhh Saber? I don't remember if Ace does with Falco, but I think so. G Vice attempts it at least, and Chamberlin tried it one night. And of course they all shield pressure with their own characters. But I agree. We really don't have someone to practice against who mixes up their pressure consistently.

chamberlin

Smash Ace
My shield pressure game isn't as good as I would like. I need a little more tech skill for that to happen.

Mango probably has the best offensive game in Melee right now. Most of his shield pressure is low risk and highly effective. He spaces himself away from his opponent after he hits the shield which makes his opponents throw out moves randomly, and when he goes directly in to the shield, he does it so clean that he gets away for free. There's a lot more to it than that, but it's pretty amazing to watch sometimes.

G. Vice

Smash Lord
Yeah, on my best day I'm bad at shield pressure with spacies. Ganon is the only character I'm comfortable enough with to do it truly how I want it to be with.

Yo$himan

No More Free Jumps!
Uhhh Saber? I don't remember if Ace does with Falco, but I think so. G Vice attempts it at least, and Chamberlin tried it one night. And of course they all shield pressure with their own characters. But I agree. We really don't have someone to practice against who mixes up their pressure consistently.
I forgot about saber in relation to melee. I do agree though that everyone has there own style when it comes to shield pressure, but it is usually very ineffective.

On the note about having someone who mixes up their pressure. Someone is finally making a bid on my house and because of that my sister is thinking about moving to Florida with her boyfriend and I was thinking about tagging along. There would be some major melee to be had there. I was also thinking about not going to Florida, but going to California. Then again I will probably wait until I finish college to move.

Rusty, are you still coming to fayetteville for your birthday? If so do you want my address?

G. Vice

Smash Lord
Will, living in Florida would be pretty awesome. Maybe you could get a place and I could come visit and meet all the great smashers who live there sometime :D

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
Better be prepared to travel unless you live in Gainesville, Orlando, or the southwest. Granted, that's likely :p

Move to California so I can visit, or better yet don't move at all.

Vts

Smash Champion
Me and saber got drunk last night and played some smash.

best idea yet lol, i signed up for apex also, 500 people going lol 250 for melee only 300 for brawl only and like 100 mix, it's going to be crazy.

controller still not broken in but it's good enough for me to do stuff with with minor mess ups, going to practice the crap out of it monday on my day off going to say screw swtor and put 5-10 hours of tech skill practice in

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
My mom printed off some stuff about New Brunswick. Generally safe, slightly dangerous (muggings esp) after dark. Standard stuff I guess. The food though! **** some chains I'm eating local.

The March Hare

Smash Cadet
Me and saber got drunk last night and played some smash.

best idea yet lol, i signed up for apex also, 500 people going lol 250 for melee only 300 for brawl only and like 100 mix, it's going to be crazy.

controller still not broken in but it's good enough for me to do stuff with with minor mess ups, going to practice the crap out of it monday on my day off going to say screw swtor and put 5-10 hours of tech skill practice in
I am hoping for another couple of hundred in melee 10 minutes before the deadline on the 31st. :)
M2k and Armada are teaming again. Gosh, I wonder who are winning teams.

Also I hate the apex player list. Alphabetizing by the word "the." So much hate.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
M2k & AR
Amsah & Ice
Mango & G$
PP & Lozr
Hbox & Plup
Jman & Hax$
Strong Bad & Ripple

Yo$himan

No More Free Jumps!
hmmm I love so many of her songs

Here's two that I'm fairly certain are the most well received of her songs. When you can't make a decision yourself leave it to statistics to tell you the best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRtd8ArvH_s&feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtA7YIFapnY
well, metric is pretty awesome. I didn't care for her monotone vocals. Then again, it did contrast well with the music.

Welp, my favorite will have to be Celine Dion.

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
What's everyone's favorite female singer?
That's just as hard as choosing my favorite male singer. I dunno.
well, metric is pretty awesome. I didn't care for her monotone vocals. Then again, it did contrast well with the music.

Welp, my favorite will have to be Celine Dion.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATql79c0FXE

My favorite Metric song. The monotone vocals add so much to the sense of cynicism here. Definitely gotta read the lyrics while listening to it.

I prefer Leslie Feist (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwwebzliQ2M&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PL270BB8FB29E0B454) to Emily Haines, but they're both great. Broken Social Scene is... broken!

You were my strength when I was weak
You were my voice when I couldn't speak
You were my eyes when I couldn't see
You saw the best there was in me
BECAUSE YOU LOVED ME
Nice :)
OMg rusty get on dc, we need a 4th person to do most of these missions.
At a four day party, sorrrry

Yo$himan

No More Free Jumps!

Vts

Smash Champion
Happy birthday arby, would have called but your sleeping :D.

Also me and saber signed the stuff for apex and we are an official business, let's hope some things change to get this rolling!

also saber will be coming with us to apex, he's taking ace's spot since he has nothing better to do lol

Seifersythe

Smash Apprentice
The anime Studio Khara confirmed on New Year's Day that Evangelion Shin Gekijō-ban: ?, the fourth and final film in Hideaki Anno and Khara's remake of Gainax's Neon Genesis Evangelion anime series, will open in Japan in 2013. The anime's official website also announced the English title of the third film: You Can (Not) Redo.
Time loop?

Time loop.

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
Yep. Tears for Fears compositions have a way of ingraining themselves in your psyche. Easy to sing, good lyrics, memorable instrumentation.

Their song Head Over Heels was probably the most addictive for me on that soundtrack, although the entire thing is crack. The Killing Moon, Love Will Tear Us Apart, Under the Milky Way...

The March Hare

Smash Cadet
Happy birthday arby, would have called but your sleeping :D.

Also me and saber signed the stuff for apex and we are an official business, let's hope some things change to get this rolling!

also saber will be coming with us to apex, he's taking ace's spot since he has nothing better to do lol
I would ask if you want to be on a team saber. But I have no idea how to add a doubles tournament ticket to the thing. If anyone does, and saber doesn't mind teaming with me, tell me please. :(

edit: so I figured out how too, just waiting to know if saber is willing to team with me. :)

Top Bottom