• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Argument thread: Is Edgehogging/guarding cheap?

Yerka90

Smash Rookie
It comes time and time when you and your opponent is outside the stage. Both of you are outside fighting to the death about the belowed edge. You think its time to end his life by hanging on the edge and watch him go through your invincible frames and lose another life. Then suddenly beside you on the couch in front of your tv your buddy shouts "CHEAP ... YOU PLAY SO FREAKING CHEAP. WHY ARE YOU EDGEHOGGING ME ALL THE TIME!!" I answer "because its a part of the game and everybody should edgehog"

Well it is of course a part of the game to edgehog your opponent cause some characters have a very bad recovery and good attack status or defence or the other way around. What do you think? An argument would be nice so I can show him that it is Cheap/not Cheap.

Another thing thats funny is that he wont edmit that I am better than him when im edgehogging and when we are dueling I am winning about 85% of my matches against him :laugh: :laugh:

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Edgehogging is about as bad as cape guarding or spiking.....so not really.(I dunno how to do it well yet, though...T_T)

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
Dang it! Don't you just hate it when people do that!? If you ask me, the stage is one half of the game, and the edge is the other. If you don't allow egdeguarding, you're essentially playing half of the game. :laugh:

ChronoTrigga

Smash Apprentice
If you can't withstand being edgeguarded, you have no right to play Smash Bros. Regardless of which game it is. It's a part of the game. Edgeguarding ftw.

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
haha, edgehogging and edgegaurding are two different things, lulz. idk, i use it sometimes too(ivysaur makes me so tempted)
Edgehogging can ruin recoveries (Ike), but tis not "cheap", and just adds importance to DI. You might as well say that combos are cheap, because they "don't give you time to attack." Its part of the game, and an effective way to play. Edgeguarding is not cheap either; its about as cheap as double-jumping in Checkers, or killing the Queen in Chess.

Okay, bad comparisons, but you get the point.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Edgehogging isn't cheap.

Prove me wrong.

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
Is this argument thread gonna cover more debates? Because if so, don't do the Banning MK argument; this thread would catch fire!

pacmansays

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I think if we expanded the topics it would be great :D

Like a weekly topic to discuss would be interesting

A17

Smash Ace
NNID
Okrapaeli
the best part of edgehogging is that u humiliate the other person if you do it spontaneously. If you are already grabbing hold of the edge and refreshing your invincibility frames, then that's just plain dumb.

However the best part of being edgeGUARDed is when you pass them with a dodge or something that out prioritizes their actions

Rikana

Smash Champion
I love letting my opponent back on the stage so there's no end to the match. I might as well just stand there and make them both have a staring competition if there's no edge hog or edge guarding. I love it! I don't play Brawl though. :(

PrinceRamen

Smash Lord
NNID
PrinceRamen
3DS FC
1590-4706-2476
lol^

but most kills are actually because of edgeguards/edgehogs.

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
I honestly don't think they're cheap. It's a great way to take advantage of the other player and the old-fashioned way to gimp a recovery. It's a bit overused, but it's not completely cheap. Any character can do it, so why not?

Uffe

Smash Hero
It's not cheap, otherwise Sakurai and friends wouldn't have made it possible for you to simply run off the stage and grab the edge like it's nothing. The game only knows winning and losing. If you get edgehogged, that's your problem. If you think it's cheap, play a different game.

BloodBird

Smash Journeyman
Cheapness, is different than strategy, in Melee, when someone is trying to recover and using Link's side b to stop them is strategy, so is edge guarding. The line between strategy and cheapness is when a move is unavoidable, like a lot of Metaknight's moves. The cheapest move quite possibly is Game and Watch's gas attack, you auto will get like 10 hits. edge guarding is avoidable depending on the character, although I've seen some Link users who can use his hookshot to make it impossible to get back, but more so than not it is all avoidable, not so much that cheap.

pizzapie7

Smash Ace
Edgeguarding/hogging is not cheap. I don't know who gave you that silly idea.

Shadow13

Smash Journeyman
Edgeguarding/hogging is not cheap. I don't know who gave you that silly idea.
Yeah, edgeguarding or hogging is normal, if somebody doesn't like it, have them pick up MK or Pit.
And is it not obvious? Silly ideas come from silly people.

Marshmallowman

Smash Apprentice
Edgehogging (different than edgeguarding) is completely fine, the only way it would be cheap is say, only chars. with tethers could edgehog, cause then non-tether characters would be at a large disadvantage (and link would be in A or B tier). seeing as how both you and your oppenent can do it, its not cheap, just a part of the game.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
At least call it a "debate" thread.

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
Edge-hogging and edge-guarding are not cheap at all, its a technique to use. After all, isn't the point of the game to knock your opponent off of the screen? And isn't hogging one way to do that? It helps you achieve your main goal in the game which is to knock your opponent off the stage and keep them from getting back on. Guarding is the same thing, why the **** would you allow the person to get back on when the whole point of the game is to PREVENT that from happening?

Anyone who says edge-hogging/guarding is cheap sucks at the game and is a sore loser.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Nothing is cheap in competitive play as long as both people have the option to use said tactic (IE both people can be the same character and can use the same move).

Discussion over.

Top Bottom