• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Argument thread: Is Edgehogging/guarding cheap?

TheLoneWolf

Smash Rookie
Well...

I HATE EDGEGUARDIN & EDGEGUARDERS. To me, dat's noobed up. I fight wit dignity & honor. If I kill u, I make sure dat u not makin it back to da stage WITHOUT edgehoggin.

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
I HATE EDGEGUARDIN & EDGEGUARDERS. To me, dat's noobed up. I fight wit dignity & honor. If I kill u, I make sure dat u not makin it back to da stage WITHOUT edgehoggin.
Ummm, yes, if that's your opinion.... But fighting with dignity and honor does not require you to not edgeguard. You can fight honorably off the stage. (I'm trying not to be a troll)

Chuz

Smash Cadet
Wouldn't be fighting with honor mean fighting to your fullest? If you don't edge guard it's like you're holding back and/or giving you opponent mercy, it's disrespectful at best. Edge guarding is simply like avoiding Ike's Fsmash and then punishing him with you own kill move and killing him. You opponent makes a mistake, you try punish 'em for it if you can. If you're not doing this then you're probably not playing the game right. The edge game is probably what makes up half of all SSB games.

GamerGuitarist7

Smash Champion
this is the most pathetic thread i have ever seen.

honestly. you guys are playing BRAWL. why does it ****ing matter? you can airdodge through anything and survive almost any hit to the point where you can recover safely.
i know this is an exaggeration and i DO understand how high level brawl is played but it's still reasonably true. grapple recoverers have methods of freeing the edge to up-b safely and regardless it's your fault for playing a ****ty character anyway. lower tiers are lower tiers for a reason

the point is to keep the opponent of the stage. that is the point of the ENTIRE GAME. it must be done by whatever means necessary. a win is a win

melee has been around for 8 years where these tactics are both twice as useful/common. we're not complaining about it. use it as an example. the idea of banning or complaining about edgeguarding/edgehogging is pathetic.

stop johning.

Chuz

Smash Cadet
GamerGuitarist, I play Melee too. Even Melee used to get this. Thing is though, now that all the noobs have moved on to Brawl, you don't hear much of these things in Melee anymore. It's unfair to say that just Brawl gets these kind of arguments. And the idea of this thread is edgeguarding/hogging cheap, not if it should be banned or johns or anything like that.

Truth is, it depends on how you look at it. Is having a sword cheap in the game against characters that don't? Or projects? Really though, all these questions don't have much meaning, because in the end, you can also have the advantages of projects and sword. Anything anyone else can do you should be able too as well(with practice anyways). It's not cheap if you have the options to do it as well. That's the same as saying attacking me is cheap, or shielding is cheap. That's my view on it anyways.

TEECO

Smash Ace
edge guarding is cheap when it comes to characters that dont amazing recoveries.

edgeguarding a link, olimar, ivysaur, zss, ganondorf, captain falcon is cheap
ect

gimping chracters like
mk, ddd, ROB, snake, kirby ect is NOT

GamerGuitarist7

Smash Champion
edge guarding is cheap when it comes to characters that dont amazing recoveries.

edgeguarding a link, olimar, ivysaur, zss, ganondorf, captain falcon is cheap
ect

gimping chracters like
mk, ddd, ROB, snake, kirby ect is NOT
pick a better character.

and thanks chuz for responding kindly haha. pretty deep way to think about it but regardless i still stand by my post.

cutter

Smash Champion
You get points in Melee for successful edgehogging. In other words, the game REWARDS you for doing an edgehog which means it was intended to be in the series from the beginning.

Ult

Smash Cadet
I usually never edgehog, the only time I do is when Im down a couple stocks in a fight.

Being a Kirby main, I usually go after them when they fall off the stage.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
You get points in Melee for successful edgehogging. In other words, the game REWARDS you for doing an edgehog which means it was intended to be in the series from the beginning.
It was worth quite a pretty penny(points?) if I recall right, too. I think it was 2800, which is much more than the "lol" bonuses, like Compass Tosser or NO R 4 U.

So you not only got rewarded, you got rewarded GREATLY.

Also, edgehogging ZSS is really really **** hard. ZSS isn't a character whose recovery is bad. Neither is Lucario's for that matter.

BSP

Smash Legend
lol. edgehogging isn't cheap. it's ur friends fault for not being able to find a way around it.

Chuz

Smash Cadet
What about killing at early percents? If edgehogging/guarding is cheat then so is killing a player before they are at high %. Remember, some characters can only kill at very high % without edgehogging/guarding their target(Sheik) well others (such as Snake) can kill before 100% with a variety of very powerful fast moves(U-tilt, Bair, etc). It would be very unfair if you think about it.

Edit: Also, you're right sasukebowser, not all the noobs moved on to Brawl. I generalized and exaggerated it quite a bit. But mostly Brawl gets this kind of stuff; whether it be if CG is too cheap, edgehogging is too cheap, X character should be banned, or W/E. Melee used to get this alot too, but it doesn't anymore, which is why it leads me to think most of the complainers in Melee either learned to play, or moved onto a different game.

GTA_Hater_331

Smash Journeyman
Let me guess: Edge hogging is hanging on to the edge by the hand so the opponent can't, and edge guarding is standing atop the edge and attacking the opponent to keep them off the stage?

I don't recall dying to edgehogging as much as with edgeguarding. I usually let them back on the edge, then KO them with a powerful attack (whether promptly or not). Does that count as edgeguarding?

Chuz

Smash Cadet
Edgeguarding is an attempt at stopping your target from grabbing the edge or recovering after falling off stage. Edgehogging is form of edgeguarding. But no, GTA Hater, you're not edgeguarding if you let them grab the edge.

Marthos

Smash Journeyman
Edgehogging is a clear and valid strategy that everyone can do (barring the excellence of some characters' recoveries). What's unfair about that?

YUNq PHR3$H

Smash Journeyman
I Edgeguard All The Time ;
Like It's Your Opponents Fault If Day Get Knocked Out
&&_ They Should Find A Way Around It.
I Do It ALL THE TIME ; SERIOUSLY
I Don't Give A *** lol
No Johns If You Get Edgeguarded

Top Bottom