• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anything Can Change! Chrom for SSB4 - Closing Remarks, and an Invitation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Don't get mad at me guys, but I really just don't see Chrom getting a stance changing moveset.

What I COULD see, is him being a semi clone of Ike. That isn't a bad thing. Hear me out. He could be like how Wolf is to Fox. Shares like 4 moves and then is completely different gameplay wise.

I would say his Up B could be similar to Aether. I visualize it as if he jumps into the air, then spins as he crashes down at an angle. Kind of like Ness and PK Fire. You can see it in this cutscene:

I'd say give him counter as a Down B, not sure what his Side B would be, but I had a fancy idea for his neutral B. I thought maybe he could improve his strength or some stat by using Rally. It charges like other neutral B attacks, and once it fully charges, you release and it improves for example strength for a specified time limit.

Just some ideas. I'll be honest, I don't really expect him to be completely unique, but I don't think any Swordsmen could be if we're being that strict. Would Shulk be considered lame if he swiped a certain way with the Monado? Of course not.

Last edited:

Speculator

Smash Ace
I'll be honest, I don't really expect him to be completely unique, but I don't think any Swordsmen could be if we're being that strict.
With the exception of Toon Link, all the swordsmen in Brawl are unique. We have Link, Meta Knight, Pit, Marth and Ike, and none of them fight anything like each other. Swordsmanship comprises a diverse set of skills and abilities, especially when you include the fantasy moves people can pull off in video games.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I know it's old news, but has Chrom's voice actor said anything concerning Smash Bros since that interview? Also, what was the general consensus n what that interview meant?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I know it's old news, but has Chrom's voice actor said anything concerning Smash Bros since that interview? Also, what was the general consensus n what that interview meant?
To my knowledge, he hasn't. However, the interview likely was made before voice acting was added, as many of the gameplay bits we've seen excluded dialogue. Not to mention, the Japanese voice actor's lines would likely be recorded first.

As well, seeing as he hasn't said anything yet since then, he may be under an NDA if he is doing voice work.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Although that said, Matthew Mercer does have a twitter account and at this point, if Chrom is in, voice work should have mostly finished. My idea for determining if Chrom can be disconfirmed is to ask him on his twitter if he is doing voice work in Smash Bros for Wii U/3DS. If Mercer flat out says no, Chrom disconfirmed. If he beats around the bush, neither confirming nor denying, then we will need to watch out.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Although that said, Matthew Mercer does have a twitter account and at this point, if Chrom is in, voice work should have mostly finished. My idea for determining if Chrom can be disconfirmed is to ask him on his twitter if he is doing voice work in Smash Bros for Wii U/3DS. If Mercer flat out says no, Chrom disconfirmed. If he beats around the bush, neither confirming nor denying, then we will need to watch out.
I'm pretty sure that he'll beat around the bush whether Chrom is in the game or not. You're ignoring the real possibility that Nintendo might decide to go with a different VA, or that he might just be courteous enough to Sakurai to avoid spoiling anything about the game.

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
Not to mention even if he did say yes, it wouldn't automatically mean Chrom will be playable. He could be an AT for all we know (although I'm doubtful on that).

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Not to mention, VA changes aren't something unheard of, either.

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422
Don't get mad at me guys, but I really just don't see Chrom getting a stance changing moveset.

What I COULD see, is him being a semi clone of Ike. That isn't a bad thing. Hear me out. He could be like how Wolf is to Fox. Shares like 4 moves and then is completely different gameplay wise.
As long as Chrom doesn't have Landmaster... :rolleyes:

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
Why does everyone think we'll get Chrom on Tuesday? Is there an anniversary or something, or is it just wishful thinking?

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Why does everyone think we'll get Chrom on Tuesday? Is there an anniversary or something, or is it just wishful thinking?
Awakening, along with the original Dark Dragon, Blazing Sword, and Path of Radiance were all initially released in April(though usually around the 20th). I guess some people might be basing their expectations on that? Aside from that, it's just general hoping I guess.

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
Awakening, along with the original Dark Dragon, Blazing Sword, and Path of Radiance were all initially released in April(though usually around the 20th). I guess some people might be basing their expectations on that? Aside from that, it's just general hoping I guess.
Oh, thanks.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I think it's between Palutena, Chrom, Takamaru, and maybe Shulk as far as Newcomers.

Hopefully, (wishful thinking) we may end up getting 2 characters. That would be legit.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I think it's between Palutena, Chrom, Takamaru, and maybe Shulk as far as Newcomers.

Hopefully, (wishful thinking) we may end up getting 2 characters. That would be legit.
Getting any of those two at once would be awesome, especially if Chrom is part of them.

I just really want to see what direction Sakurai chooses to take Chrom in. All I'm hoping for is the Exalted Falchion to make an appearance...that design is awesome. :love:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Honestly, I'm thinking Ridley has a shot to appear too. Not that the Metroid AT reveal means much, but I can't help but shake a feeling...

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Honestly, I'm thinking Ridley has a shot to appear too. Not that the Metroid AT reveal means much, but I can't help but shake a feeling...
I've been feeling the same thing. The Metroid AT, while likely not meaning much, just gave me an odd feeling waking up this morning that I couldn't shake.

But anyway, tomorrow we're in for a treat, whoever we get. As long as it isn't Mii.

:p

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I've been feeling the same thing. The Metroid AT, while likely not meaning much, just gave me an odd feeling waking up this morning that I couldn't shake.

But anyway, tomorrow we're in for a treat, whoever we get. As long as it isn't Mii.

:p
Honestly, if they reveal the Miis, then I have no doubt that there would be a second newcomer reveal.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Agreed.

If they give us miis, I'm going to beg for another newcomer like the kids do on every pic of the day on Miiverse.
I wouldn't go that far. You're better than that, haha. :p

That being said, let's stop poking fun at Miis in this thread before it gets out of hand.

andimidna

Smash Master
I wouldn't go that far. You're better than that, haha. :p

That being said, let's stop poking fun at Miis in this thread before it gets out of hand.
Yea, I'd like to add that I WANT to like Miis. I wish I did. Because they're likely.
But I don't.

So does anybody here also hope Chrom is paired with Lucina?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Eh, I'd rather just solo Chrom, personally. Why make things more...Chromplicated?

andimidna

Smash Master
Well, I think it adds uniqueness and pleases an entire extra fanbase.

Lucina is very popular in Japan, but can't get in over Chrom.
And the roster Marth, Ike, Chrom, Lucina seems a bit... too similar to each other.

I love the idea of them together with the switch moveset idea, I don't want it to seem like the successor lord, or like some sort of pattern.
I can't explain it well, but if he's a semi-clone I won't be too hyped.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Well, I think it adds uniqueness and pleases an entire extra fanbase.

Lucina is very popular in Japan, but can't get in over Chrom.
And the roster Marth, Ike, Chrom, Lucina seems a bit... too similar to each other.

I love the idea of them together with the switch moveset idea, I don't want it to seem like the successor lord, or like some sort of pattern.
I can't explain it well, but if he's a semi-clone I won't be too hyped.
I'm not sure if forcing two fully distinct characters together like that would really please both fanbases... It's kind of hard to explain, but I think a lot of people would question why they have to have another character tacked on to make either character work.

Last edited:

andimidna

Smash Master
I'm not sure if forcing two fully distinct characters together like that would really please both fanbases... It's kind of hard to explain, but I think a lot of people would question why they have to have another character tacked on to make either character work.
I don't think it would feel "tacked on" and it doesn't HAVE to be that way.
It just seems more interesting to me.
And it's the only way I see Lucina making it.
Chrom has a really good chance. Very likely.
But I don't think they're just going to go with the usual, easy, or expected route here.
Rosalina didn't have to have her Luma.
But I haven't seen anybody ask why she needs it.
She's better with it than without it. And more unique. And there's no way a Luma could have had it's own slot.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I don't think it would feel "tacked on" and it doesn't HAVE to be that way.
It just seems more interesting to me.
And it's the only way I see Lucina making it.
Chrom has a really good chance. Very likely.
But I don't think they're just going to go with the usual, easy, or expected route here.
Rosalina didn't have to have her Luma.
But I haven't seen anybody ask why she needs it.
She's better with it than without it. And more unique. And there's no way a Luma could have had it's own slot.
But I don't think anyone wanted Luma to have it's own slot.

Lucina is a much more defined and complete character than random Lumas or an identical twin Ice Climber are, I think.

andimidna

Smash Master
But I don't think anyone wanted Luma to have it's own slot.

Lucina is a much more defined and complete character than random Lumas or an identical twin Ice Climber are, I think.
That's what makes it different from them.
Lucina isn't like Toad, Waddle Dee, Luma, or Nana.
And yea, it hasn't really happened before, that's why I want it.
And, IMO, that's what makes it worth doing.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
That's what makes it different from them.
Lucina isn't like Toad, Waddle Dee, Luma, or Nana.
And yea, it hasn't really happened before, that's why I want it.
And, IMO, that's what makes it worth doing.
I suppose the fact that it's different is good and all, but the way it's different from those other examples...

But from what I've seen, people would rather have their characters solo then tied together. Some of the comments above seem to indicate so.

andimidna

Smash Master
I suppose the fact that it's different is good and all, but the way it's different from those other examples...

But from what I've seen, people would rather have their characters solo then tied together. Some of the comments above seem to indicate so.
I doubt that anybody would be complaining about it if it was confirmed, though.
If we were able to look at Chrom fighting alone and paired with Lucina, it would be easier to judge what we want.
That was just a few people...
I could easily see many people ending up disappointed if he was confirmed a semi-clone of Ike.
I also bet that many would start talking about how they were right that Ike would be removed.
I don't want Ike removed or the thought of it being considered likely...

3-4 people isn't very much. And because of the concepts prominence in Awakening I just find it ideal... I mean, the box art of Awakening is Chrom & Lucina, the lords, the daughter and father team, representing the 2 sets of characters.
I just... want it so much.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Just an hour left until a possible reveal, guys!

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
So, considering there's a normal worldwide Direct every two months, even in the case of special ones such as this one, and considering this hypothetical Direct would be at the end of the month...maybe a double Chrom and Ike reveal during it? It's much closer to the big Fire Emblem anniversary date.

And I got a kick out of Sakurai saying "Anything can Change" at the start of the Direct.

Jackson

Smash Lord
So, considering there's a normal worldwide Direct every two months, even in the case of special ones such as this one, and considering this hypothetical Direct would be at the end of the month...maybe a double Chrom and Ike reveal during it? It's much closer to the big Fire Emblem anniversary date.

And I got a kick out of Sakurai saying "Anything can Change" at the start of the Direct.
Yeah, let's think positive. :)

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
If a hypothetical normal Direct were to exist, I think we'd know in the next two weeks.

•Col•

Smash Champion
Cool. And by the way, when did Sakurai say "Anything can change"? That's pretty cool, he could be hinting at Chrom.
I think he's referring to the very beginning of the video when he says the footage is still alpha/beta/whatever, and that things could change for the final game. Literally ever dev ever says it when showing off a game pre-release, so even if Chrom is in the game, it definitely wasn't a hint. Especially considering the fact that [blah blah translation reasons blah blah blah who knows what his exact words actually were and if Chrom even used a similiar phrase in the japanese version blah].

Last edited:

Jackson

Smash Lord
I think he's referring to the very beginning of the video when he says the footage is still alpha/beta/whatever, and that things could change for the final game. Literally ever dev ever says it when showing off a game pre-release, so even if Chrom is in the game, it definitely wasn't a hint. Especially considering the fact that [blah blah translation reasons blah blah blah who knows what his exact words actually were and if Chrom even used a similiar phrase in the japanese version blah].
Haha, thanks for clearing it up.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Yeah, I mainly brought it up as a joke. :p

Status