• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anything Can Change! Chrom for SSB4 - Closing Remarks, and an Invitation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Igneous42

Smash Ace
As long as Ike stays in, and Chrom is at least a little different from him, I feel as if most people will be neutral.

As much as I like Chrom, I would rather him only get in if Ike stayed. There's no reason to cut Ike.
I've said it before, but I see no reason why Chrom getting in would mean Ike has to get cut. I want both, my want of Chrom is not indifference to Ike. Ike is actually my favorite lord so I'd be pretty sad to see him go. I think the only reason people think Chrom may "replace" Ike is because they view Ike as having replaced Roy. In some ways that is true but it's not completely the case. While it's not common knowledge to most gamers I'm sure most frequenters of smashboards know about "the forbidden seven" and that Roy was one of them. So there was already a time when 3 FE characters weren't out of the question but time/budget constraints or whatever it was led to Roy being cut. So Chrom won't replace Ike anymore than Lucario replaced Mewtwo. Mewtwo wasn't as high a priority and ended up being cut. That is a possibility but I think it's unlikely.

I think Ike's style is unique for a lot of reasons but one is that he is one of, what I'd argue comparatively few "heavy hitters." Of the heavy hitters he's also the only one who uses a sword and one of only two who use a melee weapon at all (DeDeDe being the other). Slapping that moveset, or even elements of that moveset onto Chrom instead would seem strange. In Fire Emblem canon Chrom is supposed to be a great fighter but is never praised for his pure might to the extent that Ike is. I feel like Ike's moveset in Brawl kinda highlights the fact that he is this monster of a warrior, a concept that just wouldn't fit Chrom as well. I honesly don't see why people are so quick to jump to the conclusion that FE won't have more than 2 character. Star Fox got 3 in Brawl and it wasn't exactly a super relevant franchise at the time. Command was the most recent one as of Brawl and iirc it didn't do super amazing or anything. Awakening may have not done as amazing as some people hype it to have but it did do really really well for the series and seems like it put the series in a great place. No reason FE can't have three characters IMO.

Vickand

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vickand
I think Chrom won't replace Ike, Ike is a unique character and Chrom would be totally different (in fact he may play a little like Marth). Also Ike is very popuylar and there's a difference between the popularity of Fire Emblem when we got Brawl than the popularity Fire Emblem has now after Awakening, so why not have 3 characters from Fire Emblem?

D

Deleted member

Actually now that several of the characters I want aren't going to get in, I want to give Chrom more leeway. But at the same time anyone claiming Chrom is the most original character ever and it's impossible for him to have relations to his colleges is sort of asking to be punched in the groin. Also anyone saying the criticisms aren't justified at all aren't exactly keeping an open mind and considering the criticisms. It's mainly an archetype sort of mentality, not anything petty like he wields a sword and has blue hair (though it's not a help either).

Like, one criticism I have is the ability to use a lance. Now from a gameplay prospective, you got to think on how utilizing a lance for a certain attack or two will benefit Chrom. Like for example, will it compensate for Chrom having low range? Will it help Chrom space? What exactly are the weapons properties like range, speed, power? Similarly, using the Shield of Seals. How exactly is it used, and how will it benefit Chrom's playstyle? Will it be a shield similar to Pit's Mirror Shield from Super Smash Bros. Brawl and block attacks in front of Chrom, or will it be used for more offensive measures that gives Chrom insurance for approaching? Also will the Falchion sport it's own characteristics compared to other weapons of it's ilk?

Likewise, there's the playstyle itself. For comparison, Marth is an agile fighter who despite his simplistic moveset has the utilities in both the ground and the air to both set up and kill the opponent because of his long disjointed reach, fast speeds, and combo ability. While is Ike is more about timing his attacks due to the nature of his sluggish yet powerful attacks, with effective edge guarding, jab, and long reach. Like for example, making Chrom a balanced character is one option, but then you've got to consider how that is handled. Is the playstyle like Sol Badguy where Chrom will have averaged out stats but have a reliance on rush down tactics, or is he a user friendly character that's versatile enough to swap between defensive and offensive options on the fly like Ky Kiske?
or is he a user friendly character that's versatile enough to swap between defensive and offensive options on the fly like Ky Kiske?
Hmm....

Ok, I'll bite. THAT I can dig.

Especially if you make him a more ranged fighter like Ky. None of the other lords thus far sport any ranged techs. So it could really make him stand out from Marth and Ike.

Didn't you once say that Chrom was able to sport lightning techs in the same way Ike sports fire techs? I'm at a bit of a loss in how Chrom plays in his own game. But if Sakurai goes that route get gets creative with him, I wouldn't mind seeing him.

Going with your idea, I'd give him the lightning element and give him a couple long range techs with it. I'd give him Roy's "middle of the blade" property for the Falchion, and make him the balanced defense to offence. As for the lance, that'd probably be the best way to incorporate lond distance pokes into his moveset.

I suppose Chrom does have something going for him, the only pity here is that his design is SOOOOO BLAND. But with all that considered, I guess I can settle for him so long as we get to keep Ike. The Ky inspiration and lighting element do give him something to work with, so if he's in, I trust Sakurai will work something interesting into him.

Shame Chrom will never be as cool as Ky and have a finishing move called Ride the Lightning :smirk:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Actually, no, Chrom doesn't have associations with lightning. Normally at least. You can make him wield a type of sword called the Levin Sword that makes him produce the same effect, or alternatively Thunder Magic if you change him into a Dread Fighter.

Besides, I had that sort of thing planned out more so for Shulk, considering it seems more fitting.

D

Deleted member

Though to be fair, Ike never had association with fire (aside from having an aura of blue flame in RD's climax), yet had Eruption in Brawl.

D

Deleted member

Though to be fair, Ike never had association with fire (aside from having an aura of blue flame in RD's climax), yet had Eruption in Brawl.
Yeah, that's what I was going for with Chrom, but apparently not...

Actually, no, Chrom doesn't have associations with lightning. Normally at least. You can make him wield a type of sword called the Levin Sword that makes him produce the same effect, or alternatively Thunder Magic if you change him into a Dread Fighter.

Besides, I had that sort of thing planned out more so for Shulk, considering it seems more fitting.
Well, that's a a pity. I'm trying to warm up to the idea of Chrom, but I agree, something more like Ky would me MUCH more fitting for Shulk and his extendo-sword. I see Shulk as a Shaman King/Ky Kysuke Hybrid with some future-sight thrown in...

I can defo see Shulk pulling off something like this:

Plus, he's not blue haired. :p

I guess Chrom will forever be boring old Chrom, every other sword fighter, and potential sword fighter can do everything he could, but much better. I just hope that leak is wrong then, cause I'd rather an Isaac and Shulk than a Chrom and Shulk, not to mention Takamaru is nowhere to be seen on that list...

If we got 6 more chars to go, I'd prefer:
-K.Rool/Dixie
-Palutena
-Mewtwo
-Takamaru
-Shulk
-Isaac

I think everyone, including the Ridley fans, would ultimately warm up to such a list.

Marthmario

Smash Lord
I honestly wanted Lucina, but with the removal of transformal characters, my whole idea for the Chrom and Lucina tag team is destroyed and Lucina's chances are in the toilet. So add me to the Chrom support train.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Yeah, that's what I was going for with Chrom, but apparently not...

Well, that's a a pity. I'm trying to warm up to the idea of Chrom, but I agree, something more like Ky would me MUCH more fitting for Shulk and his extendo-sword. I see Shulk as a Shaman King/Ky Kysuke Hybrid with some future-sight thrown in...

I can defo see Shulk pulling off something like this:

Plus, he's not blue haired. :p

I guess Chrom will forever be boring old Chrom, every other sword fighter, and potential sword fighter can do everything he could, but much better. I just hope that leak is wrong then, cause I'd rather an Isaac and Shulk than a Chrom and Shulk, not to mention Takamaru is nowhere to be seen on that list...
Yeah, that's my problem with Chrom. It doesn't seem like he can fill in any particular niche off the top of my head. I mean the whole balanced thing seems to be the most likely situation right now, but at the same time Shulk can do that thing too. I mean he could be more of a rush down character, with power and speed. Maybe having an emphasis on being an anti air character? I'm trying to figure out from a design standpoint why a character like Chrom would be seen as a benefit to the diversity.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I like the idea of perhaps an approach-based moveset. Like, making Chrom break through the enemy's defenses easily and hitting hard at close range, but with the advantage of the sword having a longer reach. Maybe a healing gimmick could be neat, too. Like, if he gets close enough and pulls off enough close-range sword hits, the Exalted Falchion glows and heals more residual damage with each swipe.

Minato Arisato

Smash Ace
NNID
ShinyBachuru
3DS FC
1392-5292-2267
Or...Sakurai could just come up with a moveset no one's ever thought of. Because he's quirky like that.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Or...Sakurai could just come up with a moveset no one's ever thought of. Because he's quirky like that.
I'm certainly gunning for this to be the case. It'd be really nice if Chrom was a kind of fresh and unique character none of us had even thought of yet.

We'll see, I suppose. It's certainly the theme with this game, at any rate.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Chrom is not going to be shoot chickens out of a bazooka if that's what you're thinking.
...so would the chickens be live or dead? Would they come skinned and ready to cook? Or would they be cooked already, and if so, deep fried or roasted?

:p

Last edited:

Igneous42

Smash Ace
Pretty much this. I don't know why people are like "I think Chrom is boring so he will be." Get over yourselves, if Sakurai has proven anything with the so-far confirmed newcomers it's that he's finding cool ways to make all of them clever. No reason to think he won't/can't with Chrom just because you can't think of how he would. Not to mention I still think there are several FE related quirks he could some how incorporate, but even if he was a fairly "standard" character that'd be fine. Not every new character needs some sort of gimmick to work.

Hong

The Strongest
I wanted to call Chrom fans, "Bhroms"...

But, well... you know.

In regards to his originality:
After seeing Greninja and Little Mac, I am convinced we could throw Chrom into the battle completely naked and Masahiro Sakurai would still find a way to make him a wholly original character. A lot of us have made interesting movesets for Chrom. Even though Little Mac and WFT both implemented some of the ideas I had, I could still make up more Chroms.

The point is, that's not really the issue. At worse, I think a character selection screen of Marth, Ike and Chrom would understandably upset a lot of people and I personally feel the series can be better represented. That said, that still does not validate the fact that on a functional level, Chrom can offer a completely unique gameplay experience.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
If we got 6 more chars to go, I'd prefer:
-K.Rool/Dixie
-Palutena
-Mewtwo
-Takamaru
-Shulk
-Isaac

I think everyone, including the Ridley fans, would ultimately warm up to such a list.
This may be off topic, but I wholeheartedly agree with this whether the SR leak is real or not.

Hong

The Strongest
Deliver Beach Chrom as an alt costume and I will never complain about Hooker Suit Samus again.

Minato Arisato

Smash Ace
NNID
ShinyBachuru
3DS FC
1392-5292-2267
What I want to know is...why on earth does Chrom get so much hate on this site? It's ridiculous.

I think I'll join the list of supporters, if that's alright with you guys.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
What I want to know is...why on earth does Chrom get so much hate on this site? It's ridiculous.

I think I'll join the list of supporters, if that's alright with you guys.
I think it's a combination of:

1. Thinking he'll replace Ike.
2. Thinking Sakurai won't be able to come up with a unique moveset.

I think both of these are totally unfounded ideas for multiple reasons, and really hope I'm correct. I also support Chrom quite a bit....as long as Ike is still there. My heart couldn't take him being asbent.

D

Deleted member

In regards to his originality:
After seeing Greninja and Little Mac, I am convinced we could throw Chrom into the battle completely naked and Masahiro Sakurai would still find a way to make him a wholly original character. A lot of us have made interesting movesets for Chrom. Even though Little Mac and WFT both implemented some of the ideas I had, I could still make up more Chroms.

The point is, that's not really the issue. At worse, I think a character selection screen of Marth, Ike and Chrom would understandably upset a lot of people and I personally feel the series can be better represented. That said, that still does not validate the fact that on a functional level, Chrom can offer a completely unique gameplay experience.
In the long run, most people are really only going to care about Marth and Ike. Sure Roy and Chrom might be popular suggestions, but they aren't exactly needed (then again, we've already added all of our necessary characters with the previous games). It's going to be more about what a character can bring to the game and while popularity and importance can be a factor, uniqueness still play a large role in the character. Mega Man has one of the most unique move sets I've ever seen in a Smash game and the other newcomers are no slouch in the uniqueness department either.

I'm really curious to see what exactly Sakurai does with Chrom (especially since Salromano has leaked him). I'll admit that I don't really care about the character myself and would much rather other Fire Emblem character, but if Sakurai can make Chrom an entirely unique and exciting character while keeping Ike, I will be very impressed (and this is the same man that made Wii Fit Trainer look very attractive, so I have a lot of hope that Sakurai can pull this off).

Morian

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0860-4377-2975
Deliver Beach Chrom as an alt costume and I will never complain about Hooker Suit Samus again.
Smash is all about fanservice. We love it. We NEED it.

Jokes aside, if Chrom gets an alt costume i hope for his Great Lord design. That armor, that Fire Emblem shield and dat Exalted Falchion.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Not gonna lie, I really, really want Beach Chrom. I kind of expect his default gear to be Great Lord + Emblem Shield. So...Beach Chrom.

If we can have something as ridiculous as WIRE Mac, PLEASE!

Morian

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0860-4377-2975
A Smash male character show us his nipples (Captain Knee doesn't count) sounds pretty annoying and funny.

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
That's why the move is called "Eruption", after all Ike isn't emitting Fire from his blade he is using the waves of Ragnell to call upon the flame of earth, he is basically irritating the ground beneath him. Ike do have an"Earth" affinity in Fire Emblem.

Last edited:

Jackson

Smash Lord
That's why the move is called "Eruption", after all Ike isn't emitting Fire from his blade he is using the waves of Ragnell to call upon the flame of earth, he is basically irritating the ground beneath him. Ike do have an"Earth" affinity in Fire Emblem.
I played Awakening and loved it, but my memory is a bit foggy... does Chrom use the power of light or something once he gets Exalted Falchion? If so this could figure into his specials.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I played Awakening and loved it, but my memory is a bit foggy... does Chrom use the power of light or something once he gets Exalted Falchion? If so this could figure into his specials.
He got a power boost and healing abilities. No "power of light," though.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I don't particularly like Chrom when compared to other Fire Emblem candidates, but I like sword users in general, so I'd at least get used to him if he plays differently enough from Marth and Ike.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom