• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anything Can Change! Chrom for SSB4 - Closing Remarks, and an Invitation

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Wait....he saps health with the Exhalted Falchion....?

Could he be the Venomous Drainer archetype we don't have yet?

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Wait....he saps health with the Exhalted Falchion....?

Could he be the Venomous Drainer archetype we don't have yet?
Um... No, he definitely doesn't sap health. Exalted Falchion just has a healing function in it that one can activate. The only draining Chrom does is through Aether, which Ike uses already without any healing, so...

D

Deleted member

Ike's Aether and Chrom's Aether are only similar in name and the effect.
How they're performed is another story.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
They could easily make Chrom's Aether different from Ike's. it can be a rushing attack that you hold, then he charges forward and swings the EF upward.

Depending on how long you held it, maybe it restores more health.

Come to think of it, Ike needs something other than Quick Draw...

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Ike needs adjustment to Quick Draw, because there's untapped potential with that attack. Like there's Project M, where it's modified to give you the option to attack or not, meaning you can use it to quickly approach. It can also be cancelled into an up smash, grab, jump, or wall jump.

I would also like to see the idea of Ike having a projectile experimented with. Like for example instead of Eruption he can instead stab the ground and create a stream of flames similar to Sol Badguy's Gun Blade attack.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Time to rate Chrom in the "Rate Their Chances" thread. Let's give him some sugar.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Actually, assuming that the second batch of leaked characters are completely correct and Chrom is in, when would they announce him? The game is going to come out on the 3DS in the summer and the last major chance to announce him pre-release would probably be at E3. I'd be surprised if Chrom actually managed to get revealed there. On the other hand, in the scenario that Chrom is in, I doubt he would be unlockable.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Actually, assuming that the second batch of leaked characters are completely correct and Chrom is in, when would they announce him? The game is going to come out on the 3DS in the summer and the last major chance to announce him pre-release would probably be at E3. I'd be surprised if Chrom actually managed to get revealed there. On the other hand, in the scenario that Chrom is in, I doubt he would be unlockable.
Assuming the leak is true, Shulk, Chrom, and Palutena are trailer worthy. Pac-Man is E3 for sure along with 1-2 of those.
But I'm sure there will be secret newcomers and at least one of those three has to be one. I'll predict Shulk as secret because we haven't seen a stage or anything else of Xenoblade to make a trailer out of.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Here's what I think will happen with Chrom. Or Smash in general.

Considering Namco has experience with fighting games and different fighting styles, I believe that they would propose some ideas to Sakurai, and he will therefore pick a character that would match the style well.

So instead of thinking of what Chrom can do, we should look at it like, "What kind of style of fighting from a different style game would suit Chrom?" Would it be the venomous drainer that @GoldenYuiitusin referred to? Would it be something else? It isn't going to be a stance changer based on the focus on one moveset per character. But what would suit Chrom, or any swordsmen well?

•Col•

Smash Champion
So instead of thinking of what Chrom can do, we should look at it like, "What kind of style of fighting from a different style game would suit Chrom?" Would it be the venomous drainer that @GoldenYuiitusin referred to? Would it be something else? It isn't going to be a stance changer based on the focus on one moveset per character. But what would suit Chrom, or any swordsmen well?
Pretty much anything Chrom's playstyle could be, plenty of other FE characters could also pull off. Just sayin'.

That's kind of the problem with the character to begin with. I'm sure Sakurai could make some unique moveset for him, but it probably wouldn't be strictly from what we've seen of him in FE13. Just look at Zero Suit Samus, for instance. Granted, we don't see much of her in the games but..... When did she ever use jet boots and laser whips in the Metroid games?

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
What would suit Chrom is ignoring him, giving Ike adjustments, and shifting the attention towards Shulk.

Because I have no idea in hell how Chrom will be even remotely distinctive, unless they gave him a giant scalpel and an ass shove attack.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
What would suit Chrom is ignoring him, giving Ike adjustments, and shifting the attention towards Shulk.

Because I have no idea in hell how Chrom will be even remotely distinctive, unless they gave him a giant scalpel and an *** shove attack.
I am of the opinion that the Sal leak is true, so regardless, I am going to believe he is in the game. I would also believe he is in the game with a distinct moveset. That's why I'm proposing the question. I mean, if they give him a previously unavailable niche in Smash, that would make him a unique character as far as gameplay goes.

MY problem is that I'm not familiar with too many other fighting games, so I don't really know about the different niches that aren't available in Smash. However, I will say that Shulk could be taken in several different directions. Of course, because I believe the leak, I think they'll both be in anyway.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Here's what I think will happen with Chrom. Or Smash in general.

Considering Namco has experience with fighting games and different fighting styles, I believe that they would propose some ideas to Sakurai, and he will therefore pick a character that would match the style well.

There's a lot of styles to choose from in Soul Calibur but I don't know which one would fit him. I already have a unique moveset for him in my mind, though, except for B attacks which aren't much of a problem to come up with.

This goes for people who can't see him being unique:
Sakurai would know how to make him unique. Just look at Meta Knight, Toon Link, Link, Marth and Ike. They're all different in their sword-play.

Look at all the characters that use bare fists, they're not all clones. If Rosalina wasn't revealed people would have a hard time thinking of her moveset and thinking she'd be a Peach clone.

Last edited:

•Col•

Smash Champion
This goes for people who can't see him being unique:
Sakurai would know how to make him unique. Just look at Meta Knight, Toon Link, Link, Marth and Ike. They're all different in their sword-play.
That's really not a fair comparison, honestly.

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110827072208/kirby/en/images/d/d1/Meta_Knight_KRTDL.png

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130418203524/geosworld/images/0/02/Toon_link_bow.png

http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb...em/images/archive/c/c1/20080409220947!Ike.jpg

Just look at them. Of course they're going to have different playstyles.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
And Chrom doesn't have a style like Ike or Toon Link either. The closest analogue is Marth, but I still don't think it's wise to think so inside the box with what we've seen yet.

If the Sal leak is true, and/or Sakurai has decided to add Chrom anyway, given the direction of the game, he probably wouldn't just add him lightly. But we're probably just going to keep going in circles with "Yeah but...stuff" when we honestly don't know anyway. Because there's nothing else to talk about, I guess.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Like I said, though, Rosalina isn't a Peach clone, neither is Zelda. Mario and Luigi have some similar moves and look alike, but on the other hand, Wario is different. Kirby and Jigglypuff are both pink balls and play different. By the way, I'm not talking just about special moves, I'm talking about normal moves like Jabs and aerials.

Ganondorf is the King of Evil and Captain Falcon is a professional driver. "Of course they're going to have different playstyles." (lol sorry, couldn't resist myself)

I heard this a lot in the brawl days: "Meta Knight is just Kirby with a sword." In reality, aside from having multiple jumps and a few throws, they're pretty different.
Think of a character and I'm pretty sure they'll have at least one move in common with another.

In conclusion, looking similar or different doesn't guarantee how a moveset will be, and having a few similar moves doesn't necessarily take away uniqueness.
I'm not saying Chrom will 100% be 100% unique, but people aren't giving him a chance because he looks similar to Marth. Ike has blue-hair and a sword and played different, I believe Chrom can, too.

•Col•

Smash Champion
Like I said, though, Rosalina isn't a Peach clone, neither is Zelda. Mario and Luigi have some similar moves and look alike, but on the other hand, Wario is different. Kirby and Jigglypuff are both pink balls and play different. By the way, I'm not talking just about special moves, I'm talking about normal moves like Jabs and aerials.
Except, all those characters you just mentioned have the potential to differ themselves from eachother. have Aside from Mario and Luigi of course.. But you even conceded that they're fairly similiar in the end, so yeah. Rosalina has star power BS and uses a wand, Peach doesn't. Zelda has goddess power BS and magical aura attacks. Wario has tackles and is, erm.. Let's say, impolite(farting/biting). Kirby steals abilities from his enemies, and Jigglypuff sings songs and slaps people.

Pretty much 99% of what Chrom did in FE13, Marth/Ike can also do. Not to mention [insert 100+ other FE characters here] could do mostly everything.

Ganondorf is the King of Evil and Captain Falcon is a professional driver. "Of course they're going to have different playstyles." (lol sorry, couldn't resist myself)

Except, you're kinda proving my point by saying that. They have similiar builds so it's not out of the realm of possibility to be capable of similiar attacks. Especially considering that Cpt. Falcon has an almost completely original moveset non-canon from the Fzero games. Ganondorf actually suffers from the exact opposite problem of Chrom; He has the potential for one of the most unique movesets in the game, and yet he has been pigeonholed into being a clone.

If you're trying to argue that Chrom will be a Marth/Ike clone, I'm fine with accepting that.

I heard this a lot in the brawl days: "Meta Knight is just Kirby with a sword." In reality, aside from having multiple jumps and a few throws, they're pretty different.
Think of a character and I'm pretty sure they'll have at least one move in common with another.
If Kirby actually always had a sword in his games (and didn't steal abilities), his original Smash 64 moveset would be way different. I could actually see Metaknight ending up as a Kirby clone for Melee/Brawl if that were the case, actually.

In conclusion, looking similar or different doesn't guarantee how a moveset will be, and having a few similar moves doesn't necessarily take away uniqueness.
I'm not saying Chrom will 100% be 100% unique, but people aren't giving him a chance because he looks similar to Marth. Ike has blue-hair and a sword and played different, I believe Chrom can, too.
Of course it doesn't guarantee how we will play purely from his looks. But like I've been saying, anything he has shown capable of doing, Ike/Marth are also capable of doing. This is going back to the 'archetype' discussions people had a while ago.

I'm actually amazed at how many people thought the whole 'life-draining' archtype would be an amazing and unique idea for Chrom, considering the same idea could be applied to Marth/Ike/Roy/several other FE lords.

I even just mentioned a few posts ago that it isn't impossible for Chrom to have a unique moveset. It would most likely not be based off of his canon abilities, however. It would have Sakurai's own personal twist for whatever ideas he comes up for him. Did you not even read my ZSS analogy?

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Except, all those characters you just mentioned have the potential to differ themselves from eachother. have Aside from Mario and Luigi of course.. But you even conceded that they're fairly similiar in the end, so yeah. Rosalina has star power BS and uses a wand, Peach doesn't. Zelda has goddess power BS and magical aura attacks. Wario has tackles and is, erm.. Let's say, impolite(farting/biting). Kirby steals abilities from his enemies, and Jigglypuff sings songs and slaps people.

Pretty much 99% of what Chrom did in FE13, Marth/Ike can also do. Not to mention [insert 100+ other FE characters here] could do mostly everything.

Except, you're kinda proving my point by saying that. They have similiar builds so it's not out of the realm of possibility to be capable of similiar attacks. Especially considering that Cpt. Falcon has an almost completely original moveset non-canon from the Fzero games. Ganondorf actually suffers from the exact opposite problem of Chrom; He has the potential for one of the most unique movesets in the game, and yet he has been pigeonholed into being a clone.

If you're trying to argue that Chrom will be a Marth/Ike clone, I'm fine with accepting that.

If Kirby actually always had a sword in his games (and didn't steal abilities), his original Smash 64 moveset would be way different. I could actually see Metaknight ending up as a Kirby clone for Melee/Brawl if that were the case, actually.

Of course it doesn't guarantee how we will play purely from his looks. But like I've been saying, anything he has shown capable of doing, Ike/Marth are also capable of doing. This is going back to the 'archetype' discussions people had a while ago.

I'm actually amazed at how many people thought the whole 'life-draining' archtype would be an amazing and unique idea for Chrom, considering the same idea could be applied to Marth/Ike/Roy/several other FE lords.

I even just mentioned a few posts ago that it isn't impossible for Chrom to have a unique moveset. It would most likely not be based off of his canon abilities, however. It would have Sakurai's own personal twist for whatever ideas he comes up for him. Did you not even read my ZSS analogy?
The life draining COULD be applied to Marth or Ike, but why does that matter? We're talking in terms of Smash as a fighting game. If Chrom gets in alongside Marth and Ike, there is no reason why Chrom can't have a Venomous Drainer style to his moveset. Just because somebody else can do it doesn't mean it's not okay for another to use it.

Chrom could easily do that and be completely different from the other two in Smash. That's what matters here moveset wise.

•Col•

Smash Champion
The life draining COULD be applied to Marth or Ike, but why does that matter? We're talking in terms of Smash as a fighting game. If Chrom gets in alongside Marth and Ike, there is no reason why Chrom can't have a Venomous Drainer style to his moveset. Just because somebody else can do it doesn't mean it's not okay for another to use it.

Chrom could easily do that and be completely different from the other two in Smash. That's what matters here moveset wise.
I'm a little confused then. Shouldn't you support a character for that unique thing they can bring to the Smash series? What I mean is that, if other characters are actually capable of what Chrom can bring, and even more, why should you support him over these other characters? This mentality has really ever been my only problem with Chrom.

Simply because he looks 'cool'? I mean, the other possiblity is that people genuinely like him for his characterization but..... That really is just hard for me to wrap my head around. He's like the white bread of FE lords. And that's saying something. Granted, he's purposefully like that since his game is supposed to be the 'FE Allstars' games, but still.. D:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I don't think it's a good idea to question why people support characters, especially in Smash where the characters are ones superfans are often attached to. And most of the people I've known think Chrom would be a pretty cool guy to have in Smash, one way or another.

It's nice to say "Well, why not support this character instead?" Well, maybe they don't like that character. We play as characters, not wireframes.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I'm a little confused then. Shouldn't you support a character for that unique thing they can bring to the Smash series? What I mean is that, if other characters are actually capable of what Chrom can bring, and even more, why should you support him over these other characters? This mentality has really ever been my only problem with Chrom.

Simply because he looks 'cool'? I mean, the other possiblity is that people genuinely like him for his characterization but..... That really is just hard for me to wrap my head around. He's like the white bread of FE lords. And that's saying something. Granted, he's purposefully like that since his game is supposed to be the 'FE Allstars' games, but still.. D:
I can support a character for whatever reason I want. Awakening was my first Fire Emblem game, and I like Chrom in general.

I've also played PoR and really like Ike. I guess my point is that anybody can like any character for any reason. The who or why don't really matter.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413

I agree with you in several points because that was my actual point. That Chrom COULD be very similar, but could also not be similar. Yes, Ganondorf and CF have similar builds, because they look like grown men. Take away Ike's sword and he could be a CF clone, too.
The point here is that a character that has possibilities of being unique like Ganondorf could end up being a clone and the same goes other way around. Wolf managed to be very different aside from special attacks. Same for Lucas, Luigi, Ike and I might be missing some.

I wouldn't want to convince Wolf fans to prefer Krystal because she has potential to be unique. Neither would I want to convince Lucas fans to prefer Masked Man.

Now, back to Chrom's moveset. This is where what you said about ZSS comes in. Just like how CF, Fox and others that have non-cannon movesets, so can Chrom. Look at Ness, he uses moves from Paula. Chrom can borrow skills like Luna or something. It depends on Sakurai.
If your question is, "Why Chrom and not another character?" It's because the latest FE game is Awakening, Chrom is the lord, he has a lot of fans. A lot of people played FE for the first time with Awakening.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
the biggest problem with Chrom is his moveset. What have you guys thought of that would make him not a clone?
The OP has quite alot of moveset posts. And lately discussion has danced around the idea of Venemous Drainer, giving his Aether different properties, etc.

Honestly people. Wolf was pretty different from Fox or Falco; almost completely in fact, even with similar specials. Ike was not even a clone, and had about as many similarities in moves to Marth as Little Mac does.

Thinking the same won't happen with Chrom is just stupid and paranoid. And also, I never got the social reason for coming to someone's support thread, asking their reasons for support, and then continuing to tell them their reasons are stupid after they give them. Once they answer you, if you don't like it, don't stick around.

(This was not directed at the person I quoted, but was a general statement.)

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I think Chrom is one of the most likely to be in smash regardless, I just don't know what his moveset would be
Well, like I've said, the theme this time around seems to be "as unique as they can be" for newcomers, while still in some cases taking into account high popularity. (Mac, Mega Man, likely Chrom, etc.)

Honestly I feel like people are underestimating the potential uses of the Fire Emblem as a shield. Neither Ike or Marth have access to any kind of shield, and if ZSS can have jet boots, Chrom can have a sword and shield moveset where Link and Tink are based on swords+gadgets.

I also like the sound of leaping slash, and his aether being a gap closer, in contrast to Ike's.

IronFish

Smash Ace
Well, like I've said, the theme this time around seems to be "as unique as they can be" for newcomers, while still in some cases taking into account high popularity. (Mac, Mega Man, likely Chrom, etc.)

Honestly I feel like people are underestimating the potential uses of the Fire Emblem as a shield. Neither Ike or Marth have access to any kind of shield, and if ZSS can have jet boots, Chrom can have a sword and shield moveset where Link and Tink are based on swords+gadgets.

I also like the sound of leaping slash, and his aether being a gap closer, in contrast to Ike's.
I like the Idea of Aether being like quick draw but do a sword uppercut uppont hit and have a chance to heal like 5% or 10% damage

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
That's pretty much my favorite idea for it.

Watch them not change Ike's Quick Draw much, and then people start calling Chrom a clone...

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
This whole venom thing just reminds me that Lip isn't going to be in this game and people are sort of grasping at straws.

Alright, here's something to spawn interest.

Chrom reprising two of Roy's characteristics, the sword being the strongest at the center and the relatively high falling speed, with the ability to preform a pillar and has options to force to opponent near him into his sweetspots. Generally has a compromise between Marth's speed and Ike's power, though is faster and stronger in some aspects but slower and weaker in others. He'll have a move set that forces the opponent in the air and likewise punish them in the air, while at the same time still having options while firmly on the ground. Overall, a user friendly character with rush down tactics

Last edited:

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
This whole venom thing just reminds me that Lip isn't going to be in this game and people are sort of grasping at straws.

Alright, here's something to spawn interest.

Chrom reprising two of Roy's characteristics, the sword being the strongest at the center and the relatively high falling speed, with the ability to preform a pillar and has options to force to opponent near him into his sweetspots. Generally has a compromise between Marth's speed and Ike's power, though is faster and stronger in some aspects but slower and weaker in others. He'll have a move set that forces the opponent in the air and likewise punish them in the air, while at the same time still having options while firmly on the ground. Overall, a user friendly character with rush down tactics
Oddly enough, i could see Chrom getting an attack buff in the middle of the blade like Roy. Would people be happy if Chrom was basically Roy without fire and different specials? I know i would be. I'd just be happy Chrom was in the game...

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Marth and Ike have counter, they'll probably give Chrom as well. It could be like Melee Marth's counter that does like 5% but it'll lift the opponent in the air so you can continue with a combo. UpB can be generic like most characters, he can leap up with his sword. SideB could be sort of like Ike's but Chrom will pierce through like Falco. His B can be like Roy's or charging the Exalted Falchion. His normal A moves can be different from the rest, I have it in my mind. It's not much of a problem to come up with anyways.

By the way I haven't heard any complaining about Greninja having Pikachu's UpB, Counter like Lucario, Chargeable B like many others, Shadow Sneak like Meta Knight's Dimensional Cape. It's normal to have some similar moves. I'm not against Greninja by the way, he has my favorite moveset of the newcomers so far.

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
Throw me on the supporter list! I dig Chrom.
I also think chrom's in and would <3 to see him.
As long as the majority of smash japan players DOES NOT hate the idea of the next fire emblem char being added.
Then it all does is it makes Sakurai life easier by just adding him to the roster without hearing any complaints.

Last edited:

Rabbattack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RabbitLord443
3DS FC
1627-8463-7654
Chrom could have a different playing style, but the way I see it, Robin would be more unique and would have a much more different fighting style.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom